Geocoins relating to U.K. and Ireland.

Lactodorum

Stolen geocoins and their sale on eBay, etc.

Many of you who use this thread will know that there have been occasions when coins have been taken from caches and put up for sale on eBay. The matter has then been raised in the forums, and that's not always proved helpful in the long run. GAGB decided to investigate the position regarding the sale of such coins, and nobby.nobbs of GAGB's committee, an ex-police officer, has been in discussion with serving officers about this.

He's now posted a pinned thread here in GAGB's forums suggesting what may be the best approach if coins are taken and offered for sale in the future.

---

Bill, Chairman GAGB

Is there anyone out there who could help me put together the art work for a coin design? I have the entire idea for the coin in my head but i can barely draw a striaght line.

I want to make a coin or have 1 on the go before I move to Canada my lasting legacy if you will.

So anyone out there who would be prepared to help or give guidance it would be more than welcome, please feel free to message me.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Donmoore

The amount you get minted is eniterly up to you but the larger the number you get doen the cheaper they work out each as the postage, die fees and other charges get split between more coins. 500 is a good number if its a good design.

Ian

Edited by studlyone

whats the usual amount to get minted? 500?

Minting a minimum of 100 will be enough to make them trackable.

Mint over 250 and you will be able to have a custom icon on geocaching.com

I think it all depends on how much capital you have available to fund the project and how many you think you can sell in the end.

I found it a very enjoyable process seeing my drawing turn into a coin. Good luck!

I think it all depends on how much capital you have available to fund the project and how many you think you can sell in the end.

I found it a very enjoyable process seeing my drawing turn into a coin. Good luck!

I will hopefully go for 500 as I think that sems to be a fair number to get interest satisfied and see a good spread over the world (sounds like i'm taking over the world but you get my drift)

I will hopefully go for 500 as I think that sems to be a fair number to get interest satisfied and see a good spread over the world (sounds like i'm taking over the world but you get my drift)

I'd get some quotes first - then decide.

I've emailed everyone who had expressed an interest and orders are coming in. I've had more minted this year so hopefully we won't sell out quite so quickly this time.

There was an order placed of 230 in Antique Silver, 230 in Antique Copper and a Limited (not for sale) Edition of 40 in Antique Bronze.

The actual coins look like...

coins%20front.jpg

coins%20rear.jpg

and orders (where further inforamtion can be found) can be placed in our online store at...

Kernow Kachers Online Store

And I hope that all works...

and should I say - I have the coins in stock, here, ready to ship...

i like the latest coin images on this thread. some really nice creations for collecting and finding.

i hope that when ive got a few cache finds under my belt that i can start collecting :-)

Coin collecting is a slippery slope - geocaching is addictive enough :blink: . There are some beautifull designs available out there and I have to agree with you about the latest coins images they are very good.

Ian

Edited by studlyone

The UK Mega Event 2008 Geocoins are now available for pre-sale.

Out of the initial order of 500 of each, 170 have been sold in the last few days. If demand keeps up, we shall order some more.

You can find the link to the shop at The Mega Event Website

There are two versions available, each with it's own icon.

The silver version is available to all, and can either be picked up at the event, or can be posted as soon as we receive them from the mint. We are being nice, and aren't charging for delivery to the UK.

The Gold version is only available to those who are attending the event.

I've set the price at a very reasonable £5.25. The pictures below really don't do the quality any justice!

silver1b.jpg

silver2b.jpg

gold1b.jpg

gold2b.jpg

Rumor has it there is a further limited edition edition floating around somewhere :huh:

Fountains Abbey was chosen as it is a beautiful place to visit in the area, and is only a couple of miles from where the Mega Camping event is to be held.

My thanks go to Chris and Helen at Landsharkz for their help.

Edited by Jaz666

Just been poking about on Flebay and there are hardly any coins on there, 70 odd instead of the usual hundreds, anyone know what going on?

Cheers, Henry.

Ok, so Flebay have reset their seach function :ph34r:

Edited by L8HNB

The NW Geocoin

Coin Art

NWgeocoinProof.jpg

Coin Samples

NWproof.jpg

I'm advertising this coin for some friends. Please use the e-mail shown below to make your reservation as I won't be controlling the collection of funds or the dispatch of the coin - thanks.

There won't be a presale but they are now taking reservations. Coins are expected to arrive by the 31st July. Payment will then be due on coins that have been reserved.

Please get in touch with Scorpionqueen at e14l@btinternet.com

COIN STATS

Size: 38mm Diameter - 3mm thick

Finish: Black Nickel

Colours: 9 Front, 5 Back - Imitation Hard Enamel

Trackable: Yes, on geocaching.com with its own icon

NWgeocoinicon.gif

No. of coins available: 200 on a first come first served basis

Price: £5.00 each

Postage:

UK 1st Class: £0.55, £0.20 for each additional coin

Europe Airmail: £1.30, £0.20 for each additional coin

USA/Canada Airmail: £1.70, £0.20 for each additional coin

Postal insurance is available, drop Scorpionqueen and e-mail regarding rates.

Coin Description

The NW Geocoin has been put together by the members of the NWcaching forum to celebrate everything that makes the NW of england so great.

The coins front artwork features some of the famous and not so famous features of the NW and its history such as the canals, mills, football, fishing, the rocket, the Red Rose and of course rain. The people in the design are all match stalk men as a tribute to LS Lowry an incredibly talented artist who was only really appreciated after he passed away.

The rear of the coin has the tracking number in white and the phrase "Caching int' North West of England" above and around the NWcachers forum signature icon. The words trackable at geocaching.com is pressed into the coins periphery.

We hope you like the design as much as we do and you don't have to be from the NW to get one.

Coins are available for reservation now and we should have them in hand on or around the 31st July, at which point payment will be due.

Please get in touch with Scorpionqueen at e14l@btinternet.com

Edited by studlyone

The samples are now in, so I'm just getting the image out to guage level of early interest.

08edcfd4-e375-4618-9bc2-13e9f3afee94.jpg

b0ce415f-b241-4a3e-ad6d-349ad7d63108.jpg

Coin is 42mm Diameter, will only be available in Antique silver & Bronze.

There will be 500 coins in total available The exact numbers of each is yet to be decided.

Pricing only for silver at minute please hold back interest in Bronze as I might just do a limited run of them.

Antique Silver coin £5.50

There is a fixed packaging charge of £1 per order then postage being charged as First Class Letter within the UK, and as Small Packet to Europe and the Rest of the World as these are the most economic for everyone. If you wish to pay for a tracked service then International Signed for Delivery is an extra £3.50 per package. (That's the charge from the Royal Mail)

Features the outline map of Northern Ireland at the centre surrounded by 3 landmarks. The top left is one of the Giant cranes which tower over the shipyard in Belfast named 'Samson & Goliath' these are protected under the historic monuments act. Many people say the H & W stands for Hello and Welcome as they greet anyone who comes to Belfast, it is actually the name of the shipyard, Harland & wolff. Then going clockwise is one of the 7 natural wonders of the world the 'Giants Causeway' this unique rock form of 40,000 interlocking basalt columns draws many visitors to the North Coast of Northern Ireland. Finally the unmistakable image of the 'Titanic' probably the most famous ship ever built and was built in Belfast, work started in 1909 and set sail on her doomed maiden voyage in 1912.

Around the outer circle is 'Norn Iron' & 'Our Wee Country' this is how Northern Ireland is referred to affectionately by locals. Also is the words 'FAT LAD' this stands for each of the counties and was a way of teaching kids at school how to remember their counties which are named on the reverse. Each coin has its own unique number from 1 to 500 and is trackable and has its own icon on Geocaching.com

please message me if you are interested hopefully pre/orders will be ready in the next week or so.

Edited by Donmoore

Samples arrived today. So I have given the go ahead for the 300 silver and 200 Bronze coins to be minted. The websalessite will hopefully be ready soon.

Remember to contact me if you would like to register your interest early before I take it over the the pond.

I have to say I am impressed with the detail and how the coin feels in the hand!

1. Is it okay to make a coin related to a charity?
I believe that it has been done before with the breast cancer charity coin last year and the various poppy coins. Best bet would be to drop an e-mail to Rothstafari as he is the person at Groundspeak who approves all designs.
2. Is it okay to put a web address on a coin?
Yes this is acceptable, there are several coins in circulation with web addresses on them.

3. We want these coins to be seen by lots of people, so what would be a good number - 500?
Cost is your biggest issue, obviously a charity would have to write this money off if you are just giving the coins away as prizes - the more coins you make the more money the charity uses from its funds.

4. It is really important that the minting of the coin is ethical, how assured can we be that the mints follow ethical practises in the sourcing of materials and manufacture? (ie no child labour, decent working conditions/wages)
Good question, the chinese mints state that they are ethical, pay a good wage etc but you can't be sure as I doubt that anyone has the spare funds to check up on them.

5. We were thinking about having a few puzzle caches containing these coins as prizes - but would that mean they would disappear into collections rather than travel? Maybe we should just release lots of activated coins around the place?
Some will always disappear into peoples collections as with other coins and travel bugs. I'm an optimist and I'd like to think that lots of them would end up travelling but for how long - who knows.
6. The coin would be basically be the existing logo of the charity, would this make the design/handling work cheaper?
A design utiliting that logo would be fairly straight forward and not an issue as long as Groundspeak approve it which I believe they would. Your first port of call I suggest would be to e-mail the Rothster for an answer on the charity thing.

Ian

Edit - I hate the quote efature (must learn how to use it properly one day)

Edited by studlyone

Thanks for your kind comments and also for purchasing the coins I hope you get as much enjoyment out of them as I did with the process of bring them out.

Special Thanks must go to Studly and also Birdman who have been more than helpful throughout months of behind the scene work. Without them the coin might not have got made and possibly not be selling either.

Thanks Lads!

Strictly speaking, all Topics relating to the design, production and sale of new geocoins should be put in the Geocoins Discussions Forum. However, a couple of years ago, as more geocoins were appearing which related specifically to the UK, the UK Moderators decided to allow such geocoins to be promoted in one pinned thread at the top of this Forum.

I'm happy to continue this practice and so I'll merge this Topic into the pinned one.

Good luck with the coin. :D

mandarin

As I understand it from the pinned topic I'm ok to post this here, but if I need to post this as part of that pinned thread (as everyone else appears to have), then please quack at me Mandy Mandarin :)

We've had the sample images of the SideTracked geocoin from the mint :D

More images and info in the Geocoin forum here

A taster...

silverfrontsmpg4.jpg

Awww Mel, you tease, let's see the backside reverse side! :laughing:

The SideTracked coins are now ready to order!!!

The coins are in the UK (though not with me yet!) We aim to start shipping w/c 20/10/08 but the store is now open for orders!

http://www.kammneves.co.uk/st/index.php

Note that Hider coins are only available to HIDERS of SideTracked Caches - if you are NOT on the list, or do not provide your Caching name when ordering you will be sent SUPPORTER coins instead!

Is there a list anywhere of 'genuinely' British coins - I mean ones put together by British cachers not just highlighting British places. I'm taking part in a few coin exchanges on the coin board and would like to always include at least one British coin. So far I've sent out Cornwall coins (need some more) and NW coins but would like a few more to choose from.

Ness.

I'm creating a list - there are several still available (unlike the big coin stores who sell out within 24 hours or do pre-orders 'small' projects tend to have stock long after 'launch') The 2008 Cornish coin still ahs stock, as does the Berksire Search & Rescue

If you know of any others, please let me have the link/ contact e-mail and I'll add it

(edited to quote the correct post, I'll remember the button is at the bottom not the top ONE day!)

Edited by bikermel76

The pictures don't do them any justice, the details on the bears have exceeded my expectations. :laughing: They've arrived just in time as Kathy comes out of hospital tomorrow and I go to Canada tomorrow until the 16th December - I didn't think I'd get my grubby hands on one until I came back.

Edited by studlyone

OTT Team Roulette Geocoin - Cleaning out Stock

If you are interested in this coins, send an email to

geo_skull_coins@yahoo.com

OTT Team Roulette Geocoin

I can send invoices via PayPal. I'm trying to clear inventory before the end of the year.

1 Coin for $10.00

3 Coins for $28.00

5 Coins for $44.00

Just let me know if you are interested.

On a different note... Does anyone have the Astro Geocoin?