Q about Lowrance GPSrs and MapCreate 6.3 Topo

ICHTHYS

I am looking into upgrading from my Garmin Legend.

I can't find good info on the MapCreate 6.3 Topo maps for Lowrance.

Does this map software have good street level mapping as well as show lots of streams and rivers and lakes with good detail?

Also which units have the best reception in heavy tree cover? Expedition C or H2O C? Or are they similar?

Also, the plus packages, what maps come with those? Is that the MapCreate 6.3 Topo maps or different maps?

Edited by ICHTHYS

Lowrance mapping is very good. It has street level details (sometimes even old dirt roads) and it shows streams and waterways. I won't say it doesn't have it's glitches here and there, but it is very accurate. Lowrance mapping is just as good as what you will find from the other brands, if not a little better.

If I were to choose between the Expedition and the H20, the Expedition is the better unit. Reception is good on either, but the Expedition is newer and I'd say might have a more modern chipset. The screen on the Expedition is a little bigger and much clearer.

The plus packages come with 6.3 Topo.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Airmapper

Airmapper speaks the truth. I will only dispute one very minor point which is the size of the Expedition's screen in comparison. The Lowrance site shows both the H20 and Expedition as having the same size displays. I make this comment only because I cache with an H20 (and love it!) but part of me would like to upgrade to an Expedition and therefore I'm a bit sensitive. :P I can't speak for Garmin mapping but I do prefer Lowrance mapping over Magellans.

So the Mapcreate 6.3 Topo maps are not just Topo maps, but also include street level mapping as well as streams and rivers?

Also, the Lowrance website says that you must use an LEI branded memory card reader/writer for MapCreate™ 6.3 to work properly.

I can still use any SD/MMC card, I just need their reader/writer?

Edited by ICHTHYS

You need to use their card reader to register your SD Cards and, yes, you can use any SD card. Airmapper's website forums (check his sig for the link) has an ongoing discussion of people's success with different cards. I think you can use any reader after the card is registered, but someone else would have to confirm. I just use the LEI reader, and it works fine for me.

One minor clarification from my end. The OP was asking about the H2OC, not the H2O. I think the C was probably released about the same time as the Expedition and they both have 16-channels. These 16-channel receivers are those that are considered on-par with the Sirfs (and might even BE Sirfs -- nobody can confirm). The difference between the Expedition and the H2OC is that the Expedition has an electronic compass and barometer, so you have to choose whether you want these or not. My Lowrance has the electronic goodies and I really like them, but they do have a higher battery drain.

My experience with the mapping is as Airmapper says. It is very good, and really all manufacturers' mapping software is somewhat lacking compared to the mapping you can get for your PC. My experience with MapCreate is that the roads and POIs can be off a pretty good distance -- POIs in particular. It does have phone numbers and the such for POIs, and I don't believe other manufacturers' topo packages have this. One of the big reasons that I chose the Lowrance is that MapCreate advertised public hunting areas, parks, and other public areas of interest. I've found the software to be very comprehensive with this data. Additionally, my experience has been that it is spot-on with streams, lakes and other off-road data. Overall, I'd agree that Lowrance's software is a little better.

Well I got my Expedition C and Mapcreate 6.3 for christmas. Although I love the versatility of the Expedition C (Land/water) I am very dissapointed in the Mapcreate software. There are more streets that just don't line up with your actual position than do!!!!

I'm in So. California, Temecula and commute to San Diego. Many of the streets in San Diego by the ocean and bays are actually shown as being in the water. Some Temecula streetsis are really bad, streets are off by up to 500 feet in some areas, which to me is unacceptable. I can't believe Lowrance has not worked this out by now this is like the 6th version of Mapcreate now. I talked to a tech at Lowrance who knew less about GPS than I do and I'm new to this. She was shocked when I pointed out the streets that are in the water around Mission Bay, SD. She pulled them up on her computer and said Oh dear I hope they are going to fix that in Mapcreate 7.

How come at the very least we can't edit the maps ourselves. You should be able to take your chip out of your IFinder put it back in your computer and adjust the roads according to your track lines. Map CREATE, means I should be able to "CREATE" my own maps. If I want to put the inner roads from a mall on my map I should be able to. If there is a new road, I should be able to add it and make it look professional. If there is a mistake on the Mapcreate maps, It would be nice to be able to fix that myself. Until Lowrance gets ther act together. I would save my money and go with another maker. The fact that you can only use their software doesn't help their cause either. If thats the case you better get it right LOWRANCE!!

Edited by sardiver3
How come at the very least we can't edit the maps ourselves. You should be able to take your chip out of your IFinder put it back in your computer and adjust the roads according to your track lines. Map CREATE, means I should be able to "CREATE" my own maps. If I want to put the inner roads from a mall on my map I should be able to. If there is a new road, I should be able to add it and make it look professional. If there is a mistake on the Mapcreate maps, It would be nice to be able to fix that myself. Until Lowrance gets ther act together. I would save my money and go with another maker. The fact that you can only use their software doesn't help their cause either. If thats the case you better get it right LOWRANCE!!

sardiver3,

I don't think you will find any GPSr's software that will do what you are asking. There is the ability to modify and create your own maps with specialized software for the Lowrance and other units, but it is labor intensive.

If you need auto navigation abliity, then a different brand that uses newer Navonics road mapping may be what you are looking for.

I think you will find problems with every unit. But, if Lowrance falls behind and other units meet your needs, then I would return the iFinder and get the one you like. No sense holding on to something that just dissappoints you.

BTW, this is JMHO.

Z