Explorist 500 bundle $189.00

GP-Hiker

Go to buydig.com they have the Explorist 500 bundle with Mapsend DirectRoute, windshield mount and all accessories for $189.00 with free shipping. The free shipping says 8-10 days, I received mine in 2 1/2 days.

I had a problem unlocking the DirectrRoute program due to my losing my internet connection (dial-up) and I needed to contact Magellan customer support. I must say they took care of me. I was very pleased with the results, It was quick and the person was very pleasant. The 500 is great, color, auto route, geocach manager, expandable memory (currently using a 1 gig stick). This is definitely one sweet unit for the price. Now I just need to get the Topo maps for it.

The Explorist 500 is now discontinued. If you go to the Magellan web site you won't see it listed any more.

That's not to say it's not a good unit, but it does explain why everyone has it on sale. You shouldn't have any trouble getting maps for it. They will still be available for years to come.

The Explorist 500 is discontinued. The 500 LE is the replacement. Same unit, but it uses the AAA battery clip instead of the rechargable Li-ion battery. Costco currently has a great bundle deal for $179 including the Topo3D software:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11173766

There is a similar thread going here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=149272

I'm off to research Garmin units. :anitongue:

John