Toot your own horn! :)

To counter some of the ill feelings from the last few days I present this lighthearted thread:

What is the nicest thing you have ever done for another Geocacher?

This is your chance to brag about your own good side, if you have one :P

Haven't really done much myself beyond the usual, drying out wet caches, placing nice SWAG, checked out and confirmed a muggled cache for the owner, etc.

But I'm sure the more experienced cachers have better tales to tell so come on, strut your stuff, toot your own horn, set an example for the newbs on how geocachers should behave. ;)

;) Not much of a Horn-Tooter, but this one event comes to mind (ancient Histroy) August 2003.

August 13, 2003 by GIDEON-X (317 found)

Found it and then some ~~~~ Got to the site at 06:05 Hours, I parked down the street from the cache site and walled to it ~~~ WOW nothing but a few spiders in back of the meter, As I was standing there pondering the situation , this fellow (Carlos) comes up to me and ask's what I am looking for ~~~ I say a little black box, oh yes I have it at my house he says. Ok Fine we get in my vehicle and run to his house (about a mile away) He jumps out and gets the tin ~~~ Wow it's all there log book, trade goods ~~~ I explain to him in my best (kitchen spanish) what caching is, he seemed to crasp what I was saying. It seems the the magnet came off and the tin fell down, where he found it

I have the cache, will replace the magnets, and take it back to Algodones in the AM (used the $2.00 bill from the cache to purcase the magnets)

Left a card and a Delaware Quarter, singed the log

As can be surmized this cache is in Mexico, and I thought at the point in time it was the thing to do (no biggie) I'm in and out of the town quite often. (ten miles from my Digs in Yuma,AZ)............. :P GCGA7A the owner is in Las Vegas, and the cache has been archived (it's still there and get a log every now and then)

Edited by GIDEON-X

I replaced a cache that I broke, with a bigger, and better container.

One for the Fisherman

October 11 by Kit Fox (957 found)

I visited the cache at 0605 hrs, to bag the Green Jeep. Unfortunately, I get the dubious distinction of being the first person to "break the fish." As I was recovering the "fish," he came off the hook and dove head first, back into his pond. The fish managed to shatter his skull, and I was able to carefully retrieve him. He is is no shape to be recovered again, until he gets surgery.

Marty,

I have your "fish" in my car, call me later, and i'll help you fix him, after I get off work.

Back in March of 2004 I'd only been geocaching for a few months but was so excited with the sport that my friend Simulatmore and I hosted a Meet and Greet at a local state park. The park is essentially a huge lake with an eight mile long trail around it. We had planted several caches in advance of the event and were enjoying the day with the 30 or so people who showed up. Toward the end of the evening, as it was starting to get dark, there were still three people known to be out on the trail: Grandma & Grandpa and their granddaughter Piglet. We contacted them via radio and they described where they were - still about two miles away by trail. Grandpa had hurt his foot and we knew it would take them at least another couple of hours to hike out. I'd already loaded up my canoe but knew it was the best way to rescue the trio from a long walk in the woods at night so back into the water it went.

I paddled toward the upper end of the lake, calling out their names in the gathering darkness, my voice echoing like the taunting cries of a thousand ghosts. At long last I heard another voice and saw a rustling in the tree line. It was them! It was a real "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" moment.

The three of them made their way down to the clay bank and carefully boarded my canoe. It became immediately obvious that my canoe was NOT meant to hold four people as it was unstable and wanted to flip! We had to get our CG lower so Grandma, Piglet and I sat on the floor of the canoe. Grandpa's leg still hurt so he stayed in the seat. It was still a little heavy but just stable enough not to flip if we didn't make any sudden moves. All aboard, we very gingerly made out way back to the boat ramp. You can read Grandma & Grandpa's account of the event by clicking here.

I am really proud to see that hardly anyone has posted here!

That tells me a lot about geocachers!

I know cachers who regularly do selfless things, who help others, and don't think a thing about it; they expect and ask for nothing in return, and surely won't mention it in a "Toot your own horn" context!

You know who you are - now know that I thank and appreciate you!

OP - If you really want to get some interesting responses rephrase the question to Toot Somebody Else's Horn - get folks to tell you about someone who has done something nice!

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

OP - If you really want to get some interesting responses rephrase the question to Toot Somebody Else's Horn - get folks to tell you about someone who has done something nice!

Ed

That is what El Diablo is doing in his latest giveaway. Seemed a bit redundant to do it again.

And it isn't bragging, it's to inspire similier behavior in others, positive reinforcement.

And it isn't bragging, it's to inspire similier behavior in others, positive reinforcement.

A thread that shows how it ought to be done, hence the post from us.We did it with no hope of reward or recognition, but simply to help out a fellow cacher who was unable to maintain a nice hide at the time. It was worth every step just knowing that it was the right thing to do, as he had led us on a 17 mile adventure in a nice preserve, at no cost to us. Just trying to pay it back, is all.