There can only be one !

Noddy

How and how many points are allocated for the abovementioned achievements?

Points awarded for:

- Number of caches visitied (25 points per cache)

- Distance Traveled (1 point per kilometer) [values are rounded down per trip]

- Number of South African provinces visited (100 points per provice)

Where is the finish.

We are still looking for a cache in Kzn to host the finish line. This will be pubished in the next three days.

Two more rules:

* Bugs can only collect points for South African distance, provinces and caches.

* Posting/ overnight express of bugs will be classified as foul play and the bug will be penalised. Only traditional geocaching travel is allowed.

just had a quick thought.... what if there was a different bonus cache every month, where you can get an extra 10 points if your bug visits that cache in that particular month?

could make the journey more interesting ;)

bonus thought: what if the bonus cache counted for 100 points, and moved from province to province each month? just to make everything fair and objective, you could publish the list of bonus caches (and their respective months) before-hand - then just sit back and watch those TB's fly!!

Edited by Team_Farmers

RACE UPDATE

Race update for the end of January. The current positions are listed below, I apologise for the lateness of the update but will try and keep them as close to the end of each month as possible.

It seems like some bugs are still lavishing in Mpumalanga and most competitors owe their thanks to Fish Eagle and GPS Storm for keeping the bugs moving and running them into Gauteng.

Two months till the first “chopping” occurs, better keep those bugs moving.

It has been decided that a new cache will be placed in Durban for the finish line. Once a bug crosses this line his race is done, so, don’t cross it too early.

01. 706 - Half Bait - QFC

02. 700 - P-38 - GlobalRat

03. 685 - Mickey Racer - TeamTGF

04. 655 - Frustrated 4x4 - warthog

05. 655 - Lazer Razer - cache-fan

06. 614 - Noddy on a mission - Noddy

07. 611 - Strandloper - Whostops

08. 609 - Behind the Mask - B. Whelan

09. 604 - Terri Tiger - Seeker Two

10. 603 - Little Penguin Farmer - Team_Farmers

11. 595 - Mpumalanga Cache Adventures - ZA & Sq

12. 344 - Baiesukkel - Guineafowl

13. 288 - Message in a bottle - bats and squir

14. 239 - Stormer's Racing Bike - Stormers

15. 237 - James' leaping lizard - colinaly

16. 235 - TB Cache Surfin' - The Huskies

17. 210 - Rupert Rex - TVM

18. 192 - TF Are we there yet? - Trackinfind

19. 161 - Die Rooi Gevaar - cownchicken

20. 161 - Bolivian Bob - Discombob

I will be off to Mpumalanga on Sunday until Tuesday and will attempt to "rescue" as many of the Race TBs as possible.

Bribes of any kind (monetry or of the liquid type) accepted :)

Those who shout the loudest will be heard first :)

If you have any special requets, i.e. to not move your TB, etc. please post it here and I will check again on Sunday before I leave for Mpumalanga.

Phew! Just finished our third Race TB collection run - hot as hell in the Lowveld today!!!

A few hundred metres hike feels like a few kilos. We wanna get into that "liquid refreshment" Q2 (queue too). Hey that's cool, how about that - getting into this new-fangled SMS-speak!!

The race TB's are now all present and correct, in the right places, and waiting for Wart-a-Gate - Wart as in Warthog, and Gate as in Stargate. 6 are in Melodies cache in Nelspruit, 1 is in Nelspruit Nighttime cache, and 2 are in Dont Know When on Long Tom Pass - all Wart-a-Gate pitstops. Chevron 7 is locked, etc, etc, and ready for action....

And to the Kaapenaars - hey sorry, don't know why your TB's got left for last??? Certainly wasn't intentional, and quite a coincidence. With our previous two Race TB collection runs, we just went out and harvested whatever Race TB's we could lay our hands on, and moved them to Pretoria - really didn't know who's is who's, and it's weird that the Cape ended up being left behind for last (but not least!).

The first batch we spread around Pretoria area because we were caching up there, the second batch Lindy was on a business trip, and could only get to 2 caches - so, many TB's ended up in 2 caches. Fortunately, Warthog was there within 2 days, and moved them on quickly - thanks. For this, the third wave, we knew Warthog was coming down now, and have been slowly but surely trying to get them together, awaiting his arrival. So, you guys who were worrying about your TB's lying in Melodies, and in our rucksack for 10 days - it was actually part of a plan...

Anyway, bon voyage, all the Race TB's. Take it all, but take it easy!!!!

Sad that the race started in MPU at a bad time when we're going through a slump - for a variety of reasons, some of our active cachers are temporarily low profile (and of course, everybody's sticking band-aids onto their post-Xmas wallets!!!).

PS: Well done Kaapenaars!! Think you've got a good thing going with this looking for sympathy thing..... Your TB's will be in Gauteng soon, fighting it out on an even playing field, except everybody feels sorry for you guys!!! Great ploy!!

Race Update - February

:D Now that the Captonians has calmed down and put ideas of a conspiracy behind them (nice work Warthog! we were so close to beating them!), the race has moved along nicely with all of the bugs having visited 2 provinces (I do apologise for the earlier 3 province confusion, they missed the 3rd province by 10 km).

:D Please remember that at the end of this month (March) bug will be chopped from the race! MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT AT THE BOTTOM! Beg, borrow, steal to get you bug ahead and away from last position.

:D Only one bug has been penalised for breaking the rules so far, but is still racing (at the bottom of the pack). Please read the rules and try and stick to them.

Below are the current race standings.

01 - 705 - Messageinabottle - batsgonemad and his squirrel

02 - 670 - Half Bait - QFC

03 - 646 - Lazer Razer - cache-fan

04 - 640 - Frustrated 4x4 - warthog

05 - 628 - Baiesukkel - Guineafowl

06 - 622 - Mickey Racer - TeamTGF

07 - 601 - Terri Tiger - Seeker Two

08 - 600 - TF Are we there yet? - Trackinfind

09 - 600 - P-38 - GlobalRat

10 - 595 - Bolivian Bob - Discombob

11 - 592 - James' leaping lizard - colinaly

12 - 590 - Little Penguin Farmer - Team_Farmers

13 - 576 - TB Cache Surfin' - The Huskies

14 - 569 - Die Rooi Gevaar - cownchicken

15 - 569 - Stormer's Racing Bike - Stormers

16 - 539 - Noddy on a mission - Noddy

17 - 536 - Strandloper - Whostops

18 - 534 - Behind the Mask - B. Whelan

19 - 520 - Mpumalanga Cache Adventures - ZAlandyman & Susieq

20 - 520 - Rupert Rex - Tricky Vicky & Mickey

<_< Please note that one more rule has been added to the list:

- Like posting/ couriering a bug is illegal, Star Gating a bug across the country is also illegal!

Hey TVM,

It is not your bug that has been penalised. Noddy's bug :blink: was moved between three caches by a single cacher and was docked for two of the moves.

You just need to inspire some JHB cachers to get out there and get you bug off the chopping block :blink: and be placed. It looks like Nish4 has your bug, so give him a shout and see if he can place it in of the vall or Vereniging caches (scoring you another province and 50 odd kilometers!)

Happy racing, sorry that you fee picked on... :blink:

!Save Rupert! :)

This is an urgent call to help safe Rupert Rex from being axed!! Please guys, get him going! Cheers Trackinfind

It seems like Rec has managed to save himself, maybe if people ask nicely he will be the first to make the trans-african express flight to CT.

Quarter Month Update - March

On a small update note, Frustrated 4x4 has hopped to the front with a sneaky trip to the Free State! Some the "original" fore-runners are dropping down the ranks, since that are in caches that arent visited too often. There are a number of JHB-CT "trans-african" trips occuring in the month so we are looking at some big numbers.

Don't forget about the "Quickening" at the end of the month.

This race is far from over....

Unfortunately have to report the fist casualty in the Travel Bug race 2007. Checked Tukkies cache today after Globalrat reported an empty container. Sorry to say, the container is / was the actual cache but all contend is gone including TB “Behind the Mask”.

Don’t know if is allowed to re-enter the race using the copy tag of the original, if yes B. Whelan can send it to me to continue from Tukkies???

Sorry from cache Fan

March Update - end of month!

There can be only one! On contestant has gone missing, and one has lost his head. After a hard fight and lots of travelling in Mpumalanga, Mpumalanga Cache Adventures has lost its head. It travelled 331 kilometres, visited 4 caches and crossed 2 provinces.

Behind the Mask unfortunately fell foul of muggles who held him down and took head. Our sympathies go out to its owner.

The race standings as of 31 March are as follows with the frustrated 4*4 ripping up the road!

01 - 2598 - Frustrated 4x4

02 - 2485 - Baiesukkel

03 - 2363 - Half Bait

04 - 2261 - Mickey Racer

05 - 2142 - Lazer Razer

06 - 1251 - P-38

07 - 981 - James' leaping lizard

08 - 897 - Bolivian Bob

09 - 880 - Message in a bottle

10 - 868 - Die Rooi Gevaar

11 - 860 - Strandloper

12 - 823 - TF Are we there yet?

13 - 815 - Little Penguin Farmer

14 - 740 - TB Cache Surfin'

15 - 725 - Terri Tiger

16 - 718 - Rupert Rex

17 - 673 - Noddy on a mission

18 - 369 - Stormer's Racing Bike

Good luck to all.

It seems that the Cape bugs have finally been “rescued” and I am sure that we can see a lot more movement in this month of public holidays.

( I appologise for the lateness of this post, but work has been hectic this week and the other organiser is lazy : P )

"Almost month end" April Update

As April draws to a close some bugs seem to be bulleting through the country while others have been dealt a horrible blow that may end friendships, coffee and beer, hopefully not lives (of the owners that is).

Please once again will all race bug owners click update milage on their bug's page so that I can have accurate results to work off at the end of the month. Please do this as close to the end of the month since I work off the geocaching bug page and do not question the numbers (unless they are totally messed).

Pos Points TB

01 4358 - Baiesukkel

02 4137 - Mickey Racer

03 3926 - Frustrated 4x4

04 3039 - P-38

05 2957 - Die Rooi Gevaar

06 2870 - Lazer Razer

07 2484 - James' leaping lizard

08 2445 - Half Bait

09 2206 - TF Are we there yet?

10 2163 - TB Cache Surfin'

11 2101 - Rupert Rex

12 1365 - Message in a bottle

13 1062 - Terri Tiger

14 1022 - Bolivian Bob

15 0876 - Little Penguin

16 0859 - Strandloper

17 0850 - Stormer's Racing Bike

18 0723 - Noddy on a mission

[Chopped] 0631 - Mpumalanga Cache Adventures

[MIA] 0603 - Behind the Mask

Noddy on a mission, Strandlooper and Little Penguin Farmer need to get a move on and it is more than likely that one of these bugs is going to loose their head.

APRIL UPDATE - End of Month

Noddy on a Mission Obituary

It is a very sad day, as we say good bye to Noddy on a mission. He had such high hopes to see the country and surviving closer to the end. He bright colours, happy face must have upset the swordman. We wish him well on his journeys outside the race.

Who will be next???

Pos TB Points

1. James' leaping lizard 4783

2. Baiesukkel 4357

3. Mickey Racer 4162

4. Frustrated 4x4 3925

5. P-38 3143

6. Die Rooi Gevaar 3108

7. Lazer Razer 2870

8. Half Bait 2445

9. TF Are we there yet? 2343

10. TB Cache Surfin' 2298

11. Rupert Rex 2254

12. Stormer's Racing Bike 2110

13. Message in a bottle 1364

14. Terri Tiger 1062

15. Bolivian Bob 1022

16. Little Penguin Farmer 981

17. Strandloper 965

Chopped Noddy on a mission 924

With only 29 days to go to the next time the swordman will appear, we suggest that you get out there get you bug on the move.

Good Luck to one and all.

Edited by Noddy
:cool: Sorry to bring the news of the second casualty in the race - Terri tiger is no longer living in geocaching country. Sadly, he had to depart (against his will - believe me!!) to muggle land. I only found a destroyed cache hole when I went to recue him - but too late. :cool: I could see the signs of how he tried to defend himself against the muggles, but they were too strong for him. He even tried to use the help of a rubber snake, but all in vein. Sorry Seeker two!!

Just to leave a thought in the Race Managers' minds (not must space there, so I'll keep it short) :huh:

As with the South African Survivor challenge, maybe we can get these poor TBs that die an early death, to come to life again using a copy tag and these then get a three month "ghost" race against each other (July to September) for a single spot back into the race. Obvisouly only points gaineed over this three month period will count.

What's your views?

And no, an owner knowing that he/she is about to loose/get chopped can not muggle his own race bug!

Warthog, you b$#%@rd. <_<

You just want me to pull out geocachingranking code again and add more features to the site don't you. <_<

The race organisers have discussed this before though, when the first TB fell at the hands of the muggles. Though we were not clever enough to realise the "survivor" potential of the plan. I will have to discuss this with the other organisers and a feel from the contestants. We were thinking more along the lines of only resurecting MIA bugs since they missed out on their race.

Once this is all dont I will see what I can do with the site to display relevant information.

Thanks for the suggestion and the supporting comments.

OK, let me clarify what I actually meant in my previous email.

The "new" race should only be for those race bugs that fell in the hands of muggles, i.e. those that went missing DURING the race.

Obvisouly as per Team Farmers' email, these will have a disadvantage against the existing race bugs, so how about we have a cut-off say end of September for MIA's, giving our MIA's a three month "ghost race" against each other. We then record their end of September distances and during the "ghost race" calculate their distances and points by subtracting their end of September distances, thus giving all MIA's the same fighting change.

Maybe we can sponsor an unactivated TB for the winner of the ghost race (fitting pirce for a MIA TB) :laughing:

OK, let me clarify what I actually meant in my previous email.

The "new" race should only be for those race bugs that fell in the hands of muggles, i.e. those that went missing DURING the race.

Obvisouly as per Team Farmers' email, these will have a disadvantage against the existing race bugs, so how about we have a cut-off say end of September for MIA's, giving our MIA's a three month "ghost race" against each other. We then record their end of September distances and during the "ghost race" calculate their distances and points by subtracting their end of September distances, thus giving all MIA's the same fighting change.

Maybe we can sponsor an unactivated TB for the winner of the ghost race (fitting pirce for a MIA TB) :laughing:

As already mentioned by Cache Fan at this forum due to the first race bug been muggled in one of our caches, the idea using the copy to re-enter the race was already suggested. Never mind how the distances will be calculated (will leave it to organizer), but to re-enter is fair to do.

I am happy to sponsor the unactivated TB for the winner of the "ghost" race.

May Update

Another one bites the dust. It seems like movement in the race has slowed drastically for some race contestants and is consistant (even with some devious moves) for others.

Since Noddy was choppeds (DEAD as he put it there has been a tight race for the chopping block between Whostop's Strandlooper and Team_Farmers' Little penguin farmer. Here where I say tight race I actually mean no movement for the ENTIRE Month!

Since there are still 12 hours left in this month I can not officially cull the unworthy racer, so let this be a warning to the two bugs in trouble.... Time to run!

Current Race Standings

01 - 5226 - Colinaly - James' leaping lizard

02 - 5080 - Guineafowl - Baiesukkel

03 - 4285 - TeamTGF - Mickey Racer

04 - 4008 - The Huskies - TB Cache Surfin'

05 - 3925 - Warthog - Frustrated 4x4

06 - 3218 - Cownchicken - Die Rooi Gevaar

07 - 3143 - GlobalRat - P-38

08 - 3085 - Trackinfind - TF Are we there yet?

09 - 2870 - cache-fan - Lazer Razer

10 - 2477 - QFC - Half Bait

11 - 2362 - Tricky Vicky & Mickey - Rupert Rex

12 - 2109 - Stormers - Stormer's Racing Bike

13 - 1831 - Discombob - Bolivian Bob

14 - 1390 - batsgonemad and his squirrel - Message in a bottle

[MIA] - Seeker Two - Terri Tiger

15 - 0981 - Team_Farmers - Little Penguin Farmer

16 - 0965 - Whostops - Strandloper (soon to loose his head)

[Chopped] - Noddy - Noddy on a mission

[Chopped] ZAlandyman & Susieq - Mpumalanga Cache Adventures

[MIA] - B. Whelan - Behind the Mask

By a ball hair indead! :rolleyes: Congrats Strandlooper you live to fight another day!

01 - 5226 - Colinaly - James' leaping lizard

02 - 5080 - Guineafowl - Baiesukkel

03 - 4285 - TeamTGF - Mickey Racer

04 - 4008 - The Huskies - TB Cache Surfin'

05 - 3925 - Warthog - Frustrated 4x4

06 - 3218 - Cownchicken - Die Rooi Gevaar

07 - 3143 - GlobalRat - P-38

08 - 3085 - Trackinfind - TF Are we there yet?

09 - 2870 - cache-fan - Lazer Razer

10 - 2477 - QFC - Half Bait

11 - 2362 - Tricky Vicky & Mickey - Rupert Rex

12 - 2109 - Stormers - Stormer's Racing Bike

13 - 1831 - Discombob - Bolivian Bob

14 - 1577 - Whostops - Strandloper

15 - 1390 - batsgonemad and his squirrel - Message in a bottle

[MIA] - Seeker Two - Terri Tiger

[CHOPPED] - 16 - 0981 - Team_Farmers - Little Penguin Farmer

[Chopped] - Noddy - Noddy on a mission

[Chopped] ZAlandyman & Susieq - Mpumalanga Cache Adventures

[MIA] - B. Whelan - Behind the Mask

Sorry little penguin farmer, you are the weakest link... good bye...

Sorry little penguin farmer, you are the weakest link... good bye...

What if the "Penquin" in MIA ? :rolleyes:

At the time of the culling the MIA status of "Penquin" was not known, please will the owners of the last cache the TB was in check and confirm if this bug is missing.

If the bug is missing please will the owner mark it as missing.