New Guideline Wishlist

Clan Riffster

I happen to belong to that group of cachers who feel there are enough guidelines in this game we all love so much, so this question would be purely hypothetical to me. Assume for debate's sake that you don't belong to this group. If Jeremy called you at home and said "_____________, (<~~Insert Name) We need one more guideline to round off our list, and I've decided to let you pick it for us". What would that guideline be?

1 GC# = not more than 1 smilie

I like that one. Love the events that some people attend 50+ times.

I would be happy to have/support that as a new rule as long as folks previous multiple smileys were grandfathered.

I never practiced it myself, but I refuse to look down upon folks enjoying the game in their own way. It takes nothing at all away from me.

I'd just like to see the existing guidelines enforced better. There are lots of caches too close to railroad tracks and bridges and.....

NO NO NO NO NO! They are guidelines, not rules.

Guidelines are for people who enjoy geocaching.

Rules are for people who think they know what other geocachers should be doing.

I believe the 'too close to railroad rule' was to avoid trespassing problems, railroads are really picky about this. ITS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE! The busiest railroad is way safer then a country back road. You know the train is coming, you know exactly where it is going to pass you.

I have a cache is 10' from a railroad, but it is on the other side of a fence, and in a city park, with a playground about 20' away.

I'd just like to see the existing guidelines enforced better. There are lots of caches too close to railroad tracks and bridges and.....
NO NO NO NO NO! They are guidelines, not rules. Guidelines are for people who enjoy geocaching. Rules are for people who think they know what other geocachers should be doing.
The guideline states: "Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports." I have seen caches in violation of this guideline. But according to you, since these are just guidelines and not rules, then we don't have to follow them because "Guidelines are for people who enjoy geocaching."
I believe the 'too close to railroad rule' was to avoid trespassing problems, railroads are really picky about this. ITS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE! The busiest railroad is way safer then a country back road. You know the train is coming, you know exactly where it is going to pass you. I have a cache is 10' from a railroad, but it is on the other side of a fence, and in a city park, with a playground about 20' away.
Where did I say it was a safety issue? I have seen caches in violation of this guideline.

Anyhow, your attitude just proved my original point. According to you, since these are just guidelines and not rules, then we don't have to follow them because "guidelines are for people who enjoy geocaching....."

So if people don't think they have to follow the existing guidelines then why make more of them?

Edited by TrailGators

Anyhow, your attitude just proved my original point. According to you, since these are just guidelines and not rules, then we don't have to follow them because "guidelines are for people who enjoy geocaching....."

Here's a better way to think of it. Guidelines allow reasonable exceptions, rules are hard and fast - no exceptions.

There's a difference between a covered bridge across a small stream in hicksville, and say, the Chesapeake Bay bridge. A cache under/near the first likely won't cause any problems. A cache under the second will likely result in the bomb squad showing up.

Here's a better way to think of it. Guidelines allow reasonable exceptions, rules are hard and fast - no exceptions.

There's a difference between a covered bridge across a small stream in hicksville, and say, the Chesapeake Bay bridge. A cache under/near the first likely won't cause any problems. A cache under the second will likely result in the bomb squad showing up.

Very well stated! But when I read many newspaper articles about geocaches being removed by bomb squads (posted in other threads) then it does show that the guidelines are not clear to many.

Very well stated! But when I read many newspaper articles about geocaches being removed by bomb squads (posted in other threads) then it does show that the guidelines are not clear to many.

Many?? You must read a lot. I've only seen a few. ... nor is is clear whether the "Bomb Squad Caches" are a result of placement or of chance.

Many?? You must read a lot. I've only seen a few. ... nor is is clear whether the "Bomb Squad Caches" are a result of placement or of chance.
For a start enter "geocache bomb" into Google and scan through some of the stuff that comes up.... :P

Personally I think most bomb squad caches are "chance", but chance is made more likely by poor hiding or extremely suspicious acting cachers.

In most of the bomb squad caches I've read about, I don't recall a lot of clearly evident guidelines violations.

But even the covered bridge in the middle of nowhere will garner concern if the cache is found by someone who calls first and investigates later (I would not take anyone to task on the wisdom of that "policy"). These bridges, while not particularly likely to be terrorist targets, ARE often targets of vandals and arsonists.

Perhaps we need a new guideline that caches in muggle territory MUST BE WELL HIDDEN.

All geocachers need to use common sense when placing caches and the guidelines even say this: "For all cache types please be sensible when choosing your location for cache placement. Please be aware of what may be a perceived to a non geocacher as dangerous or questionable behavior." So if there was a bomb scare then the "Please be aware..." part of the guideline was probably not considered for most of them.

Anyhow, there are so many good places to hide caches that we shouldn't have to flirt with disaster and ignore well-intentioned guidelines to hide them! So let's all try to follow the guidelines we have and err on the side of caution! :P

Edited by TrailGators