The Best Hider

StarBrand

the best camo hider is Posen hes got the strangest containers and the best camos a lot of his caches have been awarded MNGCA's cache of the month.

as of numbers in our area King Boreas by far wins that he has the most caches placed by any user in the world. yep hes #1 but he usually is good on where he hides his caches but having over 1,000 not everyone can be properly camoed so a lot are un camoed.

Pittsburgh: The Leprechauns (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...The+Leprechauns)

Lep's caches offer something for everyone--there are some with longer, more difficult hikes, others that are just nice walks in parks, and some in more suburban/urban areas. He's got everything from micros to large drybox hides.

One common theme...they are NEVER as straightforward as they seem! :):laughing::)

Unfortunately in my area, due to a lack of cachers, I am. :laughing:

I'm hoping some of the local will start hiding more than just generic Glad-ware with McToys in it, so I've been trying to set an example.

I've hidden a series of nanos and a 5-gallon cache. I've camoed my containers. I put out some themed caches. I have the only puzzle cache in over 50 miles of here.

I think it's working though. Last fall, before it got to cold, some other cachers started putting out some imaginative caches and some multis. :)

I hope someone will take over as the best hider. It won't hurt my feelings. Of course I'll keep hiding the best caches I can. :)

Edited by Totem Clan
A little bit north of here, in the lower-mid Hudson Valley, my vote would be for Jonboy/Darielle. They have a great mix of relatively easy terrain hides and some real challenges I have yet to do. Most of his hides are tied in to real awesome views.

I have to agree with Jonboy. Every one of his caches that I've done were awesome. He picks out outstanding views and most of them are great hikes, though sometimes quite challenging.

I will be making some caches this spring, but I have to figure out where to put them. I like to do ones or find them that blend with the environment. Make them really guess where it is.

Yes Totem Clan has awesome caches. I'm part of them before I decided to get my own account. We still have TC as a family for the smaller ones though. But it is mostly my husband.

Here in Central PA, I'll have to nominate these three Hiders:

Evil urban camo: - Saral3

Caches with a theme and all-around fun event caches: - CCCooperagency

Hidden right under your nose: DoverDoggs

There are a lot of other good cachers around here that put out some wonderful stuff for me to find but these three have placed some of the finest memorable hides.

A little bit north of here, in the lower-mid Hudson Valley, my vote would be for Jonboy/Darielle. They have a great mix of relatively easy terrain hides and some real challenges I have yet to do. Most of his hides are tied in to real awesome views.

I have to agree with Jonboy. Every one of his caches that I've done were awesome. He picks out outstanding views and most of them are great hikes, though sometimes quite challenging.

One of these days we'll get out to Joisey and try to find some of your hides (one of our first ever finds was actually one of your rare hides on our side of the Hudson, SkiGirl43's now archived Old Put cache). I have a feeling if we lived on your side of the river where it says "Jonboy" above would be replaced with you :D

Your tribute to Helmut Mueller of "Skully and Mulder" fame was very classy and honorable (another cache we have to get to one day, can't believe it's been a year now).

In the Central Ohio area, I can think of three cache hiders who are "best" for different reasons:

dreamer'sspykids have a knack for hiding caches at great places to visit, both historically and in terms of scenery.

TeamGuisinger hide what are so far my most challenging caches, in the nearby Perry County area. They're the sorts of caches you just know are going to take some time and effort to come up with.

Lastly, sracer hides terrific caches which are often easy to get to but tough to find and/or retrieve.

There are other great hiders in my area, and I don't mean to take anything away from their hides, but these three deserve to be on any "best hider" list.

--Larry

:D Thanks Larry. It's been quite awhile since I've been on here, and am surprised the talk about me is good. Jen and I went to the last meet & eat in Logan, and a guy actually walked up, introduced himself, and said"I hate you." Apparently time spent at BRIDGE is messing with some cachers personal well being. Surely it didn't affect you too? :D Well, I placed another slightly more evil one a couple miles down the road. If you like logging DNFs, you'll love this one.

Again, many thanks for the kind words. I tend to take the hard route when hiding. I find the spot before I make the cache container.(If I don't make them from scratch, I camo the crap out of them.) Then I think about how most people hunt caches.(Which can be picked up at any event cache, or cache watching one of your own.) Then I hide the complete opposite. One great tip I'll give out for hiding this way. Find a spot that is loaded with places to hide inside a 20' circle. A tree with a bunch of roots, a pile of large rocks, a bridge :D . Then make a container that you can hide right at the end of someone's nose, while their eyes are looking in all the wrong places. It works, I have proof. ;)

TG

Not all cachers are cut out to be good hiders.

Just because a cacher has hidden a lot of caches doesn't necessary make them good either.

2 Questions:

Who is the "best" hider in your area? Why?

Who has hidden the most in your area? Why (or why are they not) the best?

I actually haven't been caching long enough nor do I have the finds necessary to state that one cache hider is better then the other but...

In the North Bay area where I do the majority of my caching, there is a short list of what I would consider to be my favorites. Not so much as best cache placer as much as most creative, most thoughtful, most challenging and just most!

In the Sonoma County area, the cachers that come to mind are Trailpuppy for having some of the most challenging, the Fish brothers (Dad & Psycho) for high quality hides and BKip for the most creative and plentiful hides. Not to leave out Swagen Dave, Team Psychopuppy or Moozer who all have proven to have some fun and challenging hides. Since branching out into other areas in the state and Oregon, there are several who have instilled awe in me with their creativity! lately, I've seen some that just blow my mind! To think of how much time and effort that some cachers put into their caches really makes me want to do better than the ol' cammo'd micro routine.

So.. The best hider? The one who has placed the one I haven't found yet. Hmmm.. Too many to count :laughing:

My local favorite here in OC is cache_in_pocket

He often makes custom containers that make me say "How did he come up with that?" while scratching my head. He certainly makes it a point to have good, interesting caches.

I tend to see a lot his, because I think he only lives a couple of blocks from me, though we've never met.

In the Central Ohio area, I can think of three cache hiders who are "best" for different reasons:

dreamer'sspykids have a knack for hiding caches at great places to visit, both historically and in terms of scenery.

TeamGuisinger hide what are so far my most challenging caches, in the nearby Perry County area. They're the sorts of caches you just know are going to take some time and effort to come up with.

Lastly, sracer hides terrific caches which are often easy to get to but tough to find and/or retrieve.

There are other great hiders in my area, and I don't mean to take anything away from their hides, but these three deserve to be on any "best hider" list.

--Larry

:D Thanks Larry. It's been quite awhile since I've been on here, and am surprised the talk about me is good. Jen and I went to the last meet & eat in Logan, and a guy actually walked up, introduced himself, and said"I hate you." Apparently time spent at BRIDGE is messing with some cachers personal well being. Surely it didn't affect you too? :( Well, I placed another slightly more evil one a couple miles down the road. If you like logging DNFs, you'll love this one.

Again, many thanks for the kind words. I tend to take the hard route when hiding. I find the spot before I make the cache container.(If I don't make them from scratch, I camo the crap out of them.) Then I think about how most people hunt caches.(Which can be picked up at any event cache, or cache watching one of your own.) Then I hide the complete opposite. One great tip I'll give out for hiding this way. Find a spot that is loaded with places to hide inside a 20' circle. A tree with a bunch of roots, a pile of large rocks, a bridge :D . Then make a container that you can hide right at the end of someone's nose, while their eyes are looking in all the wrong places. It works, I have proof. :D

TG

This is a great post. A few pearls mentioned here that would help anyone's hiding:

Finding location before even thinking about the cache container you will use.

Watching others seek caches and understanding the standard search pattern.

Looking for hiding areas with several "automatic" hiding spots and either just them for decoys or skip them.

We've been travelling a lot lately; but when we are home I'm really lucky to live in an area with a ton of great hiders. The first name that comes to mind is defintely BrianSnat. Well thought out hides in beautiful parks; with nice hikes & great views. Old Navy has some incredibly clever hides and fun multi's ekitt10 has some great puzzles. Sue & Barry put a ton of effort into making some of the coolest cache containers (in great spots), Avroair has some great hides, Harry Dolphin & Andy Bear; I could go on and on...

edited to add: i don't care what they say, Jersey rocks

Edited by ThirstyMick

There are a few around here.

Flowerdoc and Pneuma do a lot of caches that are in plain view but they are hid in clever ways so that you really have to look for them.

RiverExplorer hides a lot of them that are long hikes through the woods and there is often either a strange twist (an optional second part) or a treasure map with creative hides along the way.

2golfers have used some memorable cache containers that can be tricky.

Not in our area at all, but in an area we drive through all the time. Just north of Grand Rapids, MI there are quite a few excellent hides by Photobug2. They are the best cache hiders that we have found so far. They do creative and well thought out multis that will challenge you, are always fair, and quite often will have you smiling by the time you are finished with the cache.

Examples:

PB-2 Pirate's Quest

PB-2 Riverwalk

PB-2 Deja Vu

PB-2 Rest Area

This is really a question that can't be answered and I'll explain why. You have some that are experts in puzzle caches. One's that will boggle your mind in trying to decipher. Others that are great a putting together level 4-5 terrain caches and others that are just great all around cache hiders. So, to name the best one. You can't do it. Each person has their own little niche that they excel in. So, cachers will never attempt a puzzle cache or a multi and you will miss out on a great cache. If you open yourself up to some of these unique challenges you will find that your "Best Hider" may not really be the best one after all.

The best hider in out area is Dan-oh. Dan-oh is the king of cammo. He has several evil multis which he uses his amazingly creative skills to keep you on the edge of giving up. But they are very fun and memorable!

<snip>

Totally agree with TrailGators! Dan-oh is the king of cammo around here. His caches never fail to leave us laughing and pulling our hair out all at the same time. ^_^

TucsonThompsen wins for his Puzzle caches. We've only solved two of his puzzle caches so far but we have many many more only partially solved. They may stay that way too! ^_^

Edited by TeamFROG

Our local club, GEOSET, nominates and votes on the best caches in our area each year.

Here is the list from 2006.

The best overall hider is AB4N (awesome views after long hikes, hair-tearing puzzles, and evil urban micros), but there are many more that place excellent hides. TeamBearCat, Flyswatter, Xangxa, and SuperNate are all good. I know I'm leaving some out, but I'm too tired to think of any more tonight.

:unsure: Well, since in my area there are no great hiders, I'll point out those in the state whose caches I've enjoyed. In southern Oklahoma, Mgoose reins supreme. In the OKC area, there are several caches who consistently hide challenging hides. Darkmoon, Calamity Kane, Nightcrawler., and two loose feet are just a few that come to mind. There are a lot of other folks in the OKC area that have great hides and I'm sorry I can't name them all. In western Oklahoma, I've enjoyed caches hidden by TresOkies++. I know I've only named a few of the many consistently great cachers in Oklahoma, but should you come this way, you won't be disappointed.

I would have to say Goldsnoop - he is well known in this area for his diabolical caches. Some, he has admitted, are copies of ones he's seen elsewhere, but for us in this area, that doesn't make them any less tough. I tend to increase the difficulty by 1-2 when I see it is placed by him.

Well, for the Twin Cities area, I'd say there are actually two "best" hiders (not to take anything away from others that have great caches, but two come to my mind right away). Nearest to my home coordinates, I've got Paklid who does a great job with puzzles and camo, and has lots of nice caches. Still in the cities but north of my area is Posen, who has taken over an entire suburb that local cachers have renamed "Posenville". His caches always have great camo and he's got major variations...they're either really easy and make you laugh out loud, or they're major difficult because of the intricate camo. So I'd say I'm lucky in having two great hiders in this area...again not saying there are tons of "bad" hiders either...just these two stand out.

Hidden most...now THAT one is easy: I live in King Boreas territory. Although some of his may not be the greatest hides, others are (my favorite cache ever is still one of his, "Lair of the Three Headed Woman") amazing. And he's got so many areas of the state he's hidden things, it has brought me to great areas to visit.

I like this question...trying to bring out the positives of areas, thanks for asking. And yes, I don't rate any of my caches that high, I just know I don't spend enough time on them to be great caches like these I've described, but I at least try to make them fun.

Celticwulf

Don't forget Knowschad, Candy Apple Green & bflentje. :blink::laughing::blink:

We've been travelling a lot lately; but when we are home I'm really lucky to live in an area with a ton of great hiders. The first name that comes to mind is defintely BrianSnat. Well thought out hides in beautiful parks; with nice hikes & great views. Old Navy has some incredibly clever hides and fun multi's ekitt10 has some great puzzles. Sue & Barry put a ton of effort into making some of the coolest cache containers (in great spots), Avroair has some great hides, Harry Dolphin & Andy Bear; I could go on and on...

edited to add: i don't care what they say, Jersey rocks

I have to agree that BrianSnat has some great hides. They generally revolve around a good hike with a view. I have also enjoyed Citicar1976's hides. A lot of them revolve around some type of area history. Of course I'm partial to both of their hides because there's so many of them in the state park that is adjacent to my property.

Well, for the Twin Cities area, I'd say there are actually two "best" hiders (not to take anything away from others that have great caches, but two come to my mind right away). Nearest to my home coordinates, I've got Paklid who does a great job with puzzles and camo, and has lots of nice caches. Still in the cities but north of my area is Posen, who has taken over an entire suburb that local cachers have renamed "Posenville". His caches always have great camo and he's got major variations...they're either really easy and make you laugh out loud, or they're major difficult because of the intricate camo. So I'd say I'm lucky in having two great hiders in this area...again not saying there are tons of "bad" hiders either...just these two stand out.

Hidden most...now THAT one is easy: I live in King Boreas territory. Although some of his may not be the greatest hides, others are (my favorite cache ever is still one of his, "Lair of the Three Headed Woman") amazing. And he's got so many areas of the state he's hidden things, it has brought me to great areas to visit.

I like this question...trying to bring out the positives of areas, thanks for asking. And yes, I don't rate any of my caches that high, I just know I don't spend enough time on them to be great caches like these I've described, but I at least try to make them fun.

Celticwulf

Don't forget Knowschad, Candy Apple Green & bflentje. :laughing::wub::)

Don't forget Mutsley & Crew, bflentje, or Candy Apple Green. :D :D :D

Best hiders?

The gang that hid a cache on a picnic table for me to find. Of course, you coudl say I cheated since they called me up to hand it to me, but I didn't care... my 'FTF prize' was a brand new ETrex Legend to replace my old Geko 101!

From what I understand, the gang was Twinstars, LadyBug of Plattsmouth, Omaha, LadyGrey, Roger Dodger, Dregos & friends, roper11, Keep Lookin', Mack Attack, and SnickerJim.

I was speechless. ;)

I think in the Twin Cities, we were very lucky to have people such as Paklid pave the way to fun and creativity in the hides...he really set a much higher standard than just using Tupperware or Ammo cans in a pile of brush. His leadership in cache creativity has inspired quite a few people who put the extra time and effort into their hides...raising the overall expectation of the hunters, and keeping a heightened sense of intrigue in the caching community.

Thanks, Paklid, for your leadership in creativity!

I think in the Twin Cities, we were very lucky to have people such as Paklid pave the way to fun and creativity in the hides...he really set a much higher standard than just using Tupperware or Ammo cans in a pile of brush. His leadership in cache creativity has inspired quite a few people who put the extra time and effort into their hides...raising the overall expectation of the hunters, and keeping a heightened sense of intrigue in the caching community.

Thanks, Paklid, for your leadership in creativity!

I will most definately second that motion, Posen!

Some of my very early finds were Paklid caches (

Do the Dew and Pull My Finger!) and they showed me how much fun caches can be and very much influenced the caches that I later hid.

(Correction: Do the Dew is actually a Sui Generis hide, but he was another pioneer of theatrical caches in our area)

Edited by knowschad

IN the city of Pittsfield Mass. 01201. I have the most hides.

Once I have some more out there that I am thinking of, Ill let you know who has the best urban caches in my area.

Aquaman134: has the most deep wood micros I know of and most of them are around rocks.

physx: has the best large container camo I have run across

"Curly's Cache" GC10C26

Rocking the Goat: has the most finds, by now I don't think there is much

they haven't seen

I'm sure no one in West Michigan will disagree with me....Two Happy Hikers are the best. I have not done a single one I did not enjoy. Nature is out there, and that is what they use. In the city or out in the sticks, they can always find something VERY interesting to use to hide a new set of coords. Thank you both for your wonderful work.

Ahem!!!! I don't disagree with that- I always make a good effort to travel out of my way to find their cache- never left the cache site disappointed.

I am new at Geocaching. However, I think the best "hiders" in the Louisville, KY area are Show Me The Cache (SMTC) and Air Raid Fan (ARF). Their caches are fun because they are all unique, they use interesting methods of hiding the cache, give a nice background for the hide, and some of their caches are hard. They are very rewarding to find and they are fun because of either the method of retrieval or the type of container. Also, both SMTC and ARF have been helpful to me, as a new cacher. ARF even called me one evening to give me some clues to find his hides. Caching in Lou, KY is great! :laughing:

There are so many good ones in our area. but 4 come to mind Phoenixcacher, Bosco7, Lacomo, SterlingConnie.

Phoenixcachers has the most in out area and some of the trickiest ones. but Bosco7 sure is catching up with him on coolest and hardest to find.

OzarksJim has some good ones as well.

we"re lost