The Best Hider

StarBrand

Not all cachers are cut out to be good hiders.

Just because a cacher has hidden a lot of caches doesn't necessary make them good either.

2 Questions:

Who is the "best" hider in your area? Why?

Who has hidden the most in your area? Why (or why are they not) the best?

The best hider in out area is Dan-oh. Dan-oh is the king of cammo. He has several evil multis which he uses his amazingly creative skills to keep you on the edge of giving up. But they are very fun and memorable!

I have no idea who has the most hides but I'm sure it's an urban micro lover. But I won't go there....

There are some excellent hiders in my area. Some are good at creating clever camouflage in plain sight. Some are good at finding little known but great locations. Others know how to create an adventure. Some create brillant puzzles. A few of them know how to combine these elements. :rolleyes:

I won't mention them here. I've let them know how much I enjoyed their caches in both the online logs and the physical log books.

As I get older, I feel more uncomfortable trying to answer any question with the word "best." :)

I was about to add to this with a couple of names, then more names came to mind, and then a few more. I'm lucky to live in an area with several great hiders that I learn from. Some days I love them , some days I curse them. Depends on whether I'm hunting or finding I guess. TFTH guys and gals, hidingpool.

In my area, Kentuckygirls are the best hiders. They hide caches in great locations, and are good at making the hunt interesting by making puzzles, and just finding clever spots.

I live in the middle of nowhere, so in my immediate area my own hides are most prevalent. You'll have to ask someone else how I do at hiding caches.

JoGPS, hands down. His caches are pure hand-crafted evil. One cache comes to mind is one that I had my hands on, looked directly at, took a long time to retrieve, and is still secure despite thousands of people walking by and possibly touching it every week. He's hidden caches all over a multi-state area that are the model of being hidden in plain sight.

Edited by budophylus

I also hesitate to use the superlative, "best" when thinking of the cachers/hiders here in Southern Maryland. There are many, many folks down here who do a great job of putting out some top-notch caches. That being said, there is one guy who would naturally come to anyone's mind: Goldenhawk

He has placed so many caches around here! And it's not just the quantity by any means. They run the gamut from simple P&G's to the most mind-wrenching puzzle caches ever concocted. His caches always seem to have an eye on local history and are well stocked with theme-appropriate swag. And his attention to detail when it comes to cache container design and fabrication rivals that of any Hollywood special effects expert - on more than one occasion I have actually held one of his cache containers in my hand and put it down because I thought "there's no way this is it!" And I know Goldenhawk gets as much satisfaction out of placing caches as most folks get out of finding them. Bravo Zulu Goldenhawk!

Not all cachers are cut out to be good hiders.

Just because a cacher has hidden a lot of caches doesn't necessary make them good either.

2 Questions:

In the Edinburgh area I'd choose Haggis Hunter, whose caches are always highly enjoyable and Firth of Forth/Jack Aubrey who are also great :)

I don't want to come off as being arrogant, but I think I meet several of the standards in my area.

I have the most hides in the Antelope Valley.

I have more "advanced camo job" caches than anyone else in my area also.

As for having the best caches in my area, that is up to the finders to decide.

Edited by Kit Fox

Probably not me. Although I get good feedback on one or two of mine; I think I might get lynched for one or two of my others. Come to think of it Id say Ive got a .660 avg THATS BIG LEAGUES! shameless selfpromotions...

Id say, its hard to say who has a knack for hiding things well around here. Guile is not a great part of the game in these parts. Its more like hike for some time and root around like a pig for truffles. Or, go find some oddity in the town, and wade through a hellscape of PI. I dont mean to sound bitter, but Ive not found too much creativity yet. Some puzzles are well thought out. Most hides are straight forward find the X.

There is one cacher who consistantly challenges me. TeamKwikSilver. OMG, the torment... I love it. Nasty little nano caches... Horrific, inhospitable hiding places... MORE DNFs with this one hider than all others combined. id have it no other way!

So there you have it: TeamKwikSilver.

Now if only they would respond to email questions for hints...

I was about to add to this with a couple of names, then more names came to mind, and then a few more. I'm lucky to live in an area with several great hiders that I learn from.

I'm lucky like that too. There is a very active group of hiders (and finders) in my area, and no shortage of quality caches. Something that I've been noticing lately is that some of the most prolific individual hiders in the area cover the entire range from excellent traditional cache, to evil hide, to puzzle, to lamppost micro. If I feel like a quick park-n-grab on the way to work, I've got plenty to choose from. If I feel like pondering a puzzle from the comfort of my desk on a rainy evening, there are a number of good ones available. And if I feel like hiking six miles through local forest preserves on a Saturday, I can be assured of plentiful caches there as well.

JoGPS, hands down. His caches are pure hand-crafted evil. One cache comes to mind is one that I had my hands on, looked directly at, took a long time to retrieve, and is still secure despite thousands of people walking by and possibly touching it every week. He's hidden caches all over a multi-state area that are the model of being hidden in plain sight.

I've done Joe's caches on trips out of my home area, and I agree his caches are awesome!

I had to climb 20ft up a tree for one, wade chest high weeds for anther, and go through some of the thickest brush I've seen for one a couple miles from parking. :)

OhJoy is our most prolific hider around here with 194 showing on her profile currently. And in respect to "best hides", everyone does their part around here, but hers more often than not will take you somewhere very interesting / incredible view.

Ohjoy is a great model how caches should be hidden.... conservation, information, puzzles, fun, and beautiful sights. And toss in the fact shes a downright nice person. :)

We've got a hider out here in Hawaii named Dadwrap. He's just one of those unique individuals that has a talent for hiding. Although I was not caching 3 years ago here, it's my understanding that he basically pioneered caching in Hawaii with some incredibly unique caches.

I'd like to propose a toast to all the hiders out there. Those who choose to give freely of their time, energy, resources and talent so that others will enjoy themselves. The salt of the Geocaching Earth.

Edited by Team GeoBlast

I think Bozo is the best hider in my area. He usually likes to do clever puzzle hides that make you do alot of work before you even get out there to find his caches, which always lead me to places I've never seen before. I also think he has the most hides, he comes out with new caches constantly.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Pyro37976

We have some very good ones in northern NJ, but the best is Treequest. When you see his name on a cache you know it's going to take you someplace great. I don't know how he keeps coming up with these unique, unusual or interesting places for caches. He also makes his own containers. And most important, he takes good care of his caches.

I agree ....Just did 4 more of his yesterday.

Well, I guess "the best' is really a relative concept because the best cacher can often mean different things to different cachers. People in a hurry and that do not want to do much work might like easy finds while others are only concerned with how things are hidden (does the hider leave hints, are the caches are in the right type of container, does the area need CITO, are the coords within 2 ft accuracy, etc...).

For me, Palser is the best hider in the area. He does a great job of using camo, has very creative hides, great multis, cache descriptions that are just awesome, evil micro hides, thinking puzzles, and he is not afraid to use "non-traditional containers" to throw people off.

If any of you reading this are trying the "We Have 100+" event cache challenge this weekend, make sure you leave his hides for last because you'll only have about 3 finds once the weekends over. Okay, that's a little hype, but those hides are tough.

We've got a LOT of good hiders here around Birmingham, but two come immediately to mind lately. One is Frodo13 -- his puzzle caches are blowing minds around the world. Look his caches up if you want some head-scratching afternoons. The other is 3Card, devious and ingenious hides. Some hidden in plain sight, others with a "twist" that you won't soon forget!

On the first one I would say JEEPSTAFF, why because he has hidden some great caches in the woods and has hindden caches on other great places. :laughing:

On the second one I would say Show Me The Cache.

We have a lot of good hiders in this area but if I had to pick one it would be 3jaze.

I'll second that.

I also like caches by calkan and Relish in northern Montana, very clever camouflage and good hiding techniques, those caches have resulted in a few trips down Shelby way for our family. Closer to home there is Saskatchewan geocacher eklector who has some very crafty caches in and around Maple Creek.

In the Central Ohio area, I can think of three cache hiders who are "best" for different reasons:

dreamer'sspykids have a knack for hiding caches at great places to visit, both historically and in terms of scenery.

TeamGuisinger hide what are so far my most challenging caches, in the nearby Perry County area. They're the sorts of caches you just know are going to take some time and effort to come up with.

Lastly, sracer hides terrific caches which are often easy to get to but tough to find and/or retrieve.

There are other great hiders in my area, and I don't mean to take anything away from their hides, but these three deserve to be on any "best hider" list.

--Larry

Really a very subjective ??? "Who's the best hider?"

1) some my own caches I thought would be very good (i.e. 'tough' finds) were overun w/cachers to be FTF/

2) some my own caches I have made purposely simple/pleasant finds just for the drive/exposure. This would make a determination by some as lame.

3) some my own caches are multi's with just a few wanting to participate. (you find most caches/finds are by those who either don't have extended times or patience to go thru a process. And that's OK.

4) some of the puzzle caches are not even attempted by the majority, but who is to say they are not good hides/

5) some live for/by micros. Some just believe they cause angst.

6) Even geocaching.com is well aware of peoples preferances in their form for pocket queries, size, difficulty, terrain, etc.

And the list WILL go on.

So to try and answer who is the best hider, there would have to be a common agreement on what constitutes the best hide. And with the thousands of cachers out there, there are that many opinions on both sides of what is a good/bad cache.

So while not a pointless ??? But in reality there is no real answer!

Dr. P

PS.. if your an adrenalin junkie and don't mind climbing a tree or two, try tenacityj in our area.

In the Dallas area, JakeInTexas has some excellent hides. Creative, outside-the-box type stuff.

Other hiders of note are Akulakat, Langly, Roland_oso, and several others.

Most prolific would be myself, SandbassKing, and thpadre. Most of my hides were placed a while back when the density wasn't as high as it is now. I don't hide many these days. :D

I am in the Seattle area and like Dayspring... He has a "Totally Tubular" series that not only challenges you to find but also to get the darn things open! I am a mechanical designer and really appreciate his containers (if you can call them that)... He has 16 caches.. but they are great!!! The best cache I have done is "Something NICE on Queen Anne" .. IT IS an AWESOME multi....! Also "Cache of the Month"! Just my $.02 worth.....

Cap'nChris is the best hider around this area - he finds unique spots from deep in the woods to the bottom of the lake to an urban pocket vest park. He knows the area well and is unpredictable - you can never tell what you're going to get from the Cap'n. He is also the best because he provides plenty of pictures, not just for his own hides, but for his finds as well. The hide pages and logs are well thought out, detailed and humorous. I can't tell you how many places I'd have never gone if it weren't for him.

In our humble opinion... a good cache is based on location, location, location. We like to be taken someplace out of the way that you may not notice if you were a visitor just passing through town. Those little hidden jewels just waiting to be found and enjoyed. Whether it be a view, a nice park or a little piece of history. Sometimes a good cache that is fun to do that is not necessarily placed in an attractive area is okay, IF the cache is fun. This is what we try to keep in mind when we hide our caches, not about inflating our hidden numbers.

The beauty of a cache is in the eye of the finder.

There is a fine line between stupid and creative

In North MS I would vote for EyeofWooglin for the best cache placement for history and the location. Well thought out and a beauty to do.

My next vote would be for Deltadawg for making me love/hate his caches. His caches will make you have every emotion. You could be crying one minute, from frustration, to elated with joy that you finally found the thing and you can mark it off the list. But all the while going to the cache, or at the location, you are diffenetly aware that you are in a remarkable place.

The two of these cachers are only a few that got me started and kept me interested in geocaching in the early days.

By the way - to reply to my own topic -

I have to award best overall in the immediate area to MudBlood Squad for creativity and dragging me to some very very interesting spots.

For best put together caches and variety - Jaysrig.

For Challenge and that bit of hair-raising danger - some of TenacityJ's

My favorite's are always the ones that take me somewhere new and show me something I didn't know about. Anybody that has accomplished that with even 1 cache is best in my book.

By the way - to reply to my own topic -

I have to award best overall in the immediate area to MudBlood Squad for creativity and dragging me to some very very interesting spots.

For best put together caches and variety - Jaysrig.

For Challenge and that bit of hair-raising danger - some of TenacityJ's

My favorite's are always the ones that take me somewhere new and show me something I didn't know about. Anybody that has accomplished that with even 1 cache is best in my book.

Now that you mention it, we have several good hiders in the area. Mudblood Squad do have some awesome hides. In fact, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark and Mount Doom are two of my favorites. I also love King of Rohan's Cache by Wielders of Anduril. Plus Jaysrig, Starbrand, and Homicide 133 all have several good hides.

My personal favorites (being a PE teacher and wrestling coach) are the physically demanding caches. I don't get to find many in my area so I try putting out some of my own. I only hope that I am creative and not stupid - still learning and still trying :drama:

Edited by tenacityj

Well, for the Twin Cities area, I'd say there are actually two "best" hiders (not to take anything away from others that have great caches, but two come to my mind right away). Nearest to my home coordinates, I've got Paklid who does a great job with puzzles and camo, and has lots of nice caches. Still in the cities but north of my area is Posen, who has taken over an entire suburb that local cachers have renamed "Posenville". His caches always have great camo and he's got major variations...they're either really easy and make you laugh out loud, or they're major difficult because of the intricate camo. So I'd say I'm lucky in having two great hiders in this area...again not saying there are tons of "bad" hiders either...just these two stand out.

Hidden most...now THAT one is easy: I live in King Boreas territory. Although some of his may not be the greatest hides, others are (my favorite cache ever is still one of his, "Lair of the Three Headed Woman") amazing. And he's got so many areas of the state he's hidden things, it has brought me to great areas to visit.

I like this question...trying to bring out the positives of areas, thanks for asking. And yes, I don't rate any of my caches that high, I just know I don't spend enough time on them to be great caches like these I've described, but I at least try to make them fun.

Celticwulf

In the Dallas area, JakeInTexas has some excellent hides. Creative, outside-the-box type stuff.

Other hiders of note are Akulakat, Langly, Roland_oso, and several others.

Don't forget to add yourself to the list, along with mctwin. I've spent many, many afternoons saying soft, evil curses under my breath while trying to scare up caches from either one of you. I actually had built up a picture in my head of mctwin, complete with devil horns and pitchfork. When I finally got to meet him on a FTF race, I was amazed that he looked normal....

Wow! Tough question... Joefrog comes immediately to mind, HoundDogsTCB, so many others in this area who have a lot of hides, each one of them excellent.

No way to select 'best'; we have such a great variety of cachers and caches!

Joefrog used to be one of the better hiders up here as well when he lived up this way (OK technically south of here since Queens and western Long Island was his domain, not the areas just north of NY City).

A little bit north of here, in the lower-mid Hudson Valley, my vote would be for Jonboy/Darielle. They have a great mix of relatively easy terrain hides and some real challenges I have yet to do. Most of his hides are tied in to real awesome views. Geobernd has also done a lot to add to the number of hides in that region as well.

In our immediate area, a little harder to say, though I believe for awhile Spoosh was the most prolific hider here in southern Westchester County, though he's seemed to have slowed down a bit.

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa