In car navigation system with GPS coordinates

jbsings2266

Every cache is a multi-cache for me because I have so much trouble getting to the trailhead or search area. I looked at the Tom Tom 910 and that looks like it might do the trick, but the store personnel get a blank look when you ask them about longitude and latitude use. What system would be best for caching?

Personally, I prefer maps on my laptop for in vehicle navigation. Much larger screen than any GPS I've seen on the market make it much easier to tell at a glance where you're going. Plus, assuming you already have a laptop, mapping software like Delorme Street Atlas (with a USB GPS) is MUCH cheaper than buying a new handheld GPS and (if needed) maps.

Personally, I prefer maps on my laptop for in vehicle navigation. Much larger screen than any GPS I've seen on the market make it much easier to tell at a glance where you're going. Plus, assuming you already have a laptop, mapping software like Delorme Street Atlas (with a USB GPS) is MUCH cheaper than buying a new handheld GPS and (if needed) maps.

Would you have to have wi-fi? And isn't it kind of dangerous looking over at your lap top to read the maps while you are driving?

Would you have to have wi-fi? And isn't it kind of dangerous looking over at your lap top to read the maps while you are driving?

Probably not any more dangerous than looking at a small screen GPS, but it can be dangerous for certain.

I use Microsoft Streets & Trips myself. Works great to get you close to a cache, (or anywhere else for that matter). No internet connection needed.

I like our Garmin StreetPilot 2620. We just load the same .gpx file on it as we do on the 60cx and "she" talks us through, turn by turn, to the cache site. I tried the laptop with S&T but it is too dangerous when you are by yourself. I just keep the 60cx set on "off road" and it is ready when we get within a couple hundred feet.

I use Mapopolis on my Pocket PC to navigate to the streets nearest the caches. It allows you to overlay all the caches onto the street maps so you can easily navigate from cache to cache. That might be one way to go if you have a PPC.

However, since you have an expensive navigation system in the Tom Tom, can you see the streets nearest the cache on your GPS? Is your GPS have a mapping type? If it is you can then transfer the street info to the Tom Tom.

The reason car nav sized screens, say <3" are better than laptops is that they can be placed for safe viewing much easier than a laptop. They all have voice navigation as well. Screens 3" and larger are big enough for good use.

Thanks for all the good input. I'm going to use the TomTom when caching alone, which is over half the time, and use the laptop when with my wife and the Delorme streets and maps interface. FROTU33 and I night cached on black Friday with an Explorist 100 and found 3 of 3 before we had to get back in line. I guess it depends on how easy or how badly you want it!! Thanks again!!!

The Garmin Nuvi-350 model allows inputing a destination by using the Latitude and Longitude.

The old IQue series had this feature. I don't know if it has carried forward into the newer IQue series.

The Garmin website allows you to read the instruction manual for every model, and is the best source for this kind of info. (Don't depend upon sales people in the local Circuit City or Wal-Mart.

Being able to load coordinates is critical for my occupation (REALTOR), as well as my hobby. I keep an eye on the market so I know whether there is, at any given time, a replacement for my IQue 3600.

-Paul-