Who Has Geocaching Car Sticker

Okay so a friend gave me a gift the other day. Amoung those things was what I thought he said was a car decal. So I was like cool, thats neat. Didn't exam it much untill later. When I got home I decided that it wasn't a decal but an iron on tranfer (for a t-shirt) . But when I go to the geocaching store I don't see tranfers but I do see this:

http://shop.Groundspeak.com/productDetail....p;ProductID=106

That looks exactly like what I have!

BTW if you're wondering why I don't just call my friend this was a groomsmen's gift, he got married on Saturday so he's ummm... busy.

So since my friend is indisposed at the moment I'll see what help I can get here. The sticker is white. It has a blue background on one side and a white background on the other. The white reminds me of iron on material.

When I peel off the blue background I have a backwards sticker. Now what am I supposed to do? Iron it on my car? :) So this may be a really dumb question but I'm lost here. Thanks!

Flip it over and stick it on your window?

Then? It still has the backing on it. Do I just pull it (the backing) off? Do I have to rub it with a coin? Use a hot air gun? A blow torch? I don't want to 'tear it apart' ...

Some threads just make you smile. I found one of these in a cache once and tore it apart trying to figure out how to make it work. :)

El Diablo

Did you figure out what you should have done? Maybe this is easier than I am making it.

Edited by rogueleader1977

Flip it over and stick it on your window?

Then? It still has the backing on it. Do I just pull it (the backing) off? Do I have to rub it with a coin? Use a hot air gun? A blow torch? I don't want to 'tear it apart' ...

Some threads just make you smile. I found one of these in a cache once and tore it apart trying to figure out how to make it work. :)

El Diablo

Did you figure out what you should have done? Maybe this is easier than I am making it.

The white part stayed on. It was a static sticker that went on the window.

El Diablo

The white part stayed on. It was a static sticker that went on the window.

El Diablo

No, thats definately not what I have. The sticker is white, the background is white, if I put it on my window like this it would just be a big white square. When you look in the store you see they have statics and the have decals. I definately do not have a static.

I think the backwards sticker goes on the outside of the window and the Iron on gets peeled off revealing a normal decal.

But do I have to do anything other than just peel it off? I don't want to mess it up!

Press and peel. If that does not work, I will always say it should have. :)

I think the backwards sticker goes on the outside of the window and the Iron on gets peeled off revealing a normal decal.

But do I have to do anything other than just peel it off? I don't want to mess it up!

Press and peel. If that does not work, I will always say it should have. :)

I bought the same sticker for my vehicle. Pull the one side off and place it against the window. Now rub the other side which will transfer the decal to your window.

I do vehicle fleet graphics as part of how I make my house payment and geocoin subscriptions... This reads like a transcript of some of my phone calls w/customers who've opted for the 'self-apply' installation method. :)

Does the object have an obvious sticky adhesive layer (which when exposed does not need water or heat to activate it) on one side when the backing is peeled away? If so, that's the side to apply to whatever surface you choose (which needs to be above 45 degrees F, smooth, free from dirt & grease/oil or silicone - which is why sticker adhesives don't work well on plastics). Put it on clear glass (inside) if the adhesive's on the front of the graphic; put it on the outside of the glass if the adhesive's on the back of the graphic. If there's not an obviously sticky adhesive layer you've got an iron-on transfer which needs heat to 'transfer' and set the graphic onto fabric.

We make good money designing/fabricating/installing graphics onto vehicles... thank goodness not everyone wants to be 'do it yourself' sticker applicators. Of course, there is a serious difference between a 'full wrap' and a bumper sticker... :rolleyes:

It's an iron-on heat-transfer window cling.

It's fairly easy to work with if you have the right equipment.

If you have a friend who is a plumber you might can borrow the first item you need - a propane torch. If not, your local WalMart or hardware store carries them.

Ask your grandmother if you can borrow her steam iron, no, your mother won't have one.

Determine where on your car's back glass you want the cling and draw an appropriately-sized rectangle with a Sharpie (I like Sharpie's, but you can use a crayon).

Use the torch to heat the glass within the rectangle to a nice even orange glow.

Quickly strip the backing off of the cling and place it in the rectangle.

Now use the steam iron to smooth out all wrinkles and bubbles.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it turns out... a picture would be nice. :laughing:

Ed

If you have the decal that you showed in your link, I have one on my CUV. You have to peel one side right off (I belive it's the thicker paper). I would peel a little corner off and see if te sticker is sticky, that's the side that goes on the window. Once you have it on the window, press it down good with your hand, if you do it carefully there won't be any bubbles. From there you slowly and carefully peel the other part off and it's stuck to your window.

If that's not what you havem perhaps you have a cling, plastic square with the logo printed on it. That just sticks to the inside of your window.

Joe

If it was an iron-on tee shirt decal....IT WOULD BE REVERSED!!!

It IS reversed thats what made me think it was a transfer. Thanks guys, I've got it now. I KNEW it wasn't a static, again, it is ALL WHITE, that would make one lame static.

Now, I also got some of those geocaching temporary tattoos, does anyone know where I get the needles to apply THEM with?? :):mad: