Free Hiking staff

El Diablo

I want to nominate Flagman. I can't think of any geocacher that has given more to geocaching in our area than Flagman. Flagman has not only hidden many creative caches but has given in so many other ways. He created a new series of 30 geocacher trading cards in honor of a local cacher named Yrium who passed away at the young age of 44. It was Yrium's idea to create geocacher cards much like baseball cards. Yrium created 20 Yrium's Pals cards and then had just launched a new series called UDesignIt cards. He created a travel bug called the UDesignIt Card that gave the finder of the card the priviledge of picking the next geocacher to be the subject of the next card. However, only three UDesignIt cards were made before Yrium passed away. After Yrium death, Tom picked up the torch and continued Yrium's vision by creating a new series of cards called the Yrium Memorial Series Trading Cards. The San Diego geocaching community had so much fun finding and collecting these cards. Flagman spent countless hours designing, printing and hiding the cards all on his own dime. It really brought our community of geocachers together and made us the close knit group we are today! So I would like to see Flagman get a little something back from the geocaching community for all his efforts and dedication! :)

I would also like to nominate Flagman. He has been outstanding in his contributions to geocaching, especially in the San Diego area. He has also shown kindness to others and it is always great to talk with him.

Paul

aka Team Adelos

:):lol: We second that nomination for FLAGMAN. We can't say enough good things about him and what he contributes to our local community. Plus..it's so much fun trying to stump him with puzzle caches. R/ Jodi and john aka (Jahoadi and John)

I think Pat, Paul, and J&J stated it just perfect! Flagman is an icon here in San Diego. He makes every effort to attend SD events, even if it's in the desert 2 hours away. He brings with him smiles, hugs, and those highly sought after puzzle hints! I think every cacher in SD has his cell phone for a lifeline. I can't pass by an American Flag without smiling and thinking of Tom.

Robyn of Team Reid :mad:

Edited by Team Reid

I want to nominate Geek-Qualizer too. He keeps the Houston area entertained and in touch with each other with the forums of hgcs.org. He's also great at promoting geocaching. He takes out new geocachers to introduce them to the sport. He's great at helping out with computer and other technology questions. He treats all geocachers and geodogs with lots of compassion. We are lucky to have GQ as our friend.

I want to nominate Geek-Qualizer too. He keeps the Houston area entertained and in touch with each other with the forums of hgcs.org. He's also great at promoting geocaching. He takes out new geocachers to introduce them to the sport. He's great at helping out with computer and other technology questions. He treats all geocachers and geodogs with lots of compassion. We are lucky to have GQ as our friend.

Geek-Qualizer is something special for sure...trust me I know!

My nomination goes to GQ, he is soft spoken and an all round good cacher person.

Pepper

Edited by Pepper

Wow! With all the votes for GQ, I'm guessing you will have to cut the second staff in to little bits to give to each person who put his name into the hat.

Better yet give GQ both and then he could raffle off the one at an event, like the upcoming Texas Challange. :) (and no that is not a spelling mistake) :)

El D said nothing at all about this being a popularity contest in his OP. That leaves me to think that one deserving post could win the contest even if it's NOT GQ. 4 other people have a chance assuming GQ is one of the top 5.

Or El D could just draw from all the folks that nominated GQ... ummm....IF he wins. Of course, that's IF El D wants to do it that way.

If you want to go on individual merit, my favorite post among all the posts for GQ so far is Fivesecrethunter's post. Marty nailed it with brevity. Might I note, he also lost his GC.com forum cherry making that post too. :mad:

It dosen't matter how many times a person is nominated. It will be the single post for that person that will be selected. So if 100 people nominate GQ...the person that best described his worthiness will be selected. From what I've read, he is certainly worthy of winning. :lol: I'm impressed that he gave up a hiking staff for someone else after he paid so much for it. That is the heart of a gentleman in all sense of the word.

There is no doubt that he will be in the final 5. Where it goes from there is up to you.

El Diablo

I want to nominate Flagman. I can't think of any geocacher that has given more to geocaching in our area than Flagman. Flagman has not only hidden many creative caches but has given in so many other ways. He created a new series of 30 geocacher trading cards in honor of a local cacher named Yrium who passed away at the young age of 44. It was Yrium's idea to create geocacher cards much like baseball cards. Yrium created 20 Yrium's Pals cards and then had just launched a new series called UDesignIt cards. He created a travel bug called the UDesignIt Card that gave the finder of the card the priviledge of picking the next geocacher to be the subject of the next card. However, only three UDesignIt cards were made before Yrium passed away. After Yrium death, Tom picked up the torch and continued Yrium's vision by creating a new series of cards called the Yrium Memorial Series Trading Cards. The San Diego geocaching community had so much fun finding and collecting these cards. Flagman spent countless hours designing, printing and hiding the cards all on his own dime. It really brought our community of geocachers together and made us the close knit group we are today! So I would like to see Flagman get a little something back from the geocaching community for all his efforts and dedication! :)

P.S. If this nomination happens to win, I would like to see the second hiking staff to the geocacher that gets the second most votes! :)

We totally agree on the nomination of Flagman. He is a class act who generously gives his time and talents to our sport. He would be a great choice!

The Splashes :mad::lol:

I have to go with a couple of the others. I met sun-moon-starz. Her stats are amazing, however... I met here at a recent event and although I did not have much time to talk to her I couldn't help feeling that everyone who knows her sees her as a friend. I hope to have time to sit and talk with her at some point, she seems like a wonderful person... There is more to geocaching then hiding and finding caches...

I nominate Flagman, a fellow San Diego area cacher. He is selfless in that he usually leaves swag ("flagswag" as he calles it) regardless if he picks any up - he rarely does. And that goes for many micros as well. He is a master puzzle solver and will not hesitate to help out those that request it. He maintained the hugely popular UDesignit Card that identifies local cachers in a baseball card format. He incurred great time and expense to support that card. (Due to popular demand, he is reactivating that series :laughing: .)

In support of GC, he has released 271 travel bugs and maintains 63 caches, some of which have made the local favorites' list. His friendly disposition lends to his MVP-type status as a cacher in our community.

I would like to nominate SIXDOGTEAM

the man has done much for the geocaching community in INDIANA , he brought us this fantastic series of caches known as INDIANA SPIRIT QUEST He brought cachers from all over the state together to place these quality caches with loads of history . It has even spread into the Michigan Spirit Quest series and The Ontario Canada Spirit Quest series , all of which owe there exsistance to this man.

Sixdogteam has a fantastic sense of humor and is lots of fun to be around and cache with . He gave us The Leage of Extrodiornary GEO EARTHDOGS as well . Sometimes it is his little white dog that gets all the attention, but he was kind enough to share the fun with the famous PATRICK with us , and yes Patrick does have his own account and this little white doggy does geocache , I have been caching with him myself. Patrick has even place some caches of his own , The best of these being Patrick's Waterfall series.

Simply put SixDogTeam is one of INDIANA's very BEST !

Star

As with Star I would like to put SixDogTeam (Lead Dog) in for the free hiking staff. He has taken Indiana geocaching to new levels. He is the organizer of a great and large series the Indiana Spirit Quest. He keeps an updated found number for all of the caches placed in this series and all caches has to be approved by him. This series has placed forgotten cemeteries and war heroes on the map. This series has spread to Canada and several other states. There has also been countless hours the members of this series has help place head stones and flags back up. There are also other series of school houses, bridges, and his K9s that he has. He has taken us to areas that most would not visit. He is a true cacher, hider, K9 lover and VETERAN. GOOD LUCK SIXDOGTEAM (Lead dog) :laughing::huh:

Edited by Team GCHound

the man has done much for the geocaching community in INDIANA , he brought us this fantastic series of caches known as INDIANA SPIRIT QUEST He brought cachers from all over the state together to place these quality caches with loads of history . It has even spread into the Michigan Spirit Quest series and The Ontario Canada Spirit Quest series , all of which owe there exsistance to this man.

Sixdogteam has a fantastic sense of humor and is lots of fun to be around and cache with . He gave us The Leage of Extrodiornary GEO EARTHDOGS as well . Sometimes it is his little white dog that gets all the attention, but he was kind enough to share the fun with the famous PATRICK with us , and yes Patrick does have his own account and this little white doggy does geocache , I have been caching with him myself. Patrick has even place some caches of his own , The best of these being Patrick's Waterfall series.

Star

As with Star I would like to put SixDogTeam (Lead Dog) in for the free hiking staff. He has taken Indiana geocaching to new levels. He is the organizer of a great and large series the Indiana Spirit Quest. He keeps an updated found number for all of the caches placed in this series and all caches has to be approved by him. This series has placed forgotten cemeteries and war heroes on the map. This series has spread to Canada and several other states. There has also been countless hours the members of this series has help place head stones and flags back up. There are also other series of school houses, bridges, and his K9s that he has. He has taken us to areas that most would not visit. He is a true cacher, hider, K9 lover, and VETERAN. GOOD LUCK SIXDOGTEAM (Lead dog) :laughing::huh:

I'd nominate retiredprof

He doesn't follow the forums and isn't someone known to a zillion cachers but he is well known to the N.U.T.S. (Northstate Unusual Treasure Seekers) in Northern California. He's a quiet guy with a great attitude. What has he done that is "special"? Well............ It isn't the fact that he has placed 431 caches. It's the fact that every one of them is maintained. Lots of folks toss out caches here and there and then leave them to fend for themselves. retiredprof actively maintains each and every one of his caches. He's someone I feel is a great representative of caching and deserving of recognition.

I nominate Geek-Qualizer. (GQ)

He would never dream of tooting his own horn, but GQ has really been the driving force keeping the Houston Area geocachers together since our own "Mom & Pop" (usmorrows) of our little geocaching famdamily have been less active due to real life challenges.

He built and runs HGCS.org.

He hosts and cohosts events. Including a near Mega-Event, the Texas Challenge 2007.

He mods for texasgeocaching.com.

He is an all around promoter of geocaching and positive leader in our local community, having recently gotten some excellent local media coverage for our sport.

He bends over backward to welcome new geocachers and visitors to our area.

I gotta get back to work, but I'm sure someone will continue my list..... :cry:

Geek-Qualizer is a GREAT guy! I second this nomination and agree totally with all Mark has said! Jason's Houston Geocachers site is AWESOME and he is just an all around terrific person! He does a lot to promote the sport and bring geocachers together. I'm proud to count him as one of my geo-friends! :cry:

Zephyr

I have met him a couple of times and he is always "hands on" when it comes to events, caches in general and general knowledge of the Houston Area and the caches that are placed here.

I really enjoy the website he has put togethor for our area. It is a great way for cachers to keep in constant contact through the forum, even though we may not see eachother for months because of events, we get togethor through the forum and discuss the latest and greatest practically every day!

A group of Northwest Cachers did the "infamous" 4-Cache Loop in Huntsville. He had done it many times himself but was willing to meet us at the park and do the cache with us. This cache is a 10 mile hike! I was really appreciative of his offer because he had already done it so many times, but we opt to do it on our own and we made it. I will tell you there were a couple of times I though "Should have met GQ here, but not because of coords problems, I needed help going through the ravines and someone had to heave me up the cliff!

I think he deserves this because of his commitment not only to Geocaching but to us, the HGCS family.

Elisa of Georeynozos

Here in Australia, there's probably nobody who could compare to Ideology.

They were amongst the very first cachers, both finders and placers, and had an awesome reputation in both capacities. They haven't placed many caches, but the ones they have are spoken of in hushed and respectful tones!

They started and hosted the geocaching.com.au site as a place for a local forum and for local cachers to host their personal websites and it's grown and grown in the years since, and is now the hub of the Aussie caching society.

One of their initiatives was a range of ideogear (branded merchandise), before signature items had become as commonplace as they are today. As these were often left in caches that they were FTF, I'm sure there were cachers who might've hung back a bit to get to be second and score a hat or similar!

Both members of ideology are generally known as "George" (even though this isn't the real name of either of them!), and unfortunately George (not George) had a cycling accident a while ago and is now unable to walk very far, putting a bit of a crimp in their caching activities. There was one cache placed in their front yard soon after the accident, so George could get another find without needing to travel too far!

These guys aren't short of a buck or two, and have been known to fly the ideocopter to some of the more remote caches (really! They own a chopper!) and the sight of a Lotus or Porsche parked near a GZ was a sure sign that another FTF had gone to the boys!

An el D staff, though, is something that I'm pretty sure they don't have and I'd be tickled pink to be able to present them with one...

For us lucky enough to live in South Carolina and know Jon and Miki there's really no contest.

This pair of cachers has used geocaching to touch more lives in profound ways than I ever thought could be possible by working with the Palmetto Childrens Hospital here in Columbia, SC to create geocaching activities for children and their siblings suffering from all sorts of terrible illnesses. I've personally seen children get the gift of childhood back for a short time thanks to Jon and Miki. This is confirmed by astounded and grateful caregivers and parents:

One example of the miracle brought by Jon and Miki's use of geocaching to bring grace and healing is in this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=147704

And for those of us who are just plain mercenary in SC, Jon and Miki rescued geocaching here in SC almost singlehandedly by working tirelessly with the SC State Archeologist to verify and confirm that geocaching is a benefit in every way to South Carolina. This effort of education, ambassadorship, coordination and selfless dedication revealed the fallacy of the attempted geocaching ban legislation in South Carolina. With the help of Pyewacket, Sissy and CR, Heidi, Tin Sparrow, Overcached, llatnek, Geoholic28, The Commissar, Parrolet, Llenyaw and many others, Jon and Miki took the high road and demonstrated in an unmistakable way that geocachers are positive contributors to the citizens of the state.

There's no way to reward Jon and Miki enough for how much they've done for geocachers and many more folks, but a nice hiking stick (or two, give them mine if they are chosen since they're a twofer) would be a shadow of a ghost of a hint of a start.

If you don't like TandS blame Jon and Miki. They're our role model.

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

Here are the final 5. I do want to say it was really hard to narrow it down to just 5. You have until Monday at 5pm EST to email your vote at JC364@aol.com. Only one vote will be accepted. If you try to vote more than once I will void all your votes. Voting in the forums won't count as a vote. Time to go rally support for your nominations. Good luck!!

El Diablo

1. By: Clan Riffster

Obviously these forums are chock full of good folks deserving a win. Folks who, even in the face of adversity, (AKA: Clan Riffster Snarkiness), maintain a positive outlook. That list would be incredibly long, and would include such pillars of the geocaching community as Snoogans, Ambrosia, Moose Mob, Keystone, Briansnat & Mtn Man, to name just a few. But since I haven't had the pleasure of meeting any of these folks, I had to make my nomination from personal experience;

Greg, from The Federation has been caching since April of '02. He is the current President of NEFGA, The NorthEast Florida Geocachers Association, which sponsored GeoWoodstock 3, and which was instrumental in the development of personal geocoins as they are known today. Even with all these accomplishments under his belt, Greg still goes well above & beyond the call of duty to help out other cachers in distress and to teach noobs the ropes. I first met Greg at the very first geocaching event I attended, and due to time constraints, I was only able to pop by for a few minutes. We had never met, yet he was able to talk at length about some of my hides which he admired. During my brief encounter, I told him how much I liked the design on his geocoin, and asked if he had any to sell. (I hadn't owned any coins up to that point) He pulled one from his pocket and gave it to me. That coin sits in a place of honor above my monitor as a daily reminder to be generous with my praise as well as my efforts.

Greg, You Da Man!

2. By: Cezanne

I am aware of the fact that this forum is US-dominated. I do not expect that the candidate I am going to nominate has any chances to win. Neither do I have an ambition to win myself. The driving force behind my nomination is just to say thank you to Gert (see http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=cd...6d-0baec1b39b97 ) and to increase the visibility of the European, and in particular of the Austrian geocaching community.

Gert is one of the pioneers of geocaching in Austria. He has hidden the first geocache in Styria, the federal province of Austria in which I live. At the time when Gert started to hide caches in Styria, there were no caches in very large area around Gert's home. I know that several other persons who became later geocachers visited every now and then the web site geocaching.com and left when they realized that there were no caches in their area. Gert was the one who decided to change the situation by getting engaged into hiding.

Moreover, Gert has organized the first Austrian geocaching event

(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=160ee813-6c64-4d92-b77b-fa3e0b890cd2 )

and was involved into the organization of the annual Styrian geocaching events that took place in the years after 2003. Up to now he has hidden more than 50 caches which makes him part of the top5 cache hiders of Austria. The majority of his caches are hiking caches showing the nice landscape of Styria and are much more time-consuming for the hider from the point of view of maintenance than urban drive-ins.

The thank-you-Erik photograph (to thank the reviewer Erik) taken at a small local event in February this year

was also Gert's idea (see the gallery of this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...33-eb157865c1cb ).

This shows that Gert not only has contributed a lot to the Austrian geocaching community, but also appreciates the contributions made by others and does not take their work for granted.

Apart from his influence on the Austrian geocaching community I sketched above, I also owe special

thanks to Gert on a personal level. The first three caches that I found on my own, have all been hidden by Gert. While I was not fascinated at all when I visited my first cache together with a friend and her GPS, I got soon much more interested when I started to visit caches on my own (at that time without a GPS).

Moreover, I learnt to know Gert as a nice geocaching colleague who is always willing to help other geocachers. I profited numerous times from his advice when I did not know whether I would be able to

reach caches with high terrain ratings. Some of the caches of Gert pushed me to my limits and even further and motivated me to try things I would not have ever tried without the caches serving as motivation.

I will never forget how happy I was after having had reached Stage 1 of this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...75-967f63421e61

In short, I nominate Gert because he has brought a lot of enjoyment to me and many other Austrian geocachers. Thanks.

Cezanne

3. By: Tands

For us lucky enough to live in South Carolina and know Jon and Miki there's really no contest.

This pair of cachers has used geocaching to touch more lives in profound ways than I ever thought could be possible by working with the Palmetto Childrens Hospital here in Columbia, SC to create geocaching activities for children and their siblings suffering from all sorts of terrible illnesses. I've personally seen children get the gift of childhood back for a short time thanks to Jon and Miki. This is confirmed by astounded and grateful caregivers and parents:

One example of the miracle brought by Jon and Miki's use of geocaching to bring grace and healing is in this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=147704

And for those of us who are just plain mercenary in SC, Jon and Miki rescued geocaching here in SC almost singlehandedly by working tirelessly with the SC State Archeologist to verify and confirm that geocaching is a benefit in every way to South Carolina. This effort of education, ambassadorship, coordination and selfless dedication revealed the fallacy of the attempted geocaching ban legislation in South Carolina. With the help of Pyewacket, Sissy and CR, Heidi, Tin Sparrow, Overcached, llatnek, Geoholic28, The Commissar, Parrolet, Llenyaw and many others, Jon and Miki took the high road and demonstrated in an unmistakable way that geocachers are positive contributors to the citizens of the state.

There's no way to reward Jon and Miki enough for how much they've done for geocachers and many more folks, but a nice hiking stick (or two, give them mine if they are chosen since they're a twofer) would be a shadow of a ghost of a hint of a start.

If you don't like TandS blame Jon and Miki. They're our role model.

- T of TandS

4. By: Snoogans (Note: I was really difficult deciding who best represented GQ.)

He would never dream of tooting his own horn, but GQ has really been the driving force keeping the Houston Area geocachers together since our own "Mom & Pop" (usmorrows) of our little geocaching famdamily have been less active due to real life challenges.

He built and runs HGCS.org.

He hosts and cohosts events. Including a near Mega-Event, the Texas Challenge 2007.

He mods for texasgeocaching.com.

He is an all around promoter of geocaching and positive leader in our local community, having recently gotten some excellent local media coverage for our sport.

He bends over backward to welcome new geocachers and visitors to our area.

Along with this post….

Gotta tell a little story about 9Key, GQ, UsMorrows, and a well known El Diablo hicking stick: (This is a Gift of the Magi kinda story. You may cry.)

A few years back the entire state of Texas backed 9Key in a popularity contest for best cache approver (back in the olden days we called 'em approvers) to win a coveted El Diablo hiking stick. Texas is a huge close knit caching community in no small part because of 9Key & Usmorrows (among others) efforts to bring Texas cachers together for the first Texas Challenge in 2003 and needless to say 9Key won the hiking stick.

Roll forword to Texas Challenge 2004 and 9Key gave up his prized El Diablo hiking stick to the silent auction to help PAY for the event to keep all the food and extras free to all.

Jason (GQ) shocked everyone when he bought the hiking stick for something like $150 which was 3 or more times the previous high bid. He liked the stick, but he wanted to help fund the event more.

Roll foreword to the launch of The Houston GeoCaching Society. (HGCS.org) GQ wanted to have a "Featured Cachers" area and to launch it properly he featured UsMorrows. Given UsMorrows great position in the local geocaching community he wanted to do something extra special, yet geocaching related, to mark the occasion. He gave up his prized El Diablo hiking stick and presented it to them.

It would be totally cool if it came back to him two-fold.

Here's a better picture of UsMorrows with the stick.

UsMorrows featured cacher article.

Roll foreword to today and you'll find GQ workin' hard to get the 5th Texas Challenge organized. This one may be big enough to get Mega-Event status.

5. By Team Tigger International

Star

Edited by El Diablo

I vote for GeekQualizer...He's the most humble, helpful, thoughtful, gracious, forum administrator on the planet.

He contributed to a Houston Chronicle article that was very impressive and I judge he wouldn't have even mentioned it if we hadn't found out from the journalist. He's just a great guy, and always there to help.

We love ya GQ....you're the BEST! :tired:

Edited by Tx_Secsy & Jeff

I vote for GeekQualizer...He's the most humble, helpful, thoughtful, gracious, forum administrator on the planet.

He contributed to a Houston Chronicle article that was very impressive and I judge he wouldn't have even mentioned it if we hadn't found out from the journalist. He's just a great guy, and always there to help.

We love ya GQ....you're the BEST! :tired:

GQ had made it into the top 5. It's now time to send El Diablo an email to pick who you want to win. :ph34r:

Here are the final 5. I do want to say it was really hard to narrow it down to just 5. You have until Monday at 5pm EST to email your vote at JC364@aol.com. Only one vote will be accepted. If you try to vote more than once I will void all your votes. Voting in the forums won't count as a vote. Time to go rally support for your nominations. Good luck!!

El Diablo

I have to throw my vote in for Jon & Miki. Not only have they spread good caching will across our great state and fought tirelessly against the anti-geocaching bill but they also spread that same goodwill in all their endeavors.

Just recently, for example, Camp Chemo (I hope that the spelling is right) that they undertook to spread a little joy to sick children. It is never about the smilies with these two. The only smilies they worry about are the ones on others faces.

Had it not been for Jon, myself and a couple of other cachers would not be caching today. He is a voice of reason in a crowd of unreasonable folks a lot of the time for me.

So YAY JON & MIKI!

X

Well I could write a book here, but I will keep it short. My vote goes to Jon & Miki...I also am fortunate to live in the area where this dynamic duo resides. They have done soooo much for caching in the state of South Carolina. They have introduced many folks to caching and were one of the keystones in helping silence H3777(Anti-caching Bill) I think the world of them and could not think of anyone else that deserves this honor more. I love you guys...God Bless You !!!!

This was an unbelievable contest as far as votes go. There are only 3 votes separating 1st place from 5th place! It was really touching to read the testimonials that accompanied the votes. All 5 nominees have earned the highest respect and admiration from their peers. To sum up all the testimonials….you people rock!!

The winner is Jon & Miki and of course Tands for nominating them. Congratulations!

El Diablo

Congratulations! I've seen the staffs first hand and they are nice. :laughing:

You know... It would have been awfully hard to explain to my Dad why I wasn't carrying around one of the several he has made for me over the years; would have hate to break his heart just before Christmas... :laughing::laughing:

Edited by Geek-Qualizer

There are only 3 votes separating 1st place from 5th place!

>>>>>clip<<<<<

The winner is Jon & Miki and of course Tands for nominating them. Congratulations!

El Diablo

Congratulations Jon & Miki! not only on winning, but also on all the wonderful accolades and testimonials about all you do for geocaching. There are some great folks on the East Side of the country!!

WoW! Only 3 votes seperating 1st from 5th place!? *They* always say your ONE vote DOES count, now I really believe it!!!

Congratulations again, (and to tands, also on winning the essay). Cache on...................

WCB

Edited by Wild Cat Bud

With great sadness we found out that Jon Barry passed away today. The South Carolina Geocaching community is in a state of shock and grief at this profound loss.

Please keep Jon's family in your thoughts and prayers.

His adopted Geocaching Family has lost its father.

- T of TandS

I have been thinking about this all morning. I didn't really know Jon personally. But it is affecting me, perhaps because of certain things going on in my life right now, and because lately it seems like there have been a lot of people I know dying. I am tired of death and sickness and sadness. My heart goes out to Jon's family. This morning at church when we were having prayers requests, I asked for prayers for friends and family.