Free Hiking staff

El Diablo

The forums have been a little depressing lately. To win this staff you must post something that you admire about another cacher. What they have done for the sport/game/hobby to better it, help others, place caches, etc... The winner and the person they posted about will receive a staff by Christmas. Sothere will actually be 2 staffs given away.

Geocaching is a fun part of our lifes. So have fun with this and be serious. There are a lot of people out there that do things to help caching.

You have until December 1st. I'll narrow it to 5 people and your peers will decide from there.

El Diablo

So I had to post this, not because I want it to win, or think that it will, but because I want to let everyone know about my favorite fellow cacher, my daughter Sara, all of 10 this week.

I can't drive, so I bicycle everywhere. On the days that I decide to go somewhere I take her with, she bicycles with me. We have done 20 miles in a day, at the age of nine, without a whimper. And she does this because she likes being with her father and she likes to geocache.

I'm glad I had the chance to tell everyone, I'm very proud of her.... :)

I nominate Clyde. His program, GSAK, seems to have done more to help cachers have fun than anything since PQs. Putting your PQs in a PDA was possible before, but it's so much better with GSAK and all it's nifty bells and whistles. That sure makes it easier to have more fun out caching without worrying about print outs.

Not only that, but he's not shy about working with folks in the forums (here and his own) to answer questions about it and he's always doing it in a friendly manner.

So I had to post this, not because I want it to win, or think that it will, but because I want to let everyone know about my favorite fellow cacher, my daughter Sara, all of 10 this week.

I can't drive, so I bicycle everywhere. On the days that I decide to go somewhere I take her with, she bicycles with me. We have done 20 miles in a day, at the age of nine, without a whimper. And she does this because she likes being with her father and she likes to geocache.

I'm glad I had the chance to tell everyone, I'm very proud of her.... :rolleyes:

I'm glad you shared. Sounds like a daughter be proud of. :)

El Diablo

I nominate Geek-Qualizer. (GQ)

He would never dream of tooting his own horn, but GQ has really been the driving force keeping the Houston Area geocachers together since our own "Mom & Pop" (usmorrows) of our little geocaching famdamily have been less active due to real life challenges.

He built and runs HGCS.org.

He hosts and cohosts events. Including a near Mega-Event, the Texas Challenge 2007.

He mods for texasgeocaching.com.

He is an all around promoter of geocaching and positive leader in our local community, having recently gotten some excellent local media coverage for our sport.

He bends over backward to welcome new geocachers and visitors to our area.

I gotta get back to work, but I'm sure someone will continue my list..... :)

Obviously these forums are chock full of good folks deserving a win. Folks who, even in the face of adversity, (AKA: Clan Riffster Snarkiness), maintain a positive outlook. That list would be incredibly long, and would include such pillars of the geocaching community as Snoogans, Ambrosia, Moose Mob, Keystone, Briansnat & Mtn Man, to name just a few. But since I haven't had the pleasure of meeting any of these folks, I had to make my nomination from personal experience;

Greg, from The Federation has been caching since April of '02. He is the current President of NEFGA, The NorthEast Florida Geocachers Association, which sponsored GeoWoodstock 3, and which was instrumental in the development of personal geocoins as they are known today. Even with all these accomplishments under his belt, Greg still goes well above & beyond the call of duty to help out other cachers in distress and to teach noobs the ropes. I first met Greg at the very first geocaching event I attended, and due to time constraints, I was only able to pop by for a few minutes. We had never met, yet he was able to talk at length about some of my hides which he admired. During my brief encounter, I told him how much I liked the design on his geocoin, and asked if he had any to sell. (I hadn't owned any coins up to that point) He pulled one from his pocket and gave it to me. That coin sits in a place of honor above my monitor as a daily reminder to be generous with my praise as well as my efforts.

Greg, You Da Man! :)

We second the nonimation for Geek-Qualizer.

He volunteers his time to:

organizations that would like to know more about geocaching

show out of town and local cachers the best that Houston has to offer

promote and organize geocaching events

He has on more than one occasion guided groups of cachers on a 10 to 11 mile hike to find "the four cache loop".

Here is a third nomination for Geek-Qualizer. Others have mentioned his "boyscout" qualities -- trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, etc.

But let's hit the nail on the head. Geocaching is not just a hobby or a fad or a passing fancy for GQ. In fact, there is only one thing in this world that GQ loves more than geocaching. That is his dog, Breeze who he has trained to cache with him. On a recent night cache outing, I watched Breeze led the way on a mile hike taking us straight to the cache. GQ, is about as good a "poster child" for this hobby/sport as I can possible imagine.

Oh, and Breeze wants me to add her vote, too. :)

Aloft23

I admire Aloft not because of his immense numbers (over 3000!) but because he's not about the numbers. For his 3000th find, he did not decide to do some huge landmark cache, but made it a milestone, anyway. He decided to find that milestone with his son, who was deploying to Afghanistan to fight our country. He said it didn't matter which cache it was, as long as he found it with his son. I find that very admirable!

I will nominate carleenp. Very friendly and helpful to all. A calm reasoning voice here in the forums. She has traveled around to many areas of Nebraska and I love to read her logs. I will also honorably mention NevaP (carleen's Mom). Best pictures and logs I have read.

I have my own staff from a few year's ago but I would like another - to give away.....

Very self-centeredly, I nominate Keith&Company. My sister and brother in law (Keith and his company) insisted we visit geocaching.com. They were on fire! Me - well, whatever. After several phone calls, we received a package in the mail - a little yellow etrex. Figuring we'd HAVE to go because they went through the trouble, we went - and three years and three hundred finds later, we're still having a blast! That little yellow etrex was passed on to my husband's brother and his wife so they could share in the joy too.

If you read any of their logs, from the caches they've placed to the events they've attended/held, there are always kids around. That is the usual "company" with them. They have kids all up and down their street in the neighborhood who pile in the cache mobile and enjoy the great outdoors with these two wonderful people.

Mary Jo and Keith are my parents in the geocaching sense, and they have spread the love of the outdoors to the younger generation as well. Their enthusiasm for geocaching and their willingness to give back to the sport/RASH has been an inspiration to the Morgan's Marauders.

I am always proud to speak to cachers who have been to Ohio and hear them speak the praises of Keith&Company. They get my vote! AND - if they win - I think it would be really cool if THEY received BOTH sticks - a his and hers, if you will! :)

Geek-Qualizer is one of those unsung hero types. I know of several things he has done to promote geocaching beyond those already mentioned. I can't and won't mention them as to not embarress him. I will say this though, he will go out of his way to help one of his geo family even if it has nothing to do with geocaching. He even pulled a constable's four wheeler out of a ditch as the result of being chased for driving his SUV where he shouldn't while looking for a cache. Is that a great guy or what!?

I say again he is one of those people who works hard behind the scenes to keep geocaching fun for the rest of us. GQ deserves the recognition.

Jim

We nominate Geek-Qualizer. (GQ)

He started and maintains the houston area geocaching website, he is a moderator on the texas geocaching website. i have attend numerous events that he either hosted or co hosted, as well as he attends events hosted by other cachers.

i have cached with him on numerous caches, along with his dog breeze..he actually laughs, when i have cached with him..because breeze completely ignores me--when i try and call him back...

i have called GQ a few times also to help me with geocaching computer programs, GSAk questions, Laptop problems. I have never seen or heard anyone speak of him turning down a geocaching project...GQ i need help--and he's always been there to help no matter what the project,

Geocaching is one of his top priority in life.

You will not find a more trustworthy, honest, caring person with a passion like his for geocaching.

Our VOTE--Geek Qualizer.

signed Joyrose and Hubby Bull.

I nominate Geek-Qualizer. (GQ).

He is the creator and administrator of the Houston Geocaching Society Organization in Houston. It is a great fourm that I use daily. He has added features that make it easy to use and he welcomes all members.

In addition, he welcomes all new cachers to the hobby. He frequently organizes impromptu groups or new cachers to cache together. He has put out some outstanding caches. I remember going to one of my first outdoor events and he went out of his way to offer me one of his portable chairs to sit in. He was a local guide during a geo-teaming event. He was our technical guru at a large Texas Challenge event. He is a great promoter of the hobby.

Edited by MedTexPlacer

I would like to nominate SIXDOGTEAM

the man has done much for the geocaching community in INDIANA , he brought us this fantastic series of caches known as INDIANA SPIRIT QUEST He brought cachers from all over the state together to place these quality caches with loads of history . It has even spread into the Michigan Spirit Quest series and The Ontario Canada Spirit Quest series , all of which owe there exsistance to this man.

Sixdogteam has a fantastic sense of humor and is lots of fun to be around and cache with . He gave us The Leage of Extrodiornary GEO EARTHDOGS as well . Sometimes it is his little white dog that gets all the attention, but he was kind enough to share the fun with the famous PATRICK with us , and yes Patrick does have his own account and this little white doggy does geocache , I have been caching with him myself. Patrick has even place some caches of his own , The best of these being Patrick's Waterfall series.

Simply put SixDogTeam is one of INDIANA's very BEST !

Star

I am aware of the fact that this forum is US-dominated. I do not expect that the candidate I am going to nominate has any chances to win. Neither do I have an ambition to win myself. The driving force behind my nomination is just to say thank you to Gert (see http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=cd...6d-0baec1b39b97 ) and to increase the visibility of the European, and in particular of the Austrian geocaching community.

Gert is one of the pioneers of geocaching in Austria. He has hidden the first geocache in Styria, the federal province of Austria in which I live. At the time when Gert started to hide caches in Styria, there were no caches in very large area around Gert's home. I know that several other persons who became later geocachers visited every now and then the web site geocaching.com and left when they realized that there were no caches in their area. Gert was the one who decided to change the situation by getting engaged into hiding.

Moreover, Gert has organized the first Austrian geocaching event

(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=160ee813-6c64-4d92-b77b-fa3e0b890cd2 )

and was involved into the organization of the annual Styrian geocaching events that took place in the years after 2003. Up to now he has hidden more than 50 caches which makes him part of the top5 cache hiders of Austria. The majority of his caches are hiking caches showing the nice landscape of Styria and are much more time-consuming for the hider from the point of view of maintenance than urban drive-ins.

The thank-you-Erik photograph (to thank the reviewer Erik) taken at a small local event in February this year

was also Gert's idea (see the gallery of this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...33-eb157865c1cb ).

This shows that Gert not only has contributed a lot to the Austrian geocaching community, but also appreciates the contributions made by others and does not take their work for granted.

Apart from his influence on the Austrian geocaching community I sketched above, I also owe special

thanks to Gert on a personal level. The first three caches that I found on my own, have all been hidden by Gert. While I was not fascinated at all when I visited my first cache together with a friend and her GPS, I got soon much more interested when I started to visit caches on my own (at that time without a GPS).

Moreover, I learnt to know Gert as a nice geocaching colleague who is always willing to help other geocachers. I profited numerous times from his advice when I did not know whether I would be able to

reach caches with high terrain ratings. Some of the caches of Gert pushed me to my limits and even further and motivated me to try things I would not have ever tried without the caches serving as motivation.

I will never forget how happy I was after having had reached Stage 1 of this cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...75-967f63421e61

In short, I nominate Gert because he has brought a lot of enjoyment to me and many other Austrian geocachers. Thanks.

Cezanne

Edited by cezanne

It's NOT all about me, nor do I want it to be so...but because I never received the hiking staff I won over three years ago, I'd like to throw my name into the hat. No sour grapes nor bitterness here...merely a request that the right thing be done after so much time has elapsed without so much as a single, "I'm workin' on it".

If this makes me sounds egotistical and/or petty, so be it, but I prefer to think that, at one time, I was a fervent advocate of caching and did much in creating an awareness for the activity.

Yeah, I'll most likely regret this post, but it certainly won't be the first regret I've ever experienced. ::cynicism::

As stated by Snoogan 's:

He would never dream of tooting his own horn, but GQ has really been the driving force keeping the Houston Area geocachers together since our own "Mom & Pop" (usmorrows) of our little geocaching famdamily have been less active due to real life challenges.

He built and runs HGCS.org.

He hosts and cohosts events. Including a near Mega-Event, the Texas Challenge 2007.

He mods for texasgeocaching.com.

He is an all around promoter of geocaching and positive leader in our local community, having recently gotten some excellent local media coverage for our sport.

He bends over backward to welcome new geocachers and visitors to our area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I might add to Snoogan's list.

He goes to as many GC events as he can, Sometimes more than 1 in a day.

He has, not that I know of, ever turned down computer, gps assistance to another cacher.

He volunteers his expertise and knowlege of geocaching at the drop of a hat.

He invites everyone to participate in HGCS.org.

He is personable, easy going, and a friend to everyone.

He has a great dog..."Breeze".

I would not go so far to say "to know him, is to love him", but I am happy to say that I consider him a good friend, good caching partner, and because of him, my interest in caching has been fueled.

GQ Rocks!

Two Dog Knight

I would like to nominate two of our locals.... Coach Tony and Martian Rabbit.

While I have not had the pleasure of meeting either of these men in person yet, I have heard nothing but great things about them. Both are active cachers with many finds as well as great hides.

MR was more than patient with me when I made myself look like an idiot. He has made many containers up and left them in other caches so others can quickly hide a new cache without the worry of the container not being good enough.

Coach is active in the local community, coaching girls soccer (among other things I am sure). His hides vary, but are almost always places that are important to our community.... the local theater for one.

Both of these men in addition to a few other locals are trying to get a local caching group together.

Hmm, leaves me out, I've only met two cachers and they are both noobs, and no one will nominate me.

So I'll name Cybret in honor of the wonderful log he left for my Hickory Hill cache, it truly made my effort in hiding it worthwhile.

And please send a staff to Pyewacket if you still owe him one, I'm sure it's just an oversight but he has to feel abit neglected by now. :P

I want to nominate Flagman. I can't think of any geocacher that has given more to geocaching in our area than Flagman. Flagman has not only hidden many creative caches but has given in so many other ways. He created a new series of 30 geocacher trading cards in honor of a local cacher named Yrium who passed away at the young age of 44. It was Yrium's idea to create geocacher cards much like baseball cards. Yrium created 20 Yrium's Pals cards and then had just launched a new series called UDesignIt cards. He created a travel bug called the UDesignIt Card that gave the finder of the card the priviledge of picking the next geocacher to be the subject of the next card. However, only three UDesignIt cards were made before Yrium passed away. After Yrium death, Tom picked up the torch and continued Yrium's vision by creating a new series of cards called the Yrium Memorial Series Trading Cards. The San Diego geocaching community had so much fun finding and collecting these cards. Flagman spent countless hours designing, printing and hiding the cards all on his own dime. It really brought our community of geocachers together and made us the close knit group we are today! So I would like to see Flagman get a little something back from the geocaching community for all his efforts and dedication! ;)

P.S. If this nomination happens to win, I would like to see the second hiking staff to the geocacher that gets the second most votes! :P

Edited by TrailGators

I want to nominate Flagman. I can't think of any geocacher that has given more to geocaching in our area than Flagman. Flagman has not only hidden many creative caches but has given in so many other ways. He created a new series of 30 geocacher trading cards in honor of a local cacher named Yrium who passed away at the young age of 44. It was Yrium's idea to create geocacher cards much like baseball cards. Yrium created 20 Yrium's Pals cards and then had just launched a new series called UDesignIt cards. He created a travel bug called the UDesignIt Card that gave the finder of the card the priviledge of picking the next geocacher to be the subject of the next card. However, only three UDesignIt cards were made before Yrium passed away. After Yrium death, Tom picked up the torch and continued Yrium's vision by creating a new series of cards called the Yrium Memorial Series Trading Cards. The San Diego geocaching community had so much fun finding and collecting these cards. Flagman spent countless hours designing, printing and hiding the cards all on his own dime. It really brought our community of geocachers together and made us the close knit group we are today! So I would like to see Flagman get a little something back from the geocaching community for all his efforts and dedication! :P

I would also like to nominate Flagman. He has been outstanding in his contributions to geocaching, especially in the San Diego area. He has also shown kindness to others and it is always great to talk with him.

Paul

aka Team Adelos

Hmm, leaves me out, I've only met two cachers and they are both noobs, and no one will nominate me.

So I'll name Cybret in honor of the wonderful log he left for my Hickory Hill cache, it truly made my effort in hiding it worthwhile.

And please send a staff to Pyewacket if you still owe him her one, I'm sure it's just an oversight but he she has to feel abit neglected by now. ;)

:P629d5d55-a747-480f-b520-07c28789a95e.jpg:P

I want to nominate Flagman. I can't think of any geocacher that has given more to geocaching in our area than Flagman. Flagman has not only hidden many creative caches but has given in so many other ways. He created a new series of 30 geocacher trading cards in honor of a local cacher named Yrium who passed away at the young age of 44. It was Yrium's idea to create geocacher cards much like baseball cards. Yrium created 20 Yrium's Pals cards and then had just launched a new series called UDesignIt cards. He created a travel bug called the UDesignIt Card that gave the finder of the card the priviledge of picking the next geocacher to be the subject of the next card. However, only three UDesignIt cards were made before Yrium passed away. After Yrium death, Tom picked up the torch and continued Yrium's vision by creating a new series of cards called the Yrium Memorial Series Trading Cards. The San Diego geocaching community had so much fun finding and collecting these cards. Flagman spent countless hours designing, printing and hiding the cards all on his own dime. It really brought our community of geocachers together and made us the close knit group we are today! So I would like to see Flagman get a little something back from the geocaching community for all his efforts and dedication! ;)

I would also like to nominate Flagman. He has been outstanding in his contributions to geocaching, especially in the San Diego area. He has also shown kindness to others and it is always great to talk with him.

Paul

aka Team Adelos

:P:P We second that nomination for FLAGMAN. We can't say enough good things about him and what he contributes to our local community. Plus..it's so much fun trying to stump him with puzzle caches. R/ Jodi and john aka (Jahoadi and John)

;)

And please send a staff to Pyewacket if you still owe him her one, I'm sure it's just an oversight but he she has to feel abit neglected by now. :P

:P629d5d55-a747-480f-b520-07c28789a95e.jpg:P

Hmm, I guess I would have known that if I'd read the part under you avatar. :P:P

And please send a staff to Pyewacket if you still owe him one, I'm sure it's just an oversight but he has to feel abit neglected by now. ;)

Cybret would be a great choice. I have been very impressed with his Geocacher University site. Plus he is a fun guy! :P

;) There are a lot of deserving cachers out there, and I believe that the community in general is chock full of good people! But my nomination would have to go to Cav_Scout! He is a member of the US military stationed in Iraq and creator of the OIFGA geocoin which by the way was coordinated from Iraq also I believe. Geocaching in a war zone is definitely worth my vote. In addition he has organized charity auctions for injured soldiers, and has been a liason for donations of toys and goodies for the local Iraq children. Seems like a worthy nomination. :P Edited by 57chevy

I would shout out loudly that it should be Geek-Qualizer! This guy is not only geo friendly to everyone, his tireless attitude towards fellow cachers has been legendary in our group. Never does he turn down a question or call for help. He binds us together as a group in Houston, keeps us focused on positive when the occasional negative vibe appears, and will go out with newbies to ensure that their experience with caching is so good that they will continue not only to cache, but to recruit and pass on this wonderful sport. All that has been said in earlier posts not only are accurate, but are but a mere scratch of his goodness. Cacher or tech geek, his soul is in the right place, and to me, those gems are few and far between in this world today. Award the staff to him, and know that it was well placed.

:laughing:

I'll nominate blocko1000, he carried 2 large ammo cans 1500' verticle up to the "Long live ammo cans" cache SE of Reno and left them so others could place ammo can caches.

That was in july, a week ago when I was there, one was remaining so I carried it down & placed the cache the other day. I named the cache after him, "Blocko's ammo can"

jimmy :laughing:

I nominate Smiling Little Perch, of Riverview, Florida. The biggest sweetheart I know, always a hug to greet you, and smiles from when you meet until you break for the night. All of that and a great cacher too!

She broke her hiking stick as well, recently, and would surely love a nice one, she deserves it in my book.

I nominate Darkmoon. He is a cacher in Oklahoma City who has been caching for years.

He is a VERY prolific hider, sometimes getting more than 5 caches a week approved. He has more than 140 active caches, and maintains them all very well. His caches and pages are creative and interesting. He caches almost every day, and writes thoughtful and descriptive logs in which he sometimes uses hyperbole and/or self-depricating humor to help others to enjoy his writings. He has more than 1500 finds, and he couldn't care less about the numbers.

He will go caching with anyone who asks at the drop of a hat. He drops what he is doing to show a newbie or out of town cacher where all the kinds of caches are that they want to find, whether evil hides, off road caches, or long hikes.

He spends a lot of time each week after work exploring undeveloped or run-down areas in and around Oklahoma City so that he can find new places to hide interesting caches. To my knowledge, he has never hidden an uninteresting cache.

He also attends every event in the area, and contributes to events to make them more fun and interesting.

There is not a single person who meets this man who doesn't like him on some level. He has enhanced our enjoyment and learning of this sport immensely.

Edited by Okiebryan

I nominate Geek-Qualizer from Houston. There are several reasons that he is a good choice:

1) He helps new cachers (like myself)

2) He set up, funds, and administers the Houston Geocaching Association website

3) He hosts events

4) He attends every event he can make it to

5) He is always willing to lend a hand for geocaching events or if anyone he knows needs help

6) He just makes geocaching fun.

We too will have to go with Geek Qualizer on this one. Although there are many very nice cachers we have come across, not one of them have dropped what they were doing and come to meet us on some rather difficult caches in a driving rain. We would have still been out there lost with dead batteries!

1. Reputation is important. He is outstanding in that area.

2. Always available either by phone, PM or email for help with caching.

3. Likewise available for help in other slightly off geocaching topic areas as well.

4. Although he has done the 10+ mile "Four Cache Loop" walk, still goes out to help guide a group of people through the forest on their first experience.

5. Shows up at events 3 hours from home to support the efforts of non-local cachers.

6. Friendly with everyone.

7. Has one of the coolest dogs around, especially when she wears the blinking LED collar on night caches.

8. Etc. Etc.

There are so many in Indiana or associated with it, that I can't even begin to pick just one. I've looked at this thread a few times, and thought, "I should nominate ______" and then I think, "Oh, but what about ______" and can't decide between them.

We've got cachers that have been at it for years, and still take time every week to help newbies get started, cachers that lead others on group hikes, folks that have helped sponsor major events, and some have sponsored regular events for many years. We've got folks that organize CITOs and ones that take time to work with scout groups, school kids, parks, and nature preserves. We've got great reviewers all around us. We've got folks that will lend you one of their trekking poles, or even give you a pair of hiking sticks when you are a newbie. We've got folks that have been members for years, hidden many great caches, and written superb advice to new hiders. We've got people that will carry that big rock up that long hill for you because you are soaking wet, and folks that will pack a large box of rocks across country to bring back to you to use for your classes. We've got people that will volunteer to pick up a TB and deliver it to a total stranger just to make things nice for some cacher they've never met.

I can think of at least 5 people locally that have done most or all of those things at one time or another--how could I ever pick just one! I guess I'll just have to settle for knowing that I took this moment to appreciate them. Yep, we've got 'em all, and they are all darn nice.

Edited by Neos2

Wow! With all the votes for GQ, I'm guessing you will have to cut the second staff in to little bits to give to each person who put his name into the hat.

Better yet give GQ both and then he could raffle off the one at an event, like the upcoming Texas Challange. :laughing: (and no that is not a spelling mistake) :)

Wow! With all the votes for GQ, I'm guessing you will have to cut the second staff in to little bits to give to each person who put his name into the hat.

Better yet give GQ both and then he could raffle off the one at an event, like the upcoming Texas Challange. :) (and no that is not a spelling mistake) :)

El D said nothing at all about this being a popularity contest in his OP. That leaves me to think that one deserving post could win the contest even if it's NOT GQ. 4 other people have a chance assuming GQ is one of the top 5.

Or El D could just draw from all the folks that nominated GQ... ummm....IF he wins. Of course, that's IF El D wants to do it that way.

If you want to go on individual merit, my favorite post among all the posts for GQ so far is Fivesecrethunter's post. Marty nailed it with brevity. Might I note, he also lost his GC.com forum cherry making that post too. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

GQ for sure.

Houston is a major caching city and GQ has done more to support and advance area geocaching than anyone else bar none.

He helps everyone.

As has been said he set up, funds and operates the Houston Geocaching Society website.

What everyone has said is true. It's hard to overstate how much he does to help beginners and advanced geocachers and geocaching itself.

He's an all-round friendly terriffic guy.

I'm thinking about asking him to marry me :laughing::):)

Edited by Thot

Houston is a major caching city and GQ has done more to support and advance area geocaching than anyone else bar none.

From Thot's perspective that is a true statement, but I think even GQ would disagree here.

UsMorrows (Sam & Frances) are the true Den Mother & Father of our geocaching family. It is they who formed the Southeast Texas Geocaching Family. GQ is more like our favorite Uncle. :laughing: Sam & Fran have throttled back due to some real life challenges and GQ has done more than any other to fill the void.

Gotta tell a little story about 9Key, GQ, UsMorrows, and a well known El Diablo hicking stick: (This is a Gift of the Magi kinda story. You may cry.)

A few years back the entire state of Texas backed 9Key in a popularity contest for best cache approver (back in the olden days we called 'em approvers) to win a coveted El Diablo hiking stick. Texas is a huge close knit caching community in no small part because of 9Key & Usmorrows (among others) efforts to bring Texas cachers together for the first Texas Challenge in 2003 and needless to say 9Key won the hiking stick.

Roll forword to Texas Challenge 2004 and 9Key gave up his prized El Diablo hiking stick to the silent auction to help PAY for the event to keep all the food and extras free to all.

Jason (GQ) shocked everyone when he bought the hiking stick for something like $150 which was 3 or more times the previous high bid. He liked the stick, but he wanted to help fund the event more.

Roll foreword to the launch of The Houston GeoCaching Society. (HGCS.org) GQ wanted to have a "Featured Cachers" area and to launch it properly he featured UsMorrows. Given UsMorrows great position in the local geocaching community he wanted to do something extra special, yet geocaching related, to mark the occasion. He gave up his prized El Diablo hiking stick and presented it to them. :)

It would be totally cool if it came back to him two-fold. :)

05a6ac91-758f-4ee2-9be2-445083719df4.jpg

Here's a better picture of UsMorrows with the stick.

UsMorrows featured cacher article.

Roll foreword to today and you'll find GQ workin' hard to get the 5th Texas Challenge organized. This one may be big enough to get Mega-Event status.

Edited by Snoogans

From Thot's perspective that is a true statement, but I think even GQ would disagree here.

UsMorrows (Sam & Frances) are the true Den Mother & Father of our geocaching family. It is they who formed the Southeast Texas Geocaching Family. GQ is more like our favorite Uncle. :laughing: Sam & Fran have throttled back due to some real life challenges and GQ has done more than any other to fill the void.

Perhaps I should have said:

"For the past three years GQ has done more to support and advance area geocaching than anyone else, bar none."

I've heard UsMorrows was a major figure early on, but they haven't been as active since I started caching.

Edited by Thot