Micros

QuirkySmog

Well after getting though our 1000th milestone of caches found we decided to 'payback' our fellow cachers.

So within a few weeks of the milestone we have set out no less then 15 caches.

Now heres the question.

Is the idea of setting micros a cheap and cheerfull way of setting caches?

Or is it frowned upon...?

I travel on most roads almost everyday,the path is well trodden so setting out micros on the roads i most travel on seems to me to be the right thing to do,easy maintanace etc ........Even if they are 35mm film cans....

Just thought....

I think we have got the 'placing bug'.

So micros..Good or bad?.....

Micros are ok IMO, have done some really good ones, even in areas where a normal sized cache could have been placed. I think it all depends on the setter and whether they've been placed just for the sake of placing one or whether they've been thought out. Anybody whose done one of Rodz's micros will know that some thought has gone into the placing of them, unlike some others who seem to have gone down the oo lets have a cache here for the sake of a cache here route and then fail to maintain them.

I don't care what type of cache it is as long as the owner maintains the cache. Nothing worse than going to a cache and finding it in disrepair, log wet, or log full with no place to sign. Yes, it's even worse than finding a cache muggled since that is usually beyond the owners control.

While my family prefers caches with tradeable items even though we usualy don't trade, we do enjoy the park and grab micros while traveling.

If you are going to do micros, just make sure you check them out and mix the hiding spots up. We did four today while traveling to my in-laws, but since each one was hidden differently, we still enjoyed each hunt.

Well after getting though our 1000th milestone of caches found we decided to 'payback' our fellow cachers.

Now heres the question.

I travel on most roads almost everyday,the path is well trodden so setting out micros on the roads i most travel on seems to me to be the right thing to do,easy maintanace etc ........Even if they are 35mm film cans....

Just thought....

Oh goody.... 15 more soggy log sheets, 15 more caches that disappoint the kids, 15 more caches to go on my ignore list.

How about "paying back" your fellow cachers with one or two quality traditional caches with boxes big enough to hold swaps instead.

I certainly don't travel on "most roads almost every day", my car just ain't that fast but the roads I do travel on regularly don't have anything to commend them anyway. I certainly wouldn't want to invite fellow cachers to "enjoy' them.

Quite honestly, wouldn't you rather get a few logs saying how much folk enjoyed finding your caches and how much the kids enjoyed swapping stuff? All you're going to get is the "Found it. 7 of 29 today" sort of thing. Great!

Each to his own. If you're dead set on placing micros, at least find some weather-proof containers. 35mm film pots just ain't up to the job.

[EDIT... oh look, all the smilies have fallen off.]

Edited by Pharisee
and there's few things more pointless that a micro in the woods with a less than helpful clue.

Or in the middle of a common, eh SP?

Horses for causes I say. I'd prefer a regular to a micro IF a regular could be placed BUT I like micros anyway. They have their uses and a well placed/thought about micro is as good as any.

I get the opinion that Hi Tek is a numbers man, from the post. Puzzles and Multi's are what makes a cache stand out with the 'extra' little bits.

Don't get me wrong, there are some puzzles that I just don't like: CODES! Enough of my time is taken up doing normal caches; let alone spending more hours on the computer solving these! To me, it's about getting out and about to cache not hours of research stuck in front of the computer.

Just my thoughts.

Oss!

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION

And that applies to Micros as well. It is easy to be careless or thoughtless about the final location - particularly if you only are considering a micro. Reverse the thought process: "What is the LARGEST cache container I can place around here?" "If I move a few metres one way or the other will it permit a good location for a larger container?"

I have just two micros: GCQW1T - The View and GCY2GG - RSPCA . At neither location is it physically possible for any other container to be used and RSPCA is very small indeed. However for both, the final location justified the micro.

There is a valid school of thought which says that "finding micros is a challenge in itself" - and bizarrely it may be fun. This line of reasoning places the final micro challenge on par with a puzzle cache, being the final physical extension of the idea. The Rodz series is a good example, but as someone said before, his final locations are well thought out.

Kids ( and my dear lady FewKinder ) like TREASURE. So decent sized well stocked tupperware keeps that group of punters on board, but they are not the only group.

I did have a little grumble in Perth that it all seemed to be micros when nice containers could equally well have been used, and down south the Thames Path is littered with micros when I am sure larger containers could be more appropriately used.

But in the end its each to their own. There is no single way to geocache - but do please always think:

Edited by kewfriend

We like micros if it's obvious some thought has gone into them and they are in a place that a small or regular would not fit.

Our favourite types are the really stealthy hides in very public places but dislike the micro in the woods type cache. We also don't like micros where it's obvious someone has just chucked the 35mm container in the first place they have seen, with little or no thought about making it fun for finders.

We've enjoyed your micros that we've done so far as they are a great way to boost numbers on a day out doing more lengthy caches. We liked the Stanney Woods one especially as the micro looked very at home in it's hide and could easily have been missed, even when a muggle looked right at it.

As has been noted above, if the cache is an easy find and a short (or no) walk then it's bound to get found a lot - it's just human nature.

Keep them coming and we'll keep coming to find them :)

We also don't like micros where it's obvious someone has just chucked the 35mm container in the first place they have seen, with little or no thought about making it fun for finders.

Speaking personally, I think that this type of cache has become more common because of the road related series. When councils approve new road junctions they are generally thinking about the need for access to the locality rather than suitable sites for caches.

Quite honestly, wouldn't you rather get a few logs saying how much folk enjoyed finding your caches and how much the kids enjoyed swapping stuff? All you're going to get is the "Found it. 7 of 29 today" sort of thing. Great!

And you evidence for this is?.... I can find you plenty of decent logs on micros and boring ones on regulars.

Anyhow, as long as they are worthy, well maintained, waterproof, not hidden where you could put a bigger cache, what have the Roman ever done for us?... oops I mean I will vote for...

GOOD

Oh goody.... 15 more soggy log sheets, 15 more caches that disappoint the kids
Micro logs are only soggy if the owner couldnt be bothered putting it inside a zip-lock bag. Now I do hate that. On the other hand my son is 7 and loves finding micros because they can be nice and quick compared to some larger caches. All the kids I've cached with like micros. Its usually the grown ups that dont.

How about "paying back" your fellow cachers with one or two quality traditional caches with boxes big enough to hold swaps instead.
No point around here - most of the larger caches are picked clean because so many people take but dont swap. And I've seen this in other parts of the country too.

wouldn't you rather get a few logs saying how much folk enjoyed finding your caches and how much the kids enjoyed swapping stuff? All you're going to get is the "Found it. 7 of 29 today" sort of thing. Great!
I've seen logs like that on micro caches.

What I dislike are cachers who clearly hate micros, do them anyway then winge about it in the log how much they hated doing it. If you dont like micros dont do them! However, having done a series in a very dense wood which turned out all to be micros, I agree that I dislike micros placed in an area where a larger cache would be perfect.

My penny's worth *plink* :)

I'm with the general feeling of this thread.

I've really enoyed some of the micros that i've done, especially around London and other Urban areas. These locations justify a micro otherwise our towns/cities would be a cache wasteland.

However, as has been stated already, when you go through a wood/parkland and there is a 35mm film stuffed into a tree branch or ivy then I do get a little disappointed. I'm not really into swaps but its still nice to pick through all the items.

The other thing is TBs. This is a major part of the game for many people (myself included) and the more micros that are placed the less locations TBs can travel through! (with a few exceptions... I placed THIS yesterday!)

And THIS :)

It's supposed to be geocaching not geosigning
The rules state that the only thing that is to be left in a cache container is a logbook. Swaps are left up to the cache owner. And you cant claim without 'geosigning' the log. The swaps were a later addition by early American cachers who felt they wanted to leave something for others. So strictly speaking and being a devil's advocate Micros's are in theory true caches.

I await my flaming :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Edited by Alice Band

General rule of thumb (my thumb that is) is that rural micros cheapskate!

Why place a film canister where an ammo box or similar can be hidden?

Micros should only be used where a larger container can't be hidden.

i.e. urban locations where the hide should be clever to at least give some sense of satisfaction in finding it.

Like previous posters I agree that micro's thrown in hedges show little or no imagination.

As part of a well constructed multi I have no worries about them.

Kids hate 'em and this for many (no not all, I agree) is supposed to be a family pastime, I hate having to bribe them to find micro's [:)]

Cheers

Dave

There is no definitive answer to the micro good or bad question. Some are good some are bad the same as with traditional caches. That well-used getout clause "Everyone Caches By their Own Rules" means that if you enjoy setting them then continue with what you are doing as there are lots of cachers who love finding them. Personally I enjoy a well thought out micro and I think there are some excellent ones around but unfortunately, in my opinion, this doesn't include the road series which in general have very little merit unless you want to boost your numbers (there are of course exceptions). I also think that some of them can be dangerous for parking - reading the logs is evidence of that - and I'm convinced they must be a distraction for other drivers when they see cachers searching around barriers and motorway roundabouts. But hey - that's just me. :)

I think we have raised this subject before, but a 'small' or 'medium' cache could set one back say a fiver inc. contents (ammo tins and contents even more). Some prolific cache-setters have laid over 100 caches, so x £5 would be a lot of money!

Rather find a micro than have nothing to look for at all, so I am grateful and would never complain... unless I couldn't find it of course :rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Jon

It states on the Cache page if its a micro or not , so the choise is left up to the Cacher to do it or not.

Even in rural areas there is sometimes a crevis or hole in a tree crying out for a micro. Although i have only used these as part of a multi leading to a final cache with swops in it.

I think a micro does need more thought than other caches as i do get pleasure from a cache contents, we all play the game, sport, past time in different ways for differeny reasons.

Im just glad to be part of it :) .

I have to strongly disagree with The Mars Bars rule of thumb. :)

Surely a 35mm hidden in the woods is harder to find than a larger cache.Iv'e found a few well hidden micros,that are not urban.It's not just how easy it is to find after all. And its not just 4 the kids either.

If you give them one of your Mars Bars afterwards then they'll soon forget any (if any) dissappointment. :rolleyes:

Now heres the question.

Just thought....

I always say that you should place the biggest cache you possibly can. Sometimes that might be a micro or even a nano so if thats the case then fair enough.

There seems to be an unwritten law of cache placement that the hiding places you find are inversely proportional to the size of the containers you have with you! A lot of mine are smalls and I have found huge holes for them so I want to upgrade them to ammo boxes.

Kids hate 'em and this for many (no not all, I agree) is supposed to be a family pastime, I hate having to bribe them to find micro's [:)]

I have to do the same. :rolleyes:. back to the question in hand though. Micro's good or bad?

Well in my opinion and I'm sure this has been said many times before.

Micro's are fine and if people don't like them, then they don't have to look for them do they? :rolleyes:

Bad, bad, bad. We hate 'em.

Great for intermediate stages of a multi but that's about it.

In my opinion, most micro's are placed by lazy cheapskates as an easy option 'just because I can' - though I admit that there are one or two exceptions eg this one and this one.

Slightly OT - I got a snotty email recently from a cache owner who got upset at me saying what I think of micro's in the log, so now I have resorted to 'found it' as a log entry on the few that we do find.

BC

Probably most of our most interesting caching experiences have been for micros .

They have often been multis or puzzles .

We have never sought or found a micro hidden under a dog "refuse"bin so haven't been prejudiced against them yet.

Some of our most trying searches have been for ammo cans hidden under leaf litter under spreading hollies so we don't think big size is preferable to small for good caching experience .

4 of our last 5 finds have been micros and all were interesting experiences .

Edited by t.a.folk

In my opinion, most micro's are placed by lazy cheapskates as an easy option 'just because I can'

I don't really have to quote the full statement about Opinions and a'holes do i? as it seems it's rather apt in this case when directed at you.

Slightly OT - I got a snotty email recently from a cache owner who got upset at me saying what I think of micro's in the log, so now I have resorted to 'found it' as a log entry on the few that we do find.

BC

Jeez, some people are just so far up themselves it's unbelievable, from where i'm sitting it seems you're the snotty one and not him. Simple rule of thumb, if micros aren't your "kind of" cache, don't bother going for them. No need whatsoever to be disparaging or demeaning to either the cache or the cache setter.

Edited to add - I meant to sign off as Lazy cheapskate as i have placed in the past a micro just because i could.

Edited by bhodisatva

And THIS :ph34r:

It's supposed to be geocaching not geosigning
The rules state that the only thing that is to be left in a cache container is a logbook. Swaps are left up to the cache owner. And you cant claim without 'geosigning' the log. The swaps were a later addition by early American cachers who felt they wanted to leave something for others. So strictly speaking and being a devil's advocate Micros's are in theory true caches.

I await my flaming :lol:

:rolleyes:

Sorry Marika :) but your wrong there. The very first cache was placed by David Ulmer, it was a large bucket that was buried :rolleyes: and amongst the contents included a can of beans :anicute: , as well as a log book. The rule's he stated on finding it was that you signed the log book, and took something-left something.

:ph34r:

And a reminder before things go any further. No personal attacks.

It looks like most of the people posting on this thread feel strongly one way or the other.

To be honest, I really don't care what size a cache is, and I find it hard to understand why anyone could get so het up about it. If you are one of the folks who get worked up about it, just be thankful that you have so few problems in life that you can get worked up about something so petty.

There are enough caches around these days that you can pick or choose which caches you go for. There really is no excuse for going to find a micro, then whining that you don't like them afterwards!

T

Edited by Pengy&Tigger
Sorry Marika :) but your wrong there.
Woohoo! I got flamed!! :ph34r::rolleyes::rolleyes: Actually, I based that comment on what has been written in the FAQ guide and what has been said in the American forums in threads about 'leaving swaps in caches' :anicute: Hasnt a cacher found the remains of the bean tin from the original cache and turned it into a TB for events?

Just for the record I like micros, and so does my 7 year old son. :lol:

Spoken like a good Lutheran Troskyist!!
Having endured studied Trotsky at University I actually think he would have liked caching. Stalin probably would have arrested everyone for even thinking about a cache :ph34r::lol:

I'm with Pengy and Tigger on this one...

I used to hate Micros, but that was when I was still relatively new to caching and still got all excited about swaps!

However, swapsies are great for kids, but even so - most people trade down, leaving nothing but tosh or the dreaded McToy.

I'd much rather get a nice micro that a soggy cache full of tat anyday!

Anyway - Great Defenders... Loved what I've done so far on your new series and agree that on all that I've done, the micros are cool. Even Stanney Woods, where a huuuuuge cache could prolly been placed, the hide itself on the micro is nice!!

Whatever the size... make sure they are well maintained, with plenty of space on the log books and most of all dry, and we'll keep on hunting them down!

H

Edited by HazelS

To be honest, I really don't care what size a cache is, and I find it hard to understand why anyone could get so het up about it. If you are one of the folks who get worked up about it, just be thankful that you have so few problems in life that you can get worked up about something so petty.

There are enough caches around these days that you can pick or choose which caches you go for. There really is no excuse for going to find a micro, then whining that you don't like them afterwards!

T

As above. :P

And I don't subscribe to the belief that discouraging the placing of micros in an area is bound to lead to an increase in regular caches, although I agree that it will probably keep the number of caches down (if that's what you want).

And...why do people claim that it's the location that counts, and then get distraught because the box is rather small?

And......this has been discussed endlessly elsewhere! ;)

HH

If placed anywhere near where a regular (or even small) could be hidden then they are a pain in the Harris. Urban ones I can understand, rural ones? GRRRRRRRR :P:P;)

Mind you, re my above comment, I may have been in a slightly more benevolent frame of mind if I hadn't just 1, cut my hands to ribbons, 2, gone flying and landed on an already injured back and 3, am now suffering the mother of all colds after spending half a day's caching in the rain ... all for micros. Ask me next week when I'm fully recovered and I may give a more positive answer :P , then again........... :P

And that applies to Micros as well. It is easy to be careless or thoughtless about the final location - particularly if you only are considering a micro. Reverse the thought process: "What is the LARGEST cache container I can place around here?" "If I move a few metres one way or the other will it permit a good location for a larger container?"

I have just two micros: GCQW1T - The View and GCY2GG - RSPCA . At neither location is it physically possible for any other container to be used and RSPCA is very small indeed. However for both, the final location justified the micro.

There is a valid school of thought which says that "finding micros is a challenge in itself" - and bizarrely it may be fun. This line of reasoning places the final micro challenge on par with a puzzle cache, being the final physical extension of the idea. The Rodz series is a good example, but as someone said before, his final locations are well thought out.

Kids ( and my dear lady FewKinder ) like TREASURE. So decent sized well stocked tupperware keeps that group of punters on board, but they are not the only group.

I did have a little grumble in Perth that it all seemed to be micros when nice containers could equally well have been used, and down south the Thames Path is littered with micros when I am sure larger containers could be more appropriately used.

But in the end its each to their own. There is no single way to geocache - but do please always think:

I bow to your superior cache placing skills

Bad, bad, bad. We hate 'em.

Great for intermediate stages of a multi but that's about it.

In my opinion, most micro's are placed by lazy cheapskates as an easy option 'just because I can' - though I admit that there are one or two exceptions eg this one and this one.

BC

I think carrots are bad,bad bad..Guess what? I don't go out looking for them. :P

If you found a micro then logged how much you hate them,I'd laugh.Then I'd delete your log.

As said in Dad's Army..."Stupid Boy"

Neither good nor bad, they serve a purpose. If cleverly disguised they can be in plain view where hundreds of people pass them every day.

As a cheapskate who has placed lots of micro's recently I could take exception to the cheapskate comment however I won't. They may be micro's but I have invested a lot of time and effort in the construction of them. I have placed a fair few "regular" sized containers with a good assortment of goodies for the older and younger cachers in them. Not everyone trades down, however it would seem a lot do as I soon end up with a box full of rubbish.

As for damp log books and other contents, well if the finder kept them dry while signing in the rain and put the lid back on properly then we may have less problems. This is an issue for caches of any size (note to self, take an umbrella).

Micro caches do seem quite popular though, some have only been out a few months and have around fifty visits. They are not in the main roadside caches and some do involve walking a fair distance on muddy tracks.

Just our observations about wet micro log books /rolls .

Seems to us their are two sorts of film cannister lids .

Some have lids where the rim of lid fits around the outside of the pot and others have lids that fit inside the main pot .

Seems to us the latter more often have wet inside than the former .

When I remember, I smear the rim of a micro lightly with vaseline in the fond belief that it helps to make a waterproof seal - but it must be used sparingly or it will get on the log sheet and make it difficult to write on especially the type where the lid is within the rim.

As for the original theme of this thread for me its horses for courses - micros are OK if the location is of interest. And although in theory I don't like some of the MM hides [like the one in Cheshire where a film can has been dropped among the rest of the litter behind a stone on the outside of a roundabout], I still look for them in passing! Nothing like a bit of inconsistancy - or could I call it variety?