Metroguide v4 vs CN v8

Grumpy_one

I would like some of your opinions on this subject. Worth the money for CN? I've seen Metroguide used on a gpsr, but not CN so I don't know what I would be missing out on. I always say you don't miss what you never had. I do want autorouting. My wife and I have had the biggest fights in the car because of her inability to read a map. So I end up reading the map and driving. I know, I know, let her drive. Her driving isn't any better than her ability to read a map. Thanks :laughing:

I would like some of your opinions on this subject. Worth the money for CN? I've seen Metroguide used on a gpsr, but not CN so I don't know what I would be missing out on. I always say you don't miss what you never had. I do want autorouting. My wife and I have had the biggest fights in the car because of her inability to read a map. So I end up reading the map and driving. I know, I know, let her drive. Her driving isn't any better than her ability to read a map. Thanks :laughing:

I don't know what area you are looking for, but here in Europe the price difference is considerable. Keeping in mind that you can get MG to do autorouting using 3rd party software and that CN and MG have the same mapset I see no reason to spend the extra money.

When you buy something like the most current software, right now being CN v8, do you get free updates as long as you own the software? That would be one advantage of spending the extra $, but I don't depend on the gpsr for anything but fun and convenience when tooling around town and marking hunting and fishing spots. So it wouldn't be justified for me. But was curious as far as updates. Thanks

On the free updates you might be thinking of updates to the Mapsource program itself. Don't mistaken that with the maps (CN, Metroguide, Topos, etc). Mapsource is the program by which you are able to view the maps and upload them to the gps. You don't get free updates to the maps. The cost of Garmin keeping the maps up to date is extreme so they would have to charge something for you to get the updates.

Joe