60CSx handlebar mount

Fan4

Anyone used this mount on a mountain bike?

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10454%2D00

Can you tell me if the top "o"-shaped piece is soft rubber (i.e. wraps around the antenna)? How securely does it hold the unit?

Thanks!

I have one of those mounts. That top "o" shaped piece is where the belt-clip-stud goes through (the stud is shown separately in the picture). Its very secure.

The knob that's shown screws into the back threaded hole of the GPS. You put the knob into the top hole on the plastic handlebar mount. Then clip in the bottom.

The mount may be acceptable if road riding on smooth roads. For mountain biking, all my friends have had it fail on rough terrain and the inevitable accidents when mountain biking. The GPS flys off and the GPSMAP60 series is especially prone to having it's protruding antennae and buttons break. It's happened several times for me and my friends in just a few months of riding.

I've seen some mountain bikers use tie wraps around the bottom of the 60CSx to help make sure the GPS stays on. Others jury rig a mount on the handlebar stem where it's more protected. But even if the mount is secure, the battery bounce (power off from vibration) has been a problem for some with the 60CSx. One friend just returned the 60CSx and instead got the eTrex VistaCx, which is much more rugged (no antenna to snap off and buttons to break, no battery bounce). He had major problems with the ruggedness of the 60CSx, but zero problems with the VistaCx. Only a rare drop out in signal because of the weaker receiver in the VistaCx.

I personally just use my old B&W eTrex Vista on the bars - many crashes over three years and keeps on ticking. The VistaCx has the same software and screen pixels as the 60CSx, lower price, and more compact - only issue is lack of the superior SiRFIII receiver in the 60CSx. So for recording accurate tracks in poor reception (usually thick woods on steep north facing hills), I carry a second 60CSx carefully wrapped in my camelbak pack. But even in the pack I snapped off two buttons in a crash the first week I owned it. I now wrap it more carefully. Fortunately, Garmin has a very good customer service - they fixed it free even though I said it was my fault from a crash.

Edited by BigLarry

Can you tell me if the top "o"-shaped piece is soft rubber (i.e. wraps around the antenna)? How securely does it hold the unit?

Thanks!

I have the mount on a mountain bike. The entire mount is hard plastic. My 60Cx fits nicely in the mount, however I tie the 60Cx lanyard to a brake cable. If you go down, or if you are doing some gnarly dirt trails..or non trails, the 60Cx CAN pop out of the mount. Attaching the lanyard to a brake cable ensures that the GPS will not go flying off the bike.

I like having the 60Cx mounted on the bike, and I am pleased with the mount.

Edited by Barrikady

Thanks!

By far the best mount for all kinds of bikes is this one: Touratech Mount for Garmin 60C series.

It's a little bit pricy, but compared to a broken receiver... I am using it for more than a year now on my mountain bike (mostly on very heavy trails) and never had any issues with it.

Check their shop (TouraTech Shop)- they have all kinds of high quality GPS accessories.