Caution when updating waypoints on GPS/Cachemate

alnpd

Just a note to help others avoid what happened to me today. After a frustratiing day of caching (4 for 7) I cam home only to discover that 2 of my DNFs had been archived. For almost a year I had been building up my waypoints using pocket queries. Little did I know that by doing this archived caches remained on both my GPS (Garmin 60cs) and on my Cachemate database (Treo 650). I went to an area with several caches and took for granted that the data on my GPS & PDA was accurate. It seems that when a pocket query is loaded to either device it doesn't sync, it only adds missing waypoints. Therefore archived caches remain on both. So I looked, looked and looked again for a two caches that I didn't find for very good reasons!

Boy do I feel STUPID!!!!!

:ph34r::laughing::anicute:

I found that to be problem also, and I only use cachemate to load my Palm. After doing the same thing you did, I just load the caches I am after that day and delete the files after I get through. I just start over on the next days hunt and download what I want, saving all the unfound caches in a folder.

Not a great way but it works for me.

I always delete all geocaches and found geocaches in the GPSr before loading a PQ, unless I'm certain there is no overlap. In Cachemate I either delete all waypoints or select an empty db. I also start with a fresh db in GSAK, even though GSAK will update caches with more recent info. GSAK rocks.

On a weekly basis I run my PQ for local area. Then I delete all waypoints in the GPSr and records in Cachemate. Then generate new files and upload them to the gadget. Helps make sure I have the latest data on both.

This does mean I have to reload my benchmarks however, but with the speed of the USB, it doesn't take long.

I usually verify any caches I am going to search for a day or so before the actual hunt....

After spending some hours thrashing around in a bog, I came home to find the cache archived... Never again will hunt with out previous verification...

Dale

I usually do that too but after I finished the ones I intended on doing I couldn't resist the caches I was so close to, or so I tthought. Lesson learned!

I also use a 650.

I run weekly PQs that are loaded into GSAK. I then run a macro that deletes any caches where the GPX is not updated in the last 7 days.

I export these files to cachemate files and, then, before loading them in my 650 on the SD card (they're over 60 MB) I erase the database in cachemate.

That way, the information is just about as fresh as an offline DB can have them.

I also use a 650.

I run weekly PQs that are loaded into GSAK. I then run a macro that deletes any caches where the GPX is not updated in the last 7 days.

I export these files to cachemate files and, then, before loading them in my 650 on the SD card (they're over 60 MB) I erase the database in cachemate.

That way, the information is just about as fresh as an offline DB can have them.

Good system, does GSAK have a stable MAC version? I tried GSAK a while back and could not get it to work. Definitely a thought. Thanks for the input.

Good system, does GSAK have a stable MAC version? I tried GSAK a while back and could not get it to work. Definitely a thought. Thanks for the input.

Right now GSAK is only available on computers and with the level of support he offers, I don't believe he has plans right now for anything else. I know there has been many requests to go to another OS, like LINUX, however with tools like WINE available I don't think that is happening anytime soon either.

You can check the forums here to see what is planned.