60CSx Nearest distance

ThePropers

Ok, I'm an idiot and just spent 1/2 hour wondering why when I loaded my pocket query (for the other side of the state), none of them were showing up under waypoints.

Apparently there is some kindof "drop off" distance for the nearest caches, which of course is my default setup, so it was just showing "none found" when I pulled up my waypoints. I mistakenly thought the transfer suddenly wasn't working....even the Menu->Select symbol wouldn't show any.

I finally figured out that if I went to "find by name" they'd show up. I almost panicked there thinking I broke something right before my 12 day Thanksgiving vacation but they're in the unit...just not showing up in my list of caches unless I find them by name.

Anyone know what the distance is before caches just don't show up in the "nearest" caches? My guess is 100 miles...

Ok, I'm an idiot and just spent 1/2 hour wondering why when I loaded my pocket query (for the other side of the state), none of them were showing up under waypoints.

Apparently there is some kindof "drop off" distance for the nearest caches, which of course is my default setup, so it was just showing "none found" when I pulled up my waypoints. I mistakenly thought the transfer suddenly wasn't working....even the Menu->Select symbol wouldn't show any.

I finally figured out that if I went to "find by name" they'd show up. I almost panicked there thinking I broke something right before my 12 day Thanksgiving vacation but they're in the unit...just not showing up in my list of caches unless I find them by name.

Anyone know what the distance is before caches just don't show up in the "nearest" caches? My guess is 100 miles...

I believe it's not mileage dependent but instead it will show the first 50 nearest to your base point. When you use find by name you would see all your waypoints up to 1000 max.

I believe it's not mileage dependent but instead it will show the first 50 nearest to your base point. When you use find by name you would see all your waypoints up to 1000 max.

Nope, there's definitely a cutoff somewhere, since my Nearest list says "None Found" even though there is 1000 waypoints in there. Like I said, they show up if I do a find-by-name, but not nearest.

If I change the reference point to somewhere closer to the group of caches it does work though. According to GSAK, the closest cache in the .gpx file I loaded is 121.49 miles away from where I'm at now, so I'm guessing the cutoff is at 99.99 miles. Just a guess though.

Edited by ThePropers

Nope, there's definitely a cutoff somewhere, since my Nearest list says "None Found" even though there is 1000 waypoints in there. Like I said, they show up if I do a find-by-name, but not nearest.

I don't know what the exact distance is, but once when I returned to Minneapolis from Nevada I loaded my local PQ. After the transfer the unit showed no geocaches! :anicute: I did a complete hard reset before I realized the unit still thought it was in Nevada--I hadn't powered it up outdoors since my return. :ph34r:

So, while I can't answer your question exactly, at least you can be glad you weren't me--trudging through every icon in Setup trying to reconfigure the unit. :laughing: