Unique areas

Two of these (Wild & Urban) are my top favorites for many reasons; the other two are ones I placed while looking for the most out of the way yet accessible locations here... awesome places in my own back yard. All four are in places I'd never have ventured without geocaching to lead me out there.

Wild - Lake Mead Cache #1: Anniversary Mine (Nevada) GCCA5F - Leave Las Vegas behind and explore mining country and a hidden desert slot canyon that leads you beyond federal lands... - the kind of place Basilisk loves to cache - no motorhomes, no pavement, no services... just you and the desert;

Urban - View Carre' (New Orleans) GCE02C - cannot believe this intro to the Big Easy... a tour de force by Bamboozle. My kids still talk about it...;

City Park - Serenity View (Anchorage AK) GCNGKC - A million-dollar view of Alaska complete with eagles, mountains, moose, bear, whales, water, sunsets... so quiet that you can hear the wind and wildlife and nothing else - all just a couple of hundred yards from pavement in the big city, and just fifteen minutes from my home;

Federal Park - Tram at Winner Creek Gorge (Girdwood AK) GCWARK - The US Forest Service has improved access along the old Iditarod Trail where it climbs towards the pass behind the Alyeska Prince Resort. The trail includes a hair-raising ride across a rocky creek gorge in a hand-powered tram... an experience that'll take your breath away, in Alaska's northernmost pocket of coastal Sitka Spruce rainforest, just a 45 minute drive south of Anchorage.

Like Snoogans, I'll put up one of my own caches: Terrace Pond North. Bearfort Ridge is a mountain about twenty miles long and two miles wide, made of purple puddingstone. It's an old sand dune, colored with manganese, with white quartz inclusions. I've never seen anything quite like it anywhere else.

I have to agree with my filppered friend. His TPN cache is an excellent one and Bearfort Ridge is a scenic and geological marvel.

Another one that comes to mind is Edisons Dark Rock. In the late 1800s, Thomas Edison build a huge iron mining and manufacturing complex in the highlands of NJ. He lost millions and closed the operation by 1900. The ruins of this complex still exist, overtaken by forest. There are still foundations and mines, including a narrow shaft about 3 feet in diameter that goes about 100 feet into the side of a hill. The Dark Rock cache is deep inside this mine shaft.

I never knew this place existed even though it's only 10 miles from my house as the clam flies. It has it all, history, scenery and a challenging cache find for those of use who are claustrophoboic.

Urban - View Carre' (New Orleans) GCE02C - cannot believe this intro to the Big Easy... a tour de force by Bamboozle. My kids still talk about it...;

Why that didn't come to mind first I'll never know. I don't know how many times I have posted that cache as one of the most unique cachin' experiences I've ever had. I was there pre-Katrina. I've been meaning to go back with The Snoogstress and compare my pictures and camcorder footage.

The word of mouth on that cache is huge in Texas. It is on sooo many profiles as a favorite. :laughing: