Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeepstr

Ham Question

If your asking which is the better band? I'd have to say 2 meters. As I don't have 40 mtrs priveleges yet.

But on the off chance your asking what is the best antenna wave length? Well it would have to 5/8 wave in my book.

Chris / KA7CJH

Edited by KA7CJH

What is the best wave length? 2m or 40m

Depends who you wish to communicate with. Two meters or 144 MHz is good for consistant communication locally. The distance can be increased by going through a repeater. For point to point communiction a yagi antenna pointed towards the other station will work best. Now 40 meters or 7 MHz is different. Most of the communications will be via the sky wave. A half wave antenna on 40 is about 60 feet long. This can be a wire antenna strung between two trees or other structures. 40 meters is a good evening band where you can work thousands of miles. During the day it will work up to a few hundred miles. You need to get an good antenna book from ARRL. Good luck and 73 Dick, W7WT

I think the OP might be talking about the difference between 2 meter and 440mhz. But maybe I'm wrong on that. :laughing:

I think you are correct. That would make more sense. In that case if you are using repeaters it wouldn't make much difference. Most VHF and UHF radios now include both bands. Dick, W7WT