Ridiculously Silly Question on Mapping for GPS

Bamboogirl

Ok, please forgive the pathetic noob who just could not STAND to come home from REI without a GPS topo program. I bought the DeLorme 6.0. But after scanning through a mess of the posts, I fear that I have a very pretty paperweight that will not work with my Garmin 60CSx.

So before I tear open the box and get stuck with it, can someone tell me if it really does or does not work with my GPS? We're headed up to Seattle this weekend and hoping to run/hike/slog through Whidbey Island. Would be nice to have the topo option up and running. thanks!

It shold work WITH your unit but not ON it. Meaning that you can probably create waypoints, routes, etc... on Delorme and load them to your GPS, or you can dowload waypoints, tracks and routes from your GPS to Delorme.

What you can't do is run the Delorme maps on your unit. You need Garmin's Mapsource Topo to do that.

There is an exception. There is a way to get your Delorme maps on the unit, but it requires a fairly sophsicitated level of technical ability. And once you get it on your unit there is no guarantee it will work properly and may void the warranty.

It shold work WITH your unit but not ON it. Meaning that you can probably create waypoints, routes, etc... on Delorme and load them to your GPS, or you can dowload waypoints, tracks and routes from your GPS to Delorme.

All of the above is correct. I have a GPS60 and Topo 6.0, and can move data between the PC and my GPSr and Palm (I have Street Atlas Handheld as well). It will also allow you to track your position on the topo map, assuming you have it loaded on a laptop (or your are willing to schlep your desktop around).

It should work WITH your unit but not ON it. Meaning that you can probably create waypoints, routes, etc... on Delorme and load them to your GPS, or you can dowload waypoints, tracks and routes from your GPS to Delorme

All of the above is correct. I have a GPS60 and Topo 6.0, and can move data between the PC and my GPSr and Palm (I have Street Atlas Handheld as well). It will also allow you to track your position on the topo map, assuming you have it loaded on a laptop (or your are willing to schlep your desktop around).

Even though I have Street Atlas 2005 I can move files back and forth between my Vista Cx and SA 2005.

I calculate a route in SA 2005 and export to Vista CX. Still using the basemap. Same file can be send to Mapsource from the Cx. Here is a procedure that probably will work on other units:Using Garmin USB GPS with Street Atlas 2005

The update for advanced file management for SA 2005 can be found at:

Update for Advanced File Management Street Atlas USA 2005