Why do people defend CCCooperAgency?

ArtieD

In another thread I posted proof that CCCooperAgency cheats at geocaching...then I got pounced on by her most ardent defenders even after posting proof...

She logs multiple "finds" on a single cache and "finds" caches placed by her daughter (she places them herself, no doubt...no 9-year-old has the verbal command this one does)...

Why is that? She cheats and is not a good model for caching yet people idolize her...why?

I get pounced upon by cachers like TheAlabamaRambler who defend her to the end...

Why defend a person who cheats to gain numbers?

1) We don't have perfect track records ourselves. Can you spot the caches I logged but helped place.

2) Early on CCCooper was a team now it's just her.

3) She's nice if you have had occastion to email or meet her.

This cacher does a few less than popular things.

One day while traveling I came across a trade he did. He had dropped his compass on the ground and broke it. The fluid leaked out and he traded it for a new compass in a cache. Then he wrote about the trade. I traded for the broken compass and learned that he was going to an event. I wore the compass like a medallion to the event just to make a point.

A friend of mine asked me about it, got the story, said yeah I know what you mean but why don’t you put that in your pocket and wait and see. So I did. He showed up and brought Dutch oven desert, made a point to say hello, knew me from my logs and was happy to see me. Turns out this guy would give you the shirt off his back. If I called tomorrow and said “I’ll be in town” he would invite me to his place to stay, take a day and go caching with me even though he’s found everything in his area.

Putting that compass in my pocket was the smartest thing I did all day. I discretely dropped it in the trash when nobody was looking. The only SOB in the story was me. My friend was right, and this cacher is ok. You just have to know the guy to understand why. He still does annoying things like sweep up all the travel bugs in the area to put in his hotel, but now I know why and knowing makes all the difference. Geocaching and us cachers have become an important part of his life. He’s trying his best to do the right thing.

That’s why people defend CCCooper. Yes you can find some apparent warts if you look. It doesn’t matter once you know the rest of the story.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I think it's a legit question...I was pounced upon for pointing out that her "finds" can be questionable...

I don't see the point in "calling anyone out".

Do a search about all the threads where people log events multiple times to count the temp or pocket caches they find there. It isn't an issue TPTB feel a need to monitor, and it doesn't really affect your game.

So, I won't chatise you for bringing it up, but it really serves no purpose.

I think it's a legit question...I was pounced upon for pointing out that her "finds" can be questionable...

You've been here almost a year and you don't know any better than to personally attack someone? :huh:

Post your reply quick...because odds are you are about to get a vacation from here.

El Diablo

You've been here almost a year and you don't know any better than to personally attack someone? :huh:

Post your reply quick...because odds are you are about to get a vacation from here.

El Diablo

I fail to see the attack...the evidence is there...

I am not sure what the deal is here...

Many geocachers have multiple finds on a geocache --

1) this may have been the way the geocache was set up to allow multiple logging

2) the cache was logged more than one by permission of the cache owner

And as far as finding caches placed by her daughter -- Which ONE? The daughter who was a prolific geocacher for a time is in her twenties and could place caches without assistance.

I am not sure why you assume she or anyone else who does this is "cheating".

The only time you could "cheat" at this game is to log caches online that you have not actually found. Other than that, everyone plays according to their own guidelines. Numbers mean nothing except to the geocacher they belong to!

In another thread I posted proof that CCCooperAgency cheats at geocaching...then I got pounced on by her most ardent defenders even after posting proof...

She logs multiple "finds" on a single cache and "finds" caches placed by her daughter (she places them herself, no doubt...no 9-year-old has the verbal command this one does)...

Why is that? She cheats and is not a good model for caching yet people idolize her...why?

I get pounced upon by cachers like TheAlabamaRambler who defend her to the end...

Why defend a person who cheats to gain numbers?

It's the definition of "cheating". To you and I, it may mean posting a found log to a cache or event more than once, actually finding the cache not somebody bringing the log to an event, etc.

While I am not commenting on CCC, I do know we have cachers in an area not to far from mine where dozens, if not hundreds of temporary caches are logged at events. It bothers some, others ignore it. We have just come to accept it happens.

The common mantra is "to each his own". Unless numbers are a big thing to an individual, it may be frustrating but doen's affect you so the general wisdom is to ignore it and play the game your way..

Edited by baloo&bd

In before lock,

and yes,

I jumped on you for sending me this:

--This message was sent through http://www.geocaching.com --

Yeah...go on and read my proof...it's sad you have such a hardon for CCC that you cannot see facts for facts. Apparently this blind defense is just a symptom of a greater issue with you...you know...losing your job with Groundspeak over violating the very rules you're supposed to enforce? So how's those fake record runs going? LOL...pathetic.

User's Profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=69...bc-9fd88d9f31c3

That deserves to be jumped on!

Ed

In before lock,

and yes,

Yeah...go on and read my proof...it's sad you have such a hardon for CCC that you cannot see facts for facts. Apparently this blind defense is just a symptom of a greater issue with you...you know...losing your job with Groundspeak over violating the very rules you're supposed to enforce? So how's those fake record runs going? LOL...pathetic.

User's Profile:

Ed

I see...posting private email in defense of youself...so mature for an old man... :huh:

BTW...that was sent AFTER your post...so please explain yourself.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

In before lock,

and yes,

User's Profile:

Ed

I see...posting private email in defense of youself...so mature for an old man... :huh:

Wow! Two personal attacks in one thread....you are going to be gone awhile. :(

El Diablo

I just don't see how anyone can come in here and say bad things about a person that they have never met and probably have never had any correspondance with. It's just plain rude to judge someone without knowing all the facts. For me to participate would just be plain malicious gossip. Take it elsewhere.

It's better to debate a specific instance or to bring up the question in a generic sence.

"Can you log a cache in two places at once?"

Debating is more fun when it's not personal.

This instance then...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...t&p=2577159

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

I just don't see how anyone can come in here and say bad things about a person that they have never met and probably have never had any correspondance with. It's just plain rude to judge someone without knowing all the facts. For me to participate would just be plain malicious gossip. Take it elsewhere.

Here's the facts...

In before lock,

and yes,

User's Profile:

Ed

El Diablo

So you think it is okay to post private email to the forum???

Here's the facts...

"There are more things in heaven and earth, 'Arthur & Trillian', than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

:huh:

I see...posting private email in defense of youself...so mature for an old man...

You left out tired, fat, crippled, opinionated and willfull.

ANY communication you put on the Internet is public. Choose your words carefully if you don't want to see them published.

Are you a CB Radio user?

The internet and CB are the only two places where anonymity is assured and you can say things that you would never have the guts to say in person.

Ed

Aside from the fact that I know Lynn personally and know what a nice and caring person she is, (also completely undeserving of a thread like this directed at her) I would and have defended the right of anyone here to play the game in a way that pleases them as long as it doesn't adversely affect me or detract from another person's efforts to participate within posted guidelines.

In before lock,

and yes,

User's Profile:

Ed

El Diablo

So you think it is okay to post private email to the forum???

Email isn't private. You should be very careful of what you say in these forums or in email. Sending email through GC.com like that can get you bounced right out of this game.

El Diablo

El Diablo

I see...posting private email in defense of youself...so mature for an old man...

You left out tired, fat, crippled, opinionated and willfull.

ANY communication you put on the Internet is public. Choose your words carefully if you don't want to see them published.

Are you a CB Radio user?

The internet and CB are the only two places where anonymity is assured and you can say things that you would never have the guts to say in person.

Ed

Funny. Point being, you got slammed with proof that CCC is nothing but a cheater and you didn't like it.

Ok, that was just funny. Sad it was archived by Dot Plotter since they should have just deleted the debate (or asked the owner too). I agree that forums are the location for a debate, not a cache. Not sure why you would lock the cache over it uniless the owner was involved.

Overall I need more info.

However this is what I can see.

She logged with the owners permission (apparent but needs to be verified) . Alas while I agree that one cache = 1 find and wish this site would just limit your find logs to 1 per cache. It's still the owners option to allow more than one find on a cache. So long as the owner said "ok" it's a done deal.

As was pointed out. The same thing happens on events with much debate.

What is your problem with CCCA anyway? Did they/she offend you in some manner? Something so bad that you feel the need to attack them over and over?

I've never met her, and realistically, probably never will, but I just don't see what use this serves.

Unless you've been appointed the Cache Police Officer in Charge of Number Monitoring, you might be better served if you found something else to do.

Here's the facts...

I'm sure you know that in the NFL, second offender often gets the 15 yard penalty. To be fair, two or none should be taking a vacation based on the two threads. :huh: (Posting private e-mail on a public forum is worse than an "Unsportsmanship like conduct", IMHO)

People defend CCCooperAgency because they are her friends. To me, it's that simple. You can always disagree with her actions, though, without getting personal. :(

Aside from the fact that I know Lynn personally and know what a nice and caring person she is, (also completely undeserving of a thread like this directed at her) I would and have defended the right of anyone here to play the game in a way that pleases them as long as it doesn't adversely affect me or detract from another person's efforts to participate within posted guidelines.

I'm sure she is very nice...doesn't mean she doesn't cheat with the best of them.

In before lock...

I have a question for you...

How does someone posting finds (whether true, false, total fabrications, actual finds, erasing DNFs) negatively affect you as a bystanding cacher?

If it's your cache, fine - delete the logs. But otherwise, isn't it a matter of personal ethics on how someone logs?

After all - my dog has an account. I log for her (she has a hard time hitting the space bar with no thumbs). Do those logs negatively impact your caching experience?

Worry less about others - and have fun finding caches.

edited for grammar

Edited by Markwell

It all depends on your definition of cheating. I don't care too much about how people choose to count up their smileys. Along with that, I don't care if someone has thousands of them any more....I don't know if that means they found 1000s of caches, or if they adjusted it to log 1000s of smileys.

Doesn't matter to me how they have 1000s of smileys, but it's no source of admiration from me.

In before lock...

I have a question for you...

How does someone posting finds (whether true, false, total fabrications, actual find, erasing DNFs) negatively affect you as a bystanding cacher?

If it's your cache, fine - delete the logs. But otherwise, isn't it a matter of personal ethics on how someone logs?

After all - my dog has an account. I log for her (she has a hard time hitting the space bar with no thumbs). Do those logs negatively impact your caching experience.

Worry less about others - and have fun finding caches.

Good question.

I would say it affects me and any other cacher when we see congratulatory threads about CCC's "accomplishments" when those achievements are for a large part bogus.

Seeing a cheater praised is well...beyond contempt.

....After all - my dog has an account. I log for her (she has a hard time hitting the space bar with no thumbs). Do those logs negatively impact your caching experience....

If your dog starts posting opinions in the forums, that might be a bit much. Unless the views expressed were her own. :huh:

....After all - my dog has an account. I log for her (she has a hard time hitting the space bar with no thumbs). Do those logs negatively impact your caching experience....

If your dog starts posting opinions in the forums, that might be a bit much. Unless the views epressed were her own. :(

Now that was good! :huh:

...Seeing a cheater praised is well...beyond contempt.

You haven't shown she cheated on that one cache. As far as I could tell it was with owners permission. It may not be what most think is kosher for a find, but it's allowable under the present system. If those finds didn't have the owners permission you may have a case on that cache.

Since cheating means that a person broke the rules, and there is no specific rule stating that you cannot log a cache as found (or attended) more than once, then the premise behind the question is not valid.

If you wish to discuss if there should be a guideline about multiple smileys, then feel free to discuss that in a different thread.

Don't accuse someone of breaking non-existent rules.

And in case anyone is wondering... no, I do not log multiple smileys, but that is my choice.