What does no electronics permitted mean?

BuxCamper

In a couple of threads including a recent one about repairing a cache for an AWOL owner it has been mentioned that the area has a posted sign indicating electronics are not permitted.

What the heck does this mean?

Does it mean somebody with a hearing aid, pacemaker, insulin pump not to mention consumer electronics like GPSr's cannot enjoy the area?

OK, I probably wouldn't like to hear a cell phone ring from the middle of the woods but I can think of a lot of things that can be done to damage the area and a cell phone ringing or navigating with my GPS are not on the list.

Edited by BuxCamper

As I recall, Baxter State Park in Maine does not allow any communications equipment in the backcountry, even for emergency use. If you go in, you're responsible for your own survival and rescue - no calling for help.

I found less stringent regulations using google:

25. AUDIO DEVICES: Audio devices such as radios, televisions, cassette players, or cellular telephones may not be operated within the Park.

26. POWER EQUIPMENT: Chainsaws, generators, and other power equipment may not be operated within the Park.

I didn't even think about a watch. I usually wear a cruddy old DIGITAL watch. Its an electronic device! Time for a sundial.

Now if a small plane goes down in Baxter SP and the pilot or passengers have the ability, do they have to turn off the Emergency Locator Transmitter?

This is so vague on so many levels.

As I recall, Baxter State Park in Maine does not allow any communications equipment in the backcountry, even for emergency use. If you go in, you're responsible for your own survival and rescue - no calling for help.

Glad we missed that one! My sister carried her cell phone when we made out attempt on the Hundred Mile Wilderness. And I carried my GPS.

Glad we missed that one! My sister carried her cell phone when we made out attempt on the Hundred Mile Wilderness. And I carried my GPS.

From the Baxter State Park website:

17. CLIMBING OR MOUNTAIN HIKING: Climbing or mountain hiking may be restricted at the discretion of the Director. Park users must be reasonably prepared and equipped, and must take reasonable precautions against endangering themselves or others. Hikers must wear appropriate footwear and clothing, and must carry a working flashlight. No children under the age of 6 years are allowed above timberline.

25. AUDIO DEVICES: Audio devices such as radios, televisions, cassette players, or cellular telephones may not be operated within the Park.

--

It doesn't specify type of radios (AM/FM or two-way). I would think it ludicrous to think hikers must be able to haul their body out if they have two broken legs.

I think that's a way to encourage you to go prepared for anything, and not hike alone.

Not that it matters much. We got to the top of whichever peak that is across the Knife Edge from Katahdin, and celebrated by listening to some college kid talking to his friends a half mile down the trail on one of those FRS radios. He found it easier to just keep it clipped to his belt, turn the volume all the way up, and push the Talk button and shout to reply.

This may have also been the trip where my father celebrated reaching the summit of a trailless peak by stuffing his compass in his back pocket and sitting down for some much needed rest. (Always bring a second compass!)

I would expect that this runs afoul of the Americans With Disabilities Act ("ADA") as it bars pacemaker patients. There is a fellow here in California who has been suing small businesses for the most minor violations of the ADA. I understand that he sued one restaurant because the mirror in the restroom was too high and because the pipes under the sink were not insulated. I understand that he has been making a good living with such lawsuits. I, of course, do not approve of such things, but mention this as the sign is not well conceived.

I have entered a deep psychic trance to access the original thoughts and intents of the creators of that sign in the Akashic Records Book in the Akashic Records Room at the Akashic Records library, and I can tell you with 99.9998% certainty that the concerns of the land stewards at the wilderness refuge were as follows: They wished to exclude use of the following item:

Portable frequency-agile ground-scanning radar units with attached ground side-scan sonar mapping and proton spin precession 3-axis gyroscopic-stabilized magnetometers with real-time real-world bifurcated GPS orientation with all component devices coupled to a portable PC for standardized data display and datalogging. These portable backpack packages typically sell for prices ranging from $240,000 to over 3 million dollars.

Unfortunately, while the land managers have nothing against the electronic hardware package in question, they realize that these devices are used by "Crashed UFO Prospectors" (aka CUFOPs) who are searching in these wilderness areas for crashed UFOs which are usualy buried from 31 to 596 feet below the surface. When these crashed UFO prospectors find such a wrecked starship, they are notorious for disregarding wilderness area rules and regulations and for bringing in massive earth-moving equipment and explosives for use in excavating and retrieving the crashed starships, and they are also infamous for hiring large armies of renegade outlaw soldiers of fortune (aka ROSOFs) to guard their excavation sites and to thwart any efforts by land managers and law enforement authorities to stop their illegal excavation activities; these excavation and retrieval activities cause severe environmental damage and this is why the land managers ban use of such devices.

I have entered a deep psychic trance to access the original thoughts and intents of the creators of that sign in the Akashic Records Book in the Akashic Records Room at the Akashic Records library, and I can tell you with 99.9998% certainty that the concerns of the land stewards at the wilderness refuge were as follows: They wished to exclude use of the following item:

Portable frequency-agile ground-scanning radar units with attached ground side-scan sonar mapping and proton spin precession 3-axis gyroscopic-stabilized magnetometers with real-time real-world bifurcated GPS orientation with all component devices coupled to a portable PC for standardized data display and datalogging. These portable backpack packages typically sell for prices ranging from $240,000 to over 3 million dollars.

Unfortunately, while the land managers have nothing against the electronic hardware package in question, they realize that these devices are used by "Crashed UFO Prospectors" (aka CUFOPs) who are searching in these wilderness areas for crashed UFOs which are usualy buried from 31 to 596 feet below the surface. When these crashed UFO prospectors find such a wrecked starship, they are notorious for disregarding wilderness area rules and regulations and for bringing in massive earth-moving equipment and explosives for use in excavating and retrieving the crashed starships, and they are also infamous for hiring large armies of renegade outlaw soldiers of fortune (aka ROSOFs) to guard their excavation sites and to thwart any efforts by land managers and law enforement authorities to stop their illegal excavation activities; these excavation and retrieval activities cause severe environmental damage and this is why the land managers ban use of such devices.

That is a great story. :laughing:

I would avoid using electronic items that could obviously disturb the animals or human visitors, and I wouldn't worry about being in violation by carrying or using other electronic devices, including my GPSr, digital camera, digital watch, PDA, or mobile phone (ring on silent or vibrate, of course). There is no state or local ordinance referenced, and I doubt the Massachusetts Audubon Society has much enforcement authority.

Thank you for your inquiry, this restriction applies to devices that would be disruptive to visitors or wildlife such as radios and electronic equipment used to attract birds or other wildlife.

If that is what they want then they should say that. Too easy.

At least they replied!!

Edited by StarBrand

17. CLIMBING OR MOUNTAIN HIKING: Climbing or mountain hiking may be restricted at the discretion of the Director. Park users must be reasonably prepared and equipped, and must take reasonable precautions against endangering themselves or others. Hikers must wear appropriate footwear and clothing, and must carry a working flashlight. No children under the age of 6 years are allowed above timberline.

25. AUDIO DEVICES: Audio devices such as radios, televisions, cassette players, or cellular telephones may not be operated within the Park....

Those conflict. For modern hikers and other outdoor types including geocachers taking reasonable precauctions may very well include electronics.

I did get a reply from them, and some of the previous guesses were correct:

Thank you for your inquiry, this restriction applies to devices that would be disruptive to visitors or wildlife such as radios and electronic equipment used to attract birds or other wildlife.

So just turn off the beeps on your GPS, and you should be all set :laughing:

Excellent. I'm glad they took the time to reply.

To answer the question from another poster about a camera. Digital cameras would actually be better than a manual. You can turn of the shutter sounds. :ph34r:

I did get a reply from them, and some of the previous guesses were correct:

So just turn off the beeps on your GPS, and you should be all set :ph34r:

Well, at least there's room to interpret this vague rule with common sense. :laughing:

I think that's a way to encourage you to go prepared for anything, and not hike alone.

Don't know how you could "go prepared for anything" without a means to call for help.

I suppose it would be good then to carry a handgun and a lot of ammo... when you need help, fire 3 times... repeat until help comes... save one round for your head if help doesn't come and it looks like you're gonna starve to death.

Oh, wait a minute, MASS! My bad; them things aint allowed in there.

25. AUDIO DEVICES: Audio devices such as radios, televisions, cassette players, or cellular telephones may not be operated within the Park....

Those conflict. For modern hikers and other outdoor types including geocachers taking reasonable precauctions may very well include electronics.

I hike and camp a lot, and for me, being reasonably prepared, especially for a mountain hike or climb means at least 2 GPSrs, flashlights, an FRS or GMRS radio for each member of the hiking party (in case of separation), always a cellphone (although I rarely get reception out in the middle of nowhere), and my camera gear which includes digital SLR cameras, strobes, and light meter. So, being "reasonably prepared" definitely requires at least some type of communication device...

Strange rule...

Don't know how you could "go prepared for anything" without a means to call for help.

I suppose it would be good then to carry a handgun and a lot of ammo... when you need help, fire 3 times... repeat until help comes... save one round for your head if help doesn't come and it looks like you're gonna starve to death.

Uh, I wake up every morning in the fall to the sound of waterfowl hunting, so I think you're wrong about the "no guns in MA" part. I think you'd find plenty of landowners here who would would welcome hunting on their land - we've got plenty [too many] of deer and geese, and a rapidly growing turkey population.

Uh, I wake up every morning in the fall to the sound of waterfowl hunting, so I think you're wrong about the "no guns in MA" part. I think you'd find plenty of landowners here who would would welcome hunting on their land - we've got plenty [too many] of deer and geese, and a rapidly growing turkey population.

I think handguns arent allowed though right? Nobody hunts waterfowl with a pistol.... :)

I think handguns arent allowed though right? Nobody hunts waterfowl with a pistol.... :P

No need for guns. We just lure them in with our liberal views about health care and civil unions and then tax them to death. :P

Just for the record, how many tyrannical governments has your state overthrown? Happy Thanksgiving! ;)

Just for the record, how many tyrannical governments has your state overthrown? Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Good one!

I reckon my state wouldn't exist if not for your state's courage and tenacity. Why did they let it go? :mad:

(thread seems to be successfully hijacked) :) REALLY I DIDN"T MEAN TO!

I apologize for the disparagemnt of courage and tenacity of MASS people in this post.

I was typing in a hurry to get out and my wit could not keep up with my slow typing skills.

Keeping in mind the entire post was made in jest, I should have said "your state's standing up for personal rights" I was mostly referring to amendment 2 of course, as would be garnered from the history of my posts.

I didn't mean to offend, just trying to be funny.

Hmmmm, interesting. I guess this means I need to turn off my noisy beeping insulin pump...not!

I guess I'll just have to disobey the signs!

"Excuse me Joe, could you remove my pacemaker before we go in? Here's a rusty pocket knife, cut right here."

At least MAS offered a clarification. I don't know who would have authority to enforce any ordinances/rules on that area. But I hope they have the same understanding.