Around the World in 80 Caches

avroair

I had a really weird experience with the race. I sent my coin to Athens Greece to start its journey. I asked a cacher to drop it in a cache there, where it sat for a few months with nobody retrieving it. I emailed the same cacher & asked if they'd go to see if the coin was still there and if it was to drop it in a more visited cache. They picked it up but didn't bother putting it in another cache.

I waited awhile and then decided to send off the backup racer coin. I dropped it not to far from home here in the USA. About 3 weeks ago I got an email from someone in Athens who found the coin at an event. I told them to keep it since it was probably the first coin I sent out to travel. About a week later I got an email from a cacher from Nevada (I believe) who said they were having problems dropping the racer coin in a cache (because the person from the event had grabbed the 1st one - same tracking number).

The people from Nevada had just taken a trip to Athens Greece and they dropped off the coin in a cache there. Now I was really confused and I thought maybe the Athens cacher had picked up the 2nd coin. Nope, I have spoken with the 2nd cacher & they dropped the coin off in Athens a full week after the 1st cacher picked up the 1st coin at the event.

How weird is that? Both of the coins ended up in Athens in caches about 1500 feet apart from each other. lol

How weird is that? Both of the coins ended up in Athens in caches about 1500 feet apart from each other. lol

Next time you send a coin into the wild let me know, I wanna goto Athens. :(

Well the race has officially ended.

Thanks to everyone who entered. And to Peter for his expertise in the website.

And congrats to Seal Rock George for the greatest balloon of all...

:laughing:

thanks for the game avroair! I was really impressed the winning coin nearly made the 80 feats!

My coin got stuck in august - still trying to get it loose again so it's not offically missing. Unfortunately it didn't have a twin as it was the Pink one because I shared my pack with a friend.

Can I put a wee plug in for the tb/coin race starting in feb cachinggames.com again as I can't seem to update my sig line :D

There are two legendary balloonists available on the geoswag presale page.

Legendary Balloonists series 1

The first in the series of Legendary Balloonists is the 'Red Baron' and his 99 Luft Balloon, this famed German aerialist had no equals and during his racing days from 1909 to 1914 he won the 80 Days Around the World Banner 5 consecutive times, a feat that has been unmatched. His career was cut short when he joined the signal corps during WWI, he was shot down in 1918, somewhere over the Western Front, never to be seen again. 99 for sale ~ comes with a matching pin

Legendary Balloonists: The Black Watcher series 2

The second in the series of Legendary Balloonists is the "The Black Watcher" and his Flying Circus Balloon, this illustrious Scot Hamish McCache was a grand performer of the skies and during his racing days mysteriously won the 80 Days Around the World Banner 4 times over 4 decades: (1898,1908, 1918 and 1928) choosing only to enter the race in the year ending in 8 ~ his career was cut short when in 1938 his balloon collided with a telegraph pole and landed unceremoniously in a large patch of thistles. The balloon was salvaged, but the aviator wasn't.

99 for sale ~ comes with a matching pin

Around the World in 80 Days: Legendary Balloonists

There are two legendary balloonists available on the geoswag presale page.

Legendary Balloonists series 1

The first in the series of Legendary Balloonists is the 'Red Baron' and his 99 Luft Balloon, this famed German aerialist had no equals and during his racing days from 1909 to 1914 he won the 80 Days Around the World Banner 5 consecutive times, a feat that has been unmatched. His career was cut short when he joined the signal corps during WWI, he was shot down in 1918, somewhere over the Western Front, never to be seen again. 99 for sale ~ comes with a matching pin

Legendary Balloonists: The Black Watcher series 2

The second in the series of Legendary Balloonists is the "The Black Watcher" and his Flying Circus Balloon, this illustrious Scot Hamish McCache was a grand performer of the skies and during his racing days mysteriously won the 80 Days Around the World Banner 4 times over 4 decades: (1898,1908, 1918 and 1928) choosing only to enter the race in the year ending in 8 ~ his career was cut short when in 1938 his balloon collided with a telegraph pole and landed unceremoniously in a large patch of thistles. The balloon was salvaged, but the aviator wasn't.

99 for sale ~ comes with a matching pin

Around the World in 80 Days: Legendary Balloonists

Nice and ordered, but..............please stop milking this Ballooncoin :D . I don't want to paint my wall with only Balloon coins ;) .