Around the World in 80 Caches

avroair

For the feats, you can log the TB number instead of a Waypoint ID!

Thanks! Totally forgot about that! :D

So for a "visits the zoo" type feat, I can log against the TB number instead of needing another cache move?

Cool.

PS. Looks like my guy is going to get a balloon ride this w/e - very cool!

Thanks! Totally forgot about that! :D

So for a "visits the zoo" type feat, I can log against the TB number instead of needing another cache move?

Cool.

PS. Looks like my guy is going to get a balloon ride this w/e - very cool!

One feat per move, and no consecutive logs per cacher. So, if one cacher takes your coin to the zoo, then the same cacher drops it in a terrain 4 cache, you can only count one of those feats (zoo, or terrain 4). But, if one cacher takes your coin to the zoo, then another cacher grabs the coin from the first cacher, and the second cacher drops it in a terrain 4, then you can get 2 feats. Yes, you can use the TB number when there is no cache involved in the feat.

And by the way, what a lucky dawg on that balloon ride!

One feat per move, and no consecutive logs per cacher.

One feat per move(=move to a cache or event!) - regardless of the people involved and no consecutive logs per cacher. The way you describe it a discovered-log and 5 photos completing different feats shot at the same event by various cachers would have to be 7 valid moves, too. (Imagine the people have to 'walk' outside the event-area to take the picture and its a perfect 'move')

Thats not the way I've played until now and not what I explained to the guys moving the coins in my area when they asked. I would choose one of the 7 possibilities offered at the event and if someone takes the coin on a Balloon ride I would wait for the placement in the next cache to log the feature.

Obviously the rules can be understand in different ways :) although I thought they were clear enough :) (I got the logs of a competitor and I understand the idea behind them but I admit that I don't like it :lol: ) I don't say that my way of logging is better but the challenge behind it is the idea I like most about this race. Therefore I won't change my "slow-logging" - even not to win the race :)

I think I will take a look at the ladder at the end of the game and look up who is the first one of those who played the game my way. The interesting thing about it: Did it really matter? Is there a difference? Are the results the same in the end as everyone is limited to 80+ feats and nobody will reach the dec.07 bonus in advance?

Beside all this: The race is fun regardless who wins it and in which way. I really enjoy it! (I am glad my son has his own coin - mine doesn't move at all :) )

Dunja

Edited by Dunja

One feat per move(=move to a cache or event!) - regardless of the people involved and no consecutive logs per cacher.

We agree with you here! The name of the game is Around the World in 80 Caches. 80 Caches = 80 Moves = 80 Feats. It is stated in the rules that "Every time your coin moves you can pick ONE and only one feat to check off your 80 feats Checklist." :) We thought grabbing a coin from a player was not a move. It doesn't register as mileage. We figured once mileage is recorded, then it's a move. Except for Bonus Feats, all we need to do is compare the number of feats claimed to the number of caches visited to see who is and is not playing by the same rules. We kind of disregard the teams who interpret the rules differently. You've got to compare apples to apples! :lol:

It looks like we have two methods: the Anything Goes method and the 1 Feat per Cache method. Either is fine. We enjoy playing the game the "per cache" way because it involves a little more strategy than simply checking off feats.

Edited by Resolution

One feat per move, and no consecutive logs per cacher.

One feat per move(=move to a cache or event!) - regardless of the people involved and no consecutive logs per cacher. The way you describe it a discovered-log and 5 photos completing different feats shot at the same event by various cachers would have to be 7 valid moves, too. (Imagine the people have to 'walk' outside the event-area to take the picture and its a perfect 'move')

Thats not the way I've played until now and not what I explained to the guys moving the coins in my area when they asked. I would choose one of the 7 possibilities offered at the event and if someone takes the coin on a Balloon ride I would wait for the placement in the next cache to log the feature.

Obviously the rules can be understand in different ways :) although I thought they were clear enough :) (I got the logs of a competitor and I understand the idea behind them but I admit that I don't like it :lol: ) I don't say that my way of logging is better but the challenge behind it is the idea I like most about this race. Therefore I won't change my "slow-logging" - even not to win the race :)

I think I will take a look at the ladder at the end of the game and look up who is the first one of those who played the game my way. The interesting thing about it: Did it really matter? Is there a difference? Are the results the same in the end as everyone is limited to 80+ feats and nobody will reach the dec.07 bonus in advance?

Beside all this: The race is fun regardless who wins it and in which way. I really enjoy it! (I am glad my son has his own coin - mine doesn't move at all :) )

Dunja

Thanks for the clarification, Dunja. You're right. And that's the way I've been playing, too, one feat per cache, except, of course, the initial bonus. My daughter and I each have our own balloons, and we got off to a good start (thanks to friends and family). Mine just got picked up after sitting for almost 3 weeks, but Tori's getting close to accomplishing the "hasn't moved for a month" feat! It's fun, but also sometimes frustrating just waiting for the coins to move!

Thanks! Totally forgot about that! :lol:

Now I've read it again! Doh!

That meant - For the BONUS feats, you can log the TB number instead of a Waypoint ID!

Which is the way I understood it originally - thought there was something different that I hadn;t realised.

Been doing OK.

One feat per move(=move to a cache or event!) - regardless of the people involved and no consecutive logs per cacher.

We agree with you here! The name of the game is Around the World in 80 Caches. 80 Caches = 80 Moves = 80 Feats. It is stated in the rules that "Every time your coin moves you can pick ONE and only one feat to check off your 80 feats Checklist." :) We thought grabbing a coin from a player was not a move. It doesn't register as mileage. We figured once mileage is recorded, then it's a move. Except for Bonus Feats, all we need to do is compare the number of feats claimed to the number of caches visited to see who is and is not playing by the same rules. We kind of disregard the teams who interpret the rules differently. You've got to compare apples to apples! :)

It looks like we have two methods: the Anything Goes method and the 1 Feat per Cache method. Either is fine. We enjoy playing the game the "per cache" way because it involves a little more strategy than simply checking off feats.

Again, y'all are right. Sorry, had a brain fart. One feat per cache. Check my stats, that's the way I've been playing, too. Sorry if I just caused more confusion than clarification :lol: Next time, I'll think before I type!

Edited by MommyFinder

80 moves = 80 feats, the bonuse feats didn't count and could be claimed whenever they were accomplished.

The confusion arises not when coins are logged or discovered but when people claim feats for them.

If you coin is logged into a cache, you can log a feat for it. Notes and discovered etc are not considered logs.

An example: if my coin is logged into an event I can log one feat, regardless of how many feats the coin actually accomplished at the event. I can only pick one (which is where the difficulty lies, choices! So many choices!).

To prevent virtual logging and hoarding, a cacher cannot complete two consecutive feats for your balloon in the same day. That doesn't mean the cacher can't log your coin in and out of caches 10 times, show it to a friend to discover or discover it themselves. You are only claiming feats for each time it moves. Your feat logging caps off at 3 total per cacher.

Logging feats between family members with different accounts is fine and you are allowed to 'rescue' your travel bug if you feel it has fallen into a cache that will hold it prisoner for an undue amount of time. (but you don't log a feat for rescuing your travel bug).

For a feat such as, hasn't moved in a month, when it does move then you can log that feat.

Hope this clarifies things as to the original intention, but in the end it's each to their own :lol:

Mark, I have two questions...

First, I'd like to remove a feat that we incorrectly claimed. How do I do that?

Second, Feat #41 (The coin gets discovered): Does this feat have to correspond to a move? The act of discovering is not a move. I guess my concern is more for the cachers who perform feats than for the feat claim itself. If cacher A performs a feat and drops the coin in a cache, cacher B discovers the coin, then cacher C grabs the coin and performs another feat before dropping it in another cache, according to the rules only 2 feats may be claimed. Who gets the short end of the stick when it comes to getting credit and being entered into the drawing?

My concern is more for the good cachers who make the effort to perform a feat and then not getting credit for it. Thoughts?

First, I'd like to remove a feat that we incorrectly claimed. How do I do that?

If you login to cachinggames.com there is a 'delete log' link. Or you can just go here

Second, Feat #41 (The coin gets discovered): Does this feat have to correspond to a move? The act of discovering is not a move. I guess my concern is more for the cachers who perform feats than for the feat claim itself.

*Smiles* I see your point. So cacher A and C move the coin, but cacher B discovers it. Last month I put all three cachers into the drawing since they all helped the coin.

Has anyones coin?

a. Feat 80: Coin travels in a hot air balloon?

b. Feat 70: Visited a world heritage Site? (mine did but I claimed the 5000 miles instead!)

c. Moved 5 times in a week?

My racing coin did accomplish B and C. Old Quebec City (Canada) is listed as a World Heritage Site and the coin got photographed with a proof of it and it got moved 5 times in a week also. I guess i'm a little lucky !!! :blink:

If you login to cachinggames.com there is a 'delete log' link. Or you can just go here

Thanks. Actually, that link was just added. I emailed site admin about it. I have now corrected our claims. :wub:

*Smiles* I see your point. So cacher A and C move the coin, but cacher B discovers it. Last month I put all three cachers into the drawing since they all helped the coin.

How do you get all three cachers in the drawing if only two claims can be made? :blink: We just want to make sure we claim this feat correctly.

And now I came across one more question: For the Activity category (Moves 10 times in a month for example) can one cacher take the coin on a run of 10 caches and claim that feat?

Start of the Month Stats board:

There are 481 claims lodged in this game.

Around the World in 80 Caches Ladder

Has anyones coin?

b. Feat 70: Visited a world heritage Site? (mine did but I claimed the 5000 miles instead!)

:huh:

B: feat 70, see here at 12/23/2006

So 80 caches means 80 feats, hmmmm, I'll look again and make our Balloon travel clean :D. I know I made an mistake if we play "by the rules". I hope everyone travels clean :D

Mmmmm.. maybe it could sound like good news to the leaders but it looks like my racing coin has been stolen... More to come on that story !

A stolen coin is NEVER good news! :laughing: We have had luck tracking down missing coins by contacting anyone who visited the cache after the coin was dropped. Ask them if they saw the coin in the cache instead of whether they took it or not. This way you can generally narrow it down to one or two cachers

Good luck!

I happened to pick up Globalgirl's coin and will be taking it to Geocoinfest... I'll have to enlist a few friends to help it get as many feats completed at such a big event.

Oo! Oo! Pick me! Pick me! :ph34r: I'll take it in a hot air balloon! :blink: (or was that the moves under a vertical mile feat?) :ph34r:

Start of the Month Stats board:

There are 481 claims lodged in this game.

Around the World in 80 Caches Ladder

Has anyones coin?

:P

feat b: well - I live in a world heritage site <_< and the coin started in it - but until now did not use it. I think this is one of the features easier to reach in Europe therefore I didn' care about this one.

Feat. c was reached by my son's coin. He had a very good start. Therefore 5 times in a week and 10 times in a month were reached. (whereas my coin could "reach" the "didn't move in a month feature" ;) )

avroair, thanks a lot for sending me the geocoin " around the world". Really awesome of you guys that i won this coin.java script:emoticon(':blink:', 'smid_4')

:unsure:

You are welcome!

Since I will be away Feb 16th this months random movement winners are:

Embargo moving "MommyFinder's Up Up and Away Geocoin"

BlueNorange moving Mamacette's "Speedy Marmacette Balloon Geocoin"

gumbo67 moving "Nairolfs Rakete" Balloon Geocoin

Congrats! Glad to see them still moving!

Random winners of a balloon coin for March:

team pantherchamäleon who moved Pandabeertje's Around the World in 80 Caches Contest Geocoin coin

Biggles303 who moved Cached Big Sky coin

BuckyD who moved M&J's Around the World in 80 Caches Geocoin

Congrats! And thanks for moving the coins!

o.k. I'm confused (again!) - with these "bonus feats". I reread most the thead and get conflicting conclusions.

Are, or are not the bonus feats treated precisely as the other 80 feats? i.e. must they conform to the the "no 2 consecutive by the same cacher", count as one among the 3 max. for any given cacher?

e.g. A cacher took a pic of Xanadu with a windmill and I logged it as the 5 pt. bonus feat for March/April. Now the same cacher's taken a photo with a Groundspeak employee (10 pts!), but... must he first hand off Xanadu to another cacher (and they log a feat inbetween) before he can log the pic with gc.com employee? Or can he simply log the 10 pt. Groundspeak employee pic feat consecutively 'cuz... the previous feat was a bonus feat??

Corollary question... this "in between" to break up consecutives - must it be logged in/out of a cache by another cacher, or just handed off momentarily and logged on the TB page and/or... must another cacher must actually perform a FEAT in between to break up the consecutive?

Dizzy I tell ya - makes me dizzy... :smile:

o.k. I'm confused (again!) - with these "bonus feats". I reread most the thead and get conflicting conclusions.

Are, or are not the bonus feats treated precisely as the other 80 feats? i.e. must they conform to the the "no 2 consecutive by the same cacher", count as one among the 3 max. for any given cacher?

e.g. A cacher took a pic of Xanadu with a windmill and I logged it as the 5 pt. bonus feat for March/April. Now the same cacher's taken a photo with a Groundspeak employee (10 pts!), but... must he first hand off Xanadu to another cacher (and they log a feat inbetween) before he can log the pic with gc.com employee? Or can he simply log the 10 pt. Groundspeak employee pic feat consecutively 'cuz... the previous feat was a bonus feat??

Corollary question... this "in between" to break up consecutives - must it be logged in/out of a cache by another cacher, or just handed off momentarily and logged on the TB page and/or... must another cacher must actually perform a FEAT in between to break up the consecutive?

Dizzy I tell ya - makes me dizzy... :smile:

The bonus feats are just that. They can be done anytime but they still conform to the rules of the other feats. You can't have two consecutive feats by the same cacher in the same 24 hour period, and no more than 3 logged feats by the same cacher over the lifetime of the game.

:huh: In between would be considered another log in\out of a cache --- another feat is performed. So they can't just hand it back and forth to each other. It has to be a log.

Roger that, thanks for clearing up part of it so swiftly. But...

:( In between would be considered another log in\out of a cache --- another feat is performed. So they can't just hand it back and forth to each other. It has to be a log.

Just "a log"? In/out of a cache, but not necessarily a feat? or... someone else has to actually perform a feat in between the windmill bonus photo and the Groundspeak employee photo??? (gee, that seems a tad tough...)

Am I making any sense whatsoever??? :smile::huh:

Roger that, thanks for clearing up part of it so swiftly. But...

:( In between would be considered another log in\out of a cache --- another feat is performed. So they can't just hand it back and forth to each other. It has to be a log.

Just "a log"? In/out of a cache, but not necessarily a feat? or... someone else has to actually perform a feat in between the windmill bonus photo and the Groundspeak employee photo??? (gee, that seems a tad tough...)

Am I making any sense whatsoever??? :smile::huh:

Making plenty sense to me, many of the feats are necessarily "cache" related, like taking a photo with an employee or a famous person. And for the bonus feats, at the beginning people we encouraged to use the TB number (instead of a cache number) to log the bonus feats, since they were a "bonus" and not part of the 80.

Of course it is supposed to fun. And as you may have noticed the game will accept any entry...

Congrats to the April Balloon coin winners!

Stormpie for moving Baelrati's coin

NBJPoppa for moving GlobalGirl's coin

Facile for moving Nairolf's coin

:laughing: Remember to thank people who move your coin! Now if I can just get Mrs Avroair to part with hers! :laughing: It might get more points. :laughing:

Darn, I was so hoping some of the German cachers who have been moving my balloon all over the place would have won a prize.

I didn't realize we were supposed to use the TB number in place of a GC cache number for the bonus feats. Can prior logs be edited?

Edited by AtlantaGal

Darn, I was so hoping some of the German cachers who have been moving my balloon all over the place would have won a prize.

I didn't realize we were supposed to use the TB number in place of a GC cache number for the bonus feats. Can prior logs be edited?

They can be deleted but it doesn't make a difference, they are still computed towards the ladder.

Anyone got any 10 pointers or 'unique to the race' feast lately?

Anyone got any 10 pointers or 'unique to the race' feast lately?

Yup, NBJPoppa (who coincidently won one of the sparkly balloon coins in the monthly drawing - yea!) kindly managed to get a (10 point!) pic w/ Xanadu and a Groundspeak employee - YIPPEEE!

5ce370cf-8dbc-4756-bef0-4f2095162f76.jpg

'Course... those of us here in the Emerald City are lucky - we have the frog pond just down the street! :D

My coin with Dutch reviewer Kruimeldief at the Geocaching Multi Event 2007 on April 14th!!! :laughing:

plaatje

And it's not only Kruimeldief on this picture. But a part of Wij Drie is also visible. It was a good day on the first European Mega Event.

tot cache,

team Wij Drie :rolleyes:

I have a list of proposed bonus feats, but would like to open it up to the forums...

So put on your thinking caps! What cool things could a coin do for a bonus feat? The winning idea will get a free balloon racer coin sent their way! :blink: (anyone can suggest a bonus feat, you don't have to already be in the race)

Mark

Avroair

Here's a few:

Post a picture of the coin...

with a dad for father's day (June)

with a flag for July (it can be any flag)

with a pregnant woman for September (Labor day)

at an outdoor store (Cabelas, REI, Gander Mtn, etc)

with a school bus (celebrating the last day of school)

with a scout (Boy Scout or Girl Scout)