Around the World in 80 Caches

avroair

Please help me, I don't understand these 2 feats:

2. unique to the race, you choose (pick something)

6. unique to the race, you choose (pick something)

What is a "unique to the race" location?

Isn't any cache a unique place??

Hi Fazanten - I think "unique to the race" would mean a feat "Not previously done by another coin in this race" so moving exactly 13.25 km? or something weird - "survived washing machine hot cycle" "coughed up in a furball"

Edited by forthferalz

Please help me, I don't understand these 2 feats:

2. unique to the race, you choose (pick something)

6. unique to the race, you choose (pick something)

What is a "unique to the race" location?

Isn't any cache a unique place??

Hi Fazanten - I think "unique to the race" would mean a feat "Not previously done by another coin in this race" so moving exactly 13.25 km? or something weird - "survived washing machine hot cycle" "coughed up in a furball"

I was thinking the same thing. An example would be "cache beside a monk's cabin". BUT, how can you possibly tell that somebody else didn't already log their coin as being in a cache beside a monk's cabin? I don't think you can. So I too am confused about those.

I have a question:

day 1 cacher A puts the balloon in cache X (a feat :anitongue: )

day 3 cacher B gets the balloon from cache X and make a picture (an other feat :rolleyes: )

day 5 cahcer B puts the balloon in cache Y and another feat can be reached (an other feat :rolleyes: )

Is it legal to earn the 3 feats or is it possible to earn only 2 feats :anitongue: ?

I would say, it is possible to earn those 3 feats, because these are all separate actions <_< .

What do you think??

Hiya all.

Sorry for being offline for so long, the internet crashed in Asia due to an earthquake and the Hanoi connection is tediously slow anyways, now I am in danang it's a slight bit faster.

Answers:

Day 3 cacher 1

Day 5 cacher 1

Yes, you get two feats, since they are not in a 24 hour period, but the most feats you can get from one cache is one (each move just 1) or cacher is 3

"unique to the race" = you choose whatever cool and unique thing your balloon racer coin has done that isn't among the 80 feats (it has to be rather unique or quirky).

Happy Holidays from Vietnam!

:anitongue:

Yes, you get two feats, since they are not in a 24 hour period, but the most feats you can get from one cache is one (each move just 1) or cacher is 3

hmmm... Somehow it seems that I don't understand the rules properly concerning all the features you get from logs other than "placed" ;)

1.) I understood until now that ONLY a "placed"-log is a valid movement for logging a feature (and then only 1). That means that you earn the feature for the picture in a "note" or the "discovered" feature just when the coin is placed within the next cache. (what means that this cache cannot be used for another feature)

But as I can see not everyone logs like that

==> If the coin is at an event and then 5 different cachers are taking pictures with coins and TBs and nature and whatever that fits and the 6th cacher discovers it - does that mean I can finish 7 features including the event? (I would have logged only one feature until now)

2.) I thought that the same cacher cannot earn 2 features in consecutive logs, even when the period is more than 24hrs. (therefore I didn't get the sense of the Answer concerning the "since they are not in a 24 hrs period"-part )

3.) Same question as Kapitein Haak: can I change the feature after I logged it and is there a deadline for changing?

Another Problem I allready wrote in an email: I cannot log december-features anymore. As I am on holidays too and have problems with the connection my logs are not up-to-date ;)

;) Dunja

1.) I understood until now that ONLY a "placed"-log is a valid movement for logging a feature (and then only 1). That means that you earn the feature for the picture in a "note" or the "discovered" feature just when the coin is placed within the next cache. (what means that this cache cannot be used for another feature)

The feats were supposed to be logged one per movement, but it seems some people are logging 'discovers'and photos as logs as well. Since this has been done alot already it's fine to do that. But a geocacher cannot log 2 consecutive in the same day (this stops people from virtually dropping coins and having one cacher monopolize your coin for months on end).

3.) Same question as Kapitein Haak: can I change the feature after I logged it and is there a deadline for changing?

You can change them anytime, but the drawing for winning coins is held each month and the new entries won't be included if the drawing has already concluded.

Hope this helps, the game is much like golf, self scoring I am available to answer and clarify questions, but I am not going to act rules lawyer.

Happy 2007!

Ugh! Ours has gone missing already. It was placed in a cache on the 2nd..."discovered" on the 3rd, and then another log for that cache on the same day mentioned that no trackables were in the cache. Our friends went out and confirmed that it is not in the cache, and that no one else had signed the logbook during the interval where it went awol. We've contacted the folks that own the cache, and found the cache without any luck of tracking it down. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will show up...maybe at this weekend's event...but...

Ugh! Ours has gone missing already. It was placed in a cache on the 2nd..."discovered" on the 3rd, and then another log for that cache on the same day mentioned that no trackables were in the cache. Our friends went out and confirmed that it is not in the cache, and that no one else had signed the logbook during the interval where it went awol. We've contacted the folks that own the cache, and found the cache without any luck of tracking it down. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will show up...maybe at this weekend's event...but...

Well, if it shows up you might be the first contestant to log feat #50 :(

Well, if it shows up you might be the first contestant to log feat #50 :(

LOL! Well...I am not sure what happened, but it showed up as retrieved today...our friends told us that they emptied the cache when they visited it, and it was not there...but somehow it was there today, when someone found the cache. I should've posted something sooner about loosing it...then it would've shown up sooner!

Well, if it shows up you might be the first contestant to log feat #50 <_<

LOL! Well...I am not sure what happened, but it showed up as retrieved today...our friends told us that they emptied the cache when they visited it, and it was not there...but somehow it was there today, when someone found the cache. I should've posted something sooner about loosing it...then it would've shown up sooner!

Sounds like a 10 point feat (#50) to me!!

Well, if it shows up you might be the first contestant to log feat #50 <_<

If that's not confirmed missing then found, I don't know what is! (Maybe somebody felt some guilt, then returned the coin to the cache.)

Well, if it shows up you might be the first contestant to log feat #50 :D

If that's not confirmed missing then found, I don't know what is! (Maybe somebody felt some guilt, then returned the coin to the cache.)

Well, I hope the same happened to our Balloon <_< . It's dropped, but not found by the next cacher. The cache is very difficult to find, so no muggles. Hopefully not a false coin collector, but a friendly cacher letting me swet for a while :huh:. The logs are dutch, but I guess AvroAir will understand it when our coin shows up again. Otherwise it's really lost (feat 5:5 ) but I'am not ready for my second Balloon yet :D

So, how does the monthly drawing work? Has December's drawing been done yet? Where can we see a list of monthly drawing winners? I'd like to know if anyone who moved my coin won the drawing! :)

Thanks!

The December monthly drawing is being held slightly late since I was out of country since today. Should have it done by the 15th. When a new bonus feat will be available.

I was inundated with requests to keep the feats to one move one feat (easier to track) and have contacted people who are logging 4-5 feats for one event or cache. Thanks!

So, how does the monthly drawing work? Has December's drawing been done yet? Where can we see a list of monthly drawing winners? I'd like to know if anyone who moved my coin won the drawing! :)

Thanks!

The December monthly drawing is being held slightly late since I was out of country since today. Should have it done by the 15th. When a new bonus feat will be available.

I was inundated with requests to keep the feats to one move one feat (easier to track) and have contacted people who are logging 4-5 feats for one event or cache. Thanks!

1. Will the list of winners be available at cachinggames.com?

2. One feat per event/cache? Gee, that's the way I've been playing! Thanks for keeping it fair!

Our Balloon seems missing already after three moves :ph34r: . How long do we have to wait before launching Balloon 2 (or copy)? And what happens if #1 shows up again (feat 5:10)? Or must we report coin #1 missing first before getting feat 5:5?

Another player is missing his Balloon coin also because of a cache rip :wub:

Are we number 1 and 2 BMIA (Balloon missing in action)?

Query about the Milestone moves.

In particular "moved 10 times".

On my coin, the 10th move comes up when the cacher has moved it twice inside 24 hours.

So as it's a milestone, does it matter who moved it? Or can I claim on the eleventh move as it has had it's "10th move" as long as I don't claim it retrospectively in that I haven't claimed another feat in the middle.

Thanks

Cached

Our coin was missed in action as the cache it was dropped in one day later was archived due to the cachebox being gone.

After a week however the box was delivered at his owner by a few hunters who removed the box so the coin will be back in circulation. I had allready logged the feat of the coin missing in action, i take i can log the found back after missing feat at the moment it is replaced.

Greetz Kapitein Haak

Avroair said a couple of posts ago that he's emailing those who have logged more than one feat per event or cache. If we're counting points, it only seems fair if we're all counting the same way!

I am glad to hear that! I agree to marmacette, that having to choose a feature is why I liked this game from the first time I heard of it :laughing:

To the question of Cached - I am not sure if it is the same as mine was: "2nd: what does "moved 5 times milestone" mean? (i am not sure about the sence of it) what I understand is: the 5th move. (therefore this feature can be checked just once and never again - if the 5th move is a 4* terrain-move and I choose the terrain-feature than the other is never available again.) Is that right?"

Avroair's answer:

'NO, SORRY IF SHOULD SAY: MOVED 5 TIMES OR MORE, SO YOU CAN LOG IT ANYTIME AFTER 5 MOVEMENTS.'

greetings, Dunja

Edited by Dunja

Avroair said a couple of posts ago that he's emailing those who have logged more than one feat per event or cache. If we're counting points, it only seems fair if we're all counting the same way!

I am glad to hear that! I agree to marmacette, that having to choose a feature is why I liked this game from the first time I heard of it :laughing:

To the question of Cached - I am not sure if it is the same as mine was: "2nd: what does "moved 5 times milestone" mean? (i am not sure about the sence of it) what I understand is: the 5th move. (therefore this feature can be checked just once and never again - if the 5th move is a 4* terrain-move and I choose the terrain-feature than the other is never available again.) Is that right?"

Avroair's answer:

'NO, SORRY IF SHOULD SAY: MOVED 5 TIMES OR MORE, SO YOU CAN LOG IT ANYTIME AFTER 5 MOVEMENTS.'

greetings, Dunja

We're all good then - thanks!

O.k., o.k. - clearly a bit slow getting started here. But only 'cuz I've been pretty much off the map since the end of December with a most nasty cold and ruptured eardrum (that still has me bit wobbly on my feet.) But I finally have my little "Xanadu Traveler" ready to go and want to get into the ATWI80C sandbox to play. Will shortly drop little Xanna in a "feat" cache nearby, but meanwhile want to pick up the 5 bonus points for this month (I presume the window runs through Jan. 16, yes?) Sooooo... here's my "Up, up and awaaaaay!" bonus photo:

3cbedd83-c8f9-4a08-b94b-002e72391d5a.jpg

Let the FUN begin!

How long do we have to wait before launching Balloon 2 (or copy)?

Another player asked me this question and their balloon has since been re-found. I would tend to wait a couple of weeks from the time the balloon is known to be taken since some cachers might be slow logging or on vacation. It is entirely up to you though since you are keeping your own scores.

FYI the January - February bonus feat (worth 5 points):

Have your coin photographed with a Unite for Diabetes Travel Bug, for more information about the geocaching challenge you can view it here

Edited by avroair

Three cachers were randomly drawn to recieve balloon coins for logging race coins and helping them accomplish feats between December 16th and January 16th.

Congrats to:

Centocorianen for moving along Wilg's balloon coin

Programmer64 for moving along JustKidding1469's balloon coin

ktmapac for moving along Ranger216's balloon coin

Keep the coins moving! Good luck! :)

HayLin won an Around the World In 80 Caches geocoin at the Hogmanay Hangout event. It has turned out that the coin is 1 of 8 original proof coins, and is a collectors piece.

As this particular coin isn't trackable on GC.com she has donated it to go towards my fund raising page.

I have now listed the coin on ebay and I am hoping that collectors will bid a nice high sum for it?

If you are interested then please bid, or if you know any collectors that don't frequent the forums then please pass this message along to them.

O.k. - I'm fiiiiinally on the mend here and able to drop my little Xanadu Traveler on its merry way already. Dropped it in a pre-2002 cache (GC number but 617!) and managed to log it in at cachinggames.com

Question izzz...

How does one log the bonus feats. I've done both the Dec, and the Jan, but not at all sure how to log them at cachinggames.com in order to get the 10 pts. for the 2 bonuses.

Also, did you not say avroair m'dear - that you'd be posting each bonus on this PC5VNJ "80 Caches Bonus Coin" page? It seems to say that (as I recall) somewhere amid the cachinggames.com instructions, but - looks like you've only got the Dec. bonus listed.

In any case, how do we log these bonuses at cachinggames.com?

Question izzz...

How does one log the bonus feats. I've done both the Dec, and the Jan, but not at all sure how to log them at cachinggames.com in order to get the 10 pts. for the 2 bonuses.

I can try to answer that since we already logged the first Bonus Feat...

We logged it the same way as any other feat. The bonus feats are at the very bottom of the dropdown feat list. For the waypoint, we used the coins TB number.

I hope that answers your question.

Edited by Resolution

Question izzz...

I can try to answer that since we already logged the first Bonus Feat...

We logged it the same way as any other feat. The bonus feats are at the very bottom of the dropdown feat list. For the waypoint, we used the coins TB number.

I hope that answers your question.

That is correct, you can use a cache ID or the TB ID to log the feat, just like the others, the bonus feats will be available every 16th of the month. They are also posted here and as a note on the Around the World in 80 Caches wikipedia bug.

... the bonus feats will be available every 16th of the month. They are also posted here and as a note on the Around the World in 80 Caches wikipedia bug.

Thanks Resoltuion and Avroair. I just logged 'em both at cachinggames.com

But about that wikipedia bug page... The cachinggames.com rules page says the monthly feats will be posted on the PC5VNJ page, but... presently only the 1st Bonus Feat ( i.e. December/January) is noted there.

... the bonus feats will be available every 16th of the month. They are also posted here and as a note on the Around the World in 80 Caches wikipedia bug.

Thanks Resoltuion and Avroair. I just logged 'em both at cachinggames.com

But about that wikipedia bug page... The cachinggames.com rules page says the monthly feats will be posted on the TB5VNJ page, but... presently only the 1st Bonus Feat ( i.e. December/January) is noted there.

I had decided not to post to the bonus feat coin (but have since done so) since it is covered on both here, in the wikipedia and on cachinggames.com :D

Good to see yours is moving about and ready to get going!

I just had this question asked by a cacher and I'm not sure of the answer...

The rules state... "During the whole duration of the race, no geocacher may earn more than 3 feats for your racer."

Since the bonus feat can be claimed in addition to a regular feat (one move, two feats) does the bonus count towards the "3 feats" limit, or is it a bonus in that sense too?

Just wondering? If your coin is picked up by a cacher and they hold on to it for a month, can you claim a feat for not moving in a month?

Feat 27 :laughing:

The bonus feats are just that, but they still fall under the 3 feats rule, they are just an extra opportunity to log a feat.

But about that wikipedia bug page... The cachinggames.com rules page says the monthly feats will be posted on the PC5VNJ page, but... presently only the 1st Bonus Feat ( i.e. December/January) is noted there.

But about that wikipedia bug page... The cachinggames.com rules page says the monthly feats will be posted on the TB5VNJ page, but... presently only the 1st Bonus Feat ( i.e. December/January) is noted there.

I had decided not to post to the bonus feat coin (but have since done so) since it is covered on both here, in the wikipedia and on cachinggames.com :laughing:

Now I don't presume to have a clue about all this TB/coin logging stuff, but... avroair, it looks like for some reason you changed the tracking number link (see quote above) that I originally posted - from PC5VNJ to TB5VNJ and... the PC5VNJ link I posted works, while the TB5VNJ link you changed it to sends you to a page not found. Though I don't understand why, the TB number for the page is TB1AE1D, but the PC5VNJ will get you there as well. And it is the PC5VNJ that is posted in the rules for the game at cachinggames.com

In any case, thanks much for updating the TB1AE1D/PC5VNJ page with the 2nd bonus feat. That way I (and the other 42 folks watching the page) automatically get an enmail notification when you add each month's bonus feat.

Okay, I have a feat logging question...someone just picked up our coin and took a picture of it for the Jan feat. To log the feat, I must post the waypoint ID. The picture was taken at home, after she removed it from the cache (I already logged a feat for the cache that she picked it up out of). How do I log this? The action really is not associated with a cache. Should I wait until she places it in the next cache and log the feat for that cache?

Okay, I have a feat logging question...someone just picked up our coin and took a picture of it for the Jan feat. To log the feat, I must post the waypoint ID. The picture was taken at home, after she removed it from the cache (I already logged a feat for the cache that she picked it up out of). How do I log this? The action really is not associated with a cache. Should I wait until she places it in the next cache and log the feat for that cache?

For the feats, you can log the TB number instead of a Waypoint ID!