Around the World in 80 Caches

avroair

Step 1: retrieve your coin number here: Oakcoins Retrieval

Roger that, done days ago and received a code such as E3....IW. Trouble izzz... Firstly, I couldn't quite tell is the "I" was an "i" or a "1", but in any case, I then went to:

Step 2: activate your coin at geocaching.com here: Geocoin track

Tried to log it at gc.com and got a message "The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in this system". This, both for the code with an "i" as well as with a "1".

Worse, as true their word, the oakcoins.com site won't give me the code again, nor a new code (i.e. ...failure to receive a code could be due to... activation code has already been received..."

And worse still - I sent an email to oakcoins support 3 days ago and - haven't heard nary a peep back. :cry:

So... question izzz... what do I do now?

Step 1: retrieve your coin number here: Oakcoins Retrieval

Roger that, done days ago and received a code such as E3....IW. Trouble izzz... Firstly, I couldn't quite tell is the "I" was an "i" or a "1", but in any case, I then went to:

Step 2: activate your coin at geocaching.com here: Geocoin track

Tried to log it at gc.com and got a message "The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in this system". This, both for the code with an "i" as well as with a "1".

Worse, as true their word, the oakcoins.com site won't give me the code again, nor a new code (i.e. ...failure to receive a code could be due to... activation code has already been received..."

And worse still - I sent an email to oakcoins support 3 days ago and - haven't heard nary a peep back. :cry:

So... question izzz... what do I do now?

Jump up and down three times, put your left foot in, put your left foot out... try the code on the geocaching website with both the "i" and the "1"

Our coin is activated, we've joined the game. Now I have a question.

If we choose to start the race by placing the coin ourselves (as opposed to mailing it or giving it to someone else to place) can we claim points for its first feat? For example if on 12/16 (or after) we place our coin into GC23 which is a historic cache could we claim 9 points? Or if we stared it in a puzzle cache would that get us 3?

And if not, would giving our coin to another local cacher for the initial drop allow us to collect the points?

What about those who mail the coins elsewhere? Does their initial placement in a wheelchair accessible cache or a cache with travel bugs count as a feat?

Inquiring minds want to know. :cry:

JRR

First, good questions.

If we choose to start the race by placing the coin ourselves can we claim points for its first feat?

Yes, but only if it is placed after the race starts.

Example 1: Joe places his coin in a cache on December 16th to start the race. He then gets to cross off a feat

Example 2: Mary mails her coin before the race has started so another cacher can start her coin. She doesn't get to cross off a feat.

I will also allow people to log the coin into a local cache then mail it to another cacher to start the race, the movement won't count as a feat, but for those who like to keep track of the total miles it has traveled will be able to do so.

would giving our coin to another local cacher for the initial drop allow us to collect the points?

There is nothing wrong with finding a cache with another cacher, physically placing it in the cache (thus earning a feat) and having the other cacher pick it up out of the cache

What about those who mail the coins elsewhere? Does their initial placement in a wheelchair accessible cache or a cache with travel bugs count as a feat?

Yes, but remember each movement will only count for one feat so placing it in a wheelchair accessible cache with a travel bug in it, will face you with a dilema of which feat to check off

All movement before the race starts doesn't count so mailing to other places is fine. Feats will only start to earn points when the race starts... starting with the initial cache the balloon racer officially starts the race from.

Hope this answers the question.

Jump up and down three times, put your left foot in, put your left foot out... try the code on the geocaching website with both the "i" and the "1"

As I said (both earlier here, and in private email) yes, yes I already tried both ways at gc.com and continue to get a "The Travel Bug you requested does not exist in this system". Indeed, even whilst doing the Hokey Pokey - neither of the variations of the code oakcoins.com gave me work at gc.com.

And as I said, I tried sending a note to the oakcoins support email address, but - it's now been nearly a week and haven't received any reply. Clearly they need to give me a correct code so that I can activate the coin at gc.com.

Given that they produced the coins for you - perhaps you can contact them and see about getting the correct code for my coin?

Given that they produced the coins for you - perhaps you can contact them and see about getting the correct code for my coin?

I would be happy to.

15 days to go!

If anyone has anymore questions about the feats, how to log them etc, post them here so I can work through the questions.

Avroair

ATWI80C Coodinator

I would be happy to.

Thanks Avroair, but... I've now sent 2 emails (one at their support@oakcoins.com addy over a week ago, and another yesterday directly to oakcoins here in the forums.) Haven't heard back, but hopefully w/ your added help, I can get this coin activated so I can join the the game at cachinggames.com.

This may have already been asked, but for the Mileage. Is it cumulative or are they for a single move? Like for "moves over 5000 miles", do we check this after the coin has finally moved more than 5000 miles or only if the coin moves 5000 miles between two consecutive caches?

Thanks.

Good question. No it's not cumulative. It's from a single move.

only if the coin moves 5000 miles between two consecutive caches
(that's a toughie!)

This was done mainly because some people wanted to log the coin into a local cache but then start the race from somewhere else in the world.

12 days until race time!

Hope people enjoyed the coins as well as the added materials, they were fun to make. :(

I didn't get in on this funky race in time, so Ihaven't followed it too well, but I have some questions.

I saw some feats for distance traveled...does that include mailing distance? or does it have to be physical (carried by a cacher) distance?

If it is the latter, can the coins be mailed to a traveling cacher to carry out this feat?

If so....we're traveling from SC to NY on Wednesday (or from NY back to SC on the 17th), and would be happy to bring along travelers to place in upstate NY(or back in SC), I'd also be happy to try and accomplish feats for folks sicne I didn't get in on the fun of racing.

Quick question about the race (sorry if it's already been answered)

Can I, as the owner, earn points for the cache I start the coin in to begin the game?

Ie If I start the coin race by placing the balloon in a cache on top of a mountain, do I earn 3 points right off the bat?

Thanks!

I saw some feats for distance traveled...does that include mailing distance? or does it have to be physical (carried by a cacher) distance?

Physical, you can mail it to someone, but it doesn't count towards a feat --- the distance traveled is not cummulative, it's only for that one particular hop

If it is the latter, can the coins be mailed to a traveling cacher to carry out this feat?

Before the game starts yes, otherwise once it is set into the wild it goes where it wants to go. So, in short, no you can't mail it to people to accomplish feats and have it mailed back etc.

If so....we're traveling from SC to NY on Wednesday (or from NY back to SC on the 17th), and would be happy to bring along travelers to place in upstate NY(or back in SC), I'd also be happy to try and accomplish feats for folks sicne I didn't get in on the fun of racing.

If 'hands' you a racer to do feats before the time then, sure you are free to accomplish a feat for them. In the guidelines however it states:

If the same geocacher moves your coin more than once within a 24 hour period, or has consecutive logs then only the first movement counts towards earning feats and points. Therefore a geocacher cannot complete more than 1 feat in a row for you. Family members are considered a team, logging in and out is fine if they are separate accounts.

During the whole duration of the race, no geocacher may earn more than 3 feats for your racer

These guides are in place to discourage a single cacher monopolizing a racer and taking it around with them accomplishing all the feats on the list --- So if you are carrying a person's racer on your trip to NY (I hope you stop by and visit in Northern New Jersey!) --- you will only be able to accomplish 1 feat.

:DB):D First Bonus Feat! :(:(:D

First Bonus Feat Is Now Available!

Picture or photo of the Owner with their balloon racer coin --- this pic must be posted to the forum OR on your balloon racer page.

You can log this feat before you place your racer into a cache. (so you would get the bonus feat and a regular feat when it's placed into the first cache.

B):(B) First Bonus Feat! B)B)B)

Mark

Avroair

:DB)B) First Bonus Feat! :D:(B)

Picture or photo of the Owner with their balloon racer coin --- this pic must be posted to the forum OR on your balloon racer page.

You can log this feat before you place your racer into a cache. (so you would get the bonus feat and a regular feat when it's placed into the first cache.

:(:(:D First Bonus Feat! B)B)B)

Mark

Avroair

Okay, all registered and looking for how to log the feats on the site. I can't click on the feats themselves,and I didn't see a page to enter them. We're all set to log the first bonus feat...

I just signed up and the game page says there are 80 members in the game. Looks like I'm the 80th person? Cool!

That was planned of course! :wub::(:wub:

Ladies and Gentlemen --- start your balloon engines.

BTW you can log the bonus feat AND a feat for putting the coin into your first cache, but please do so after the game has started.

Game Opening Ceremonies Start at: 8 am EST (GMT -5) Dec 16th 2006

:wub::(:D First Bonus Feat! :(:wub::D

:D:D:D First Bonus Feat! :DB)B)

Mark

Avroair

How many points do we get for this bonus?

:(:D:( First Bonus Feat! :wub::D:D

:D:D:D First Bonus Feat! B)B)B)

Mark

Avroair

All monthly bonus feats are worth 5 points each. :wub:

c9fc5898-afec-401b-9075-0608779c46f9.jpg

B):)B):D:DB)B)B):D

You may now place your balloon traveler coins and earn feats!

Ladies and Gentlemen, girls and boys! Step right up to view the Great Geocoin game:

Around the World in 80 Caches!

To watch the game and leaderboard, sign up at:80 Caches Around the World Game

For more information about the game read the: Balloon Wikipedia

The balloon Leaderboard!

The game runs through to January 1st 2008, if you don't have a balloon racer, you can still partcipate by helping other racers accomplish goals and you can then have a chance to win your own balloon racer coin!

80 Feats list

And so it begins...

B):)B) First Bonus Feat! B)B)B)

:D:D:D First Bonus Feat! :DB)B)

Mark

Avroair

All monthly bonus feats are worth 5 points each. :D

Then you have to take a look at the game site, because I logged the bonus and got only 1 point B)

B)B)B) First Bonus Feat! B):D:D

:D:D:D First Bonus Feat! B)B)B)

Mark

Avroair

All monthly bonus feats are worth 5 points each. :)

Then you have to take a look at the game site, because I logged the bonus and got only 1 point B)

Apologies. I wasn't sure whether every bonus feat was worth 5 points. This has been corrected.

When logging the bonus feat, what is used for the waypoint ID?

Use the ID with the TB number for the coin.

FYI rules clarification since I have been asked by a couple of people:

"If the same geocacher moves your coin more than once within a 24 hour period, or has consecutive logs then only the first movement counts towards earning feats and points."

This is to prevent two cachers from alternating dropping and picking up over alot of different caches and monopolizing the racer.

Edited by avroair

It looks like the race ladder is scoring by AVERAGE points, NOT total points. There are 5 coins on the ladder, 4 have 1 point, and one has 2 points, but all are in position 1. (The 2 point coin has two points, so an average of 1.)

The average isn't what drives the leaderboard, there is also a points total one column to the left.

Position Member Balloon Feats Points Average

B)

A few questions! :rolleyes:

Guidelines state:

At the end of each month please submit all the names of geocachers who have helped to move your coin. A random drawing will occur with prizes for a couple of lucky winners.

Does this mean that each month we submit "all the names of geocachers" from the very start, or just the names from the current month?

How/where do we submit the names?

Does "end of the month" mean last day of month only?

Does this mean that each month we submit "all the names of geocachers" from the very start, or just the names from the current month?

Current month

How/where do we submit the names?

There is no need to do anything extra, just make sure you mark down who moved your coin when you accomplish and log the feat (there is a field in the feat logging form for that).

Does "end of the month" mean last day of month only?

By the end of the month --- example, if your coin moves on January 30th please try to log your feat before February 1st, since I will only be looking at January logs for the prize drawing. (it's not really that big a deal but would just like to save from the fuss if someone wins a January balloon when they logged in February etc.)

Here are the 80 Feats in an easier format to understand:

The number to the far left is the amount of points a feat is worth

Example: 7. coin is seen on a webcam = 7 points

Mileage

1. moves over 1 mile

2. moves over 10 miles

3. moves over 50 miles

4. moves over 100 miles

5. moves less than a mile

6. moves over 250 miles

7. moves over 500 miles

8. moves over 1000 miles

9. moves over 3000 miles

10. moves over 5000 miles

General Locations

1. crosses a province or state line

2. travels to an island

3. sits atop of a mountain

4. sits within a canyon or quarry

5. checks out a museum

6. visits a castle or fort

7. sits atop a tallest city building

8. visits a botanical garden

9. visits a zoo

10. visits a maze or labyrinth

Activity

1. moves withing 24 hour period

2. hasn’t moved in a week

3. moved 5 times milestone

4. moved by same cacher twice

5. moves twice within 24 hours

6. moved 10 times milestone

7. hasn’t moved in a month

8. moves 10 times in a month

9. moved 25 times milestone

10. moves 5 times in a week

Caches

1. placed in a travel bug hotel

2. placed in event cache

3. placed in puzzle cache

4. placed in new cache (7 days)

5. placed in multi cache

6. placed in wheel chair accessible

7. coin is seen on a webcam

8. placed in a difficulty or terrain 4+

9. historic cache (pre 2002)

10. placed in a project ape cache

The Coin

1. coin gets discovered

2. placed with another coin

3. placed with a travel bug

4. coin visits a cito event

5. coin is verified missing

6. coin visits a mega event

7. placed with another racer coin

8. meets a famous person

9. placed with 3 other coins

10. coin is missing then found

Hollywood

1. photo of coin by itself

2. photo of coin with a cacher

3. photo of the coin in nature

4. photo with a travel bug or jeep

5. photo of coin at a site of a memorial

6. photo at national monument/park

7. photo with another race coin

8. photo at waterfall

9. photo in the desert

10. photo with Groundspeak employee or admin

Unique Locations

1.visits a national or state capital

2. unique to the race, you choose (pick something)

3. visits a battle field or site

4. visits another country

5. visits a historic event site

6. unique to the race, you choose (pick something)

7. crosses the equator

8. goes to a different continent

9. crosses the prime meridian

10. visits a world heritage Site

Delivery

1. coin travels via motorcycle

2. coin takes a plane ride

3. coin takes a bicycle ride

4. coin travels on horseback

5. coin travels on a ship (not a boat)

6. coin goes gliding or parachuting

7. coin travels on a military vehicle or transport

8. coin is taken scuba diving

9. coin travels on a heritage railway

10. coin travels in a hot air balloon

Monthly Bonus Feats

5 points each

For lists and references to certain feats, refer to: Around the World in 80 Days Wikipedia: TB1ADWG

Mileage

1. moves over 1 mile :rolleyes:

2. moves over 10 miles

3. moves over 50 miles

4. moves over 100 miles

5. moves less than a mile :cool:

The list above is the one on the sheet we received with the race geocoins. But on the game site the list is as follow:

Mileage

1. moves less than a mile :)

2. moves over 1 mile :)

3. moves over 10 miles

4. moves over 50 miles

5. moves over 100 miles

Is this an official change of feats and points?