Around the World in 80 Caches

avroair

Ladies and Gentlemen, girls and boys! Step right up to view the Great Geocoin game:

b33d1d08-dbfa-47f1-8ce6-6c644a80acf4.jpg

Many of you who bought race packs should be recieving them in the mail over the next couple of days. The game officially begins 8:00 EST (Midnight GMT) on December 16th. I have set up a Balloon Wikipedia as an evolving game reference, please feel free to add it to your watchlist for updates and announcements.

Where to go

The game's balloon tracking, feat logging, leaderboard and balloon world map will be handled by Cachinggames. The site is free, but you will have to register and log in to keep track of your racer (instructions provided below). This thread can also be used by racers, race attendees, race watchers and the general public to discuss the game.

Instructions:

http://www.cachinggames.com/]Caching Games[/url]

Click on Login to CachingGames Join

Provide your member Name (generally the same as your geocaching nickname), email address, password, home co-ordinates, home country and home state. Read more about providing information at the FAQ's.

Once your have provided your details, you will remain logged in to CachingGames.com until your log out.

You can then go to the Around the World in 80 Caches Game Page directly or via the link on the current games page.

Once you are logged in, you have to join this game click on the Join This Game link.

You are now free to enter the details of your Around the World in 80 Days Balloon Create Balloon This information is used on the ladder so others can see your balloon in the race.

To log your accomplished feats click on the Log Your Feats link and enter the details.

You can track your progress against others or just see how people are doing in general by viewing the Ladder where you can also see the general location of other racers in the game on the map.

Note: On the 16th of each month, a bonus feat to accomplish will be added and will remain in place throughout the time period of the game.

Even if you are not racing, you can participate by moving a racer coin and helping them accomplish goals. For helping out you will then be entered in a monthy drawing to win free coins for yourself.

Racers, start your balloon engines! Good luck!

Avroair

Race Coordinator :huh:

We got our balloons today!

It will be PARENTS v. KIDS at our house!

So watch our balloons fly!

EDIT: I am having trouble with the Caching Games page.....it will only let me enter one balloon. But we have 2, I do not want to make another account. Also the game is not on the mail page of the website.

Edited by ParentsofSAM
I am having trouble with the Caching Games page.....it will only let me enter one balloon. But we have 2, I do not want to make another account.

I will talk to the webmaster to see what we can do. You may need to sign up twice.

Also the game is not on the mail page of the website.

It is listed in the Racer Balloon Wikipedia I didn't want to add it to the mailer since we are just finalizing the game mechanics in the website.

Ours were in the mailbox when i arrived home today! :ph34r:

Can´t wait to set it free in the wild world :anicute: .

I still have so e doubts. In the Hollywood feat when you say "memorial site" and "national monument/park" are you talking of a memorials of monuments/parks in the US or all around the world? I believe that it´s all around the world but i have to get this clear.

Also, in Hollywood´s number 10,what do you mean as a employee or admin??

All the rest seems perfectly clear.

Let´s start the engines. :P .. uhoh :laughing: where are the engines in this thing :ph34r: ??

We got our balloons today!

It will be PARENTS v. KIDS at our house!

So watch our balloons fly!

EDIT: I am having trouble with the Caching Games page.....it will only let me enter one balloon. But we have 2, I do not want to make another account. Also the game is not on the mail page of the website.

Sorry, the game engine only allowed for one ballon per member.

As membership is free, please signup with a 2nd user name (say ParentsofSAM2 or KidsofSAM) and one balloon attached to each member.

Regrettably I didn't notice that this was possible until after the game engine had been released, so I apologise for the inconvenience.

I am having trouble with the Caching Games page.....it will only let me enter one balloon. But we have 2, I do not want to make another account.

I will talk to the webmaster to see what we can do. You may need to sign up twice.

Also the game is not on the mail page of the website.

It is listed in the Racer Balloon Wikipedia I didn't want to add it to the mailer since we are just finalizing the game mechanics in the website.

'tis now. :laughing:

avroair and I were in beta test when the game was announced, so he beat me to the punch.

I'm based in Australia so I was 16 hours behind (or 8 hours ahead, or something) avroair.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm a one man operation who does this all for fun, so if you notice something wrong, bring it to our attention and we will get it fixed ASAP.

is there a simple feats list online that I can print out to add to my coin? Photocoping the orig will result in a grey background.

There is a list on the wikipedia which can be accessed: here

Please feel free to sign up for the game to watch the leaderboard.

FYI: For those of you who have contacted me about not getting your balloon race pack in the mail yet, they were ALL mailed on the same day. Domestic on Friday and International on Thursday. The hold up may be customs or the mail service. Sorry about the delay.

Mine came today. I have a bunch of questions.

Answered:

You can launch it from your home and mail it to start the race somewhere else BEFORE the race starts on December 16th. If you lose your coin in a cache and don't want to launch your duplicate coin making a copy would be fine.

Edit: Icon will be ready when Groundspeak reopens after Thanksgiving.

Edited by avroair

I think the site has some starters problems. I think I'll wait a few days.

What do you fill in for ID ? Is it the tracking number?

cachinggames.com webmaster here.

Yes, please use the tracking number for your balloon.

It will then appear on the ladder so others can see what your balloon has been up to

Um, the tracking number is supposed to be secret otherwise anyone can virtually log a coin (or travel bug) at any time, which is a no-no. I used the TB# assigned to the coin by geocaching.com. That accesses the coins page, but doesn't disclose the tracking number to people who do not have the coin in their possession.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Can we just use the winners circle coin as a racer to?

Sure, but it has a different tracking number and tracking page --- i have no problem with this myself,

I used the TB# assigned to the coin by geocaching.com. That accesses the coins page, but doesn't disclose the tracking number to people who do not have the coin in their possession.

Using the travel bug number is best. When you are creating a balloon you are prompted to enter Balloon ID: which should be the TB number. And a Balloon Name, which is your choice.

Sorry for the confusion I will ask caughtatwork to clarify it on the page

Edited by avroair

It will then appear on the ladder so others can see what your balloon has been up to

Um, the tracking number is supposed to be secret otherwise anyone can virtually log a coin (or travel bug) at any time, which is a no-no. I used the TB# assigned to the coin by geocaching.com. That accesses the coins page, but doesn't disclose the tracking number to people who do not have the coin in their possession.

I did the same.

I did the same.

So did I

Can we just use the winners circle coin as a racer to?

Sure, but it has a different tracking number and tracking page --- i have no problem with this myself,

I used the TB# assigned to the coin by geocaching.com. That accesses the coins page, but doesn't disclose the tracking number to people who do not have the coin in their possession.

Using the travel bug number is best. When you are creating a balloon you are prompted to enter Balloon ID: which should be the TB number. And a Balloon Name, which is your choice.

Sorry for the confusion I will ask caughtatwork to clarify it on the page

Apologies for the confusion. I got my terminology mixed up.

A fix has been released so you can ONLY enter a TB number.

If you attempt to enter the PC number, it won't be accepted.

Am I allowed to let the coins be discovered before the 16th of December?

No, since that's a feat :laughing:

I thought these baloons would have there own icon, but that is not the case

It is the case. They haven't been updated to reflect the icon. They will get updated soon after the Thanksgiving holiday.

All RIIIIIIGHT! Glad to see you set the game up on cachinggames.com avroair (and nice to chat by telly). Surely much more fun to be able to track all the trinkets as they soar to 'n fro. Got my pretties and they are truly splendid - thanks! However...

Am I blind, or just a dolt? For the life of me, I don't see any gc.com TB activation number nowhere - neither on the tags nor the packaging. Admittedly I've been (voluntarily) out of the TB sandbox for a goodly while, and dunno how all these trinkets are now managed. The TB tags have no tracking number and the packaging directs to oakcoins.com to activate. Are these not gc.com TB's? Clicking on the oakcoins "Coin Activation" sends me to a page that says I should go to geocaching.com to activate. But alas, I have no activation number save the PC number on the coin.

Could someone please clarify just how these travelin' trinkets work? i.e. "...I used the TB# assigned to the coin by geocaching.com..." - wherzzzat? :P

I have a spare race pack that I am willing to trade.

Please see my seeking list HERE. My main interest is personal coins, and they're not necessarily all on my seeking list.

The race pack has two race coins with the same code (one to race, and one to keep or use as a spare), two other different coins (to keep), a pin, and two tags (like TB tags).

The price for all of this was very reasonable, so the trade would be 2-3 coins, depending on the coins.

Am I blind, or just a dolt? For the life of me, I don't see any gc.com TB activation number nowhere - neither on the tags nor the packaging. Admittedly I've been (voluntarily) out of the TB sandbox for a goodly while, and dunno how all these trinkets are now managed. The TB tags have no tracking number and the packaging directs to oakcoins.com to activate. Are these not gc.com TB's? Clicking on the oakcoins "Coin Activation" sends me to a page that says I should go to geocaching.com to activate. But alas, I have no activation number save the PC number on the coin.

Step 1: retrieve your coin number here: Oakcoins Retrieval

Step 2: activate your coin at geocaching.com here: Geocoin track

Step 3: armed with the TB# that appears on your coin page goto: Caching Games Create a login account and then choose to join the game: Around the World in 80 caches

Step 4: Goto the "create a balloon page" and enter in the TB number assigned to your coin, NOT the PC number and enter your coin's name.

Bookmark the leaderboard page so you can quickly refer to it.

So far we have 41 registered racers (out of 125!) :anitongue:

Edited by avroair

Couple of clarifications....

- Historic cache. Does pre 2002 make it historic cause you mean historic to geocaching? Or do you mean a cache with real world historic value that happened to be placed before 2002?

- Meets a famous person As in hollywood/music/sports famous? Or geocaching famous?

- Visits a world heritage site. Huh? Can you define?

- Photo with employee or admin. Are you referring to Groundspeak here?

- Coin travels on a ship. Would any kind of boating adventure qualify? Or do you mean an actual cruise ship/military ship?

Thanks again avroair the Racers arrived in australia a few days ago and they are lovely!

Thanks again caughtatwork - the website looks fantastic! Love those little maps and all the stats you do. A shameless plug - the game above it Devils in danger needs another international player to even things up

wikipedia trivia:

"Although a journey by hot air balloon has become one of the images most strongly associated with [Around the worldin 80 days] the story, this iconic symbol was never deployed in the book by Verne himself - the idea is briefly brought up in chapter 32, but dismissed, it "would have been highly risky and, in any case, impossible." However the popular 1956 movie adaptation Around the World in Eighty Days floated the balloon idea, and it has now become a part of the mythology of the story, even appearing on book covers."

Historic cache

Historic to geocaching. It's just a term used instead of old cache. A cache placed before 2002, ie- it goes into a cache placed during 2000 or 2001. This might be easier in some regions more than others.

Meets a famous person

Open to interpretation here, someone who is well-known, but yes, you could also apply to a well-known geocacher. If I haven't heard of them then it don't count. :laughing:

Visits a world heritage site.

The Official List of WHC

Another List

Photo with employee or admin. Are you referring to Groundspeak here?

Yep. Anyone who works or volunteers for Groundspeak

Coin travels on a ship.

Boat adventure would not qualify, however, if you feel that it meets the criteria then justify it in your feat log. Something like a canoe trip isn't going to make it, however a trip on a large paddle boat at disney would.

Yes. It would have to be classed as a ship --- so no small boats, canoes etc.

a vessel, a large oceangoing one propelled by sails or engines.

a sailing vessel square-rigged on all of three or more masts, having jibs, staysails, and a spanker on the aftermost mast.

I would also include an airship or spaceship. :rolleyes:

Edited by avroair