What Are the Cache Find Milestones?

We have been caching for a while and hope to reach our 100th find by the end of the year. So we were wondering, what are the significant cache find levels? What should we be celebrating: 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000? I've seen special geocoins for different levels and other paraphernalia. I know all caches are special :P, but what are the core, always celebrate, "you have achieved greatness" find cache find levels?

We have been caching for a while and hope to reach our 100th find by the end of the year. So we were wondering, what are the significant cache find levels? What should we be celebrating: 100, 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 3000? I've seen special geocoins for different levels and other paraphernalia. I know all caches are special :D, but what are the core, always celebrate, "you have achieved greatness" find cache find levels?

Prime numbers only! :P

I'm at 99 right now. I'm trying to pick an unusual cache as my 100th, but other than that I'm not doing anything special to celebrate as such. Well, that's not quite true - I set myself a rule that I wouldn't hide any caches until I had found 100, so that I'd have a fair idea of what constitutes a good hide. So at some point in the next week or two I'll hopefully be hiding one.

...I set myself a rule that I wouldn't hide any caches until I had found 100, so that I'd have a fair idea of what constitutes a good hide. So at some point in the next week or two I'll hopefully be hiding one.

Watch out! Hiding caches can be as addictive as finding them.

In the early years hitting 100 was pretty significant. ... and for many of us still is... As more caches have become available it's been easier to rack up numbers quickly.

I like the idea of treating the first hundreds (100, 200, 300...) as special. After that, the 500's mark seems to add a lot of weight to the ol' tote board (1000, 1500, 2000...).

But enjoy them any way you want. I know how hard I have to struggle just to get one or two a month.

I was very pleased when I hit the 100 DNF mark, and the 123 DNF mark, and now the 111 hide mark. I should have noticed 2345 finds, but I don't think I did... I'm looking forward to 50 and then 100 events attended (this from a person who woke up spouse to point out that the clock/thermometer was reading 44.44 at 4:44...., it's a sickness).

You can celebrate any number you want - or none. It is up to you.

Congratulations on your hundreth (in advance) and your (insert number here).

Exactly :P

Generally I think people 'note' the numbers ending in zeros (100, 200, 300, 1000, etc00), but you should celebrate whenever you want.

I'm in agreement with Torry. I think every hundred up to the first 1000 seems like an achievement to me. After that, well, to me 1200 doesn't have the same pizzazz as 1500, so I'll probably focus on the caches divisible by 500 after that. I dunno, perhaps weird numbers like 2222 will appeal to me also. But that's just me--you can throw a victory party for every 21 if you want--Your stats, your call.

Here's hoping you enjoy every single one!

Generally I think people 'note' the numbers ending in zeros (100, 200, 300, 1000, etc00), but you should celebrate whenever you want.

This seems, to me, to be the most common also. However, I have seen people that would make note of every 50th (50, 100, 150, 200.....)

I've also seen people keep track of not only first to finds, but second and even third to find....

Basically, what you celebrate is up to you. Personally, I remember my first cache (easily, without looking) and keep a list of the 100, 200, 300, etc. I may or may not do something special for a "milestone" other than keeping track of what cache it was.

Really has changed over time - It took me a bit over 2 years to get to 100 and I was proud of that. Now I regularly get 25 a month and don't think too much of it. Still I celebrate all the even 100's. Still very rural around me - there were 5 within 100 miles when I started and now there are about 225. I have put on a lot of miles in the Jeep to get where I am.

It really is up to you. There is no set rule or standard. The only milestone of mine that I paid any attention to was number 1000. I made a point of getting that one with my boyfriend and some caching friends and we all arranged to hit milestones at the same cache (three of us hit 1000 and one hit 1500).

Edited by carleenp

100 was huge. 200, 300, 400 were celebrated. 500 was huge. After that, I didn't much care until I got to 1,000. After that, I didn't much care until I got to 2,000. (I made an exception by making a big deal out of #1,700, but that was only because of finding that cache with a good friend.)

I went to a lot of trouble pushing to log #2,000 on an event cache. That meant finding #1,999 right before the event. I got tired of chasing numbers and being upset at DNF's because they kept me from getting to that goal. As a result of that, I will not care very much about my overall find count again until it is maybe 2,500 or 3,000 or 5,000, or maybe never.

I am more interested right now in milestones like number of states cached, number of counties in my home state cached, number of DeLorme Map Grids cached, etc. Since it is so easy to run up big numbers very close to home, these other statistics hold more appeal for me.

I don't typically keep track of my numbers to much. And I certainly don't worry about what cache to do as a milestone. When I started I did but then as I "matured" in my caching I changed things in my logging habits and have deleted cache finds because of a change in philosophy. For instance I just deleted two "armchair" finds resulting in a change to what cache was my 800, 900, 1000 etc find.

#100 was the first milestone.

#500 was also which was celebrated with a commereration cache called "D"

#1000 was mixed in with a handfull of caches while hiking up a mountain in Washington, so the achievement of the milestone was offset by the fact I was hiking with a buch of great folks.

Now as I am approaching #2000 I wasn't paying much attention until I realized that the Roman Numerals for 2000 is MM.

Rule One. Celebrate what you want. They are your milestones after all.

What I pay attention to is this.

1, It got you started.

When posting congrads I don't really mess with anything other than those.

There are some that celebrate every 100 finds as they blow through 100 a week. I think they are more publicity hounds than really caring about milestones.

Edited by Renegade Knight

100 was one we were at first very anxious to reach. We got it on our 42nd day of caching as a family.

We always have best intentions of doing something special for a milestone but we have found that we are not patient people with regards to this hobby. Once we research a cool cache that we want to do for a milestone, we end up running out and getting it the next weekend instead.

We were going to save Ebey Bluffs for our 1000th cache but ended up doing it a couple of weeks ago after having read so many neat things about it. Life it to short to wait for a milestone to do a special cache.

If you look at our profile, you will see that we end up doing utterly unremarkable caches for our milestones.

1000 is still at this point the milestone I am really looking forward to celebrating sometime next spring. That is the one that will mean something to me personally. Only time will tell ifwe end up doing something special for that one. The way things are going now, I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by Blue Power Ranger

Here are some out of date numbers to look at while considering milestones:

Jeremy on numbers May '04

I'd be curious about the shift in those numbers over the years.

This is interesting... I just did some numbers crunching and figured out that the number of finds of the top cacher has gone up by approx 3.3 times since then. I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but the number of finds of the bottom cacher has also gone up by a multiple of 3.3!!!

It used to matter somewhat, but not really any more. For my 1000, I had planned on doing a cache that was placed by the same cacher who placed my first cache, but it did not work out that way. There were too many other caches along the trail and I hit 1000 before getting the the one I had planned on. :huh: LOL