Forums

I seldom post on the boards these days having got my fingers burnt, (I copied this from another thread)

I posted something very similar to this several days ago, I then wrote a long reply in another thread I thought I could help with and after hind thought I deleted it.. :D

Alibags posted something about all the threads being twisted around or made to be rude. ;)

What I am trying to get at is .. why have these forums changed so much? (or have they or is it just me?) :D

I have wanted to reply to lots of threads lately and have not bothered because it always seems to me that it is somehow turned around to bite you.

If you look back say 6 months there are so many cachers who used to reply in here day in and day out who do no use the forum any more, I am here most days but very rarely reply to anything and I don't log in I just read the threads and leave, I too have been bitten and had replies twisted and been embarrassed or shown up and it's not nice. :P

Sooo is it just me or have these forums changed over the past months, even before I hit the send button I know I am gonna get chit, (this is the reason myself and others just don't bother any more) but I am sure I will get some sensible answers too. :P

I have just re-read my post and I don't think I have worded this very well, but I am sure you will get my drift.

Mandy :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

:D

Yeah I think it was some of the heat from the past few months that have drove folks away, it does seem calmer than earlier in the year, but folks have not forgotten, and once bitten twice shy and all that :P

I did not mean there were arguments or heated debates at the moment,

M :D

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

I think it goes in cycles. They have been some pretty ugly topics, you just never know what it's going to be about or who's driving it.

Around January there is usually a year-in-review thread that covers the hot topics.

Personally, I don't think the last few months is as bad as it has been before.

None that I am going to post on here Tony, and get myself into chit, but I can think of several caching teams who used to frequent the forums regularly but don't any more, and I do know of 3 teams who have actually said to me they can't be bothered with the arguing, bitching and back stabbing so they don't bother any more. :P

My opening post was not meant to be a hind sight of what has happened previously, I was taking my thoughts from threads I have read in the past few days, not based on the heated debates of earlier in the year.

I do not want to get into an argument with you or anyone else, these are just my thoughts. :D

There are many many new cachers now that keep the forums going on a day to day basis, I was just wondering where the longer standing cachers i used to talk to 1-2 years ago had gone. :D

I would just like to come in here and ask a question and get an answer or two and that is that, but I don't like to ask questions now because I know I am going to be made out to be stupid or have the question twisted in some way, like I say this is just my opinion

M

I think the forums are pretty much as they always have been... and not just geocaching forums but all forums. I am sure we have all seen the 'what sort of forum poster are you' humour, but it is true, you can recognise definate types. I reckon all in these forums are not that bad... I have seen some terrible ones.

Perhaps the only real difference I have seen recently is that as the geocaching community expands, an increasing number of us have actually met each other, and perhaps newbies don't always appreciate the... lets call it 'robust style of debate and humour' that some of us share.

Pragmatically, I am not convinced that there is a way to resolve this perceived problem. Entreaties to all to "play nicely together" are not going to work. Getting the mods to be 'Moderators' in a more strict sense of the word is neither fair on them (I am sure they have better things to be doing) nor would a Big Brother approach by the mods (in the Orwellian sense rather than the cheap plastic C4 imitation) be palatable to a majority of us either, I suspect. Even more to the point, who will moderate the moderators? That sort of thing just does not work.

I tend to rely on the inherent good sense of my fellow forum-ites. I dont think that there is a desire to have any nastiness in here.... as I said before, the discussion may be 'to the point' at times, but I am also pretty sure that 99% of it is not inspired by malice. We would soon identify and weed out anybody who appeared to malicious.

I've been on several forums over the years and have heard the same lament over and over again.

Think of it like it's a local pub: When you first start going there you are rather left alone and timid. If you mind your manners and are interesting to the folks in the room you become part of the crowd after a while. Quite often you'll bump heads with one of the other regulars who thinks that perhaps you don't understand that the third seat from the end is "HIS" and when he comes in you are expected to vacate it immediately - even if that means you have to go stand by the window.

After a few visits you get comfortable, you get your regular spot at the corner table. You learn who's-who and what's-what. Maybe you become the house expert on German automatic transmissions and 18th century Japanese pottery.

You had noticed a few arguments and scuffles in your early days but never paid attention to the folks who left afterwards... on down the road, however you've come to know everyone and you notice such things...

Then one day you walk in and someone is sitting in "Your" spot .. you glare... grumble.. and one of the other regulars taps the offender on the elbow and whispers an explanation... the "newbie" surrenders the spot ... or not ... Later another fella, cocky a can be, opines that Japanese potter Taru Masamune was a hack compared to Satoshi Honda .. Loudly, no less....

Wellllllllllll, then .. now it's on... and what a crappy place this pub has become ... and what a bunch of blinkin' idiots and officious bastiches ... and, wellllllllll .. you'll show them... You'll find a new pub. You won't stop drinkin' but you WILL find a nwe place to hang out ...

Annndddddddddd ... you make sure that you announce so - LOUDLY - and head off to your new pub... and whenever you see any of your old mates you'll make sure that they know how horrible the place had become and that it probably got worse after you left.

Meanwhile, back at the pub ... a new customer walks in, looks around, likes what he sees and takes a seat at the corner table...

trouble is emails fail to utilise 80% of how we communicate. visually. so simple errors are made.

the more people that cache mean that there are more people to get the wrong impression or just to the wrong conclusion and hence the heated "debate" kicks off.

ultimately though why avoid coming here just because of a few flames? doesn't do you any harm and just proves we are all still alive and not ready for the grave yet.

keep coming. to allow a few loud mouths to put you off just means the forums die. the pub changes from being a friendly place to a rough dump that normal people are nervous to walk past let alone go in.

i agree the forums of late are much different to how they were when i first started looking at them. less heated less informative and ultimately less helpful. although i find them still very useful ,just longer to resolve some problems etc. i still look at them at least once a day though to see if i can help in peoples questions.

i think they will return to their former glory at some stage. they can be bit of a roller coaster.

i'm not asking for the heat to return far from it,but a few more people posting and helping might increase the the readers and contributors. :P

Generally I think things are GOOD. The forums here vary from the inane and entertaining to the informative and essential. The mods do a good job leaving most posts to develop or peter out.

I see little evidence of egos being bruised. I dont see a vast number of newbies, but thats simply perhaps because their late arrival at the ball cautions a certain diffidence. Maybe they dont even know we exist!

Many of the 'ol stalwarts still post and I really enjoy their sounding off even if I dont agree. Wouldn't it be boring if all wore the same colour green anorak, the same ageing booties and wore the same pair of glasses, even had the same dog ( though it seems there are already lots of black labradors ).

I'm looking forward to the next person to attempt to stir the hornet's nest.

Edited by kewfriend

Mandy I agree with you, all I'll say as a reply to you is think Marmite! ;)

We would soon identify and weed out anybody who appeared to malicious.

I wish that was so true, but sadly it isn't. Luckily those that need to know, now know it isn't a figment of my imagination and have also been on the mailicious receiving end of a certain individual. :P

Torry nice explanation. :D:D:D

Hi Mandy, I know exactly what you are getting at. However as Mod of this forum I have the pleasure (?! :P ) or reading most threads. Also it's me who has to clamp down on things if they get too heated so I guess I'm fairly well qualified to judge the state of it.

My impression is that it's very much quieter than it used to be and I rarely have to "rap knuckles" these days. I suspect that Lost In Space has a valid point and that "old hands" perhaps get a little bored with the discussions and move elsewhere. This leaves all our new friends to discuss the same things that people did a year or two ago but they have the advantage of coming to the discussions fresh.

So feel free to contribute without fear of provoking a backlash :D

And BTW Torrey, I love your Pub analogy, I think it is very accurate!

Meanwhile, back at the pub ... a new customer walks in, looks around, likes what he sees and takes a seat at the corner table...

Is that you, the lost American tourist who's stumbled into a remote country pub and stares and stares at the English beers deciding which one to go for? :D Superb analogy BTW.

I have been away for quite some time from the forums and to be honest when I started reading the threads the other day to me it felt like nothing changed. The humour is still the same, the same old moaners are still the same, the same newbie questions appear (with the usual reply of 'use the search function first!') and the same people who love to stir and antagonise are well, still stirring and antagonising!

I see this forum as a place for fellow cachers to meet, discuss, argue and generaly vent their spleen. A kind of escape valve for the steam engine boiler of gc.com. Sometimes people take it all personally, sulk and never come back, but the majority know its just all words and calm down. I think it all really just boils down to how thick your skin is and what your sense of humour is like :P

I have learned a lot from the cachers on this forum, and thank them for their patience in their answering of my questions, and of course for their help for others.

This is a great forum and one of the reasons I keep coming back to it is because it is so active and alive. I only post though if I feel I have something to say which is often not very much.

I wish other forums sere as active as I've been trying to get a response from a totally unrelated subject elsewhwere. (Any Sequence Dancing Geocachers out there :huh: )

I must admit to being frightened off in the past, when I saw some of the comments peole were getting, but now I'm getting brave and have started making a few posts in here. :(

I think most of the problems come from people missreading the nature of the post and taking offence when none was meant :( but that is part and parcel of the ditgital age, No body language in here :(

I do regulaly post in the quieter forums though :huh:

Thanks to everyone for their replies and their opinions :(

Torry I thought your reply was excellent and I must have a funny way of thinking as it amade perfecet sense to me and I totally understood it and agreed with you. :(

I would like to reiterate that I was not commenting on the heated debates of earlier in the year/late last year, but on threads I have read recently.

I think Hazel and Ali and Lost in Space could be right too that the "old hands" don't comment as much because they have seen all the question asked over and over again.

But I still think some answers to some questions are twisted and sometimes sarcastic to even (dare I say it) rude, maybe I'm a softie Northerner :huh: (that will give John a laugh)

Anyway as per usual this is just my opinion, thanks again for all the replies, and I only seem to have aquired a slightly singed a**e :(

Mandy :(

This is a great forum and one of the reasons I keep coming back to it is because it is so active and alive. I only post though if I feel I have something to say which is often not very much.

I wish other forums sere as active as I've been trying to get a response from a totally unrelated subject elsewhwere. (Any Sequence Dancing Geocachers out there :huh: )

As a member of the Dancing Samurai I know where you will get your Sequence Dancing question answered :(

PM on its way

OK... cat among the pigeons here...

Am I the only cacher that has got bored of seeing the same things in here and so has moved onto the chat room, where questions can be answered almost immediately, and where EVERYONE is made to feel loved and welcommed...???? **

Just a thought and an observation of my own behaviour!!!!!!!!!

(**especially by Badger's hugs, and Mrs Blorenge's never ending teapot!)

Edited by HazelS
not everyone has the means to go off caching at the drop of a hat, event after event, setting records and the like.

Like me then :(

I got flamed on here once because I dont own a car! :( Didnt take it personally though.... :huh::D:(

I still attend events when I can and have met some wonderfull people. One thing that can be said about the forum is that it is nice to put names to faces. And how quiet some people are in the flesh outside the Forum/chat room. I havent been able to cache for a month now as I'm running out of caches to find in a sparse cache area so this forum is keeping me from going nuts :( (wibble wibble petang!)

Edited by Alice Band
not everyone has the means to go off caching at the drop of a hat, event after event, setting records and the like.

Like me then :(

I got flamed on here once because I dont own a car! :( Didnt take it personally though.... :huh::D:(

I still attend events when I can and have met some wonderfull people. One thing that can be said about the forum is that it is nice to put names to faces. And how quiet some people are in the flesh outside the Forum/chat room. I havent been able to cache for a month now as I'm running out of caches to find in a sparse cache area so this forum is keeping me from going nuts :( (wibble wibble petang!)

You'll have to go out and place some instead then! Much respect to you for not owning a car!!

<snip> I dont own a car! <snip>

Me neither, however, I was blessed with the most wonderful piece of luck earlier this year, while telling a friend who is a taxi driver about caching ... actually, I diverted her when she was driving me somewhere, along the lines of "there's a loo at McDonalds if you need it" when what I really meant was, "there's a cache near McDonalds I could get, wanna stop"?

... and another cacher was born! :huh:

I got flamed on here once because I dont own a car! :huh: Didnt take it personally though.... :(:(:(

I would not describe that as 'flamed' Alice. I think you gave as good as you got on that occasion :( ... but actually your post prompts me to link to a certain previous topic which seems to disprove that things are 'worse' in there than previously. That was previously and it all got very silly indeed.

<snip> I dont own a car! <snip>

Me neither, however, I was blessed with the most wonderful piece of luck earlier this year, while telling a friend who is a taxi driver about caching ... actually, I diverted her when she was driving me somewhere, along the lines of "there's a loo at McDonalds if you need it" when what I really meant was, "there's a cache near McDonalds I could get, wanna stop"?

... and another cacher was born! :huh:

Nor me!!

Just some wonderful kind caching friends!

Chat room, forum I think people should guard against flippant "off the cuff" remarks, remember to welcome newbies, and also remember, not everyone has the means to go off caching at the drop of a hat, event after event, setting records and the like. There is a great danger of becoming too cliquey ...

Hmmm

I'm not sure I understand your remarks....

The chat room always welcomes newbies....

I seldom go caching at, or after events......

I enjoy events - THAT's why I go - but you don't HAVE to go to events as muh as you don't HAVE to post on here..........

I've never in my life set a record, nor am I likely to..........

I just enjoy the companmy of other chatters who happen to be cachers.... It's not cliquey in there - ask any of the relativly new chatters - they will tell you that we have welcomed each and every one of them!

I've made some great friends caching... better friends than some I've had for almost 20 years!

Edited by HazelS

<snip>

Hmmm

I'm not sure I understand your remarks....

Hazel, I am not sure you did either!

However, your reply exquisitely illustrated the point of the OP. Your reply seems to suggest that you felt somehow there was a dig at you personally, when there was none at all ...

Sometimes we all need to take a step back and try and imagine how our comments are to be perceived by others, particularly those who are perhaps not in ones immediate circle and don't understand the "in" jokes and comments.

I think sometimes we all all capable of "getting on with our own business" and forgetting that not everyone is in the same position.

Am I the only cacher that has got bored of seeing the same things in here and so has moved onto the chat room, where questions can be answered almost immediately

You mean people actually talk about geocaching in there?

T

That's just daft we talk about bacon butties all the time :laughing:

We DO always talk about food inthere - and TEA

Am I the only cacher that has got bored of seeing the same things in here and so has moved onto the chat room, where questions can be answered almost immediately

You mean people actually talk about geocaching in there?

T

That's just daft we talk about bacon butties all the time :laughing:

What's a bacon butty and why does it sound like fun?

I would not describe that as 'flamed' Alice. I think you gave as good as you got on that occasion :ph34r:

Really? I've been told you're one of the people who avoids me like the plague when I'm at events looking for lifts :ph34r::anicute::) And you happily shoot me down in flames on other forums too, so it looks like pigs really DO fly :P:):laughing:

I would love to place more caches but a car is needed - there are some lovely places near me but there is only so far the local bus route will take someone. If any other car-less cacher has Arriva buses then I recommend their one day 'Go everywhere' ticket. Only costs £4 and its unlimited travel on all Arriva buses in all regions.

Edited by Alice Band

- just the same things get brought up time and again!

I'll second that and raise "the inane drivel" (- what colour socks do you wear when geocaching)?

Personally, I like a good flame war particularly when you know what will inflame the participants! :laughing::ph34r:

I'm quite supprised no one has started a thread asking

" Are you a left or a right handed Geocacher?" cos it's no more stupid than some of the threads :anicute:

I dont bother much nowadays reading them . I dont bother much with going geocaching. just a few a year now if I'm passing them. It's changed so much sinse the early days, car bugs ,dog bugs people bugs and loads of micro's that take you to somewhere totaly grotty thats used by druggies, or toilet spots. No thought going into where to place them

Nige :ph34r: