Geocache alone

mikev1963

About 75% of my finds are with my wife and kids - the other 25% are all alone. Really depends on the terrain and my preperation as to whether I thought it was safe to go alone. I carry quite a bit of gear and a decently stocked daypack in the Jeep to be prepared. In any case I always let somebody know where I am going.

This game will take you to many different types of areas. From inner city parks to deep woods trails. Some caches would be right at home on a "worlds most extreme sports" tv show. some are a trip to the store. You have to asses the risks of each cache as they come. If at any time you don't feel safe walk away.

About two thirds of my finds are by myself. It's as safe as you make it. You can let someone know where you're going and bring a cell phone, but as long as you pack appropriately you'll be fine. Water, munchies, batteries etc. If you're new to hiking, start with easier ones and work your way up to your own comfort level.

I do about half my caching alone. Its as safe as walking down the street or hiking in the woods alone.

The key is to have a little common sense. If something doesn't feel right, turn around. Same as any other outdoor activity.

I've been on over 300 solo cache hunts and have hiked hundreds of miles alone and have felt the need to turn around maybe twice.

On another note, I see you are in Rockaway. You're in luck because that puts you within a half hour drive of some great geocaching. Check out the caches in Rockaway River WMA, Wildcat Ridge WMA, Norvin Green State Forest, Farney State Park and around Split Rock Reservoir. You are also smack in the middle of Treequest country. He is the king of NJ cache hiders. If you want a quality geocaching experience just look for the Treequest name. You won't be disappointed.

It is hunting season, so you might want to stick with Sunday caching in the WMAs (wildlife mamagement areas) right now, or at least wear hunter orange.

Edited by briansnat

Broke my leg geocaching alone!

But seriously ... I did.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...mp;LID=20526751

Slipped on a small hill, twisted my ankle and landed on it with a loud crack. Took two hours to get the 8/10 of a mile back to the van. Back geocaching one week later on crutches with leg in cast.

Since then, I carry a cell phone and a whistle. And I'm a lot more careful of where I place my feet!

So, seriously, geocaching alone can be dangerous. Hiking alone can be dangerous. Riding your bike alone can be dangerous. And snorkeling alone can be dangerous. Yet, I do these all the time.

So, be careful out there. Be prepared. Be cautious.

Happy geocaching!

And a bad day geocaching limping back to the van on a broken leg, is still better than a good day at work!

About 75% of my find have been by myself, usually during lunch. I have done some in parks and others in urban areas. Unless it is an unfound cache, I read the logs and have avoided one's that had statements about the "other" non-caching activity the area. I carry a cell phone and wear the appropriate footwear. Just as in any activity, you have to be aware of the surroundings.

I do about 95% of my caching alone. With nearly 900 finds, I have only been:

• Bitten by 13 snakes (resulting in 2 fatalities)
  • Been murdered three times (although one time it was a case of mistaken identify)
  • Been run over by 2 cars and 1 eighteen-wheeler. That was one sucky day.
  • Fell off of 1 cliff.
  • Been pushed off of 2 cliffs.
  • Been attacked by a family of bears and once by a rabid chipmunk.
  • Gotten into a hornet's nest and stung a dozen or so times.
  • Drowned at least a half-dozen times.
  • Buried under an avalanche (lost 3 fingers and my big toe).

But on a serious note, it's only as safe as you make it. If you're going to go tromping around on mountains and in the woods by yourself, take appropriate precautions (make sure someone knows where you are, what time to expect you back, carry a cell phone, extra batteries for the GPS, mark your car, carry a first aid kit, etc). Use some common sense, and if something appears too dangerous to attempt alone, don't do it.

Edited by ThePropers

I have done about 75% of my finds alone. My issue is that my wife doesn't enjoy any hikes over 1/4 mile or so and my kids (4 & 5) aren't really up to long high terrain hikes, they don't enjoy them much either. My 5 year olds favorite saying is "This is taking TOO long!" I do try to come prepared though. I always carry water and my cell phone...well when I don't forget one or both in the car.

So far, I've abandoned one hunt due to a possibility of a 30 foot fall off of rocks. I returned to this one a few weeks later with my wife in tow just in case and got the cache. I also had a case of bad heat exhaustion when alone. I attempted a long uphill hike and just didn't make it before dizziness set in. In this case, I had forgotten both my water and cell phone in the car. It was a good lesson...but I still finished the final 100 feet of the climb to the cache once I recovered. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...g=y&decrypt=

I do about 95% of my caching alone. With nearly 900 finds, I have only been:

• Bitten by 13 snakes (resulting in 2 fatalities)
  • Been murdered three times (although one time it was a case of mistaken identify)
  • Been run over by 2 cars and 1 eighteen-wheeler. That was one sucky day.
  • Fell off of 1 cliff.
  • Been pushed off of 2 cliffs.
  • Been attacked by a family of bears and once by a rabid chipmunk.
  • Gotten into a hornet's nest and stung a dozen or so times.
  • Drowned at least a half-dozen times.
  • Buried under an avalanche (lost 3 fingers and my big toe).

But on a serious note, it's only as safe as you make it. If you're going to go tromping around on mountains and in the woods by yourself, take appropriate precautions (make sure someone knows where you are, what time to expect you back, carry a cell phone, extra batteries for the GPS, mark your car, carry a first aid kit, etc). Use some common sense, and if something appears too dangerous to attempt alone, don't do it.

Wow thats funny! Pushed off 2 cliffs!!!!!

Edited by jadeskyline

I do a lot of caching alone...son is often in school or otherwise busy. I haven't gotten to any that are really physically challenging outside of a hike, or where I thought I might get lost. The compass in my head is pretty good, knock on wood (literally, sometimes). I HAVE come across some dicey looking individuals, in out-of-the-way spots, and kept on my toes, but generally, like animals, they seem to be more afraid of me than I of them. Geocachers in general are suspect to muggles, plus I guess I look rough and usually carry a large stick of some sort. Bottom line, each cacher has to assess the risk of each cache based on the situation. By all means, if it feels funny, walk away. A smiley isn't worth it.

I usually drag my girlfriend along, but I often go alone as well.

Either way is good depending on your personality. I enjoy solitude, so I'm perfectly happy hiking or geocaching alone. Some of the more dangerous ones would probably be good to go with someone in case you are injured or something, and it's always a good idea to bring a phone.

I've only been on 4 geocaches so far (in the past 2 weekends I might add!) but I always go by myself. It's just nice to get away for a little bit and enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise. I haven't been on any long dangerous hikes as of yet, but I'm always careful as I can be. I do need to invest in some hiking boots and a walking stick one of these days. (maybe I can borrow one from House??) :laughing: Of course I do have to mention I also go storm chasing by myself, something that really isn't recommended to do solo. Other than the incident with the grain bin in the middle of the interstate, I've managed to survive. :anicute: (PM if you're interested in that story) So I guess the bottom line is if you have friends/family that are interested in going with you (ones that you enjoy spending time with!) then invite them along. If not, hit the trails on your own and just be prepared. I carry a cell phone and ham radio with me, so I should be covered should I need to call for assistance. Have fun!

About 80% of the time, I go alone. Sometimes the wife goes along, sometimes my Lab Ellie goes, and when they are here, I go with my daughter and grandson. At times I wish I had someone along, but at other times, I'm glad to be alone. To commune with nature, you have to be alone with your thoughts. There's nothing better than lying under an oak tree, watching wildlife, to freshen your spirit.

I do probably 95% of my geocaching alone. Like other posts have said, it's as safe as you make it. I don't like city caching alone, because I feel too conspicuous. I mostly do backcountry mountain biking caches where I don't have to worry about muggles. I would love to have someone to go with, but my bottom line is "it's better to go alone than not go at all". So go for it! Just take reasonable precautions.

I've just started getting back into Geocaching again. However my kids are to old and don't want to come out with me anymore. I was wonder if this is the place to find another fellow geocacher to go on hunts with? I live in the Vancouver area of BC Canada.

Probably want to post something aboot this (hehe...I said aboot) in the regional forums. There's a Canada Section

Edited by ThePropers

I'm a newbie and haven't had much of a chance to go caching yet but I would like to have someone go with me, at least for some of them. I don't worry too much about getting hurt but I do worry about being in isolated areas alone. There is a heavily wooded trail in a park with a couple of caches and I must admit I'm nervous there. There have been a couple of murders in the park (not recently) and the trail is quite removed from the majority of park traffic. Other areas that are a little more populated don't bother me. I hope to one day find a caching partner.

How many poeple out there geocache without a partner? I just started and was wondering if its safe to do this?

Mike

I've done about 65% of mine alone. JAScott goes with me if the terrain is not too difficult and is going more often lately, but sometimes I want a longer hike than she wants to do.

I have brought my 7 year old son on a few hunts. But the majority Ive gone on alone. Like the previous posters have mentioned, carry a cell phone and everything you need for a day hike. I wish I can share my adventures with the Mrs. but she is just not into the "outdoors" thing.

I have been only one geocaching (alone btw) but I have hiked alone and I had a bad experience. I was attempting a day hike up to Mount Vesuvio in Italy. It was a cold but clear day with nice, white fluffy clouds. I was following a route marked on a map, which was all fine and dandy at first. I passed a few people but then I was by myself. At one point, I realized I was lost and and way off track and started retracing my steps (I didn't have a GPS then). On the way back, I started to get some altitude sickness. I felt very dizzy and weak. I just had to sit down for a while. That, however, didn't make much of a difference. I started throwing up and of course, freaking out even more. I had some water but I didn't plan well enough and I didn't have any food with me. I also had several pounds worth of photographing equipment on me which made it even more difficult for me to carry on walking. My cell phone did not have a signal either so I couldn't call anyone. All the way back to the car, I really thought I wasn't gonna make it. I could hardly stand up straight. To make matters worse, I made the stupid mistake of not telling anyone where I was going. It was a terrifying experience. Live and learn. I didn't hike, alone or otherwise, for one and half years after that.

That could have happened to anyone. However, I think that women have another kind of danger to worry about. As a girl, alone in the woods, you are an easy target. People won't bat an eyelash if they see a man hiking alone or walking around in the woods alone but, in my experience, women attract much more (unwanted) attention.

June

Edited by chiqui74

"Since then, I carry a cell phone and a whistle. And I'm a lot more careful of where I place my feet!"

Wow, a whistle is a very good idea.

I know the whistle is great to alert other humans... but I am just curious, do you think it would work to deter a Mountain Lion or a Protective Mama Black Bear or a pack of Feral Dogs?

"Since then, I carry a cell phone and a whistle. And I'm a lot more careful of where I place my feet!"

Wow, a whistle is a very good idea.

I know the whistle is great to alert other humans... but I am just curious, do you think it would work to deter a Mountain Lion or a Protective Mama Black Bear or a pack of Feral Dogs?

Sometimes, it depends on how determined they are to proceed.

I prefer to cache with others. To me it is a lot more fun. We post in local threads as to where and when we are caching so we can meet up. I have cached alone many times but feel really weird when I have done urban caches alone. However, I don't mind going on a peaceful hike when I'm alone. I'd just rather have someone to chat with!

Sometimes I look for them when Lil Tahosa goes along, sometimes I hunt alone. But when I hide the good ones in the backcountry I'm usually alone, just the bears, mountain lions, coyotes and elk & deer for company.

No, I'm there too, stalking you silently. :laughing:

A 5 Terrain solo hike:

7d6128c4-295a-4798-a253-2de3102c9612.jpg

Edited by Criminal

How many poeple out there geocache without a partner? I just started and was wondering if its safe to do this?

Mike

I do most of my caching alone. If I am worried about the area I turn around and leave. I have seen some

homeless camps while out and about and they scare the heck out of me. Once I really wanted to get

this one not far from home and I got brave and took my son with me! I was still kinda scared but it

helped having him there. I also like taking my little ankle biter with me! No protection but he loves it

just as much as I do.

Have fun caching and stay safe!

About 90% of mine are solo, including all my 4s and 5s and all my backcountry/wilderness caches.

No problem. I am perfectly comfortable solo x-country hiking. I have done it all my life both professionally and for personal recreation and do not worry about it at all, neither does my wife worry about me when I am out in the forest alone.

I would say that 1000+ of my 1200 finds have been solo. I have done some hazardous things while caching alone but that is my nature. I am a firm believer that what will happen is going to happen. I do however carry a cell phone with me when I do cache alone (if I do not forget it at home or in the car). The only time I have been injured once while caching I was in a group; so go figure. Also my pup is usually with me when caching; so maybe I do not cache alone much.

I've been doing this a couple of months, so far alone because I don't know anyone else. I've hiked alone for years so that would be much the same. If I don't like a situation, I leave. I've run into homeless camps twice since caching. Makes me nervous coming across people living in the woods. I often take a dog with me and plan to take him when I return to try and get a cache that's near a encampment in the woods.

I have done geocaching both alone in area's I know. I also tell someone where I am going or leave a note so if I do not show back where I left the note someone knows where to look for me. I normaly always carry a whistle with me. I do not have a cell phone. But I do go geocaching so far with my kids, my husband has not had time to join us yet. I have them carry whistle's too and sometime I take a small first aid kit along. We always have a first aid kit in our van and the van has On Star and the kids know how to use it in case of emergency. I like this feature a lot! We always leave a note for my husband or tell him if we plan to go geocaching so again if we do not get home when we were supposed to he can call the van on star phone or come looking for us. Just remember if you plan to go along leave behind a note so if you do not come home they know where to look for you. Do call if your plans change if you can or if you are running late. Good Luck! Happy Geocaching.