FiFi waypoints

alistair_uk

At my office we have just installed a FON wifi router that allows FON users to use our broadband, provided we can use theirs. One thing I can do, and have done, is to set up an account for Geocachers to log there finds and do the web cam cache in front of the office without assistance. While I was updating the cache listing I had an idea, what about adding waypoints to local free wifi access to cache listings, provided one is close. Normally I would not need this, but when on holiday it is sometimes useful to log those TBs and seek assistance. Any thoughts?

At my office we have just installed a FON wifi router that allows FON users to use our broadband, provided we can use theirs. One thing I can do, and have done, is to set up an account for Geocachers to log there finds and do the web cam cache in front of the office without assistance. While I was updating the cache listing I had an idea, what about adding waypoints to local free wifi access to cache listings, provided one is close. Normally I would not need this, but when on holiday it is sometimes useful to log those TBs and seek assistance. Any thoughts?

Great idea. It would come into its own when attending camping events.

Some good news, most of the FON members who run a FON WiFi router have been given another one to give away. So now I have a FOM WiFi router to give away.

Why not have a look at the FON website and if you want to participate in the WiFi sharing project (and prefrebly give free access to cachers :-) ) then let me know and I can send you the invite.

Edited by alistair_uk

Some good news, most of the FON members who run a FON WiFi router have been given another one to give away. So now I have a FOM WiFi router to give away.

Why not have a look at the FON website and if you want to participate in the WiFi sharing project (and prefrebly give free access to cachers :-) ) then let me know and I can send you the invite.

We to have an invite to give away, if you want it just let us know.

Just check the Terms and Conditions of your ISP's agreement and make sure they don't mind you sharing the connection with other people.

Not so much hidden in the small print, more the purpose of the whole project and lit up in neon lights on the the front of the building. You can use my Internet connection if I can use yours.

Also be aware you could be held liable for anything downloaded from the Internet via your connection (e.g. MP3s, File Sharing etc.)

It is a valid point that the connection that is associated with you can be used by other FON members to do whatever, but in the UK you are not liable for what they do. The only legal implication that I was worried about was if my ISP allowed others to use my connection, and fortunalty they do.

The other concern I would have is if I have other machines on my network that are not on Wifi then they can be accessed by FON users outside my house.

Finally a small fun tail. I did not want the router to be associated with the building for security so I named it after the neighbouring road, that is the same name as the local pub. Just after that the pub down the road put signs up that they offering free Wifi. :-)

We to have an invite to give away, if you want it just let us know.

I've been sent another invite, so if anyone wants it just let me know

....and I almost forgot. If you pay for the amount of bandwidth you use or have a cap then FON is probably not for you.

Just a heads up that Blueyonder/Telewest/NTL or what ever they are called nowadays, are running a Trail bandwidth throttle in the NW.

This only affects peak time (16:00 to 24:00) but once you hit the limit, your bandwidth will be reduced by 50%.

• Get a free FON router
  • Connect it to your home network
  • It will create a "public" access point using a proportion of your Internet bandwidth (you decide how much)
  • It will also create a "private" access point for your own home use

Now, because you've now become a "fonero" and giving away some of your bandwidth at home, you can now use other foneros bandwidth while you are out and about.

Edited by lordelph

The routers are now free. I've just ordered one. :)

Edited by stora
Hopefully there'll be free access for geocachers passing Lactodorum Towers in a few weeks :ph34r::o

Good spot TDW

All set up and ready for any passing Geocacher to make use of it. If you're not already signed up to FON you can get on with a Username of geocacher and the password is .... (well I'm not going to type it here :ph34r: - suffice it to say it's a reviewer's name :huh: ).

Enjoy!

Ours arrived today, still not sure whether to upset our already working wifi setup. If not, we'll pass it on to a friend for use.

According to the FAQ on their website, you can plug the new unit into a spare port(if you have one) on your existing router and not have to amend the settings on your existing configuration.

Jon.

Ours arrived today, still not sure whether to upset our already working wifi setup. If not, we'll pass it on to a friend for use.

According to the FAQ on their website, you can plug the new unit into a spare port(if you have one) on your existing router and not have to amend the settings on your existing configuration.

Jon.

Exactly what we did and it worked a treat straight out of the box.

Got mine last week and all set up - as others have said, I just plugged it into a spare LAN port on my current router, and away it went!

I do have two questions - firstly, apart from the original setup, I decided to carry on connecting through my existing wireless network, rather than the 'MyPlace' private network - anyone know if it makes a difference?

Secondly, and more importantly, I'm trying to find a way of getting a list of all FON sites onto my PC, for OFFLINE use, so I can actually find one when I need to! I've tried various things - there is a downloadable GPX file, but this doesn't seem to import into GSAK properly, an ovi file which I tried converting for my Garmin SatNav, and this won't install, a csv file which I can't do much with, and a kml file, but to view this in googleearth, I need to be online...

So how do people do it? Any tips? Many thanks!

Dave

Secondly, and more importantly, I'm trying to find a way of getting a list of all FON sites onto my PC, for OFFLINE use, so I can actually find one when I need to! I've tried various things - there is a downloadable GPX file, but this doesn't seem to import into GSAK properly, an ovi file which I tried converting for my Garmin SatNav, and this won't install, a csv file which I can't do much with, and a kml file, but to view this in googleearth, I need to be online...

Dave

Come on folks!! someone must know!

Cheers

Dave (the impatient one...!)

Got mine up and running over the weekend too.

So far all I've done is download the OV2 file into my TomTom and I can view them there on my PDA and navigate to them if necessary.

I haven't played around with it much yet but I'm going to try and download the csv file and see if Ican load it into Memory Map. If I can I've no idea how I can limit it to the areas I'm interested in so I'll have a play and see if it works.

Can anyone share the wifi or do they have to be Foneros etc? I'm happy for anyone esp cachers to access it, but I haven't tried to log on to someone else's site yet so don't know how that side of it works.

The GPX wont import to my MM properly either, it only gives one router.

Aah, they create the file incorrectly, they give all the waypoints the same name. I have opened a support ticket with them.

ahh - why didn't i think of that - i noticed in GSAK that it was importing 1000 odd records, successfully, but only one showed... that would explain it!

odd, considering i seem to remember the name is specific to location - or is it the part that GSAK interprets as the GC Code that is the same, hence it overwrites every time and leaves one record... anyway - fingers crossed for a resolution! :signalviolin:

You can add "friends and family" usernames and passwords for your public access point via the configuration page on the Fon website. I've added geocacher/geocacher to mine!

What a good idea.. I'll set mine to geocacher/geocacher too... So if you're passing through Liskeard. or stopping off for a pasty or something please feel free...

oooh - i'll do the same as well. Good thinking. Of course, now all i need is an offline record of FON locations... hopefully edgy's support request will come up trumps!