9-11 Geocoin

dawgs

My grandmother and I are thinking about producing this coin. We will be selling it depending on how much interest it generates. Cost would be 9.99 and shipping $1.50 in Mainland U.S.A. Thank you for your comments and suggestionsd8b17bef-cd71-46ff-8c99-bc01ae4da2bf.jpg

Edited by dawgs

You will help people answer that question if you fill in the following blanks:

How big will it be: 1.5"

How Thick will it be:not sure yet

Will it have a unique Icon: depnds on how many people want it

What will your price be: around $9.99

What will the shipping costs be:not sure yet

What metal finishes will you use:Will post soon

What is your estimated ship date:not sure yet

Thanks

Edited by dawgs

Zero profit on this coin, right?

I saw that "cross" at Ground Zero when the site was still burning.

I saw the cross as well and took a few pictures of it.

When talking with Gridlox about our Club coin, I wanted to use the cross, but couldnt get it just right. That is when Gridlox came up with the design which is on the coin today.

If you like the coin, you should go ahead and make it. It is hard to judge anything today in the forums. $9.50 coins selling out overnight while other coins continue to get bumped to sell. If this is something you believe in, go for it. If nothing else, you have a bunch of Geocoins to release into the wild.

nielsenc

How many coins that are out lately are not sold for profit?

Even if the coin maker makes 500, sells 400, they usually get back the cost of the 500 coins and then have 100 free coins for trades or to place in a cache, so they are still making a profit.

The only coins not made for profit are the ones that are paid for soley by the coin maker and not offered for sale.

IMHO

Good luck making and selling your coin, and welcome to the frenzy!

Edited by 501_Gang

I like the idea, if you did a 0 profit id consider it.

What you might want to think about is the cross, im sure not everyone who died in 9-11 found that symbol to be there own. Remember it was the "WORLD" trade towers. Thousands of people with hundreds of diffrent symbols.

How about a symbol more generic, somthing to represent all the people who died insted of 75% of the people.

Just my 2cents

PrinceShoko

PS: not everyone does profit- im working on a 2nd coin for the first of 07. My profit is going to be about $27 keeping no coins for self. So what I keep im basicly paying for. I find coins to cost an arm and leg. 500 coins at 2700 plus gi-normous shipping

Edited by princeshoko

I like it and would buy it. I like what it represents, the fact that on that day all our lives changed. No matter what we do in life or where we live it has impacted us in so many ways.

I don't think you should change the cross on the coin because here in the USA we have the freedom to have it if we want to. The "World Trade Towers" just happen to have been in the USA.

Therefore I say go for it.

A donation to a 9/11 related charity wuld be a nice gesture by the coin maker.

Also, how about a two sided design. It seems like a give up to use the GS logo on one side. I'm sure you could come up with something cool for the back.

Edit - spelling

Edited by 9Key

Also, how about a two sided design. It seems like a give up to use the GS logo on one side. I'm sure you could come up with something cool for the back.

Edit - spelling

I agree on both points. That is quite a beautiful front to the coin!

Personally I like the coin. What I find funny is all the individuals who complain about profit but fail to question the people who are cachers that have turned this into a profit making business. Over the past three months, I could name three individuals who have gone from making one personal coin to making three or four coins for profit and no one questions their motives.

Edited by LadeBear68

Edit - spelling

I agree on both points. That is quite a beautiful front to the coin!

Me too!

Personally I like the coin. What I find funny is all the individuals who complain about profit but fail to question the people who are cachers that have turned this into a profit making business. Over the past three months, I could name three individuals who have gone from making one personal coin to making three or four coins for profit and no one questions their motives.

I'm really not concerned if anyone makes a profit, but if you do a 9/11 coin, or breast cancer awareness coin, I would hope a donation would be made to an organization that supports the cause.

Saying that, I have no idea what the intention of this coin is. I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.

The center of the WTC site are: N 40 42.705, W 74 00.745 . I am not currently able to get Expert GPS up - I think their servers are down - to get the coords for the plaza that was at the front of the buildings (I think they still show up in Expert GPS). Hope this helps some.

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

Along with others, I'm not really interested.

Yes it was a day that we will never forget - but it has nothing to do with caching. I'm sure you could say tie in our freedom and our right to cache, but it's just not enough for me.

Since somebody opened the "profit" can of worms as well - I have no problem with people making a little money off coins. I have issues with people gouging prices to rake in the bucks, or people that are only in this for $$ versus offering something to the game/community that has some (perceived) value/relevance.

I don't like the selling of personal coins, but that's a whole OTHER thread :laughing: .

To stay on topic - not for me.

(Wasn't there already at least 1 9/11 coin already??)

Personally I'm hoping that you rethink this theme and go with something like Pearl Harbor or something that isn't as sensitive an issue as this one still is. I have friends and relatives who are still adjusting to their families being destroyed by this event. The scars aren't healed enough yet for this event to become part of a game. Just my 2cents.

I don't see what the big deal is about the OP making a coin based on 9-11. There was one already made and most of us recieved it on 9-11 this year and no one complianed or told the maker they needed to make a donation to anyone. (No I'm not bashing the other coin, I think it is a great coin and am glad that I was able to get one).

There are so many coins out there that have nothing to do with geocaching, matter of fact, most of the newer coins have nothing to do with caching, even most if not all of the State coins have nothing to do with caching and people buy them up like they've never seen a geocoin before.

So I say make the coin the way YOU want it, it's a great looking coin and I'm sure people will buy it.

If you really want to sell them off easily, make sure they are priced by your true cost and not what the market is selling them for.

There are so many coins out there that have nothing to do with geocaching, matter of fact, most of the newer coins have nothing to do with caching...

I couldn't agree more - but is that a reason to make another one?

Ok, I'm not picking a fight here, just making a point about that logic.

In the end you are right. Everybody will make what they want. Somoe will buy and some will not.

edit: typos

Edited by kealia

Visited the WTC last month; it looks like - well, like a construction site. The area has little to offer visitors but chain link fencing screening off the site, a storefront charging admission to help raise funds for one of the memorial 'agendas', and the incredible 56' wide bas-relief bronze memorial at FDNY's Station Ten... what an awesome testimony to the heroism of the first responder emergency personnel - especially the firefighters. Station Ten houses Engine 10 and Ladder 10, and is located on the south side of the 'block' across the street from the WTC. As you can imagine, their station's losses were substantial in terms of personnel. If you're visiting New York City, look up that firefighters' memorial on the west wall of Station Ten - it will help you understand the final sacrifice made by 343 firefighters as their department carried out the largest rescue operation the world has ever seen...

The monument's at N40 42.590 W 74 00.780 - on the west side of the station, corner of Liberty & Greenwich St. Best as I can tell from my track log and offsetting to the north, the center of the square block the WTC sat upon is N40 42.690 W 74 00.750

0f7ee64c-5fa5-4287-8f09-be6b956f1521.jpg

Fifty-six feet wide - three hundred and forty-three names - Courage and self-sacrifice defined...

Visited the WTC last month; it looks like - well, like a construction site. The area has little to offer visitors but chain link fencing screening off the site, a storefront charging admission to help raise funds for one of the memorial 'agendas', and the incredible 56' wide bas-relief bronze memorial at FDNY's Station Ten... what an awesome testimony to the heroism of the first responder emergency personnel - especially the firefighters. Station Ten houses Engine 10 and Ladder 10, and is located on the south side of the 'block' across the street from the WTC. As you can imagine, their station's losses were substantial in terms of personnel. If you're visiting New York City, look up that firefighters' memorial on the west wall of Station Ten - it will help you understand the final sacrifice made by 343 firefighters as their department carried out the largest rescue operation the world has ever seen...

The monument's at N40 42.590 W 74 00.780 - on the west side of the station, corner of Liberty & Greenwich St. Best as I can tell from my track log and offsetting to the north, the center of the square block the WTC sat upon is N40 42.690 W 74 00.750

0f7ee64c-5fa5-4287-8f09-be6b956f1521.jpg

Fifty-six feet wide - three hundred and forty-three names - Courage and self-sacrifice defined...

thanks

This is the latest proof of the coindd412ea5-bc30-41ca-9c35-211169889225.jpg

:huh::(

We will be adding the coords of the twin towers along the bottom and it will be trackable the company just forgot to add the place where the number will be i will post the picture again when we get the latest proof

Edited by dawgs

My .02

These days there are at least two types of coins being produced. Among those are Geocoins and 'feel good' coins. This 9/11 coin falls squarely into the latter category, because it has absolutely nothing to do with caching whatsoever.

What is the point of the coin in the first place? Is it to help raise funds that will be donated to a post-9/11 effort, or is it going to help buy a PS3 or make Christmas a little better for you? I realize that question might seem a little brash, but this far past the events of that tragic day, I have to really question the motivation behind it.

My .02

These days there are at least two types of coins being produced. Among those are Geocoins and 'feel good' coins. This 9/11 coin falls squarely into the latter category, because it has absolutely nothing to do with caching whatsoever.

What is the point of the coin in the first place? Is it to help raise funds that will be donated to a post-9/11 effort, or is it going to help buy a PS3 or make Christmas a little better for you? I realize that question might seem a little brash, but this far past the events of that tragic day, I have to really question the motivation behind it.

for on the ps3 stinks and i would get a 360 i love geocaching and geocoins and thought it would be neat to make one. its for fun not for a ps3

for on the ps3 stinks and i would get a 360 i love geocaching and geocoins and thought it would be neat to make one. its for fun not for a ps3

Don't justify your actions. It is not necessary. If you make a profit, how much or what you do with it is no ones business.

For all the whining going on, this was never represented as non-profit nor that any possible profits were going anywhere but the owner. Don't like it, don't buy it.

On second though: Even better, keep complaining about it. It moves this thread up the list everytime you do it and I am fairly certain, won't hurt sales.