What is Groundpeak up to.......?

Cache Heads

Okay... I can't find any other thread on this topic, so I'm just gonna flat out ask:

What the heck are you sneaky little devils up to over there at Groundspeak??

First there was this post by the Leps (bolded for emphasis):

A careful read of Groundspeak's announcement of the new location-based forums reveals that Waymarkers are, in fact, getting a sneak preview of the integrated Groundspeak Portal site that will include Geocaching, Waymarking and, errr, that other thingie I'm not s'posed to talk much about.

:unsure:

Then this popped up on the Groundspeak homepage:

geocaching_box.gifwaymarking_box.gifwhereami.gifcito_box.gif

What's up with the ???? You all obviously wanted me to be curious and now I am.... so let's have it! What are you guys up to???

:laughing::unsure::unsure::unsure:

It's a question mark, so obviously they're breaking off puzzles into their own site/category. So instead of seeing 30 threads on "I hate puzzles!" we'll see 30 about "Bring puzzles back please!"

Haha! We haven't had any real controversy for a while. What a great idea!

I heard from a guy my brother's friend knows who geocaches with his buddy who went to an event cache with one of the local organization leaders who hinted that he heard from a Groundspeak lackey close to an approver within a heartbeat of one of the oh-powerful-ones that Jeremy said... DISNEY IS BUYING Groundspeak!!!

I heard from a guy my brother's friend knows who geocaches with his buddy who went to an event cache with one of the local organization leaders who hinted that he heard from a Groundspeak lackey close to an approver within a heartbeat of one of the oh-powerful-ones that Jeremy said... DISNEY IS BUYING Groundspeak!!!

WOW!! My brother-in-law has a freind that heard from a prison guard listening to a convict say that kind of information is always reliable......

My vote is the portal.......

Hmmm, its probibly that thing that they showed some of us at the headquarters a while back. Very cool I might add. Can't wait till it goes live, even though I won't have the hardware to spport it. Oh well thats all I am willing to spill. :P

That's Wherigo, as mentioned in a previous post. No longer as secret as when we saw it last spring!

And check out this low-tech marketing campaign: When I came back from grabbing a multi at a local park a couple months ago, there was a note on my windshield from a GS intern who'd seen my caching license plate, asking if I'd heard about Wherigo yet. :D

Edited by hydnsek

The portal is very interesting... but isn't this the very same portal that is supposed to include Geocaching, Waymarking and that certain something that Lep apparently is prithee to but unable or unwilling to share with the rest of us? If that's the case, then the ? and the portal are two different things.... no?

And BTW Derock, you sure have made a lot of guesses for someone who caches with a psychic :P:D ... come on, we know you know the real answer... :D

EDIT: to say that I hope TPTB are enjoying my pain.... you can jump in and tell us anytime you know :D

Edited by Cache Heads

The more I look at Wherigo, the more I like it. I'm convinced that this is an activity that my wife would enjoy (unlike that silly game we know as geocaching). I would likely buy a pocket pc just so we could participate (even though I believe that they are inherently evil).

Edited by sbell111

It's a question mark, so obviously they're breaking off puzzles into their own site/category. So instead of seeing 30 threads on "I hate puzzles!" we'll see 30 about "Bring puzzles back please!"

Haha! We haven't had any real controversy for a while. What a great idea!

Close ThePropers, very close. Actually the question mark is for microcaching.com!! Any and all parking lot micros will be moved there, along with any future parking lot micros; and it will be a seperate game.

Hey, I can dream, can't I? <_<

Whatever the super secret thing that is going on is....you can bet that the Groundspeak people are sitting on their computers watching the posts to this thread laughing out loud while sipping hot chocolate and eating pizza from this months company party saying "Man, they are going to kick themselves when they figure it out"

Or maybe their is nothing to figure out....maybe the question mark is supposed to symbolize the hunt of a Geocache/waymark/trash (CITO)! Maybe that is going to be the new Geocaching logo!

That would explain this:

1e620267-348c-4dde-83d5-00132f761f76.jpg

Well I heard from my caching friend, who heard from the mailman, who heard from the telemarketer in Kansas, who heard from someone she called, who had heard from the Arizona state reviewer, who had heard from the California reviewer, who heard from his friend the parakeet, who had heard from a park ranger in Oregon, who had heard from his brothers cousin thrice removed, who had heard from Brian, who had heard from Elias, who thought he had heard from Raine, who got a memo from Michael, who got a memo from Hydee, who had heard from Signal, who had talked to Jeremy on the phone 4 hours ago. And he said... none ya.

hahaha Just kidding. That was some great fun :rolleyes:

This is true. I know it because I heard much the same story from the my old buddy from grad school, who heard it from his sister's best friend, who heard it from her brother-in-law, who heard it from his boss, who heard it from an emergency room nurse, who heard it from a doctor, who heard it from the sister of the father of an important politician, who heard it from a TV newswoman's minister. So, it is true.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Are you talking about that new thing? I've seen it and it's WAY cool. I wish they'd hurry up and finish it though.

Just stop by the lillypad, it's part of the tour.

:(

Did they make you sign a confidentiality waiver? :(

EDIT: Wait a minute... you're a CRIMINAL anyways! Let's have it! Spill your guts :P

Edited by Cache Heads
Are you talking about that new thing? I've seen it and it's WAY cool. I wish they'd hurry up and finish it though.

Just stop by the lillypad, it's part of the tour.

:)

Some of us don't have a free pass to the lillypad. :rolleyes:
Free pass? They had an Open House last April!
Most of us don't even know where it is.

Then this popped up on the Groundspeak homepage:

geocaching_box.gifwaymarking_box.gifwhereami.gifcito_box.gif

I took a peak at the Groundspeak home page some time ago. Maybe a year ago?

That question mark was already there.

Whatever projectS they're up to, they've had it/them in the works for some time.

I think it has something to do with world domination thru mind-control.

EDIT:

This image suggests that it may even be galaxy-wide domination:

galaxysignal.jpg

Edited by MissJenn

galaxysignal.jpg

No, I'm sure it's just sound business practice: take control of the assets that are key to the current working model....Signal is taking over NAVSTAR! :(

Well sure. That way we can say "No. We're not planning to turn Selective Availablility back on."

galaxysignal.jpg

No, I'm sure it's just sound business practice: take control of the assets that are key to the current working model....Signal is taking over NAVSTAR! :(

Well sure. That way we can say "No. We're not planning to turn Selective Availablility back on."

Wow. It's too bad you won't consider 'pay-to-play'.