Am I hosed?

Grumpy_one

I bought a used Garmin 60 sc and used City Navigator v8. The CN has an unlock code which worked for the pc, but doesn't unlock for the gpsr. In mapsource I go to utilities, then unlock wizard, I put in the number and says thanks, but when I try to load the maps, it says the maps are not unlocked? I'm confused because I assumed that if I put in a wrong number I would get some kind of error message, but don't get one. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Edited by Grumpy_one

You are going to have to contact Garmin for help on fixing your problem.

To use the maps on your GPS your unlock code needs to be based on your GPSs serial number (that's how I understand it). If you do'nt have the right unlock code (and it is specific to your GPS) you can upload the maps but they will not work on your GPS.

My guess is the unlock code that you have is valid for the GPS of the original owner of the software. Typically Garmin will allow 2 codes for their software.

It's all going to boil down to work with Garmin though on the solution.

Good luck.

If both unlock codes have not been used you need to go to the garmin site and create an account. Once you are into their pages one of the options is to get an unlock code for a 2nd device. you will need your GPs connected to the PC and you will need to enter the unlock code you were given for your software. The site will find you GPS and assigne an unlock code for it. You need to write it down and file it away for future use, such as when your computer crashes and you have to reinstall all your programs.

I can't remember if the program automatically enters this unlock code or if you have to manually enter it yourself, but once that is done you should be in business. Be sure and request the entire map when you do this or your unlock code will only be good for the portion that you requested.

If both unlock codes have not been used you need to go to the garmin site and create an account. Once you are into their pages one of the options is to get an unlock code for a 2nd device. you will need your GPs connected to the PC and you will need to enter the unlock code you were given for your software. The site will find you GPS and assigne an unlock code for it. You need to write it down and file it away for future use, such as when your computer crashes and you have to reinstall all your programs.

I can't remember if the program automatically enters this unlock code or if you have to manually enter it yourself, but once that is done you should be in business. Be sure and request the entire map when you do this or your unlock code will only be good for the portion that you requested.

I can't find a place to put in an unlock code. It wants a product code which I don't have. I think I'm hosed. I looked for a place to unlock second device, but couldn't find it. If you can, maybe post a link. Thanks

They're pretty emphatic about the licenses not being transferable. It's going to bite them one day because it's the only thing stopping me from upgrading my Garmin receivers. At least with an iPOD you can de-authorize a machine and move the software around.

I actually called and talked to them on the phone (Garmin), and said I just need to get more information from the person I bought it from, name, email address. It sounded like they were going to issue an unlock code once they were able to verify the person who initially bought the software. At least it appeared they were willing to work with me. Maybe not, who knows. I'm going to try to get my money back and stick with Metroguide v4 for now, less headaches.

Without a doubt, all methods of "locking" or otherwise protecting software is a pain for the consumer. With Garmin's processes, once the software is unlocked to the specific internal serial number of your unit, it is unchangeable. If your unit fails, Garmin are pretty good at providing a new code - if you are registered with them.

I have found Garmin to be pretty straightforward when I have wanted to sell on a GPS unit complete with software that had been unlocked to it. I have now done this twice.

Originally I owned a Streetpilot 3 and Vista C to which I had unlocked the City Navigator software. I sold off the Vista C when CN was upgraded (two fresh unlocks - used them with the SP and new Vista Cx). Garmin were happy to transfer ownership of the older version of CN to my buyer.

When CN was upgraded again, I sold off the SP3 and bought a SP 2610 (complete with new version of CN). On selling the SP3, Garmin again transferred registration details of the original software to the new owner.

...so in short, if you are buying from a genuine seller, you should have no difficulties. If you are a genuine seller, just have a chat (via email for me) with Garmin before selling of your hardware and software. Once the deal is complete, Garmin will be happy to update their Registration Database with the details of the new owner.