Custom POIs vs. Waypoints

HotFix

I am thinking of ditching my aged eTrex Legend (gray scale) for a new Legend Cx or Vista Cx.

My only concern is that these new units only hold 500 waypoints. Is the custom POI loader different than waypoints? Can I load up different POI categories to get more points in? Am I only limited by memory?

I haven't used the custom POI loader because it doesn't work with my old unit. Does anyone cache using custom POIs instead of waypoints?

There are lots of threads on Custom POIs if you search the forum, but here is one Silly POI tricks that is helpful.

HotFix, POIs are different than "normal" waypoints as they reside on the micro SD card, not the internal memory. The only limit to number of POIs is the available memory on your card. You create POIs to save as .gpx or .csv files to load using the POI Loader which is free from Garmin. The name and comment fields hold up to 132 characters total.

I use them to geocache and autoroute just like any waypoint. They are a different critter in some respects but I love the ability to have literally thousands loaded in different databases. I feel it is one of the great utilities of the new X units!

PDOP's, they have to be loaded from a PC. To delete them you need to overwrite them by loading a new file(s), like how our mapping works, or by using the Menu/Interface to turn your unit into a USB drive, again on a PC, where you can select a POI database file and delete.

A few comparisons points.

Waypoints:

- Amount limited by firmware

- Sorted by icon only.

- 14 characters in name and 30 in comment field.

- Can be viewed at any zoom level

- Can be deleted and added from the unit.

- Can use the "Geoaching" feature.

Custom POIs:

- Amount limitted by card space only.

- Sorted by file name.

- 44 character in name and 88 in comment

- Can be viewed up to 200 meter (or is it 300 meter?) zoom level only (at the moment).

- Can not be deleted from the unit. Waypoints, however, can be individually created from a POI on the unit.

- Can have proximity alarms built into each POI from the computer files.

It is certainly not perfect and there is a lot of room for improvement, but it is a lot better than nothing at all.

I use the custom poi's for a very simple purpose. Basically distant points that I want to autoroute to without having to search for waypoints in the menu by name, or by scrolling the map. Say I live north of Seattle. I want to go to Snoqualmie pass or Bellingham, or heck, somewhere in Oregon. I place those in my POI's, go to the custom POI menu and select any of those distant points easily and autoroute to it. When I get there I search the loaded local waypoints and enjoy the day.

I put all my caches in custom POIs, as my wife uses the waypoints to autoroute & doesn't want to see 500 caches in between all of her stores. :P

I also like that I can have the entire name of the cache (usually), as well as lots of cache info (waypoint ID, difficulty, terrain, travel bug yes/no, last 4 finds, etc.) all in the description. I have my custom POIs listed by cache name with a "*" automatically added to the front if there is a TB in the cache. I like the system.

I only wish that the POIs would show up beyond the 800' scale. I also wish that the customizable symbols for POIs would support transparency instead of that silly magenta box around everything (hence, I don't use them at all - just stick with the little silver dots).

Jim

Waypoints:

- Amount limited by firmware

- Sorted by icon only.

- 14 characters in name and 30 in comment field.

- Can be viewed at any zoom level

- Can be deleted and added from the unit.

- Can use the "Geoaching" feature.

Custom POIs:

- Amount limitted by card space only.

- Sorted by file name.

- 44 character in name and 88 in comment

- Can be viewed up to 200 meter (or is it 300 meter?) zoom level only (at the moment).

- Can not be deleted from the unit. Waypoints, however, can be individually created from a POI on the unit.

- Can have proximity alarms built into each POI from the computer files.

Thanks for that summary, Red90. Since the custom POIs are loaded onto the microSD and not the resident waypoint memory, how are they affected when a new mapset is loaded? Does the new mapset overwrite everything on the chip, including the custom POIs? Thanks in advance.

Three things are stored (at the moment) on the card and used by the GPS.

1) Maps: These are all stored in a single file at \Garmin\gmapsupp.img This file is re-written at each map load.

2) Custom POIs: stores at \Garmin\poi\poi.gpi This file is rewritten at each POI load.

3) Tracklogs: These are stored in the root directory and labelled by date such as "20061008.gpx". There is one file per day.

No, POIs are stored by default in a file \garmin\POI\poi.gpi Any .gpi files in that directory will be read as custom POIs. Maps are stored as their own file.

Read Here

Thanks for the link to that incredibly informative thread. I had a feeling this was covered previously but couldn't find it in a search. My 60csx is arriving manana and I cannot wait to get this feature ramped up for my trip to Vegas after Christmas. Thanks again! Vive Cache Vegas!

This may have already been answered, but I'll ask it anyway. When I put the POIs to the GPS can I then assign custom icons to them. Say if I have a POI file for traditional, micro, multi, etc caches, can I then assign the custom waypoints so they show up that way. Also can I show more than one POI file at once?

I'm trying to gather the info I need so when Christmas day comes and my wife finally lets me play with my new 60CSx I've got it all down pat.

Thanks

Joe

This may have already been answered, but I'll ask it anyway. When I put the POIs to the GPS can I then assign custom icons to them. Say if I have a POI file for traditional, micro, multi, etc caches, can I then assign the custom waypoints so they show up that way. Also can I show more than one POI file at once?

I'm trying to gather the info I need so when Christmas day comes and my wife finally lets me play with my new 60CSx I've got it all down pat.

Thanks

Joe

You can assign custom icons to POIs, but all POIs in a file will have the same icon. Also, there seems to be a transparency issue with the icons on some models.

While we are on the topic, ProsperoDK made a nice GSAK macro for producing cache POIs.

See this thread

Thanks for the kudos, there might be an update to that macro in the next few days in that thread, after some feedback.

ProsperoDK/René

That macro looks very interesting. Can you tell me what you mean by "split" when you say that hints over 88 chars are split? Does that allow a waypoint to have more than 88 chars in the description?

Thanks!

EDIT:

My comments below are erroneous. Please skip the next 4 messages as they deal with my mistaken information.

Original post:

Also, there seems to be a transparency issue with the icons on some models.

This is no longer an issue! I just upgraded my POILoader program to version 2.3.2 and reloaded my POIs. Magenta is now transparent. I can also see the POIs on the map page when zoomed way out. You used to only see them while zoomed-in at 800 feet and closer.
Edited by Neo_Geo

Also, there seems to be a transparency issue with the icons on some models.

This is no longer an issue! I just upgraded my POILoader program to version 2.3.2 and reloaded my POIs. Magenta is now transparent. I can also see the POIs on the map page when zoomed way out. You used to only see them while zoomed-in at 800 feet and closer.

I wish I could verify this, but I just tried reloading my POIs using POILoader 2.3.2, and neither the zoomed-out display problem nor the magenta transparency problem are fixed on my 60CSx.

If I display the list of nearest POIs, select one from the list, and then select "Map", I can zoom out indefinitely and that particular POI will continue to be displayed. However, any other POIs that ought to be displayed in the same map area still vanish when I zoom out past 800 feet.

As for the magenta transparency, it still isn't working for me. I opened the graphic in Photoshop, selected the area I wanted to be transparent, and filled that area with magenta (RGB 255,0,255). I saved the result as a .bmp, then used POILoader 2.3.2 to reload the POIs. When I look at the result on my 60CSx, I see the correct icon, but it has magenta where I hoped it would be transparent. To make sure that magenta color really is magenta (and hadn't somehow shifted when the graphic was saved), I opened the graphic again in Photoshop and checked, and the color is still RGB 255,0,255.

Am I doing something wrong, or are these problems not really resolved yet?

--Larry

3) Tracklogs: These are stored in the root directory and labelled by date such as "20061008.gpx". There is one file per day.

Just som info about Nüvi

POI can be view at 30m and 50m

It does not store track log

Hope that Garmin change this.

I have to agree with Larryc43230 on this. My tests and results are the same as his, sorry to report. I'm running POI Loader v.2.4.0.0 beta released Sept 26, 2006.

Well, son-of-a... GUN!

I'm gonna have to agree with y'all! I have a bunch of my POIs that are near my location saved as waypoints and I guess I mistook them as POIs. I would SWEAR that I tested it by scrolling way across the country, but I guess I didn't.

Sorry for the false alarm. Editing original post.