Transferring tracks to Garmin Etrex Legend CX

Hello folks, bear with me as this may take a while to explain. I mapped some trails last night on my gps. I travelled 30 km, with some backtracking, leaving the GPS on all the while to lay down trackpoints. After I got home I transferred the track to OziExplorer so i could remove the trackpoints where I backtracked. When you delete trackpoints, the track will snap to the next available point. This shows an incorrect track, so you then split the track at this point. After doing this I have the 5 or 6 sections of tracks displayed on the map as I want them displayed. When I transfer the track back to the GPS, the track is rejoined at the point I split. So I transferred it to Mapsource, and the track appears in Mapsource as I want it to display. But I can't get it to display on the GPS the same way. I know I can do it if I save it as a number of separate tracks, but the GPS is limited to 20 named tracks (other than stored on the card - but I want them in the list so I can manage them one at a time on the GPS). Is there any way I can get the tracks to display on the GPS like they do in mapsource as ONE track.? I have a bitmap image here that shows a little clearer what I'm talking about. If someone could be so kind as to post it for me, I'll email it to you. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi GreatCanadian. This is worth a try. If a Garmin tracklog is named in this fashion, "ACTIVE LOG 001", or any other "ACTIVE LOG xxx", I believe it will retain all the tracklog points up to the total 10,000 points. (If you save a Garmin tracklog within your unit it compresses it to a maximum of 250 trackpoints). In MapSource rename your edited track to "ACTIVE LOG 001", or ACTIVE LOG "some number" so you don't wipe out an existing tracklog, but keep this naming format. Save this as a .gpx file and upload it to your unit. I'm thinking this will now allow you to see ALL the many trackpoints. (I don't have my 60Cx with me to run this test sorry to say).

Hi GreatCanadian. This is worth a try. If a Garmin tracklog is named in this fashion, "ACTIVE LOG 001", or any other "ACTIVE LOG xxx", I believe it will retain all the tracklog points up to the total 10,000 points. (If you save a Garmin tracklog within your unit it compresses it to a maximum of 250 trackpoints). In MapSource rename your edited track to "ACTIVE LOG 001", or ACTIVE LOG "some number" so you don't wipe out an existing tracklog, but keep this naming format. Save this as a .gpx file and upload it to your unit. I'm thinking this will now allow you to see ALL the many trackpoints. (I don't have my 60Cx with me to run this test sorry to say).

Hello there, and thanks for the reply. I am not sure if this addresses my problem or not, but I have to admit that I did a poor job of explaining it. However, if I am reading your reply correctly, it is of great interest to me. Are you saying that, using your method above, that I can have tracks totalling MORE than the 10,000 point limit saved on the GPS. Again, thanks.

Edited by GreatCanadian

Hello there, and thanks for the reply. I am not sure if this addresses my problem or not, but I have to admit that I did a poor job of explaining it. However, if I am reading your reply correctly, it is of great interest to me. Are you saying that, using your method above, that I can have tracks totalling MORE than the 10,000 point limit saved on the GPS. Again, thanks.

No, I meant your Garmin can have an "active tracklog(s)" for a total of 10,000 trackpoints. So, if you have not cleared your past tracklog(s) you have used up some of that total. You do still have the option for 20 saved tracks.

You can have 20 "saved tracks" with each containing 250 trackpoints. I reread your original post so maybe this is closer to an answer. Another way to display your "5 or 6 sections of tracks displayed on the map" is to save each as a separate track.gpx as long as any one doesn't exceed 250 points. When you load them you go thru the menu for Tracks and can display them.

No, I meant your Garmin can have an "active tracklog(s)" for a total of 10,000 trackpoints. So, if you have not cleared your past tracklog(s) you have used up some of that total. You do still have the option for 20 saved tracks.

You can have 20 "saved tracks" with each containing 250 trackpoints. I reread your original post so maybe this is closer to an answer. Another way to display your "5 or 6 sections of tracks displayed on the map" is to save each as a separate track.gpx as long as any one doesn't exceed 250 points. When you load them you go thru the menu for Tracks and can display them.

Yep, I can save it as separate tracks, but it will fill up my track menu too quickly. I am trying to find a method to save it as one track with separate sections.

Hello folks, bear with me as this may take a while to explain. I mapped some trails last night on my gps. I travelled 30 km, with some backtracking, leaving the GPS on all the while to lay down trackpoints. After I got home I transferred the track to OziExplorer so i could remove the trackpoints where I backtracked. When you delete trackpoints, the track will snap to the next available point. This shows an incorrect track, so you then split the track at this point. After doing this I have the 5 or 6 sections of tracks displayed on the map as I want them displayed. When I transfer the track back to the GPS, the track is rejoined at the point I split. So I transferred it to Mapsource, and the track appears in Mapsource as I want it to display. But I can't get it to display on the GPS the same way. I know I can do it if I save it as a number of separate tracks, but the GPS is limited to 20 named tracks (other than stored on the card - but I want them in the list so I can manage them one at a time on the GPS). Is there any way I can get the tracks to display on the GPS like they do in mapsource as ONE track.? I have a bitmap image here that shows a little clearer what I'm talking about. If someone could be so kind as to post it for me, I'll email it to you. Thanks for any help you can offer.

email me the bitmap and the raw .gdb file before you did any editing and also the .gdb file that you edited

email: cf-700 at hotmail dot com