"Old school" caching: Cure for burnout?

drat19

The other night one of my caching buddies from my "second home" here in the Twin Cities of MN called me to invite me out to dinner. He had another cacher with him from upstate MN who was in the Cities for the weekend caching with him; I was in my office all day working (not a fun weekend), so it was a welcome break.

My buddy introduced me to the other cacher and upon introducing me, said to him about me, "Dave used to be the ultimate Numbers Ho when I first met him 3 years ago, but now he hardly caches anymore." The other cacher inquired to me, "Why?" and I told him quite matter-of-factly, "Got burned out. Too many micros and 'same ol' same ol' ' everywhere I travel. And I don't care to compete on Numbers anymore if this is what I have to search for in order to do that."

(As some forum regulars know about me, I travel all over the country to work (and cache!), although for the past year I've pretty much been working/based full time in the Twin Cities).

He said, "You should come up to my part of the state...we've got the cure for your burnout." "Really?" I inquired. He replied, "Yep. Nice country and scenery, and trails to hike with ammo cans to find at the end of them." "Ammo cans, and hidden so that cachers can actually find them??", I answered. "Yep!", he replied.

It occurred to me that what he described as the "norm" for caching up in his area, the Iron Range of MN, was the type of caching that used to be the norm for the game in most places back when I started playing in '02...the norm that got me and others at the time utterly addicted.

My first cache was a rare (at the time) micro hidden at the foot of the Biloxi Lighthouse on the Gulf of Mexico on Hwy 90, and amazingly, I met another cacher there (the great and well-missed-around-here Breaktrack) during my hunt. I was so stoked after that first cache that I went home to identify more targets...and discovered that the next nearest was 15 miles away. My next at least 20-30 (50-100?) caches were all full-sizers hidden in a variety of places in the woods and along country roads in DeSoto National Forest and other mostly rural areas in Southern Mississippi..."hidden gem" locations I would never have found if not for someone posting coordinates and placing containers there. I put hundreds of miles on my odometer those first few weeks (and first 2 years, in fact!), and had a blast doing it. The game was also a "hidden, non-mainstream subculture" where I never felt like I had to worry about having to explain myself to non-cachers during the hunt...no one mistook you for a terrorist or pedophile if they ran across you alone hiking in the woods - just another appreciator of the outdoors.

I know: Times change, the game has changed, deal with it. Forum regulars who recognize my handle also know too well where I stand on some of those key issues that have caused those changes, in my opinion not for the better (but I know others agree to disagree with me on that perspective..I'm not going to fight it out again around here like I did earlier this year). And when I do cache now, I try harder to find cache hunts like that Upstate MN cacher described, to find ways for me to enjoy the game again.

Just thought I'd post the above real-world conversation and thoughts to see if others around here had related perspectives.

Edited by drat19

I fear that the "city guardrail micro" and related types are the future of caching in most areas. It appears to be what the bulk wants. On the one hand, areas that had very few caches a year or two ago have sprouted dozens. On the other hand, the only question is often, "which end of the guardrail is it?" I've done a few when it was convenient enough. No micro-search trips for me.

Regarding burnout...

I've found that the best way to deal with getting burned out is to tailor my PQs so they give me caches that I will most likely enjoy.

Currently, I run three PQs. I run one wide open; one with just micros and virts; and one with no micros or virts. I keep the terrain rating to 3.5 and below because I am still not fully up-to-speed.

With these three PQs, I can look for whatever type of cache I am in the mood for, no matter where I am in my area.

Given your stated preferences, I would suggest that you run your PQs to eliminate micros, with a high terrain rating and a fairly low difficulty rating.

Do what you can to have fun, without trying to change the game for everyone else.

I wont hide any new caches unless they require leaving the pavement, the scenery is top notch, and muggles aren't an issue.

I haven't hidden any new caches in at least a couple of years, but if I get back in the cache hiding game I intend to follow the same standard as above.

Regarding burnout...

I've found that the best way to deal with getting burned out is to tailor my PQs so they give me caches that I will most likely enjoy....

That's my preferred solution. Lately when I travel I've been excluding micros from some of my PQs, especially in urban areas. Not only does it allow your queries to cover more area (for example, you can run into the 500 limit within 8 miles in some cities, but excluding micros bumps the query radius up to 25mi or more), but after a while you find that you don't miss them. There are still enough regular caches out there no matter how dense the micros are.

Hey Drat, when the weather warms up I recommend taking a weekend and driving up to Manitoba. Lots of quality caches and very few micros, and the cachers there are friendly, too. :laughing:

Do what you can to have fun, without trying to change the game for everyone else.
Yep. I've given up. Apparently the masses want cheap 'n easy stats with minimal effort. Can't fight it anymore.
From your post, you prefer your caches to be large, easy to find, and at the end of a hike. You'll never convince everyone that all geocaches must fit those three standards.
Yep. I've given up. Apparently the masses want cheap 'n easy stats with minimal effort. Can't fight it anymore.
From your post, you prefer your caches to be large, easy to find, and at the end of a hike. You'll never convince everyone that all geocaches must fit those three standards.

Not necessarily all of 'em, but yes, that's the general style of cache that got me (and apparently quite a few others of my era) hooked on this game. As to the "easy to find" standard, I think most would agree that while they don't have to be "gimmes" once you get to the coords (after all, "back in the day" we still felt like we were "in on a secret" that others hiking in the same woods were unaware of), they should still be reasonable enough that you can feel confident that a. the cache is still there, and b. that you have at least some shot of finding it, as a reward for your hiking efforts.

And you're right, the masses have apparently spoken and not all agree with this point of view.

Edited by drat19

Caching is what you make of it. I try to mix in some regular sized caches in the woods along with some urban park and parking lot micros. A nice variety. I know that if I did nothing but easy micros two weeks in a row, I'd be burned out and bored.

As the finds have racked up, my caching habits have changed. I'm more willing now to skip or postpone finding caches that look and sound boring. For example, I put off finding some park-n-grab caches that were within 5mi of my office. Earlier this year I would have been trying to be first or second to find. It just wasn't worth the trip anymore to go lift some lamp skirts. I took walks through neighborhoods during my lunch hour instead.

Those parking lot caches got put off until this weekend when they were on the way to finding some regular-sized caches that required walking. Spent 3 hours walking around one park and an hour at another. Had a good time. I am a numbers cacher, but I do like to walk around and admire my surroundings while caching.

I think the key to good caching health is the same as that for physical health. Good balanced diet of micros, ammo cans, multis, and the occasional puzzle/mystery. Micros, like fast food burgers, might taste great going down. But later on you won't be feeling too well. Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Not necessarily all of 'em, but yes, that's the general style of cache that got me (and apparently quite a few others of my era) hooked on this game. As to the "easy to find" standard, I think most would agree that while they don't have to be "gimmes" once you get to the coords (after all, "back in the day" we still felt like we were "in on a secret" that others hiking in the same woods were unaware of), they should still be reasonable enough that you can feel confident that a. the cache is still there, and b. that you have at least some shot of finding it, as a reward for your hiking efforts.

Of your era? I'm not sure what you mean. Are you calling yourself a noob?

<waves> Hi drat19, it;s nice to see you in here again</waves>

I think my home turf has a great balance and variety of all types of caches with all kinids of attributes to satisfy most anyone. Well except for serious climbers. You just cannot create some terrain challenges on your own. :laughing:

Yesterday I was in the mood for some mid-length woodsy hikes. It's also safest to go onto gamelands on Sundays during hunting season in these parts. I was on-call with work, and didn't want to get too far from the car should I be needed there, but didn't want to do a bunch of park 'n grabs either. I drove past several caches of other types just to get to the ones I was targeting.

Funny you should term this "old school" caching, cuz here is my log from one of those hunts:

Found this one old school-no cache page, no hints. Just a boy and his GPS out playing in the woods. Neat spot. I would have come here often if I grew up nearby.

Even funnier though was the email I got this morning from a newer cacher I haven't met yet, but was signing some of the same caches ahead of me yesterday. I commented (somewhat sarcastically) in my log that it was a fairly easy find due to the rather obvious pile of parallel sticks on top of the ammo can. He told me that they spent too much time hunting that one, so they left it that way to make it easier for the next person, and he was glad I was able to 'benefit' from his 'improvements'. I thinked him, and pointed out that it really isn't how we play around here, I was being a bit facetious in my log, and the site looks a bit more natural today. :unsure:

I'm an "old school" cacher like Drat, and I think we tend to forget that there were micros back in '02. It wasn't all ammo cans hidden in pristine locations. True, there's way too many trashy micros now but there's some real quality out there if you chose to spend a little time to find it.

You're probably selective about the food you eat and the company that you keep, so it would make sense to select only caches that appeal to you as well.

Edited by 9Key

I'm an "old school" cacher like Drat, and I think we tend to forget that there were micros back in '02. It wasn't all ammo cans hidden in pristine locations.

Very true. You'll note in the OP that my first cache was a micro...Biloxi's ONLY micro at the time. But of my next 50+ caches I don't think there were ANY micros...it was ammo cans (and other non-micro containers...I recall that recycled Coleman gallon drink coolers were popular in my area back then) in the woods and other off-the-beaten-path locations that I was thrilled to discover thanks to caches being placed there.

Edited by drat19

I think we have a pretty good mix around here. In my opinion, I think it is the "numbers game" that has partly led to alot of the "not so high quality" micros around. Both in terms of letting cachers inflate their finds, as well as their Hides numbers. There are micros that fit where they are, though there are others that seem to just be put out for no apparent reason... a guard rail along the frontage rd of a highway... with no scenery of any sort around.

I only have 3 caches out right now, but they are all ammo boxes. And I will be placing another ammo box in the near future.

My story was similar, just without the numbers-ho part. I wasn’t enjoying the run-around micros that seemed to be popping up everywhere. Then I noticed something. In the Northwest forums there is a Milestone Congratulations thread, where we send congrats to people who have made some special number of finds. They almost always ‘save’ a good (and difficult) cache to commemorate that particular number (as I did on my 100). So I thought, “Wait a minute, if we’re going to celebrate our numbers by finding a good cache, why not just always find the good caches and skip the rest?” :laughing:

So that’s how I cache now.

I guess I'm lucky living in Edinburgh, a city that has so many parks (including a huge hilly park right in the city centre), hills and great areas all around that the cache placers around here always place well thought-out, good-quality caches. I'm not so sure "micro-spew" is such a problem in the UK as in the US, but Edinburgh is certainly a diamond in the rough. If I lived in a city where micros were the norm then I don't think I would have gotten into the sport with as much enthusiasm as I have.

Caching? I did one spurt this summer just to break 1000. It was a pure numbers run. My area has gone over to the dark side and most urban caches fit the micro spew definition. I went out to break 1000 fully expecting a day of micro spew. Nothing doing. It was a great day of caching. There were micros, but there were small caches and ammo cans in hidden corners of the town that I had not yet seen. What a pleasant suprise to find that the game had morphed up a notch or two locally.

I can't say that I've even come close to being burned out. I find whatever cache catches my fancy, either it is a planned event or just whatever is close by. I've never really concerned myself with wonderful views, and all that other fluff (they have always been there)- it is what it is, some sort of container placed somewhere that I try to get to so I can sign my name on a slip of paper and then go online and share my experience and get a smiley face.

Why overthink this, geocaching is what you make it.

I get burned out with urban caches quite frequently. For nearest to home, I actually go find them so my PQ can expand as far as possible without having to manage ignore lists. Besides, I enjoy the creativity of how local cachers hide micros so I don't want to miss out.

When I am on a road trip, I do the drive-by, as in not stopping for them. :laughing: I embed the container size in the waypoint name, so if I see a cache-dense area with bunch of "M" around, I just drive right on by. If an urban micro is lucky enough to be located within walking distance from a Virtual, I might visit it.

I like to visit old waypoints. That seems to cure the burnout. In most cases, it's a Regular size container in a slightly out-of-way location away from muggles. It doesn't have to be an ammo box, just have to be well-maintained. Having the original log book to read the experience of "old school caching" is a big plus. :unsure:

I wholeheartedly agree. I found almost exactly 200 caches my first year, but only 40 since. Somehow, the thrill of still another "log only" micro has somewhat waned. I still love to find full-size caches in scenic places, still like innovative containers almost anywhere and tolerate even a ho-hum hide if there's a real reason to draw me to an interesting place.

I'm committed to placing nothing but clever new containers (or at least containers not seen in my home area before) or ammo boxes in great places. The sincere and copious compliments I've received for my series of hides may indicate that there are plenty of other cachers who feel the same way.

For those who like them or for whom numbers are king - well, I wish you joy for posts and rails festooned with key boxes.

Imagine for a moment that all the caches placed in parking lots, and on private property (sans permission) were archived. :laughing:

I think the game would be better off, and be more "old school." Just imagine not having to worry about trespassing issues, confrontations with security/property owners/ and Law enforcement. I think geocaching would lose 80 to 90% of it's negative press attention.

Imagine for a moment that all the caches placed in parking lots, and on private property (sans permission) were archived. :unsure:

I think the game would be better off, and be more "old school." Just imagine not having to worry about trespassing issues, confrontations with security/property owners/ and Law enforcement. I think geocaching would lose 80 to 90% of it's negative press attention.

The game may be better off for cachers like Kit Fox (and the others that post to thread, myself included) but they fail to realize that geocaching has also attracted what I call the urban cacher. These are people who don't want to go on long hikes to find a cache. Some are motivated by numbers and prefer the park 'n grabs in order to find a lot of caches, but I think most just like the ability to find something hidden down the street where muggles pass without knowing a cache is there. Sure a few of the techniques that work well for hiding caches here have been replicated ad naseum. But to the urban cacher it may not be the cleverness of the hide or the "wowness" of the location that is as important as much as the fact that here is a secret the muggles don't know about.

While we have a lot more of the urban hides, there are also a lot more cachers like Kit Fox who are hiding the kinds of caches they like to find. There is no shortage of caches in interesting locations and caches that require hikes. There are even plenty of regular sized cache to find. At least in my area, but I suspect this is true in most areas with that have lots of geocachers. You simply have to look for the kinds of cache you want to find. It may take a little more work where there are a lot of urban hides, but it is doable.

I have two rules when I am urban caching. 1) When I stop having fun, I stop. 2) I try to include a few hikes during the day and if not, then try to plan my next cache outing for a serious hike.

BTW, I did a couple of Kit Fox's hides yesterday that required a short hike (about .5 miles each way). But my guess is that in a few months these two caches will become park and grabs (unless there is No Parking posted along the new road, in which case you may still have to park .5 miles away) It seems that it is not MicroSpew that we need to worry about, but suburban sprawl :laughing:

My area has gone over to the dark side and most urban caches fit the micro spew definition.
Sigh... :laughing:

I wonder why you chose to leave out the last part of his post:

... I went out to break 1000 fully expecting a day of micro spew. Nothing doing. It was a great day of caching. There were micros, but there were small caches and ammo cans in hidden corners of the town that I had not yet seen. What a pleasant suprise to find that the game had morphed up a notch or two locally.
... it may not be the cleverness of the hide or the "wowness" of the location that is as important as much as the fact that here is a secret the muggles don't know about. ...

You've hit on the very thing that drew me to this game. I find that as long as I keep this in mind, I have fun. When I stop thinking of the game in this way, it kind of starts to be work (no matter if I am looking for an easy micro on a stop sign or hiking in the woods looking for the pile of sticks). That's when I have to step back and remember what makes the game fun, for me.

Edited by sbell111

...but they fail to realize that geocaching has also attracted what I call the urban cacher...

Attracted, or defaulted? (i.e., Urban cachers came along because they discovered the game, did a search for nearest caches, found pages and pages of these, and figured that "this must be the game" and just kept playing and growing that "version of the game" (to loosely quote Snoogans...))

...but they fail to realize that geocaching has also attracted what I call the urban cacher...
Attracted, or defaulted? (i.e., Urban cachers came along because they discovered the game, did a search for nearest caches, found pages and pages of these, and figured that "this must be the game" and just kept playing and growing that "version of the game" (to loosely quote Snoogans...))

People who like to hike hide caches in the woods. People who don't like to hike, don't hike just to hide a cache.

As the game grew, it attracted more than just techno geeks and hikers. People discovered the game and played it in locations that they were familiar with.

My area has gone over to the dark side and most urban caches fit the micro spew definition.

... I went out to break 1000 fully expecting a day of micro spew. Nothing doing. It was a great day of caching. There were micros, but there were small caches and ammo cans in hidden corners of the town that I had not yet seen. What a pleasant suprise to find that the game had morphed up a notch or two locally.

Because it was a good point, separate and distinct from the point I quoted/commented, that required no further commentary from me.

You're not going to goad me into a rerun of last June's debates, sbell. You know where I stand on those issues; I'm not going to rehash them again...it's a debate that I finally admit I can't win - the masses have spoken and this "version" of the game is what they've decided they want. I'm just offering up pertinent discussion and commentary now, and hoping to find fun ways to play the game again (going back to my OP).

Edited by drat19

Regarding burnout...

I've found that the best way to deal with getting burned out is to tailor my PQs so they give me caches that I will most likely enjoy.

Currently, I run three PQs. I run one wide open; one with just micros and virts; and one with no micros or virts. I keep the terrain rating to 3.5 and below because I am still not fully up-to-speed.

With these three PQs, I can look for whatever type of cache I am in the mood for, no matter where I am in my area.

Given your stated preferences, I would suggest that you run your PQs to eliminate micros, with a high terrain rating and a fairly low difficulty rating.

It's nice to see someone comment here that works with the system and keeps caching, despite the apparent current trend towards "cliché caches".

But to the urban cacher it may not be the cleverness of the hide or the "wowness" of the location that is as important as much as the fact that here is a secret the muggles don't know about.

I admit it. This is a big part of why I like to geocache. In fact, my father and I were headed towards Boston Market for takeout and I knew of an magnetic keyholder that was in plain sight that I'd logged a couple of months previous. I drove past it and pointed it out to him. He had the same kind of reaction I did. Unfortunately he's not in any shape to go hiking, and I don't expect that he's going to even take up the hobby, but if he did, the urban caches are the only ones he would be able to go after.

Maybe next time I'll take him to find one that I haven't yet logged.

I know this isn't true because I see new cachers that are avoiding the urban caches to to do the kinds of finds they like to do. Someone who only likes hiking caches has it easy as they can search for caches with terrain of 2 or higher (like I did when I started). They can use the Geocaching Google maps to find what caches are in the park where their favorite hike trail is. I doubt these people are being turned into urban caches just because the nearest cache to where they live is a lamp post hide. On the other hand, I have talked with plenty of cachers who are hiding urban hides and they will usually say things like "My neighborhood needs more caches, there aren't enough here and I don't have time to drive across town everytime I want to find a cache" I suspect, if the only caches were hiking caches these people wouldn't have started gecoaching at all. It may make some sense to ask why they are hiding caches in parking lots and alleys instead of in parks. But in many areas there is a shortage of urban parks and some of the more effective hiding technique don't always work in an urban park.

Because it was a good point, separate and distinct from the point I quoted/commented, that required no further commentary from me.

You're not going to goad me into a rerun of last June's debates, sbell. You know where I stand on those issues; I'm not going to rehash them again...it's a debate that I finally admit I can't win - the masses have spoken and this "version" of the game is what they've decided they want. I'm just offering up pertinent discussion and commentary now, and hoping to find fun ways to play the game again (going back to my OP).

As I explained in my earlier post, I believe that we all can get what we want out of this game. All a person has to do is decide what they like and figure out how to filter the data to get a high percentage of what we like.

Regarding RK's post, my understanding of it was that his perceptions of his area was different than the reality that he found when he went on a numbers run. If this is, in fact, what he meant, the two halves of his post are very much connected to one another. Separating the two, changes his meaning, in my opinion.

As I explained in my earlier post, I believe that we all can get what we want out of this game. All a person has to do is decide what they like and figure out how to filter the data to get a high percentage of what we like.

Regarding RK's post, my understanding of it was that his perceptions of his area was different than the reality that he found when he went on a numbers run. If this is, in fact, what he meant, the two halves of his post are very much connected to one another. Separating the two, changes his meaning, in my opinion.

Fair enough counterpoint, sbell.

I know this isn't true because I see new cachers that are avoiding the urban caches to to do the kinds of finds they like to do. Someone who only likes hiking caches has it easy as they can search for caches with terrain of 2 or higher (like I did when I started). They can use the Geocaching Google maps to find what caches are in the park where their favorite hike trail is. I doubt these people are being turned into urban caches just because the nearest cache to where they live is a lamp post hide. On the other hand, I have talked with plenty of cachers who are hiding urban hides and they will usually say things like "My neighborhood needs more caches, there aren't enough here and I don't have time to drive across town everytime I want to find a cache" I suspect, if the only caches were hiking caches these people wouldn't have started gecoaching at all. It may make some sense to ask why they are hiding caches in parking lots and alleys instead of in parks. But in many areas there is a shortage of urban parks and some of the more effective hiding technique don't always work in an urban park.

Fair counterpoints, toza.

I've made the argument in the past on these forums and in this article that I published over 2 years ago that "just because a location CAN support a geocache hide doesn't necessarily mean that it SHOULD". Sadly, it appears that battle has been lost, so all we can do now is the best we can and try to find what we want to find.

My purpose with my OP was the spark a discussion about this based on my first-hand experience in conversation this past weekend, and also see how many others share similar (or differing) thoughts and experiences. And so it goes.

Edited by drat19

To sum up my post. My area had gone over to the dark side and I was very happy with all my finds and even my DNF on my numbers run. Maybe it was a fluke, maybe it's the new trend. If I cached more I'd know.

That said now that I do have my 'numbers' firmly rooted in 1000 my focus has changed. I don't care if I go caching on any one day. I don't need to be FTF. I made a day to assist with a cache placment recently and that cache has garnered "best cache I've seen in a long time" comments. I'm looking into the logistics of a power trail. Not for the numbers so much as to tempt people to walk a ridgeline. Does it matter if it's a power trail so much as I know those who do the cache, will have a good time?

My table is cleared. I don't have to rush, I can go for a cache day of micro's just for kicks or a cache day involving a hike down into the snake river canyon and get one. Fun is fun. If it's not fun and you do it anyway, that's burn out. If it's fun and you do...it speaks for itself.

Recently I went fishing and didn't even think about a cache. That's why I'm not burned out. Because I can do that.

WAREYATDRAT :

I've traveled around the country ( and some foreign) and I haven't really seen a problem. There was one place that in two days my wife and I picked up 100 but 60 or 70 were telephone/lightpole/parkinglot hides........she was bummed and I was ambivilant but if I had to do that for a few weeks running I'd be outa here. This is an exception. I download caches for wherever we're going and we take them as they come ( if I'm traveling I may not do long multi's) and what I've found around the country in a nice blend of micro's ( some very clever), hiking trails with regulars, and an occasional virtual cache ( if cemeteries are no longer o.k. for caches we need to allow virtuals there........these are my favorites)

After a recent back problem where I couldn't put on my shoes I can appreciate what was just said about urban micro's being good for the infirmed.

Part of burn-out can be having to go further and further from home as you find the close ones....... contstantly re-tracing your routes over familiar areas.

I guess the bottom line is look for what you like finding ( that cache in a Wallmart lot isn't depriving someone of a place on a trail to hide a regular but for someone it may provide entertainment while at the same time it should cause no one distress)

Hey Dave, went shopping in Old Town Bay St. Louis Saturday and hit the Peanut Lady by Stennis Space Center......beautifull day and great caching.

I'm just over 3 years caching now and have jsut cracked the 900 mark. Not for lack of opportunity. I live 20 miles from San Jose where there are a LOT of big numebr cachers. My numbers COULD be just as high, but I pass up more caches than I hunt for.

I like hikes. Those are the caches I go for most of the time. Sometimes, when I feel the urge to "just go find something" I'll go after a few micros. Most of the time, they are not in great locations IMO, but I've done a number that are.

I don't look down on the numbers people. For some it's a reflection of what they like. For some, it's what they can do. For me, I'll continue to do what I like to do and stay happy with the game.

I do however worry that when new people start, they'll see the lame micros (not all are lame mind you) and that's what they'll replicate. I just count on the fact that they'll imitate what they like.

My story was similar, just without the numbers-ho part. I wasn't enjoying the run-around micros that seemed to be popping up everywhere. Then I noticed something. In the Northwest forums there is a Milestone Congratulations thread, where we send congrats to people who have made some special number of finds. They almost always 'save' a good (and difficult) cache to commemorate that particular number (as I did on my 100). So I thought, "Wait a minute, if we're going to celebrate our numbers by finding a good cache, why not just always find the good caches and skip the rest?" :unsure:

So that's how I cache now.

Great point! Let's find a "good" cache for our milestone! :laughing: Why can't most of them be "good?" :unsure: Anyhow, I feel the same exact way because I'm really burned out too. I was up in LA this past weekend for my youngest son's Volleyball tournanment and I felt no urge to do any urban caches. I even had plenty of free time, but I couldn't stand the thought of finding boring spew. Mark my words, Terracaching will eventually win over most of the old time cachers unless GC wakes up and provides the old timer types a way to easy filter out the wheat from the chaff. For now, ignoring all urban caches is the best way to do this.

WAREYATDRAT :

Hey Dave, went shopping in Old Town Bay St. Louis Saturday and hit the Peanut Lady by Stennis Space Center......beautifull day and great caching.

Heh, perhaps one of these days I'll spend enough time back home to actually cache the area again and re-discover "our new Gulf Coast". These days, though, I'm a Minnesota cacher...go figure.

My story was similar, just without the numbers-ho part. I wasn't enjoying the run-around micros that seemed to be popping up everywhere. Then I noticed something. In the Northwest forums there is a Milestone Congratulations thread, where we send congrats to people who have made some special number of finds. They almost always 'save' a good (and difficult) cache to commemorate that particular number (as I did on my 100). So I thought, "Wait a minute, if we're going to celebrate our numbers by finding a good cache, why not just always find the good caches and skip the rest?" :unsure:

Thats pretty much how I do it now.

Great point! Let's find a "good" cache for our milestone! :laughing: Why can't most of them be "good?" :unsure: Anyhow, I feel the same exact way because I'm really burned out too. I was up in LA this past weekend for my youngest son's Volleyball tournanment and I felt no urge to do any urban caches. I even had plenty of free time, but I couldn't stand the thought of finding boring spew. Mark my words, Terracaching will eventually win over most of the old time cachers unless GC wakes up and provides the old timer types a way to easy filter out the wheat from the chaff. For now, ignoring all urban caches is the best way to do this.

That is called the pocket query. By filtering caches out, with a terrain rating less than 2.5, you can easily weed out 99% of the Micro Spew !

... Anyhow, I feel the same exact way because I'm really burned out too. I was up in LA this past weekend for my youngest son's Volleyball tournanment and I felt no urge to do any urban caches. I even had plenty of free time, but I couldn't stand the thought of finding boring spew. Mark my words, Terracaching will eventually win over most of the old time cachers unless GC wakes up and provides the old timer types a way to easy filter out the wheat from the chaff. For now, ignoring all urban caches is the best way to do this.

I really believe that it is the mindset that we use to approach the game that determines the fun we will have. When I was trapped in LA for a few weeks on business, I would take long walks and hit the caches that got in my way. It was big fun because I was finding things in a strange city (few places are stranger than LA) that the locals were totally unaware of.

I was able to learn about the areas I was caching in, I got plenty of exercise, and I left my stress behind.

BTW, I reject your suggestion that the old timers are going to revolt and leave GC.com. I suspect that a good many of the 'old timers' are just like me. I am very happy with GC.com because I know how to use GC.com to enjoy the game. Most of it is my midset, but I carefully filter my data, when I need to.

Thats pretty much how I do it now.

That is called the pocket query. By filtering caches out, with a terrain rating less than 2.5, you can easily weed out 99% of the Micro Spew !
That's why I said "For now, ignoring all urban caches is the best way to do this." The problem is that some really good lower terrain caches will get ignored using this method. So to me that method is like cutting with a dull knife. Edited by TrailGators