Magellan Explorist 500 map installation

rws

Having only owned Garmin GPS receivers in the past I thought I would check out Magellan. I just recently purchased an Explorist 500 Traveler Bundle online at a great price of $209 delivered...the package included MapSend DirectRoute NA V3, vehicle mount, Li-Ion battery, USB and battery charger cables and a cig power cord.

Now I have to say that Magellan sure has a different way of getting detailed maps loaded into the Explorist series as compared to the ease of loading maps into a Garmin. So I made up a video showing the process that may help someone struggling with getting maps into their Explorist series. Actually I created two videos (play in Windows Media Player)...one showing how to get the maps onto your data card and the other how to enable the maps on the GPSr. I also wrote up step by step text instructions found in the READ_ME_FIRST.txt file (print the instructions out to follow along with video)

MagellanMapDemo.zip video

Nicely done...two videos must be worth about 10 bajillion words. It would be nice if Magellan offered this type of tutorial on their web site so you wouldn't have to create them yourself.

Would you mind if I linked to your files from my Explorist review? (you might not want to...I'm not sure if the bandwidth demand might possibly push you over limits...if that turned out to be a problem, though, I'd happily take the link down)

Nicely done...two videos must be worth about 10 bajillion words. It would be nice if Magellan offered this type of tutorial on their web site so you wouldn't have to create them yourself.

Would you mind if I linked to your files from my Explorist review? (you might not want to...I'm not sure if the bandwidth demand might possibly push you over limits...if that turned out to be a problem, though, I'd happily take the link down)

Better yet...take my zip file and host it on your site...then I won't have to worry about my bandwidth. I would appreciate a notation of credit on your site for creating the video.

:P I down loaded the .zip ... I can read the text & view the wmv_2, but the wmv_1 gives me the viewer with this message "The channel does not support the stream format". So .... I can see how to acess the maps in the GPSR but can't view the video on how to do the technical part, gittin' 'em in there.

Thanks Norm

OS X 10.4.8 ---- Windows Media Version 9.0

I also wrote up step by step text instructions found in the READ_ME_FIRST.txt file (print the instructions out to follow along with video)

I can read the text & view the wmv_2, but the wmv_1 gives me the viewer with this message "The channel does not support the stream format". So .... I can see how to acess the maps in the GPSR but can't view the video on how to do the technical part, gittin' 'em in there.

OS X 10.4.8 ---- Windows Media Version 9.0

The latest version of QuickTime Player for Mac OS will support playback of Windows Media files. There is also an application called Flip 4 Mac that installs as part of the QT Player and let's you export a Windows Media File into another format.

Edited by Prairie Dog

The issue isn't that I need alternate software, I can open the second video, not the first!

Norm

The latest version of QuickTime Player for Mac OS will support playback of Windows Media files. There is also an application called Flip 4 Mac that installs as part of the QT Player and let's you export a Windows Media File into another format.

I followed the manual step by step and it did not read anything on the card. I looked through the read me text for this and it was exactly the steps that I followed. Still nothing.

has anyone else had the problem that there serial # is one character longer then the software allows for? this is the only reason I could see for it not working. :lol:

has anyone else had the problem that there serial # is one character longer then the software allows for? this is the only reason I could see for it not working. :lol:

That's probably it. IIRC people with 600s had to drop the leading digits or something like that (MapSend took my 500's serial number as displayed in the about screen). You can try an experiment to see if you find the right combination, or maybe a 600 owner will tell you what worked for them.

If it helps any, my serial number begins "1184..."

has anyone else had the problem that there serial # is one character longer then the software allows for? this is the only reason I could see for it not working. :D

That's probably it. IIRC people with 600s had to drop the leading digits or something like that (MapSend took my 500's serial number as displayed in the about screen). You can try an experiment to see if you find the right combination, or maybe a 600 owner will tell you what worked for them.

If it helps any, my serial number begins "1184..."

think that may be it.. .mine starts 01181

thanks for the help, for others when i get it I will let you know

also mine is the 500 (non le)

Having only owned Garmin GPS receivers in the past I thought I would check out Magellan. I just recently purchased an Explorist 500 Traveler Bundle online at a great price of $209 delivered...the package included MapSend DirectRoute NA V3, vehicle mount, Li-Ion battery, USB and battery charger cables and a cig power cord.

Now I have to say that Magellan sure has a different way of getting detailed maps loaded into the Explorist series as compared to the ease of loading maps into a Garmin. So I made up a video showing the process that may help someone struggling with getting maps into their Explorist series. Actually I created two videos (play in Windows Media Player)...one showing how to get the maps onto your data card and the other how to enable the maps on the GPSr. I also wrote up step by step text instructions found in the READ_ME_FIRST.txt file (print the instructions out to follow along with video)

Hello RWS

I am trying to fownload your video but get the notice of non existent video.

Could you please send me the video by PM?

Thanks

Domingos Matos

Hello RWS

I am trying to fownload your video but get the notice of non existent video.

Could you please send me the video by PM?

Thanks

Domingos Matos

try sending him a email or try Embra