Please leave the cache better off

fabasard

<RANT> I may take heat for this, but I have to say it because I see so many caches degrading. People PLEASE leave a cache better off than when you left it. I understand that there are times when you find a cache and don't have trade well "TNLN". But please don't consider a plastic bag an equal or grater trade than a TB or a geocoin, or a flashlight or the like. We place caches for the kids, so sure the things might be small in price, but leave the cache better off. I intend to place a cache either later this year or early next year and plan to put some nice stuff in it. I just don't want to see it fall to "bad stuff to find" in a months time. We TRY to leave better than we take, so PLEASE UPGRADE your swag. </RANT> Fabasard

I intend to place a cache either later this year or early next year and plan to put some nice stuff in it. I just don't want to see it fall to "bad stuff to find" in a months time.

Don't worry, you won't.

(It usually only takes a week or two. ) :laughing:

and travelbugs are specifically NOT trade items. taking an item and leaving just a travelbug is not correct, while leaving nothing and taking a tb is ok.

I will agree wholeheartedly with the OP's main complaint. Of course we hear so much lately about how micros are affecting the quality of the game, but it seems like when one does encounter an ammo can cache the contents are less than pleasing.

I have just moved to a new area and am busy logging the nearest caches. One positive thing I am finding is that at least around here, the majority of the caches are regular sized. However, I was very disappointed to find that most of the swag had degenerated into pocket trash over time.

I even noticed in a recent log at a cache that a finder had taken a very nice item left by the cache's sponsor (property owner not cache owner) and was brazen enough even to say had they left nothing in trade.

I really don't knnow if the answer may be education or it is just a culture and mindset. I have been putting off placing an amendment to my ownn cache's description's about the "rules" of trading but probably will do so in short order. Guess I am just tired of seeing my own caches be a free grab bag to those cachers who are less than generous and fair, but I question if even doing that will have an affect.

We've gotten into geocaching just recently and so far have been lucky enough to log finds in 4 states, so have at least a wide sample size. It (insert appropriate word here) amazes, annoys, pisses me off, makes me shake my head, when I find things like broken fishing reels, dirty golf balls and a stinking broken balloon :unsure: in a cache that someone has taken the time to place, put cammo on, log, track, invest in and take care of.

I mean Jeeeeez already! How tough is it to carry some interesting stuff around to leave in caches? Ya gotta take the GPS, maybe a map, a water bottle, or whatever else to go looking for something. Seems to me that the least someone could do is respect the game and the time the cache placer invested and find some interesting and maybe silly or fun doo-dad to leave.

Doesn't matter if you take something, but for goodness sake, leave something that will make the next finder smile a little. If you can't leave something nice, don't leave anything at all. (Jeez, now I sound like my mom.....)

Sorry, I will now go back to lurking around reading other topics. :laughing:

Let's change the direction just a tad. How about those cachers that completey detroy an area looking for a cache?

I'd rather find out that someone didn't exactly *tradeup* than to go back to one of my cache locations and find out that some completely destroyed the area looking for it. Is that really necessary? Have you had the same experience?

I had a cache that was in a really hard to find place. And the attibutes said so. The terrain was mild, but the hide was hard. The next time I went out there, it's no longer a bushwhack to get to it, it's like an open field almost. Completely destroyed. And I'm pretty sure it was done by a pretty well known cacher. Being new (only 200 finds at at the time) I didn't want to say anything. But now I've seen it over and over. Should I stop hiding hard ones? Should I make a statement to the cacher I suspect?

Let's change the direction just a tad. How about those cachers that completey detroy an area looking for a cache?

I'd rather find out that someone didn't exactly *tradeup* than to go back to one of my cache locations and find out that some completely destroyed the area looking for it. Is that really necessary? Have you had the same experience?

I had a cache that was in a really hard to find place. And the attibutes said so. The terrain was mild, but the hide was hard. The next time I went out there, it's no longer a bushwhack to get to it, it's like an open field almost. Completely destroyed. And I'm pretty sure it was done by a pretty well known cacher. Being new (only 200 finds at at the time) I didn't want to say anything. But now I've seen it over and over. Should I stop hiding hard ones? Should I make a statement to the cacher I suspect?

I don't know about anyone else but I do perform a rather comprehensive enviromental impact study before placing any cache.

Just kidding of course, but I do mention in the cache description about any natural feature that may be harmed in looking for the cache and how to avoid damage (i.e. don't climb on the rocks etc. to reach the cache).