Top 50 posters

El Diablo

I was just looking at the top 50 posters (I'm one.) and I was wondering, do you give their posts more weight than others? When you are looking for answers, do you look at the number of posts, date joined, caches found, or what?

Or do you take it on face value?

Me personally, and it shouldn't have anything to do with it....I look at the date joined. I also respect posts by certain people, like Keystone, Briansnat, Renegade Knight, Totem Lake, Fizzy Majic, Blue Duce, Coyote Red, and a few others. If I see these people have posted I normally don't read the thread because I know they usually echo my thoughts.

El Diablo

I haven't read all of this (any really just your first post) just want to chime in real fast that going by how posts shouldn't be done because there’s people (like me) that spend Most of their time in Off Topic, which those posts DON'T count towards total posts... I show 293 (right this second) but if you know where to look you can see I have another 7137. I think I'll look over this thread after my nap...

I was just looking at the top 50 posters (I'm one.) and I was wondering, do you give their posts more weight than others? When you are looking for answers, do you look at the number of posts, date joined, caches found, or what?

Me personally, and it shouldn't have anything to do with it....I look at the date joined. I also respect posts by certain people, like Keystone, Briansnat, Renegade Knight, Totem Lake, Fizzy Majic, Blue Duce, Coyote Red, and a few others. If I see these people have posted I normally don't read the thread because I know they usually echo my thoughts.

El Diablo

I haven't read all of this (any really just your first post) just want to chime in real fast that going by how posts shouldn't be done because there’s people (like me) that spend Most of their time in Off Topic, which those posts DON'T count towards total posts... I show 293 (right this second) but if you know where to look you can see I have another 7137. I think I'll look over this thread after my nap...

Wanda, trust me. Just leave it alone. Sometimes it's better to walk away with your dignity than slog through to make a point.

Wanda, trust me. Just leave it alone. Sometimes it's better to walk away with your dignity than slog through to make a point.

I can't tell you how many times I've wished that I learned that lesson in these forums.

Amen!

El Diablo

Hush. I'm just trying to get my post count up.

I hear that at 10,000 posts you get a cereal bowl and matching spoon.

I can't tell you how many times I've wished that I learned that lesson in these forums.

Amen!

El Diablo

Actually it's just the spoon. Read the fine print.

El Diablo

Amen!

El Diablo

El Diablo

Dang. I bet Briansnat got the cereal bowl.... dagnabbit.

El Diablo

I haven't read all of this (any really just your first post) just want to chime in real fast that going by how posts shouldn't be done because there's people (like me) that spend Most of their time in Off Topic, which those posts DON'T count towards total posts... I show 293 (right this second) but if you know where to look you can see I have another 7137. I think I'll look over this thread after my nap...

Eh, until I seen these two posts I'd only planed on the one posting. I've finished the thread. I see a lot of good responses and alot of useless ones. I'm almost in tears because I wasted the time, but something about Cheers being empty and me taking too long of a nap I had to read something.

I hate learning lessons...
Gosh I hate to make an off topic post, but...

Do not try and earn the spoon...that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth...

What truth?

There is no spoon.

What about the decoder ring?
The decoder ring is real, but it's just cheap plastic and only has 23 letters on it. Also, S&H is $13.95.
Gosh I hate to make an off topic post, but...

Do not try and earn the spoon...that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth...

What truth?

There is no spoon.

What about the decoder ring?
The decoder ring is real, but it's just cheap plastic and only has 23 letters on it. Also, S&H is $13.95.

Hmph. Things were a lot better when we only had to deal with the folks from Battle Creek, Michigan.

edit....

opps - wrong topic

(note to self - learn to click the mouse.....)

And here I just looked at this thread out of curiosity for why it was bumped! :D

Oh well. For something ontopic: I have been trying to not carry much weight.

I've been whining about the extra weight, but not really doing anything about it.

edit....

opps - wrong topic

(note to self - learn to click the mouse.....)

And here I just looked at this thread out of curiosity for why it was bumped! :D

Oh well. For something ontopic: I have been trying to not carry much weight.

Ease off the beer?

:D

J/K

:o I really think more credit should be given to final posters in any given forum. I've probably killed more topics, due to my precise analysis of the issues, than most posters. :unsure:

I agree. I've begun to notice that a bit myself! <_<

Edited by JamGuys

...what's the point?

So I can ponder if I should just shut the hell up when I hit 20,000.

GPSax almost did when he hit 20K. He doesn't post near as much now. Although, I think his real world obligations are the cause and not that he has lost his voice.

RK, I doubt a number will make you shut up any more than it would me. :o

Anyone can become the top poster. If you think about it, all they would have to do is copy and paste "I'm Number 1" or some other stupid phrase into about 20,000 posts.

For that reason, I think it is more important to look at experience such as time spent caching, number of find, and status, since moderators are usually more experienced then general members.

Anyone can become the top poster. If you think about it, all they would have to do is copy and paste "I'm Number 1" or some other stupid phrase into about 20,000 posts.

For that reason, I think it is more important to look at experience such as time spent caching, number of find, and status, since moderators are usually more experienced then general members.

(Bold added)

Ok, who are you trying to win over? :o

I seriously doubt that our fine moderation team would allow that. They'd be suspended first and then banninated if they continued.

As for the rest, I could care less what kind of experience someone has on most subjects. If they make sense. I will read what they have to say.

That said, I usually poke around a poster's profile if their handle is new to me and they regularly cross my radar. Mostly because I'm nosey. :o

I would say that anyone can become a top poster on any forum if they are as full of "it" and themself to stick around and regularly post. Wellll, that and they need a thick skin. <_<

Edited by Snoogans

Talk is cheap. There is certainly no shortage of long winded people. I find that those that talk the most tend to know the least.

Heh...that's funny...Most of my eighthundred some odd posts are jokes,ramblings,or smileys.Sometimes it's just not worth arguingdebating with folks.

...what's the point?

So I can ponder if I should just shut the hell up when I hit 20,000.

GPSax almost did when he hit 20K. He doesn't post near as much now. Although, I think his real world obligations are the cause and not that he has lost his voice.

RK, I doubt a number will make you shut up any more than it would me. :unsure:

Anyone disagree?Anyone?*Looks around* :o

I thought so. <_<

When reading the 'getting started' (still kinda a noob) forum, I tend to heed the opinions of the more experienced posters. This doesn't always mean number of posts, rather how long they have been Geocaching. As for other posts, I weigh each opinion as unique, no matter how many posts the poster has. unless the person doesn't use punctuation. That just plain bugs me.

And actually I do find that my sig line quotes usually come from those with over 1000 posts.But that's purely coincidental.If a n00b came up with something good I'd use it as well.My sig line is by cachers for cachers.Check my profile page,as I keep the old ones there as well.

My posts are the only ones that matter... and everyone else needs to stop posting until I am the number one poster.

Edited to add: I was just notified that as a Rusty Aluminum member... my posts count will now start going backwards...

Gosh darn... dang... nabbit.... <wanders off muttering to self>

Edited by BRTango

My posts are the only ones that matter... and everyone else needs to stop posting until I am the number one poster.

Edited to add: I was just notified that as a Rusty Aluminum member... my posts count will now start going backwards...

Gosh darn... dang... nabbit.... <wanders off muttering to self>

Ah yes but BR...you're a CHARTER RA member.....only the n00bies' posts go backward. :o<_<

Yeah, but I'm Number 1.

Yeah, but I'm Number 1.

There's an argument for listening to the top posters if I ever saw one.

I looked up my listing and at 50 per page I was on page 234 about half way down. I admit that I do a lot of lurking in the different forums and topics and that is why I only have 11 posts and most of those are in the OT area. One reason that I don't post much is that most of my questions have already been asked and answered if I dig thru the different threads long enough.

The answers that I get is usually from people that have a high amount of posts but there has been a few that I got from just one or two. I also saw that the high posters have also been doing this has starting dates from 2001 to 2004-05 so of course they will have have more than others. I look at how long that they have been doing this insanity and the amount of caches they have found not the posts.

I've been caching since Nov 05 but never really did the forums until after I upgraded my membership and my father in law has been a premimum member for as long as he has been caching and he probibly has never posted anything and is quite content.

Of course once I hit enter my count will go up and I may be on a page in the early 200's. :laughing:

<edited due to crappy spelling>

Edited by atmguy775