Top 50 posters

El Diablo

I looked through the list of top posters, and was surprised that many of them are people whose opinions I respect. Only about a third seem to be people who post just to hear themselves talk.

Which reminds me of a good online rule: the longer the signature block, the less likely that the post will contain useful information.

Edited by fizzymagic

I looked through the list of top posters, and was surprised that many of them are people whose opinions I respect. Only about a third seem to be people who post just to hear themselves talk.

Which reminds me of a good online rule: the longer the signature block, the less likely that the post will contain useful information.

Wow, I'm honored! You like, picked me out from all the other thousands of posters out there. :anitongue:

You don't like someone's posting? Fine. Don't make it personal.

Nothing personal; I dislike obnoxious, insulting, content-free responses to genuine requests for information, no matter who posts them.

The interesting observation is that such posts tend to come from extremely active posters; yet the majority of highly active posters don't engage in that kind of behavior.

Now, I am by no means the "nicest" poster out there; I am often acerbic, to say the least. But I do try to at least have something to say when I post. People who post only to tell others that what they are discussing isn't interesting, or who post only to make some "clever" quip like the one I referenced are not adding anything of value to the discussions here. I suppose it is a statistical inevitablility that such posters will be among the most prolific.

Edited by fizzymagic

Nothing personal; I dislike obnoxious, insulting, content-free responses to genuine requests for information, no matter who posts them.

The interesting observation is that such posts tend to come from extremely active posters; yet the majority of highly active posters don't engage in that kind of behavior.

Now, I am by no means the "nicest" poster out there; I am often acerbic, to say the least. But I do try to at least have something to say when I post. People who post only to tell others that what they are discussing isn't interesting, or who post only to make some "clever" quip like the one I referenced are not adding anything of value to the discussions here. I suppose it is a statistical inevitablility that such posters will be among the most prolific.

I've been called caustic, (I don't deny it) usually by people who are just as bad.

edited for quote.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I'm confused...again. :anitongue: The link you posted leads me to a topic about changing user name?

El Diablo

Ok! So far, I'm not sure if I've really contributed much to this thread.

I do still think that OT is something to think about. My regular post count is 3,630, but my uncounted posts in OT are 12,535. That adds up to 16,165 overall posts. Which posts hold more weight? The ones in the main forum, because they're about "geoching"? Or all of them, because we're all geocachers and any posts we make in all of the forums contribute to the overall community?

Obviously, the more you are around, for the longer period of time, and the more you post, the more you understand all the issues. But everyone's personalities are fairly set, and they're gonna have their opinions and some aren't going to always be helpful, no matter how much they post. And of course that means that some are going to be very helpful and insightful even if they are new, even when they don't know everything that's going on.

We need to try and be patient and understanding with everyone, and no pre-judge. That includes posters with lots of numbers under there names, as well as ones with very little. :anitongue:

Ok! So far, I'm not sure if I've really contributed much to this thread.

I do still think that OT is something to think about. My regular post count is 3,630, but my uncounted posts in OT are 12,535. That adds up to 16,165 overall posts. Which posts hold more weight? The ones in the main forum, because they're about "geoching"? Or all of them, because we're all geocachers and any posts we make in all of the forums contribute to the overall community?

Obviously, the more you are around, for the longer period of time, and the more you post, the more you understand all the issues. But everyone's personalities are fairly set, and they're gonna have their opinions and some aren't going to always be helpful, no matter how much they post. And of course that means that some are going to be very helpful and insightful even if they are new, even when they don't know everything that's going on.

We need to try and be patient and understanding with everyone, and no pre-judge. That includes posters with lots of numbers under there names, as well as ones with very little. :laughing:

Good post. I agree with alot of that.

Which posts hold more weight?

I'm currently at 4,413 posts that count and 2,963 posts in OT. The grand total is 7,375 posts.

Of my posts that count, I'd venture to guess that less than 50% have actually been ON topic or helpful in any way.

In that sense I have less than 2,200 posts that should count. Thank goodness that takes me outta the top 50. :laughing:

How many personal conversations has anyone been in that were entirely helpful or chock full of content?

I come here to have fun & be entertained. If everybody behaved like boyscouts, including me, I'd have neither. :laughing::anitongue:

My post count is a measure of my enjoyment/participation and nothing more. (As are my geocaching stats.) Any weight that they have is assigned them by the individual reading them.

Edited by Snoogans

TOP TEN OBNOXIOUS, INSULTING OR CONTENT-FREE POSTS -

10. "Your mother."

9. Roast llama recipes

8. "I hate micros. Why can't you use the stovetop just like Mama did?"

7. "Wanna see the elephant?"

6. "Whatever happened to Ringbone, anyways?"

5. Random sightings of Jeremy Irish in local Burger Kings.

4. "I hear Washington State women are hot, hot, hot!"

3. "I hate it when guy's hit the REPORT button on me all the time."

2. "Does this look infected to you?"

1. "When are they going to lock the Abject Silliness thread?"

Edited by Torry

The Desiderata says to "Listen to everyone......." I've done that since I readit for the first time because it made sense. I've learned to listen to even a "First day person" (to be politicaly correct), because they might make perfect sense in a new spin on a subject. The experienced persons however, rate a specific listen because they have learned quite a bit it simply through trial and error.

Anyway, thats jusy my $.02

Might be a step up around here on some days. :laughing:

I'd hafta say that most of the folks who post regularly have better than an 8th grade vocabulary and comprehension. That's rare on an open public forum IMO.
Interesting! I think most of the poor posts are caused by people getting angry and saying things that they don't really mean in the heat of the moment. Some posters are very good at disarming people. Others throw gas on the small flame.....