Top 50 posters

El Diablo

I was just looking at the top 50 posters (I'm one.) and I was wondering, do you give their posts more weight than others? When you are looking for answers, do you look at the number of posts, date joined, caches found, or what?

Or do you take it on face value?

Me personally, and it shouldn't have anything to do with it....I look at the date joined. I also respect posts by certain people, like Keystone, Briansnat, Renegade Knight, Totem Lake, Fizzy Majic, Blue Duce, Coyote Red, and a few others. If I see these people have posted I normally don't read the thread because I know they usually echo my thoughts.

El Diablo

It doesn't matter to me how many posts someone has.

There are a number of posters in the various threads that I will pay closer attention to, and wil most likely give more wieght to what they say.

These folks are not necessarily the "big names" in the game. They are friends that I greatly respect, and will listen to.

I have my own credibility meter which I use to judge the merits of other posters. Typically it starts with a remembrance of past posts. Has the individual posted things in the past which I also believe? Have they made posts in the past which have caused me to rethink my position on certain topics? Have they made posts in the past which I strongly disagree with? If any of these apply, I have a tendency to prejudge the post I am currently reading based upon that past history.

For instance, if Briansnat, (with whom I almost always concur), were to post something that, for me, seemed way out in left field, I would take the time to read the post again and do some internal evaluating to see if I needed to change my point of view, rather than dismissing his post out of hand.

When I read a post from someone I don't recognize, I'll weigh that post by it's own inherent merits, or lack thereof.

The only time I'll think about numbers, (find count/joined date/etc) is if I see something really bizarre.

As a newbie to this I see it as an indication of either:

A: Experience.

OR

B: Not having any sort of a life.

Both give you some credibility.

now..now! i take exception to this. some of the people with high post counts are able to surf the forums from work. that gives them extra forum time. some posters are at home mothers or fathers. some, like me, have physical problems that keep us home. it may not be a "life" to you, but it's all i have. i've made some life long friends through these forums, and i've met quite a few of them. i wouldn't trade that for all the good health in the world.

Of course they have huge influence!

The 'big names' set the tone and control, albeit perhaps unintentionally and even unknowingly, the audience.

In any group you look to the folks who have been around a long time and who are active. Those are the folks we assume to be credible. The old hands who have been around a while and are active posters set the tone in any forum.

Most of us don't know who's who in the game when we first come to the forums, don't have anything but time online and number of posts to evaluate a poster by.

We have to award credibility based on the content of their posts and how their posts are accepted by their peers.

Over time, if we're patient and active, we learn who is friendly and helpful and who is not.

Over time we learn something of how the active posters think, and form alliances if not actual friendships with those we agree and get along with.

If we are accepted and/or tolerated by the 'big wigs' of the forum we may enjoy our stay, if not it won't be much fun.

In my "Take back the forums" thread (quickly shut down) I tried to make the point that this forum is a fairly closed society, the playground of a few, and asked the big voices here to consider my assertion that they were, on whole, less than receptive and open to anyone who doesn't think like they do.

Nothing has changed, and I still don't personally know anyone who comes here regularly. Almost literally everyone I cache with says they stay away from here for this reason, and the gc forums are regularly used in conversation and in local forums as an example of boorish behavior to be avoided.

Look at how many geocachers there are and how many come here on any regular basis. Keep in mind that I am talking about this particular forum branch, Groundspeak Forums > General Geocaching Discussions > Geocaching Topics, as I rarely visit any of the other branch forums here and therefor know little about them.

All that said, however, I have to acknowledge that this situation is simply human nature, and is true in any forum, or even any group of people.

I expect that a group akin to our 'top 50 posters' control most churches, fraternities, certainly most businesses, and even infomal social groups, so it should not come as a surprise that it is true here.

Those who rise to 'top 50' or 'big wig' noteriety anywhere are given credibility, that's just how folks do.

Ed

I was just looking at the top 50 posters (I'm one.) and I was wondering, do you give their posts more weight than others? When you are looking for answers, do you look at the number of posts, date joined, caches found, or what?

Wow I'm glad I'm not on that list. I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member. :unsure:

I also respect posts by certain people, like Keystone, Briansnat, Renegade Knight, Totem Lake, Fizzy Majic, Blue Duce, Coyote Red, and a few others.

Let's see, I've met Keystone, he's kinda scrawny. Not much weight there :unsure:

I've never met Briansnat, but hope to some day. From his pics he looks like he's carrying a few extra pounds, but it could be all of that squid he eats. I have heard that eggplant is very low fat unless it is fried. :unsure:

Never met Renegade Knight or, Totem Lake, Fizzy Majic, or Blue Duce, and there aren't many pics of them posted except for fizzy. I suppose that brick stuck to his head adds a few pounds. :unsure:

I did meet Coyote Red, but it was several years ago, he could have changed. :laughing:

Oh and even though I'm not in the top 50 posters, and hope to never be, I'm carrying some extra weight too, about 50# of it. Danm (dadgum is soo corny) doughuts, beer, and sausage biscuits. :unsure:

Most posts I read and take on their individual merit's. Something well thought out or something that makes me think has more value than a post that does neither. If someone does that consistantly I enjoy their posts more in general.

As a general rule I don't take what's in one threand and apply it to another. If I disagreed with someone in one thread I may agree with another.

There are exeptions. Some posters seem to go out of their way to be-little people in various ways. After awhile I don't have much use for those posters and I will go out of my way to call them out for their efforts. The other exception are some posters that I recognize and have come to like via their posts over time. I do pay them a little more respect overall regardless of any one post that agrees or disagrees.

The one place I do pay attention to post count is complaints and controversial topics. A 1 post person is a lot more likely to be a troll.

Like Renegade Knight, I read most posts on their individual merit. However, I must admit that over time, I have definitely formed some preferences for posts by certain posters (those whose posts are always well-thoght out and well-written, and who either do not bash people or bash them only infrequently), and sometimes these posters are high-number posters, and sometimes they are not. And, there are a few high-number posters who tend to flame or to try to tilt at windmills, and I thusly tend to ignore their posts. So, overall, the number of posts which a poster has posted (please say that five times, fast!) means little to me, but it does count to some extent in the mix at times.

However, having just said that numbers mean little to me, I must agree with Ed, Alabama Rambler in observing that high-post-count apparently does mean a lot to some people. Forever, whenever I go to geo events, I am AMAZED at the number of geo-strangers -- that is, people whom I have never met or seen before, and whose posts I have certainly never seen in any forum -- who come up to me and tell me that they love my posts (and my sick and sometimes raunchy sense of humor) on the national forum and that they follow them regularly, even though they would never think of posting themselves.

Oh, and I agree with Renegade Knight that a one-or-two post poster is more likely to be a troll than a poster with 900 posts....

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

The number os posts means the same to me as the number of finds that a person has. IT usually has nothing to do with how much respect they deserve, or how knowledgeable they are - it's more a reflection of the amount of time that they have to do so.

Now, this doesn't mean that high posters DON'T know anything either. It's just not a 1:1 correlation.

The more you post in these forums the more you learn about what to post and what not to post. I have learned a lot and I'm still have a lot to learn. I have definitely learned that sometimes it is better to bite your tongue. I have a hard time with this, but my tongue is getting more bite marks nowadays. :laughing: I have also learned that it takes a special skill to be able to phase something in a way that it doesn't get twisted around the wrong way. But the best thing about posting is that I have gotten to know quite a few people that live far away from me. There are a lot of really cool people in this game! :unsure:

I have found a few that I mostly agree with and a few that I mostly disagree with. All are friendly and all bring a unique perspective to the forums. Overall what it does mean to me is that the high count folks have probably seen most topics come and go and therefore have better insight to the topic at hand. That makes me more likely to read thier posts.

Well ya gotta look at the top of page 6 to find #50, because at least 2 of the top 50 are the same person & yes, some of them do carry a little weight with me for various reasons, but I could count them on 2 hands with change left over.

The number of posts used to find the top 50 posters is kinda arbitrary. It would take a great deal more consideration to find the top 50 most influential posters. I doubt it could be done in an open forum and anything less would be one-sided.

As I tend to come and go here - I ussually just read the post and don't really care who posted it. I take the content for what it is.

That stated, there are some folks that seem to be more "like-minded" and I naturally tend to agree with them more and/or respect their posts a little more. Of course, I also respect the posts of people that don't agree with me. As long as their posts are sincere, non-insulting, and otherwise well thought-out.

As an example, there was one cacher that I ended-up getting into a bit of a back-and-forth with on a topic unrelated (or vaguely related at best) to geocaching. While I am sure I will never go out and have a beer together, I think that the exchange was, for the most part, respectful and decent. (at least until Jeremy had to come in and separate us :P )

I met BrianSnat at his Catskill Geocaching event a couple of years ago. At that time, I'd guess he was carrying maybe 225 lbs. His pack was probably an additional 50 lbs, but most of that was the beer and cigars he brought up the mountaintop.

By the way, since he shared his beer and cigars, I think whatever he says is just about right.

Alright, I'll be serious. Some posters in the mega-thousands have a lot to say that makes sense and what they say is worth reading, whether or not you personally agree with it. A lot of others like to see their names in print, no matter what they have to say. I tend to gloss over their threads and responses.

Interesting note:

When you click on the top 10 posters link it will give you a breakdown of all posters.

186,280 members of which only 40,760 have ever posted

and 11,890 or so have only posted 1 time.

17,830 or so have posted less than 10 times

leaving 11,040 or so with 10 or more post.

2500 or so posters have more than 100 post

Edited by Roland_oso

now..now! i take exception to this. some of the people with high post counts are able to surf the forums from work. that gives them extra forum time. some posters are at home mothers or fathers. some, like me, have physical problems that keep us home. it may not be a "life" to you, but it's all i have. i've made some life long friends through these forums, and i've met quite a few of them. i wouldn't trade that for all the good health in the world.

I said "or" :D:P

I appreciate many of the "heavy" posters viewpoints and replies.

The threads that turn me off are where two or three posters get into a cyber war about the meaning of a word....making Loooooooooooonnnnnnnnngggg posts with definitions and definitions of words IN the definition and further definitions in those definitions.......until the whole issue is far off topic from the op. But the warring factions don't mind at all, they just keep "one upping" the previous poster with what they think is their winning argument.

I used to waste my time trying to follow such postings, but for me it was a huge waste of time. Now I look for the humor, tips, and bits of advice I get from cacher's posts.

Chuckwagon

Edited by chuckwagon101

In a word, no. When I join a new Forum I lurk for awhile and read, read, read. After awhile I figure out who is knowledgable, who is helpful, who is well intentioned but naive and who to basically ignore. By the time I make my first post I have a fair idea who to take seriously and it has nothing to do with longevity or post count, and everything to do with quality of replies and knowledge displayed.

AS time goes by the list is further refined with new names added as I learn their personalities, and sometimes a regular will throw a curve ball to keep me guessing. :P

Generally I only check profiles out of curiousity to see where caches do most of their hiding/finding, not to check out their experience. Even a cacher with only one find may have that one little fact you've been searching for, we all look smart occasionally. :D:D

Oh, and yes El D you are on my list of good posters, along with many others. :D

as a relatively new cacher i have spent some spare time browsing the forums just trying to see how and where i fit in with my peers......when i find an interesting topic i am always glad to see some posts by the prolific ones....... even though they are of varied backgrounds and styles they always seem to bring something valuable to the conversation....be it knowledge...insight...humor...sarcasm and pithy comments on the state of geocaching as it pertains to their experience and outlook on the topic....so i guess you can say they carry weight with me but i dont take any of it too serious as it is just a game or sport that only diverts us from the rest of our lives for a llittle bit

It is quality over quantity. A person can post little yet add quality thoughts to the process. Others can post often and yet rarely say anything of real substance. Often everyone does some of each and only a few stand out as consistently making quality posts or consistently making useless posts.

It doesn't matter to me how many posts someone has.

There are a number of posters in the various threads that I will pay closer attention to, and wil most likely give more wieght to what they say.

These folks are not necessarily the "big names" in the game. They are friends that I greatly respect, and will listen to.

Including the OP, I have at least met or personally know 8 of the previous posters to this thread. I have PM'd or exchanged email with just over 50% of the posters here so far too. Of the top fifety posters, I remember meeting 10 (I mayyy have met more.) and have PM'd or exchanged email with well over 50%.

I consider them all friends. (Especially the ones that don't always agree with me.)

If I see one of the ones that rarely posts here as last poster on a thread that I normally wouldn't take the time to look at, I will want to see what prompted them to post. Very few of the people I personally know/socialize with and respect through geocaching actually post here with any regularity.

And then, we can't count posts in OT, so does that throw everything out the window? :huh:

Yes & no.

No, when the subject of geocaching is being discussed your posts count. They add to the real purpose of these forums which is to discuss geocaching.

Yes, when the arbitrary number of posts is being considered, but that's all. (I.E. Does anyone have ANY idea how many times I've posted "And there was much rejoicing" on the OT forum?) It adds nothing at all to the subject these forums exist to discuss and rightfully shouldn't count.

:( Crudability? Has geocaching become so complicated that we have experts now? Thought the forums were just idle chatter for the most part.

That's subjective.... Ask yourself this question:

Do the forums add to the quality of my life?

I'd hafta say that sometimes they do. I've never let them detract from it though. That makes the chatter a cut above idle for me unless I'm posting in OT. :(

As a general rule I don't take what's in one thred and and apply it to another. If I disagreed with someone in one thread I may agree with another.

I tend to run that way too unles they are one of the very few who have never really added to a conversation I was interested in. (Only one name on my ignore list.)

I take any thing with a grain of salt posted by anyone who has more posts than cache finds. :D

I assume you're joking. Given the subjectivity of geocaching, that's even more arbitrary than assuming someone with thousands of finds is a better geocacher than someone with a few hundred or even less than a hundred.

It is quality over quantity. A person can post little yet add quality thoughts to the process. Others can post often and yet rarely say anything of real substance. Often everyone does some of each and only a few stand out as consistently making quality posts or consistently making useless posts.

Yep, what she said. :(:(

<useless post deleted>

Edited by Stunod

From somebody with relatively few posts and even fewer finds...

I will be generally less likely to oppose something somebody with a large amount of posts/finds says as they have more experience. I tend to listen to those with "more time in" than I do and try to learn from them. It doesn't mean that I worship those with more seniority, but give some credit to what they say.

Of course, my Dr prescribed me a narcotic, muscle relaxer, and anti-inflamitory for my back yesterday and I may just be "drunk posting". In which case please disregard anything I have said and blame it on the drugs.

I love you man.... :huh:

-Jim

... Of course, my Dr prescribed me a narcotic, muscle relaxer, and anti-inflamitory for my back yesterday and I may just be "drunk posting". In which case please disregard anything I have said and blame it on the drugs.

I love you man.... :huh:

-Jim

Hope you feel better. Don't take the muscle relaxer on an empty stomach.

It's not the 'Top 50' for me that gain the recognition & attention, but the relative 'character' of the poster that comes through in the posts.

For instance, some posters are always positive, reasonable, non-combative and encouraging to read . . . they encourage everyone and my attention and participation. To the contrary, there are others that drive me away with their righteous, self-important, argumentative and beligerant postings.

In fact, when some posters come on line . . . I will join or depart a discussion based upon their participation and upon my experience with them. They add or detract joy in the game by their attitude & I choose acordingly.

I have seen and experience that the quality of the individual may draw & uplift people to them or drive them away . . . that is true in person or in the forums.

<useless post deleted>

Now that's funny! I don't care who you are. :huh: