Holy cow!

nutlady

I sold a coin to a person in either Australia or Queensland......I cant recall .....but I charged $1.50. MY mistake.

Still, I thought I would "eat" the additional costs. Well, of the 3 choices offered to ship, it will cost either $9.50. $16, or $20. For 2 ounces.

All I can say is what the heck? Theres GOTTA be somthing wrong here!

While Im on this "roll" HAHA.....some roll. Does anyone else find that it takes over 10 minutes to print a pre-paid label? I spent 30 minutes trying to get the rates for that international order......only to be dropped from paypal because to much time had gone by.....AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH This is SO infuriating! I thought this was supposed to SAVE time!

I sold a coin to a person in either Australia or Queensland......I cant recall .....but I charged $1.50. MY mistake.

Still, I thought I would "eat" the additional costs. Well, of the 3 choices offered to ship, it will cost either $9.50. $16, or $20. For 2 ounces.

For general info: Queensland is one of the states which make up Australia.

I have been "offered" postage charges of this order by some US suppliers. :)

Fortunately the great majority are more reasonable. :P

What Hula Bum and BackBrakeBilly said, but with more detail--

Air Letter Post Rates to Europe (Australia may differ a bit):

1 ounce - $0.84

2 ounces - $1.70

3 ounces - $2.55

4 ounces - $3.35

5 ounces - $4.20

6 ounces - $5.05

Anything over six ounces can go in a SMALL Global Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope for $5.25. What doesn't fit in one of those envelopes can go in a LARGE Global Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope for $9.50.

I let the post office affix the postage since international mail has to be presented with a customs form anyway.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

1 ounce - $0.84

2 ounces - $1.70

3 ounces - $2.55

4 ounces - $3.35

5 ounces - $4.20

6 ounces - $5.05

Anything over six ounces can go in a SMALL Global Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope for $5.25. What doesn't fit in one of those envelopes can go in a LARGE Global Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope for $9.50.

I let the post office affix the postage since international mail has to be presented with a customs form anyway.

One correction here. YOU DO NOT NEED A CUSTOMS FORM IF THE WEIGHT IS LESS THAN 1 LBS. It is right on the Global Priorty envelopes. IF the postal clerk tells you that you need it show them the priority envelope.

I send proably 10 internationals a week. and we finally came to an agreement at my post office.

1 ounce - $0.84

2 ounces - $1.70

3 ounces - $2.55

4 ounces - $3.35

5 ounces - $4.20

6 ounces - $5.05

One correction here. YOU DO NOT NEED A CUSTOMS FORM IF THE WEIGHT IS LESS THAN 1 LBS. It is right on the Global Priorty envelopes. IF the postal clerk tells you that you need it show them the priority envelope.

I send proably 10 internationals a week. and we finally came to an agreement at my post office.

I know these people need to get there info straight!!!! i've been told both that you dont if its under 1 lb, and the last time i was told that ANYTHING thats not printed material needs a customs form. arrrggg.

I live in Queensland which is part of Australia and I received two packages of coins from the US in today's mail

One had two coins in it and was one of those cardboard UPS - Global Priority Mail Envelopes - the postage on that was USD$5.25.

The other package was a soft plastic bubblewrap mailer that contained three coins and it cost USD$3.70.

These are typical of the packages that I get from California or the United States

All packages that I get from overseas have a green customs declaration.

1 ounce - $0.84

2 ounces - $1.70

3 ounces - $2.55

4 ounces - $3.35

5 ounces - $4.20

6 ounces - $5.05

Always use Air letter post until Global Priority is cheaper since it is a flat rate and not based on wieght.

Rates for Australia are only a little higher at $.95 per oz for pacages 2oz or greater.

1 ounce - $0.84

2 ounces - $1.80

3 ounces - $2.75

4 ounces - $3.70

5 ounces - $4.65

6 ounces - $5.60

Team Sand Dollar

I do the customs forms on all shipments out of the country, one less problem to worry about and the coins seem to arrive faster. I also just buy the postage at the Post Office, since I hand deliver the forms. If you use the Priority Mailer, use a poly mailer inside and either tape it in or lately I have been stapling the mailer, through the Priority Mailer and the poly mailer. I use one or two small staples before I put the shipping label on. I also double tape the edges. I lost a lot of the 3" Initial Point Coins in shipping before doing this. Glen

1 ounce - $0.84

2 ounces - $1.70

3 ounces - $2.55

4 ounces - $3.35

5 ounces - $4.20

6 ounces - $5.05

I know these people need to get there info straight!!!! i've been told both that you dont if its under 1 lb, and the last time i was told that ANYTHING thats not printed material needs a customs form. arrrggg.

The actual requirement is that you do not need a customs form if there is NO Dutiable items in the package.

from USPS customs form usage page

Global Priority Mail (GPM) items, airmail letter-post items, and economy letter-post items that:

Weigh less than 16 ounces and do not have potentially dutiable contents.

I do not know if geocoins, game tokens, etc. are dutiable or not.

I Do NOT use Paypal for doing small international shipments. if you want it to be really easy... use the small GPM mailers (free from the post office or online) and then it costs $5.25 overseas (canada and mexico are less)

No calculations to figure, no weighing involved. I've easily sent 6 coins in recycled padded mailers inside the envelope. If I'm only sending one or two coins, I will pack it normally and take it to the post office.

note: you can also get the customs forms in advance, only the little green form is required in these cases.

Nero, your last information is correct. Anything that is not printed materials needs a customs form. You can probably get away without it (as I doubt they check that closely if it's really printed material) but you are running the risk of losing it or having it delayed in customs by not spending the time to fill one out.

Also, another FYI I can share based on my experience with international shipping is that if you are sending by FedEx or another carrier which requires a customs import tariff code, I was informed this by FedEx:

"It has been determined that if the coins are of a non-precious base metal (something other than gold, silver, or platinum) the correct tariff number would be 8306.29.0000 which is duty free. "

That's *into* the US and is the US Customs tariff code - doubt it applies to outgoing mail.

Unless you are paying $$$$$$ for your coins - they are not precious metal base metal.

Also, if you receive a substantial order of coins (let's say they are drop-shipped to you from the mint overseas) and are charged tariff - you can usually dispute it. Customs only accepts disputes for up to 180 days after processing so don't sit on it too long. And make sure you pay your carrier the invoiced amount in the meantime as they *will* still take collections actions even if it's under dispute. Once the dispute is settled, you will get a refund check. If the package to you is encoded wrong, you will be slapped with an 11% tariff on the reported value of the coins. It can get pretty steep. It's usually worth disputing.

Nero, your last information is correct. Anything that is not printed materials needs a customs form. You can probably get away without it (as I doubt they check that closely if it's really printed material) but you are running the risk of losing it or having it delayed in customs by not spending the time to fill one out.

Also, another FYI I can share based on my experience with international shipping is that if you are sending by FedEx or another carrier which requires a customs import tariff code, I was informed this by FedEx:

"It has been determined that if the coins are of a non-precious base metal (something other than gold, silver, or platinum) the correct tariff number would be 8306.29.0000 which is duty free. "

That's *into* the US and is the US Customs tariff code - doubt it applies to outgoing mail.

Unless you are paying $$$$$$ for your coins - they are not precious metal base metal.

Also, if you receive a substantial order of coins (let's say they are drop-shipped to you from the mint overseas) and are charged tariff - you can usually dispute it. Customs only accepts disputes for up to 180 days after processing so don't sit on it too long. And make sure you pay your carrier the invoiced amount in the meantime as they *will* still take collections actions even if it's under dispute. Once the dispute is settled, you will get a refund check. If the package to you is encoded wrong, you will be slapped with an 11% tariff on the reported value of the coins. It can get pretty steep. It's usually worth disputing.

Wow.... I'm glad I read this thread. I DID get slapped with the custom tax on the reported value of the coins coming from the coin mint. Oh and I was MAD!

Do you have the website or information as to where to dispute the claim? dadgum... I think my 18days is approaching fast :laughing:

If it came FedEx, you should call them. They will fax you a dispute form. It's a royal pain, but you can possibly recoup the fees.

I have a bunch in dispute at the moment. 5 or so were rejected as they were past the 180 days (I just learned I could dispute them) and the rest have been forwarded by FedEx to US Customs. I should note, I have no idea what the resolution will be, but for me - even a fraction of the fees coming back is well worth the time.

Ask your vendor (domestic or otherwise) to use that code if you plan on asking to have your coins drop-shipped to you. It'll save you big bucks.

So - hopefully this info will save some folks some time, hassle and monay. I only know the process with FedEx so if your carrier is different - call their customer support.

I also suggest that if you receive shipments on any regular basis by a carrier like FedEx or UPS that you call them and get an account. Then have your account number included on the shipping invoice. It makes tracking this kind of thing a lot easier *and* if you are using FedEx they will actually call you to alert you that a shipment has been processed and how it was charged. You get 24 hours to call them to discuss the coding, etc. before it becomes "final" and your only recourse is to go the dispute route.

I continue to put customs forms on my international orders, despite what the rules as confusing as they are say. It seems that they get there quicker and what I was told by my postmaster is that the country that is receiving it will pass it through quicker with that green sticker on there than if it's not. Either way it seems they make it. It only takes a moment to fill it out and if it gets them there quicker I'm happy to do it.

I continue to put customs forms on my international orders, despite what the rules as confusing as they are say. It seems that they get there quicker and what I was told by my postmaster is that the country that is receiving it will pass it through quicker with that green sticker on there than if it's not. Either way it seems they make it. It only takes a moment to fill it out and if it gets them there quicker I'm happy to do it.

Hey... we're on to something here... if it speeds up the mail maybe I can get folks in the 48 states to slap one of those green things on the packages they're sending me! With the notable exception of the major geocoin club vendors (such as those ones who'll be at the 2007 Geocoin Fest in Temecula! Good job, fellahs!) many outfits in the 'lower 48' act as if Alaska's a foreign country! A recent large boxed item that was to be $160 in US Postal Charges if purchased direct from the manufacturer ("because it costs more to ship overseas" their shipping department informed me - I told them Canada was a country, not an ocean...) cost me just $1 extra from Amazon.com, because they've figured out how to use a 'premium' service (in this case if was FedEx) to ship efficiently. I know your pain, fellow citizens of the world outside the lower contiguous forty-eight states of America...

Hey... we're on to something here... if it speeds up the mail maybe I can get folks in the 48 states to slap one of those green things on the packages they're sending me! With the notable exception of the major geocoin club vendors (such as those ones who'll be at the 2007 Geocoin Fest in Temecula! Good job, fellahs!) many outfits in the 'lower 48' act as if Alaska's a foreign country! A recent large boxed item that was to be $160 in US Postal Charges if purchased direct from the manufacturer ("because it costs more to ship overseas" their shipping department informed me - I told them Canada was a country, not an ocean...) cost me just $1 extra from Amazon.com, because they've figured out how to use a 'premium' service (in this case if was FedEx) to ship efficiently. I know your pain, fellow citizens of the world outside the lower contiguous forty-eight states of America...

you need a custom form to ship to AK and HI???

According to the USPS web site, it should be $5.25, which is a bit high, but about what I'd expect.

you need a custom form to ship to AK and HI???

Nah...Northwes is just grousing about the excess shipping charges we get hit with. UPS and FedEx will ship only 2-day air "red label," so a minimum shipping charge is around $15. When shopping online, if a vendor doesn't offer USPS First Class or Priority Mail, I shop somewhere else.

USPS is still the best deal for shipping to/from the rest of the country. There was a time when they were so affordable, people shipping building materials (lumber, bricks, etc.) to bush communities.

Yes, Alaska and Hawaii are part of the good old USA...just that some shipping companies like to charge us a premium for living where we do. Thie is especially ironic because FedEx has a major hub in Anchorage.

According to the USPS web site, it should be $5.25, which is a bit high, but about what I'd expect.

PayPal only has an option for the LARGE Flat rate GPM mailer, not the small GPM mailer which is better used for small quantities of coins. (I've shipped 6 frequently in them without any concern for it being too many)

PayPal only has an option for the LARGE Flat rate GPM mailer, not the small GPM mailer which is better used for small quantities of coins. (I've shipped 6 frequently in them without any concern for it being too many)

has anyone created shipping labels for international orders via PayPal? I have done plenty of domestic shipping via paypal but not sure how reliable they are with internaitonal shipping...

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Paypal doesn't actually do any shipping (or even the tracking), it just does a label with paid postage just as you can get using stamps.com, pitneybowse, or directly through USPS.com (or UPS if you choose that option)

Yes, that was I was referring to. I guest I should have phrased my questions a little better... ok here we go.

Has anyone used PayPal's print shipping label feature for internaitonal shipping? I have printed domestic shippping labels before but not internaitonal. Wondering if anyone has any luck with that

Paypal doesn't actually do any shipping (or even the tracking), it just does a label with paid postage just as you can get using stamps.com, pitneybowse, or directly through USPS.com (or UPS if you choose that option)

Yes, that was I was referring to. I guest I should have phrased my questions a little better... ok here we go.

Has anyone used PayPal's print shipping label feature for internaitonal shipping? I have printed domestic shippping labels before but not internaitonal. Wondering if anyone has any luck with that

Yes, when I have wanted tracked shipping, I have used the shipping label generator on Paypal. Better still, I've not only generated the label but used Photoshop to reduce it to fit nicely on smaller containers. In all cases, it has been accepted and delivered without incident.

The Canada Post version (which is what I use, being in Canada and all) even gives a 5% discount on the price. However, and this is a big however, it only does the full-bore, trackable shipping which is expensive and usually overkill for shipments of small numbers of geocoins.

Just to follow up, I did get 6 refund checks today from FedEx. None were for my BIG payments (if I were a suspicious man, I'd wonder about that...) but it looks like the dispute actually does work for anyone interested in going that route.

Interesting. Did you get a full refund for the entire amount? Or just a percentage.

I faxed over my dispute last week. I'll see what happen in 4-6 weeks. The customer service reps on the phone were quite helpful though.

Yes, when I have wanted tracked shipping, I have used the shipping label generator on Paypal. Better still, I've not only generated the label but used Photoshop to reduce it to fit nicely on smaller containers. In all cases, it has been accepted and delivered without incident.

You photoshop the labels??!?!

dadgum that's a lot of work... not hard... but time consuming and tedious...

well, I guess it's easier than writing the addresses by hand...

This is why I posted! I tried using Paypals shipping label/pre-paid postage on the coin to Queensland and THATS where I got the outlandish prices. I sent the coin through the local post office at a MUCH more decent rate. I still lost abit of money, but only $2-3 verses $20!

Just to follow up, I did get 6 refund checks today from FedEx. None were for my BIG payments (if I were a suspicious man, I'd wonder about that...) but it looks like the dispute actually does work for anyone interested in going that route.

Interesting. Did you get a full refund for the entire amount? Or just a percentage.

I faxed over my dispute last week. I'll see what happen in 4-6 weeks. The customer service reps on the phone were quite helpful though.

Full refund on the customs tariffs. They charged something like $25 for "MPF" which I think stands for "Manual Processing Fee" and is non-refundable. If customs touches your package - you get hit for it. Must be nice to get $25 for about 45 seconds of touching :mad: lol. Honestly I don't know what they do during "MPF" but $25 seems pretty steep.

Small correction here Mike, if the original shipper will not supply you with the actual costs of the goods, and a letter stating exactly what was shipped FedEx will call and completely deny your claim and then immediatley start collection activities. I think your key word above is "usually". If not you have no other rights and if the mint or minter will not help you, your out of luck and money.

reducing in photoshop is just a few clicks and a bit of typing. Best of all, you can make it an automatic script so the process is reduced to a couple clicks.The default Canadian label size from Paypal is 5.5" x 8.5" which is way too big for a lot of boxes. I assume it's similar for the US label.

It is easier than writing the address by hand as the label contains the customs information as well, so it's not just a label, it's an official form.

reducing in photoshop is just a few clicks and a bit of typing. Best of all, you can make it an automatic script so the process is reduced to a couple clicks.The default Canadian label size from Paypal is 5.5" x 8.5" which is way too big for a lot of boxes. I assume it's similar for the US label.

It is easier than writing the address by hand as the label contains the customs information as well, so it's not just a label, it's an official form.

You are right. Once you have recorded the action, it should be smooth sail.

I actually bought a label printer. The idea came from Crake. After purchasing a bunch of coins from him and seeing the type of labels he uses (comparing to the 5.5X8.5 labels), I realize how much of a time saver that is!

hmm... speaking of crake... I need some coins before the holiday!

Just a note to report on my experience with disputing customs charges on Geocoins coming to the US.

I continue to receive refund checks on my disputed shipments. On occasion they will ask you for evidence of the nature of the item in the form of photos and (possibly) samples. So far, photos have been enough for me.

In fact, thus far the only disputes to be kicked back were ones that were beyond the 180 day dispute time limit.

The information you need to submit a claim is straightforward and should be on your FedEx bill and/or the packing information. If you do not get it, a simple call to FedEx and they will send it to you.

Fedex Invoice #

Inv Date

Amount of invoice

Amount disputed

Entry #

Entry Date

Tracking #

Then in the details indicate the incorrect HTC used and the one that should have been used.

Pay the bill in the meantime, you will get a refund check. Paying the bill is required, if you don't you will start hearing from collection agencies.

Hope this info can save some folks some $$ down the road. For some it may be too late to take advantage of this, but outside of the time and small hassle of preparing the dispute forms - I've found FedEx VERY easy to work with and extremely helpful.

Just a note to report on my experience with disputing customs charges on Geocoins coming to the US.

I continue to receive refund checks on my disputed shipments. On occasion they will ask you for evidence of the nature of the item in the form of photos and (possibly) samples. So far, photos have been enough for me.

In fact, thus far the only disputes to be kicked back were ones that were beyond the 180 day dispute time limit.

The information you need to submit a claim is straightforward and should be on your FedEx bill and/or the packing information. If you do not get it, a simple call to FedEx and they will send it to you.

Fedex Invoice #

Inv Date

Amount of invoice

Amount disputed

Entry #

Entry Date

Tracking #

Then in the details indicate the incorrect HTC used and the one that should have been used.

Pay the bill in the meantime, you will get a refund check. Paying the bill is required, if you don't you will start hearing from collection agencies.

Hope this info can save some folks some $$ down the road. For some it may be too late to take advantage of this, but outside of the time and small hassle of preparing the dispute forms - I've found FedEx VERY easy to work with and extremely helpful.

Unfortunately I hit a roadblock on this one.... I got a package from Fedex last night with a letter notifcying me that they need additional information from me (which I thought I have provided everything) + a $75 processing fee. $75!! My dadgum refund was $78! the FeDEx was very nice but that doesn't solve my problem.... she did suggest that I should file the claim directly to US Customs for reclaisfication andf to get the refund.

UGH!!!