Newbie question

chiqui74

Hello.

This is my first post so bear with me :) I have just been given a used eTrex Vista. I have looked everywhere to see where I'm supposed to enter the coordinates I'm supposed to navigate to but I just can't find such a place. I assumed that to find a cache you had to enter the coordinates on your GPS receiver. Am I missing something? Any help will be greatly appreciated :P

June

Did it come with a computer cable? If not you can get one fairly cheap and it's worth it for downloading caches.

By hand there two methods, hold the click stick down for a couple seconds to 'mark' your location, then you can click down-lower to the location section (click on down on it) and then edit the coords.

Or go to the main menu section, select 'mark' and again edit the coords.

Yes, it did come with a computer cable, a serial cable but my PC doesn't have a serial port. Silly question maybe, if I just enter the waypoint, will it still take me to the right place? I'm anxious to get out there and play but I don't wanna be lost in the middle of nowhere or digging for cache in the wrong place.

June

Yes, it did come with a computer cable, a serial cable but my PC doesn't have a serial port. Silly question maybe, if I just enter the waypoint, will it still take me to the right place? I'm anxious to get out there and play but I don't wanna be lost in the middle of nowhere or digging for cache in the wrong place.

June

Please clarify what you mean by "digging". We do NOT bury caches exactly to avoid any digging scenario.

Yes you can enter coords manually and go exactly where you want to go. It's just that with a cable you can bulk download coords without the possibility of typo's.

Do make sure you are using the HDDMM.mmm format and the WGS84 datum. Have fun!