Finding mew locations WHILE out in the field

Nittanys1

I have found my first few caches around my area. Once I find them all of the locations noted while I was at home I have to return home, get on my computer to get some more caches. Then I head back out to find those. While out if I have problems locating them I dont have a way to get any more info on the area other then what I wrote down before I left the house. SO what other tools do you use to find your next cache other then the GSP, while still out in the field?

I have found my first few caches around my area. Once I find them all of the locations noted while I was at home I have to return home, get on my computer to get some more caches. Then I head back out to find those. While out if I have problems locating them I dont have a way to get any more info on the area other then what I wrote down before I left the house. SO what other tools do you use to find your next cache other then the GSP, while still out in the field?

The best is way is to run, not walk and get a used palm on eBay, premium membership and cachemate and use the site to download the pocket queries and you'll be good to go. This is the first weekend I used it and it is awesome. Good luck.

What they said. With even a basic older PDA, you can easily have the entire description, coordinates, last 5 logs and ratings for 500 (or more depending on the memory of your PDA and number of Pocket Queries you run) of the nearest caches in your area. The new "cache along a route" feature makes it even easier to find caches that'll be along the way when you're traveling somewhere. The measly $30 yearly fee is well worth it for the time and effort it'll save you compared to taking paper notes.

Edited by IV_Warrior

thanks all for the info. I have two Palms laying around that I can never find any use for it.

OK so I have the palm, now i need to become a premium member to be able to download what?

ANY step by step info on how to get all this to my computer and then on the palm.

Then how to get the pocket queries downloaded correctly to the palm would be wonderful!

ok, I have now installed the programs and have added a few caches on the palm(s) I just paid the $8 for the full version on the palm program and I noticed that It asked me for my user name on my palm. I understand why this was asked BUT I have two palms and I would like to have my info stored on both of them. I dont feel as if I should have to pay another $8 as I WILL NOT be sharing this file and will only be using it for myself. SO i was wanting to ask for help on how to change my user name on the palm, or how to get it to work on both palms.

Now that you have the premium membership, on the right side of your "my account" page, there's a "manage pocket queries" link. Click that, or go directly to www.geocaching.com/pocket/

You'll need to set up a pocket query and wait for the results to be e-mailed to you. When you first set up the query, DON'T select a day of the week for it to run. Make all your choices, sumbit it, then use the "preview the search" link to preview the results. If you have the results you were expecting, THEN select the day for it to run. (Choose the current day if you want it right away) If you didn't get the results you expected, or any results, go back over your choices and try to find the conflict. Remember, the choices are "and" choices, so choosing both "that I have found" and "that I have not found" will return no results, as there isn't any cache that you both have and have not found.

another question, After I have added the wanted points on my palm is there a way to see the locations on a map while still looking on the palm?

Are you asking if you can copy the map page to your palm?

It depends on your palm, its memory, its display resolution etc. Can it store and display images? If so, you probably can.

I have a Palm Pilot Zire 72. It has a high resolution color screen. I do this all the time. The map image looks exactly like what I see on the PC.

There are different ways to do this. Here is one.

step one: display what you want to see on your PC screen. Then, press ALT and the PRINT SCRN key together. It won't look like anything happened, but you just copied your screen to the clipboard.

step two: open your paint program.

step three: go to edit, choose PASTE, and the image should appear.

step three: save the image. Use the SAVE AS command to name it. Save it to the desktop.

step four: open your palm program and go to the media page (or whereever you store your photos)

step five: drag the image from the desktop to the media page

Thats it. When you sync your palm, the map image will be there.

Hope this helps. There are other ways to do this depending on what programs you use.

ok, I have now installed the programs and have added a few caches on the palm(s) I just paid the $8 for the full version on the palm program and I noticed that It asked me for my user name on my palm. I understand why this was asked BUT I have two palms and I would like to have my info stored on both of them. I dont feel as if I should have to pay another $8 as I WILL NOT be sharing this file and will only be using it for myself. SO i was wanting to ask for help on how to change my user name on the palm, or how to get it to work on both palms.

Here are Instructions on reseting your username on your palm.

Just set the username on both of your palms to the same thing and it should work fine.

Of course, when you hotsync, you'll have to add the cachemate file, hotsync to the first one, then add the cachemate file again, and hotsync the second one.

Edited by ThePropers

another question, After I have added the wanted points on my palm is there a way to see the locations on a map while still looking on the palm?

Are you asking if you can copy the map page to your palm?

It depends on your palm, its memory, its display resolution etc. Can it store and display images? If so, you probably can.

I have a Palm Pilot Zire 72. It has a high resolution color screen. I do this all the time. The map image looks exactly like what I see on the PC.

There are different ways to do this. Here is one.

step one: display what you want to see on your PC screen. Then, press ALT and the PRINT SCRN key together. It won't look like anything happened, but you just copied your screen to the clipboard.

step two: open your paint program.

step three: go to edit, choose PASTE, and the image should appear.

step three: save the image. Use the SAVE AS command to name it. Save it to the desktop.

step four: open your palm program and go to the media page (or whereever you store your photos)

step five: drag the image from the desktop to the media page

Thats it. When you sync your palm, the map image will be there.

Hope this helps. There are other ways to do this depending on what programs you use.

Thanks, I know how to do it that way (im a graphic design major) so I knew that was possible. BUT with that option you have to have alot of maps stored on you Palm I was more thinking towards a way to store the map to where you could navigate the map like you can on the computer.

so i still havent figured out how to get all the cache locations in my area in one file so i dont have to hunt down every point within 50 mile of my location....any help would be great!

Okay, try this in the pocket query selections to start with:

Show me 100 caches

Of - select any type, select any container

That - select nothing

And - select nothing

Within - select "none selected"

From Origin - Okay, here's where you have some choices. If you haven't found or set your home coordinates in your user preferences, you might want to. It comes in handy. You can then set the search out to a radius from your home coordinates. You can also enter in and select a nearby cache name... GCXXXX. The rest of the selections are pretty self-explanatory. The radius to search out to is just below the point of origin selection. I'd set the radius to something close like five or ten miles for starters.

Placed during - select "none selected"

That should about do it for finding caches near your home and having the search put them all in one .gpx file.

Good luck and happy caching.

Edited by Bimble Bee

You will get it figured out and your life will never be the same... wait to you figure out how to export a route from your mapping software and get all the caches listed from where you are to where you are going within .3 miles of your route... you stop all day long, take hours to get there but have tons of caches, hints, notes and all along the way.

You could always print out the cache descriptions and take 'em with you. If you have a laptop, PDA, or a PPC you can also d/l the information to that and take it with you. judging from the descriptions I gather that one can (presumably depending on your phone) have some or all of the info sent to yer cell phone.

Digital_Cowboy