Lost cache

drsolly

Doing GCM8PX

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e6-595a0802432b

Um, yes. Well, we parked at a handy nearby place, walked to the bridge, got the info, which took us back to near where we'd parked. As usual, I paced up and down trying to get the best possible fix, while ladysolly got down and looked in the obvious places.

The good news is, she found it.

The bad news is, well, you know how you always have one hand for caching and one hand for yourself? Well, she was holding on with one hand, and had her walking pole in the other hand, which meant that as she reached for the cache, the combination of balance and the pole made her drop it. It splashed into the water, and by the time we'd realised what was happening, it had floated away downstream.

Chasing it wasn't going to be possible; a well-made barbed wire fence stopped any possible chase, unless we'd splashed through the stream, which didn't really appeal.

Later, at a nearby cache, we met terminalsump and told him why he'd been unable to find this cache.

Ladysolly was very upset about this oopsie, but I persuaded her that, in the Great Scheme of Things, this was a pretty minor disaster. And pretty risible, really.

Sorry about the oopsie.

So, here's my question. Does this count as a find (we did find it) or as a DNF (we didn't sign the log). My feeling is, it's a find, because there's been a couple of other logs we couldn't sign, because of extreme sogginess, and I've counted those as finds.

I think if it was me, I'd be more bothered about having lost someone's cache, than whether I could claim it as a find or not.

T

Me too - but perhaps drsolly has already taken steps to replace the cache with a new one in which case they can sign the log. Pity though about the lost geocoin - maybe it will turn up?

To answer the original question, Alibags is the person to ask. On the forum you'll just get opinions and stories (mine coming soon - see below) and advice. Given you didn't sign the log, I believe it has to be at Ali's discretion and a polite 'no' wouldn't be unreasonable.

On losing the cache, I'd like to remember accidents do happen, it wasn't deliberate, and it takes guts to own up to an oopsy. It would have been easy to shrug their shoulders, walk away and log a find. Who would know? When faced with a similar situation in London when I dropped a cache somewhere inaccessible while replacing it, i did the decent thing and put my hand up too, and would hope all -and expect most- cachers would do the same thing. I was lucky that the owner was understanding and let my found log stand as I had signed the log before I lost the whole micro, and didn't have anything with me to replace it with.

I have thought about this overnight. Yes, these things happen, c'est la vie and thanks for owning up. Actually, I am more miffed about the spoilers in your log and now, to compound the fact, in the forums. This is a multi, the clue is 'dont drop it in the water'. I think I would have preferred a brief and non-explicit note on the cache log and just send me the details in a private email.

Anyhow, seeing as we are having this discussion on the forums...

I think that as you live reasonably close and as you now know how easy it is to access the final cache location, my inclination is to say don't claim it as a find this time, drop by and sign it next time you are passing (when it has been replaced). If you lived miles away and it was a significant journey to return to the area, I think I would have let you log it as a find.

I promise not to be grumpy when I see you at the event on the 9th :laughing:

Edited by Alibags

Chasing it wasn't going to be possible; a well-made barbed wire fence stopped any possible chase, unless we'd splashed through the stream, which didn't really appeal.

Whether you log it as a find or not is up to you. But it's disappointing that you gave up just because getting wet feet didn't appeal (was the stream was a raging torrent?). Surely the box would have fetched up on the bank further down, or possibly floated into a more accessible area. As the cache is only a short distance from home I would have expected a bit more of a rescue effort - at least on behalf of the geocoin.

Well, you did ask for opinions!

HH

I have done that cache myself and the canal is pretty slow moving. In fact I am surprised it ended up in the water. Its a shame you didn't email the owner first and offered to replace the cache. If that was me I would have tried to grab the cache out the water, and if I failed I would have replaced it (I always carry emergency spares) and emailed the owner with an apology :laughing:

I think that as you live reasonably close and as you now know how easy it is to access the final cache location, my inclination is to say don't claim it as a find this time, drop by and sign it next time you are passing (when it has been replaced).

It may be safer to allow them to log the find. Lightning never strikes twice. :laughing:

I think that as you live reasonably close and as you now know how easy it is to access the final cache location, my inclination is to say don't claim it as a find this time, drop by and sign it next time you are passing (when it has been replaced).

It may be safer to allow them to log the find. Lightning never strikes twice. :unsure:

I have already contemplated the idea of a safety line for the replacement cache. Or, cut my losses, have an underwater cache!! :laughing:

I did apologise, as well as owning up. I suppose I could have just walked away without owning up, but that didn't actually occur to me. Accidents happen, and I'm sorry, on behalf of ladysolly, for the fumble.

Grabbing it might have been possible if ladysolly had acted immediately, but it's easy to be wise in hindsight. She didn't realise it would float away, she said, she thought it would stay where it was. Remember, at the time, she wasn't really interested in the water flow. By the time we'd collected our thoughts, it had floated away, and to chase after it (which I did actually consider) would have meant either jumping into the water (depth unknown at the time), or else climbing over a well-constructed barbed wire fence (and I'm not sure that I could actually have climbed over it, and anyway barbed wire fences are supposed to keep out people like me.

On the spolier - since this is a Grand Union Canal cache, surely mentioning the fat of a water hazard isn't giving too much away? And we hadn't read the clue at the time of fumbling the cache. But if you say the log gave away too much, I apologise for that also, but I thought that the incident was sufficiently funny to be worth recounting.

So I'm sorry that my posting came across as being more about whether I can claim the cache, that was supposed to be a slightly humourous ending to a rather silly (but non-fatal) accident.

And yes, I'm willing to replace the cache myself, but I don't know what the protocol for this kind of accident is, I've only been doing this for a few months. So - how should I make recompense for the loss of the log and the traveller?

I have been reading this thread with interest. I teach my daughter that to be honest is the best thing to do, but reading nearly all of the comments on here, obviously I am wrong in this way of thinking. :laughing:

drsolly did say in his initial post that ladysolly was really upset, that is a sign of remorse. drsolly was quite right in pointing out that it is a minor disaster in the larger scheme of things. I can't help thinking that people on this thread have been harsh towards an honest and fairly new person to this hobby.

I would hate to guess how many muggled caches that have just disappeared are actually due to a geocacher keeping their mouths shut! I reckon quite a few?

Well Done drsolly for owning up to the accident. Perhaps your question about logging it as a find wasn't put across well, but at least you gave an account on what has happened to a cache that would otherwise have just been put down to muggles.

Well if the box is watertight all is not lost, espescially considering what happened to This cache . And considering that the canal isn't exactly a raging torrent it probably hasn't got any further than the next lock, so I reckon Drsolly should offer up a prize (BEER) and Alibags should stick a note on the log pages of the rest of the series to get everyone to keep an eye out for it and it might well turn up.

I will replace the cache myself, thanks for the offer. This will give me a chance to re-work the hide if I think it's worthwhile (and go fishing for lost caches!).

Describing the cache location, as your log and both forum posts do will always be considered as a spoiler, I am afraid. The words 'river' and 'canal' are not synonymous. I have encrypted your log on the cache. In the end, my canal caches are meant to be simple to find and a bit of fun, so I am not going to get too 'bent out of shape' about this. It was an accident as you say, after all.

I have been reading this thread with interest. I teach my daughter that to be honest is the best thing to do, but reading nearly all of the comments on here, obviously I am wrong in this way of thinking. :laughing:

drsolly did say in his initial post that ladysolly was really upset, that is a sign of remorse. drsolly was quite right in pointing out that it is a minor disaster in the larger scheme of things. I can't help thinking that people on this thread have been harsh towards an honest and fairly new person to this hobby.

I would hate to guess how many muggled caches that have just disappeared are actually due to a geocacher keeping their mouths shut! I reckon quite a few?

Well Done drsolly for owning up to the accident. Perhaps your question about logging it as a find wasn't put across well, but at least you gave an account on what has happened to a cache that would otherwise have just been put down to muggles.

I seldom post on the boards these days having got my fingers burnt, but will say I agree with Haggis Hunter.

I suspect that the next person to do something similar might think twice before going public.

Well if the box is watertight all is not lost, espescially considering what happened to This cache . And considering that the canal isn't exactly a raging torrent it probably hasn't got any further than the next lock, so I reckon Drsolly should offer up a prize (BEER) and Alibags should stick a note on the log pages of the rest of the series to get everyone to keep an eye out for it and it might well turn up.

It isn't going to turn up at the next lock, but I'm wary about explaining why, having already given away too much.

It isn't going to turn up at the next lock, but I'm wary about explaining why, having already given away too much.

You mean they don't have locks on a river, oooooops :laughing:

One possibility, would be to own up in an email to the cache owner, but not publicly. But I thought that this was a funny incident, so I thought it was worth sharing.

I bet it will be a talking point at a few events. :laughing:

The main thing is to keep everything in perspective. It was a cache in the stream and not a cacher.

You mean they don't have locks on a river, oooooops :laughing:

Yes they do, the River Thames has several for example.

A harsh response? Perhaps, but I think that the attempt at humour backfired - sorry if I was one of those that were a bit hard on the OP though. If it hadn't been for the geocoin, I think that I would have been more sympathetic; it did sound like a stream rather than a river (I'd realised that it isn't the canal), and I can't imagine just walking away without a fair attempt at retrieving tha cache. Or at least returning later in wellies and having another look.

Credit for admitting the error, however, and for trying to keep the topic light!

HH

The main thing is to keep everything in perspective. It was a cache in the stream and not a cacher.

Quite! Although I am not especially finding this side splittingly funny, it's just a hunt for a lunchbox after all!

I shall place a replacement cache... the only bad publicity is no publicity... come and do my cache everyone... bring your wellies! :P

STOP PRESS, latest news...

It seems that this story will have a happy ending after all. I just got a message from local cacher Third Degree Witch and it seems that he has found the cache, replaced it and retrieved the geocoin. So a BIG public thank you to him and relief all round.

:(:huh::(

Another good caching story to share with friends around a campfire :(

I'm glad all is well with the cache and TDW got the bonus of finding a the coin too.

A harsh response? Perhaps, but I think that the attempt at humour backfired - sorry if I was one of those that were a bit hard on the OP though. If it hadn't been for the geocoin, I think that I would have been more sympathetic; it did sound like a stream rather than a river (I'd realised that it isn't the canal), and I can't imagine just walking away without a fair attempt at retrieving tha cache. Or at least returning later in wellies and having another look.

Credit for admitting the error, however, and for trying to keep the topic light!

HH

I agree. I guess i had left my sense of humour some where else when i read the first post. I guess it just proves the old saying that you should never judge a book by it's cover! any way i apologise for any hurt feelings and i hope you continue to enjoy your caching. (although maybe some sticky gloves would be in order! :huh:

i'm glad the story turned out ok

It seems that this story will have a happy ending after all. I just got a message from local cacher Third Degree Witch and it seems that he has found the cache, replaced it and retrieved the geocoin. So a BIG public thank you to him and relief all round.

:huh::(:(

Hurrah! Well, that is good news. I would never have thought it would turn up.

Next time we go for that cache, I'll get it myself while ladysolly watches.

:laughing::ph34r::ph34r:

Bit of backward logic here but......

Its a shame that cache has been found and replaced in the same place.

If it had been found and then had the new co-ords logged on the site before being released again downstream this could be the first UK cache which moves and so becomes a mystery cache with no fixed location until a cacher locates it further downstream.

Am i making sense?

:laughing:B):ph34r:

Bit of backward logic here but......

Its a shame that cache has been found and replaced in the same place.

If it had been found and then had the new co-ords logged on the site before being released again downstream this could be the first UK cache which moves and so becomes a mystery cache with no fixed location until a cacher locates it further downstream.

Am i making sense?

Erm sorry to disillusion you :ph34r: do a search for Cuckoo Cache Too B)

And just to remind every one, this is grandfathered in as moving caches are not accepted for publication any more