Observation for NY LI Cachers

seakayak

I just vistied LI for the first time since leaving it many years ago. Decided to find some Cahes.. Had friends along who currently live there. I couldn't help but notice the lack of description of even the general area a cache is placed. W attempted 3 that we couldn't even get within a half mile of because of private property and poor description of parks were the caches were. One in particular said "Possibly part of Tiffany Preserve.." It was no were near the preserve. It was a half mile away with no access from the preserve. Another in Manhasset "FISH WALK.." did not mention the park it is in.. I happen to know the area so I could find it. But my friend who lives one town over and lived there his whole life, did not have any idea were the cache was when he saw it. I live in New England and most of our caches are relatively easy to localize.. but we had a big problem with LI. You may disagree with me, and that is fine.. Just an observation..

Great sport.. My GPS and I will be back..

I just vistied LI for the first time since leaving it many years ago. Decided to find some Cahes.. Had friends along who currently live there. I couldn't help but notice the lack of description of even the general area a cache is placed. W attempted 3 that we couldn't even get within a half mile of because of private property and poor description of parks were the caches were. One in particular said "Possibly part of Tiffany Preserve.." It was no were near the preserve. It was a half mile away with no access from the preserve. Another in Manhasset "FISH WALK.." did not mention the park it is in.. I happen to know the area so I could find it. But my friend who lives one town over and lived there his whole life, did not have any idea were the cache was when he saw it. I live in New England and most of our caches are relatively easy to localize.. but we had a big problem with LI. You may disagree with me, and that is fine.. Just an observation..

Great sport.. My GPS and I will be back..

Here's the problem... You were in Nassau County :) Come on down the road to Suffolk County and you'll find a truckload of great ammo cans and lock and Locks in nice parks that are easy to find.

Here's one example, and you can find about 20 more in this park...

I agree with Hukilaulau, Suffork Co. has great caches in it. I spend about 40% of my weekends there. I was trying to get all the caches done on the North and South fork but so far have only managed the North fork. DD&J kill me from doing this. Most of the caches have the parking coords right on the cache sheet if needed and if you need any permits the link is there also. Most even tell you how long of a hike it will be.

I am going to get some flack here but if you ask me LI begins at Riverrhead. The rest is just New Yawk (spoke like a person from Boston).

PBS...deb