Hampshire

The trouble is that number of caches gives no idea of saturation, since some counties are bigger than others. i wrote a little macro from my own database to work out the cache density per square mile of each county, the results of which are here.

The data is from 31st Oct, which makes it slightly out of date, but it gives a good idea.

T

Edit to add: new caches are not currently showing up on GUK, so in all likelihood, the 500th has already been placed.

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

I was just browsing the cache saturation of various counties, and notice Hampshire is on 499 caches at the moment, so who's going to place the 500th?

Caches set by country at GeocacheUK

The race is on ...

According to my GSAK database (which shows the 1st placed in Hampshire as being 06/07/2001 - there may well be and probably are earlier ones) as of Sunday 19th there are .....

521 available caches in Hampshire

22 temporarily unavailable

183 that are archived

A total of 726.

I think, therefore, the "race" is a non-starter. :)

Edited by Hi-Tek

These stats brought out the real anorak in me ... sadly sadly I'll confess to having found them surprisingly interesting.

What is it about TAYSIDE? I know its a large county, full of beauty etc - but that's a lot of caches by any standards placed by not a vast number of folk. The same applies to N Yorks Cumbria.

London I can understand but the vast majority in central London are micros, so the experience is not quite the same.

Sorting by caches per square mile is also interesting. Ignoring the Isles of Scilly ( no offence ), what is it about Tyne and Wear? Well done folks ( in one sense ).

Its obvious that Yorkshire, North-West and Home Counties cachers predominate - hardly surprising I suppose.

Wales and the Welsh borders rank almost along with the French as non-cachers .... ??? I haven't checked, but are there many Welsh caches listed only in Welsh?

Tx for the figures

These stats brought out the real anorak in me ... sadly sadly I'll confess to having found them surprisingly interesting.

What is it about TAYSIDE? I know its a large county, full of beauty etc - but that's a lot of caches by any standards placed by not a vast number of folk. The same applies to N Yorks Cumbria.

London I can understand but the vast majority in central London are micros, so the experience is not quite the same.

Sorting by caches per square mile is also interesting. Ignoring the Isles of Scilly ( no offence ), what is it about Tyne and Wear? Well done folks ( in one sense ).

Its obvious that Yorkshire, North-West and Home Counties cachers predominate - hardly surprising I suppose.

Wales and the Welsh borders rank almost along with the French as non-cachers .... ??? I haven't checked, but are there many Welsh caches listed only in Welsh?

Tx for the figures

I'm doing my best !

Out of interest where did you get the Area number for each county? could use it to add the same output to

It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I pulled it out of the 1991 census data. It was a bit time consuming, but I can send you a spreadsheet with tha data on if you like - email me through our profile if you want it.

T

Out of interest where did you get the Area number for each county? could use it to add the same output to

It was a while ago, but I'm pretty sure I pulled it out of the 1991 census data. It was a bit time consuming, but I can send you a spreadsheet with tha data on if you like - email me through our profile if you want it.

T

Thanks for the offer, :unsure: but I just found that the area (in hectares) and the population already exist in the GeocacheUK Database :unsure: I just never noticed :laughing: , now to actully use this data on the page...