Geocaching Fiction

mgbmusic

I was wondering if there are any fiction books out there with Geocaching as the subject matter. and i'm not talking about the GPSthemovie wannabe film which may or may not ever see the silver screen...

The reason I ask is because I've been thinking about writing one. I've never written a book before (one attempt about 15 years ago got me 200 pages before I hit a brick wall. :anibad:) but I thought this could potentially make an interesting adventure novel. I' m thinking about some kind of competition for a prize slighter more valuable than Mctoys, but I just wanted to get an idea if something like this had been done before.

I might even tap into the forums for some ideas once I get the frame work fleshed out, but writing is all about research research research.

My first question (second if you include the fiction question) is - What are some of the most unbelievable caches you've come across. Either scenic, clever, puzzlers, etc that will stay with you for the rest of your lives? I'd love to write about the 26 I've found, but golly gee, I'm thinknig there are some others out there. And of course, the names will be changed to protect the innocent.

Thanks in advance all

--MGB

Yes, a number of Shakespeare's works -- written in the late 1500s and early 1600s -- feature geocaching as the primary mode of recreation and outdoor activity for many of his main characters. Of course, there were only nine GPS satellites available in those days, and GPSr technology was less sophisticated and bulkier, and that, coupled with the fact that the only batteries available were zinc-carbon technology D cells, meant that the GPSrs were larger. And, of course, due to limitations on GPSr accuracy and reolution, plus the primiate state of the WGS84 datum mapping at that time, GPSrs could only get you within about 250 feet of a geocache hide spot.

Are there even earlier instances of mentions of geocaching in literature prior to Shakespeare's time? Well, there are some historians and biblical experts who claim that numerous examples of geocaching may even be found in the New Testament of the Bible, and a number of so-called "Bible Code" experts (who always seem to be warring with each other, by the way) claim that numerous WGS84 waypoints may be found deeply encoded in some of the books of the New Testament. In fact, if I recall correctly, one of the major theses of one of the chapters in the book on bible codes entitled Healing Codes of the Biological Apocalypse by Dr. Leonard Horowitz and Dr. Joseph Puelo is that the map datum used in these coded biblical waypoints was truly WGS84, and not WGS82, as was claimed by Dr. Michael Drosnin in his book Bible Code. Of course, the picture grows incredibly murky at this point, as Horowitz and Puelo also accuse Drosnin of being a CIA stooge who wrote his book on bible codes as a deliberate red herring on behalf of the CIA, the Illuminati, the Bilderberg Cabal and the Trilateral Commission to mislead serious scholars and to keep them from dicsovering the the true messages in the Bible and also to keep them from discovering the true Solfeggio frequencies and the waypoint coordinates for... ho, never mind; if you were meant to know, you would have read the book.

There are also rumors that some of the writings of the Knights Templar dating to 1460 mention geocaching, but since these were solely works of non-fiction, they will not count as examples of geocaching found in works of fiction.

:laughing::unsure:

:unsure::unsure:

Keep an eye out for this one due out next year.

Author's Website

I managed to score an advanced copy of it last week. It looks interesting and geocaching (along with letterboxing) plays a role in the plot.

Bret

WOW!!! Better inspiration not to be had. I LOVE David Morrell! I got hooked on Brotherhood and Fraternity and have since read ever book he's published. He recently wrote Creepers - about those who go into old abandoned buildings that was pretty good. Morrell + Geocaching...I can't friggin' wait. Of course that kinda raises the bar for me.... :laughing:

--MGB

P.S. - Any chance you could share that advance copy? :unsure:

Edited by mgbmusic

WOW!!! Better inspiration not to be had. I LOVE David Morrell! I got hooked on Brotherhood and Fraternity and have since read ever book he's published. He recently wrote Creepers - about those who go into old abandoned buildings that was pretty good. Morrell + Geocaching...I can't friggin' wait. Of course that kinda raises the bar for me.... :D

--MGB

P.S. - Any chance you could share that advance copy? :D

I just started it today, but had a very difficult time putting it down. It's got a definite DaVinci Code feel to it so far, but I'm early into it.

This is the first time I've read any of Morrell's stuff. From what I've seen so far I'd really like to go back and give his first book a shot...I hear it's much better than the movie. :P

As for sharing the advanced copy...hmmmm...I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that. I'll be sure to write a good book report, though. :D

Bret

WOW!!! Better inspiration not to be had. I LOVE David Morrell! I got hooked on Brotherhood and Fraternity and have since read ever book he's published. He recently wrote Creepers - about those who go into old abandoned buildings that was pretty good. Morrell + Geocaching...I can't friggin' wait. Of course that kinda raises the bar for me.... :huh:

--MGB

P.S. - Any chance you could share that advance copy? :(

I just started it today, but had a very difficult time putting it down. It's got a definite DaVinci Code feel to it so far, but I'm early into it.

This is the first time I've read any of Morrell's stuff. From what I've seen so far I'd really like to go back and give his first book a shot...I hear it's much better than the movie. :(

As for sharing the advanced copy...hmmmm...I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that. I'll be sure to write a good book report, though. :(

Bret

Ok, Now that I'm over my insane jealousy knowing that there's a book from a favorite author of mine about a favorite hobby of mine less than 300 miles away...Anyone else ever seen/read/heard about anything. Of course I am well versed in the works of shakespeare and the bible and their numerous geocaching references, but I was hoping for something a bit more contemporary...

--MGb

Edit: Spelling...If I say "I can't spell today" every day, does that mean I just can't spell?

Edited by mgbmusic

Yes, a number of Shakespeare's works -- written in the late 1500s and early 1600s -- feature geocaching as the primary mode of recreation and outdoor activity for many of his main characters. Of course, there were only nine GPS satellites available in those days,.......

Ahh! Vinny! You are back! In classic style! You have been truly missed . :anicute::ph34r::laughing:

Edited by SharpShin'

Yes, a number of Shakespeare's works -- written in the late 1500s and early 1600s -- feature geocaching as the primary mode of recreation and outdoor activity for many of his main characters. Of course, there were only nine GPS satellites available in those days,.......

Ahh! Vinny! You are back! In classic style! You have been truly missed . :laughing::anicute::ph34r:

John, thanks for the kind words! I have been very busy in my laboratory with projects and also with travel (including a trip to Western MI) and so got back on the forums a day or two ago for the first time in perhaps a month.

Today's cacher had a series they ran, I guess overall it would qualify as a short story, or maybe novella?

Here is the first chapter that appeared in Feb 2005 Serial Finder. You can find the other chapters in our archives. I'll see if we can get all the chapters combined in on place for easier reading.

El Diablo

I did notice that one of the 2006 links back to chapter 1

didn't have a chapter in that month? because I don't think I missed a chapter when I just finished the last one.

Today's cacher had a series they ran, I guess overall it would qualify as a short story, or maybe novella?

Here is the first chapter that appeared in Feb 2005 Serial Finder. You can find the other chapters in our archives. I'll see if we can get all the chapters combined in on place for easier reading.

El Diablo

I did notice that one of the 2006 links back to chapter 1

didn't have a chapter in that month? because I don't think I missed a chapter when I just finished the last one.

To tell you the truth...I don't know. I never read more than the first chapter. It wasn't my cup of tea. I can tell you that the author IceCreamMan had a huge following and it was probably the most popular thing we ever ran in the magazine. I wish he would write another series.

El Diablo

El Diablo

Thanks E.D. That's hat I'm looking for. I'll have to read the whole series. It's fun combining my two favorite hobbies- reading and caching. I have most of the plot points worked out in my head. Now I just have to deal with that pesky copy :laughing:

Who knows, maybe I'll have to fight with my (not yet existent) publisher to get GC.com the rights to sell the book first...

--MGb

I finally got to finish "Scavenger" today. An interesting read. I'm not sure what I would compare it to now. There's sort of a DaVinci Code element to it, but it's not really in the same category as that when it comes to mysteries and puzzles.

I hate to give anything away, but I think most cachers will enjoy the references made to the games. Sure, you could get nitpicky (Morrell refers to the first cache hidden as being in a metal box :blink: ). But all-in-all we're represented very well.

And Garmin fans will be delighted to know that the only GPS mentioned is the eTrex. :unsure:

I guess it's due out in March...too late for Santa...maybe start askin' the Easter Bunny.

Bret

Bret,

Can you post the back cover synopsis of Scavenger? That would be awesome. I haven't been able to find out what the book is about, though I'm not sure the advanced copy has that. Does geocaching play a central role in the plot or is it just an interesting aside?

I am an author and I've been thinking about writing a novel about geocaching. The problem is that the idea I have is outside of the genre I normally write in. Well, I will keep thinking about it, unless Mr. Morrell has already written my idea ;-).

Thanks!!

Bret,

Can you post the back cover synopsis of Scavenger?

Welcome to SCAVENGER, a desperate high-tech scavenber hunt for a 100-year-old time capsule. Frank Balenger, the resolute but damaged hero of Morrell's award-winning Creepers, finds himself trapped in a nightmarish game of fear and death. To save himself and Amanda, the woman he loves, he must play by the rules of a god-like Game Master with an obsession for unearthing the past. But sometimes the past is buried for a reason. The result is a chilling palimpsest, one that contains the secret of survival for Balenger and Amanda as they race against the game's clock to solve the puzzle of the time capsule, only to discover that time is the true scavenger. Morrell's trademark action sequences are embedded with fascinating historical clues that make SCAVENGER a thrill-a-minute page turner as well as a mesmerizing literary experience.

Bret