Can I adopt abandoned cache (owner is AWOL)?

Today I found a cache in a beautiful location, but the cache itself has pretty much become geolitter. Totally soaking wet, couldn't even sign log, drying this off is pretty much impossible. I even saw something in the cache that I first thought was a chalk board eraser... turned out it was a disposable camera that had become mush.

There are a number of log entries of people pointing out the awful condition of the cache, no response from owner and that owner hasn't logged on in almost 3 months.

I'd be happy to fix the cache and adopt it, but what do you do if the owner appears gone? How long would he have to not log on before geocaching.com can just give the cache to someone else without owner's permission? Regardless of adoption or not, I'm probably going to go replace the container and log, and clean the contents anyway. Although, his container isn't just tupperware... its custom made... it happens to leak like a sieve and is unnecessary, but I'm still reluctant to replace someone's custom-made container. (Maybe just put a smaller better container inside the leaky container?)

(This isn't the first I've found abandoned... there's a local geocacher around here who hasn't been paying attention to any of his caches in over a year. I did develop/replace the camera in one of his caches.)

I did something like that on Okinawa, though not officially. I recovered a pink Nestle's Quik bunny container that was trash at the site and put some things inside just so others behind me would have something to find. One person turned his nose up at my doing that but at least 4 or 5 cachers behind me had something to find, unlike me. I have found other caches in poor repair and tried to improve them. I always email the owner later and leave it for them.

I've fixed a destroyed cache before when the owner didn't care and didn't fix it.

so, yes, you can adopt the cache and fix it, in fact it's quite common.

but can you "officially" adopt the cache without the owner? I don't think so, especially if it's only been a few months. I think you should be able to, in fact I think it should be automated if a needs maintenance log isn't answered within a month or two the cache should be automatically put up for adoption.

but that's not the case I don't think.

Please see this post about adoption procedures in the FAQ thread that's pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum.

This cache is not yet "ripe" for a non-consensual adoption. Your reviewer will be looking for efforts on the OP's part to contact the cache owner, and at least six months of inactivity on the owner's account.

If the owner remains active but is ignoring the cache, the proper remedy is to archive the cache for lack of maintenance. This frees up the area for the placement of a new, properly maintained cache.

Maybe the geolitter will get archived someday if left there long enough.

You said the cache was a quality location, I'd encourage you to make the effort to go pick it up and fix it.

There is a good number of really good caches around here that the owners are long gone, but cachers have kept them going by replacing or drying logs, containers, swag, etc.

without much effort, you can determine whether future finders will have a good or bad experience at that cache.

I know a lot of cachers already do this, I don't understand why so many won't do it.

Speaking from experience, it's easy and it really is a good feeling to get a broken cache back on track.

I'd like to fix up his cache, although what do I do with his junky custom-made PVC container? Just toss it? Might as well... he may not ever notice that his cache has been refreshed, so he may not miss his container.

If at all possible I'd put it up somewhere for a while just in case they do become active again & want it back.

You never know how some people will react.

FWIW, you're doing a good thing.

As long as you make a log saying the container was broken and leaking, and that's why you replaced it, I don't see a problem. Frankly, at this point, it's already trash anyway.

I'd probably throw it in my garage or backyard somewhere for a while, just because I'm usually extra cautious. But I really can't imagine that being a necessity.

Today I went back there and realized that the cache is on Mass. Audubon Society property. I'm pretty sure they don't allow (or at least get annoyed by) caches, and besides the signs around the perimeter say "no electronic devices" (whatever for??). So, I won't be trying to fix up that one after all. It probably should be archived.

Today I found a hide for my own cache in the same woods but not on MAS property. I'll complete the deployment of it next weekend.

Today I went back there and realized that the cache is on Mass. Audubon Society property. I'm pretty sure they don't allow (or at least get annoyed by) caches, and besides the signs around the perimeter say "no electronic devices" (whatever for??). So, I won't be trying to fix up that one after all. It probably should be archived.

Today I found a hide for my own cache in the same woods but not on MAS property. I'll complete the deployment of it next weekend.

I suggest posting a should be archived log. This would bring it to the attention of a reviewer.

Jim

Kc8bdr

Talk to your local reviewer.

A cache can be adopted without the owners consent, but I don't know the details of the procedure.

I made the mistake of logging a needs maintenance on a cache that had disappeared in the month since I had found it. I placed a plastic ziplock bag with temp log and minor swag and noted this in my needs maintenance log. The reviewer read the log, found out that the owner had not logged on for greater than one year, and thus archived the cache.

I was told that I could place a cache in the same spot and use the same name but I couldn't just adopt it. I then tracked down the owner through other means and he gave me permission to adopt the cache. When I passed this info to the reviewer, I was still told it couldn't be adopted.

So now if I place a permanent container in the same spot, it will show up as a new cache and all the old logs will be lost to the archived cache.

Talk to your local reviewer.

A cache can be adopted without the owners consent, but I don't know the details of the procedure.

I made the mistake of logging a needs maintenance on a cache that had disappeared in the month since I had found it. I placed a plastic ziplock bag with temp log and minor swag and noted this in my needs maintenance log. The reviewer read the log, found out that the owner had not logged on for greater than one year, and thus archived the cache.

I was told that I could place a cache in the same spot and use the same name but I couldn't just adopt it. I then tracked down the owner through other means and he gave me permission to adopt the cache. When I passed this info to the reviewer, I was still told it couldn't be adopted.

So now if I place a permanent container in the same spot, it will show up as a new cache and all the old logs will be lost to the archived cache.

I believe that forced adoption, and also un-archiving of caches are at the reviewers discretion. Though both are options that they CAN use.

Disregarding MAS for a momment...

I feel if you want to replace the container and recycle/clean as much of the contents as practical, go right ahead. And if you choose to log or not that you did is up to you. I would save the container and as much of whatever didn't go back in as you could (camera sounds like it should hit the trash) in case the original owner wants the stuff back. I wouldn't save anything that would become a storage problem esspecially if it starts to get moldy.

The best bet is to replace the cache, logbook and swag. Post a note on the page stating that you've done this so you local reviewer knows that someone is maintaining the cache. Also, post a note on the cache page stating you want to adopt this cache and try to get in touch with the owner asking if he/she is interested in passing the cache along to you.

The general rule of thumb around GC is that once a cache is archived, it done archived for good. So having the proper documentation on the cache's page, detailing your intentions will go a long way in keeping the cache from being archived.

It courteous for GC.com to wait 6+ months for inactivity on the original cachers account. Of course, it's still possible that a cache owner that is ignoring his caches and emails, may click on a link in the an email cache notification and automatically login to his/her account and reset his last login counter.

In which case, the cache might never be "ripe" for you to right out adopt the cache. However, you local caching buddies will be very appreciated of you efforts to keep the cache alive and in good shape, and you never know when your effort might make a good impression on the sport.

If the world is our playground, let's try to keep it neat and enjoyable for everyone that comes along.